• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft President Brad Smith: Not only will COD will continue to be on Playstation, we'd like to bring it to Nintendo devices

Plantoid

No arguments on the subscriptions.

Streaming doesn’t have the infrastructure in place for everyone to abandon boxes and stream everything. That is a massive amount of traffic.
Maybe not everyone demands high quality gaming and it's all about offering the most convenient way of gaming? Just like mp3 songs or streaming video

Also I don't think traffic is that much of a problem considering the bandwidth of 5g and fiber.

FrankWza

Hope has nothing to do with it. I KNOW I'll be able to play every new cod game for free on game pass. You don't even know if you'll be able to play the new games at all on your ps, regardless of how much you're willing to spend. It's an uncertain time for you. Not for me
Coping?lol. Why would I be coping? I own an xsx. Do you? No? Then you're in an uncertain time and that makes you antsy. There's a reason you have the most posts in this thread. You're panicking. Not a good look!
antony starr banshee GIF by Cinemax

Thirty7ven

Banned
woooah there. Let's not say things we can't take back.

I think Crash as a game and as an iconic character belongs to the PS1 days, and while there’s nostalgia value in it, it’s very much a product of its time.

Let’s not act like it’s Super Mario now just because MS bought AB. It’s a largely ignored and inconsequential IP today.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I think Crash as a game and as an iconic character belongs to the PS1 days, and while there’s nostalgia value in it, it’s very much a product of its time.

Let’s not act like it’s Super Mario now just because MS bought AB. It’s a largely ignored and inconsequential IP today.

As a fan since the PS1 days I resent that :p

Yeah, people got their nostalgia fill with the remakes. Hence why Crash 4 didn't do as well and TFB ended up as a support studio.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
No because he’s talking about cloud and that has been a complete dud so far.

Let’s not pretend Stadia and Xcloud weren’t pushed, they were.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
That like saying nobody cares bout Ratchet or Returnal which is false and you know it
Ratchet sold a million while Returnal topped out at 500k a few months after launch. Yes, its technically inaccurate, but when comparing These smaller franchises to big juggernauts like Call of Duty, TLOU, Uncharted, Spiderman and GOW that sell 4 million in 3 days, its fair to say no one gives a shit about crash and spyro in the grand scheme of things.

Its why Activision had all their studios work on COD last year. It's the only thing that matters.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
You can’t disagree that Microsoft’s mix messaging is what creating threads like this one min everything’s game pass one min we are the gaming jizz god all our games are great for gamers except the ones we make exclusive. No we putting games everywhere like you can’t fault him for saying what he’s saying. Microsoft still has a messaging problem.
There is no mixed messaging. Zenimax will be console exclusive, COD will be multiplat and for Blizzard IPs we will probably know when they are revealed like Starfield. Its fanboys who are deriving implications about MS going full multiplat and abandoning there platform from this.

Chukhopops

No because he’s talking about cloud and that has been a complete dud so far.

Let’s not pretend Stadia and Xcloud weren’t pushed, they were.
GeForce Now reached 12M users in two years despite being ridiculously expensive and with limited availability. That’s far from a dud in my opinion.

Nvidia also confirmed up-to-date figures for GeForce Now, which is used by over 12 million gamers as of this week.

The fact Sony is just now rushing to do what Microsoft has been building with Xbox for the past 6 years should be an indication that Phil was right.

There is no mixed messaging. Zenimax will be console exclusive, COD will be multiplat and for Blizzard IPs we will probably know when they are revealed like Starfield. Its fanboys who are deriving implications about MS going full multiplat and abandoning there platform from this.
There is mix messaging they can be more clear as to what there intentions are. We knew call of duty was staying on PlayStation same as all the other bathesda titles that stayed on PlayStation nothing new. But when you’re putting out a press release saying other big activision games will remain multi platform you’re saying the live service games which no one expected to go exclusive. But say that don’t make it seem as if you’re making everything on multi platform while putting other games exclusive and it’s going to lead to port begging threads of people asking well you put this why not that. Sony and Nintendo aren’t put their games on Xbox mlb is there because it was literally forced.

There is mix messaging they can be more clear as to what there intentions are. We knew call of duty was staying on PlayStation same as all the other bathesda titles that stayed on PlayStation nothing new. But when you’re putting out a press release saying other big activision games will remain multi platform you’re saying the live service games which no one expected to go exclusive. But say that don’t make it seem as if you’re making everything on multi platform while putting other games exclusive and it’s going to lead to port begging threads of people asking well you put this why not that. Sony and Nintendo aren’t put their games on Xbox mlb is there because it was literally forced.

Maybe they can't be more clear until the acquisition is complete. There are a lot of things you can't say publicly when acquiring another company like this. With the Zenimax acquisition there were plenty of questions with the answer "I can't speak about that right now" and this is way bigger than that was.

Maybe they can't be more clear until the acquisition is complete. There are a lot of things you can't say publicly when acquiring another company like this. With the Zenimax acquisition there were plenty of questions with the answer "I can't speak about that right now" and this is way bigger than that was.
Yeah but it’s either that or don’t say anything till you can. Because now they’re in a loose loose situation. If they carrying on with their big live as service games including call of duty being multi platform which is what they’re communicating. The next call of duty campaign being exclusive will create a shit storm now because people are under the impression that Alli the games are coming multi platform when that’s not the case.

kingfey

Banned
They have the tools to do it.
We just saw 3 massive buyout in 2 years period. Bethesda $7.5b, Bungie $3b, and Activision $68.7b. 2 of those are from MS.

The other guys have alot money, than MS on hand. They have enough cash money to buy Sony and Nintendo at once.

As long as that variable exist, they are the threat.

Sony is nothing without square and Capcom. Take away take2, and they lose alot of users. Take away ubisoft and EA and they lose 80% of user base. Same for xbox.

That is what these guys can do.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
There is mix messaging they can be more clear as to what there intentions are. We knew call of duty was staying on PlayStation same as all the other bathesda titles that stayed on PlayStation nothing new.
umm no? They strongly implied Bethesda will stay exclusive. Even before the purchase was finalized they said all of these
With Zenimax they were slightly vague until the deal was closed. The day the deal was closed they dropped this
But they still made it obvious with statements like
  • Xbox community, what they should feel is a huge investment in the experience they're going to have in the Xbox ecosystem
  • we want the Xbox ecosystem to be the absolute best place to play and we think game availability is absolutely part of that
  • “Is it possible to recoup a $7.5 billion investment if you don’t sell Elder Scrolls VIon the PlayStation?” I asked.

“Yes,” Spencer quickly replied.
  • I’m just answering directly the question that you had—when I think about where people are going to be playing and the number of devices that we had, and we have xCloud and PC and Game Pass and our console base, I don’t have to go ship those games on any other platform other than the platforms that we support in order to kind of make the deal work for us. Whatever that means.
  • our goal is to get as many people into the Xbox community
This is very different from COD where they are saying the opposite.
After they fully acquired they clarified it will be exclusive.
Whereas for COD, they said this

But when you’re putting out a press release saying other big activision games will remain multi platform you’re saying the live service games which no one expected to go exclusive. But say that don’t make it seem as if you’re making everything on multi platform while putting other games exclusive and it’s going to lead to port begging threads of people asking well you put this why not that.
First, some commentators have asked whether we will continue to make popular content like Activision’s Call of Duty available on competing platforms like Sony’s PlayStation. The obvious concern is that Microsoft could make this title available exclusively on the Xbox console, undermining opportunities for Sony PlayStation users.

To be clear, Microsoft will continue to make Call of Duty and other popular Activision Blizzard titles available on PlayStation through the term of any existing agreement with Activision. And we have committed to Sony that we will also make them available on PlayStation beyond the existing agreement and into the future so that Sony fans can continue to enjoy the games they love. We are also interested in taking similar steps to support Nintendo’s successful platform. We believe this is the right thing for the industry, for gamers and for our business.
They are still mostly talking about COD though. Blizzard games don't even have those platform exclusive content deals. Blizzard's new survival IP for example is only advertised as coming to just "PC and console"(instead of consoles). Although that didn't stop some fanboy from imagining it will instead not release on Xbox. I don't get why Microsoft should clarify more for people who interpret everything like that.

Thirty7ven

Banned
GeForce Now reached 12M users in two years despite being ridiculously expensive and with limited availability. That’s far from a dud in my opinion.

I had a founders sub until last month. It’s ok, but it has the same problems any other streaming service will have.

Also saying it has reached 12M users doesn’t mean much. Between them counting the free option and counting everyone who ever used it including those with cancelled accounts like me, yeah…. Super impressive.

Once consoles become an optional purchase and streaming games is nearly imperceptible to local hardware gaming, the only players large enough to control the market would be either Microsoft, Google, or Amazon. Microsoft and Amazon already own/operate the two largest cloud server infrastructures in the world with Azure and AWS while Google is rich enough that they can manage to create their own within a couple years if they really wanted. Sony and Nintendo on the other hand would be forced to rent out servers from a 3rd party which would hinder their ability to provide the best experience.

DrAspirino

Banned
Sony aint letting gamepass on PlayStation, it takes away there business, it not only will decrease number of sony subs, but it would also decrease playstation game sales. It is a huge threat to the PlayStation business.
It depends. For example, they can put only Microsoft owned studios on PS5 and Switch Gamepass, while keeping the sales and everything else. It would be a way for Sony and Nintendo to get the Actiblizz games on their consoles without them losing money on other games. It would be compliant on their words to regulators and would please the other platforms as well, while keeping those games on GamePass.

Also, why would it decrease subs? It would take away subs for people that only play Actiblizz games, but PS+ subs would be fine.

Once consoles become an optional purchase and streaming games is nearly imperceptible to local hardware gaming, the only players large enough to control the market would be either Microsoft, Google, or Amazon. Microsoft and Amazon already own/operate the two largest cloud server infrastructures in the world with Azure and AWS while Google is rich enough that they can manage to create their own within a couple years if they really wanted. Sony and Nintendo on the other hand would be forced to rent out servers from a 3rd party which would hinder their ability to provide the best experience.
Google has their own cloud infra as well - https://cloud.google.com/

Roxkis_ii

If you think streaming games are the future, you need to stop drinking the MS Koolaid. As long as there is any lag at all, it will not surpass playing on a console.

People talk like Microsoft found a way to move data faster then the speed of light.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
It depends. For example, they can put only Microsoft owned studios on PS5 and Switch Gamepass, while keeping the sales and everything else. It would be a way for Sony and Nintendo to get the Actiblizz games on their consoles without them losing money on other games. It would be compliant on their words to regulators and would please the other platforms as well, while keeping those games on GamePass.

Also, why would it decrease subs? It would take away subs for people that only play Actiblizz games, but PS+ subs would be fine.

It would still take away from PS subs and sales.

They are competing for players time, if people are playing Xbox games on PlayStation, thats less time playing games purchased for playstation

Topher

Gold Member
Sony and Nintendo on the other hand would be forced to rent out servers from a 3rd party which would hinder their ability to provide the best experience.

Sony will be using Azure. Why would using Microsoft's cloud "hinder their ability to provide the best experience"?

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

Time will tell

Wake me up when they leave 3rd place
What is this supposed to mean? I assume you drive the best selling vehicle? Own the best selling phone? only #1 for you, right? If you’re not first, you’re last. the fanboy stuff is beyond pathetic now.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I know it's not AB, but I demand a full Switch remaster of both of the Medal of Honor GBA game.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I find it absolutely stunning that some people are so adamant that they somehow magically know what MS is thinking, and railing against anyone who thinks that COD could stay on PS consoles and potentially make their way over to the Switch.

LOL, like who are you? Do you have a crystal ball that allows you to read the future?

This is so insanely dumb.

If you think streaming games are the future, you need to stop drinking the MS Koolaid. As long as there is any lag at all, it will not surpass playing on a console.

People talk like Microsoft found a way to move data faster then the speed of light.
That's nonsense for the simple reason that console gaming already has quite a bit of lag. Adding another 20 ms of latency doesn't change much.

Topher

Gold Member
All part of MS's plan y'see. Give Sony an inferior service and make them move to AWS or Google Cloud instead

Wait no that's not right?

Not sure people understand that Microsoft didn't create Azure for internal use (although obviously they do). They created Azure to sell cloud services to other companies.......like Sony.

That's nonsense for the simple reason that console gaming already has quite a bit of lag. Adding another 20 ms of latency doesn't change much.

There is a noticeably significant difference between playing games locally and gaming on cloud. I see it all the time when I'm firing up games just to fulfill Microsoft Rewards quests. Of course, it is still in beta so hopefully it will improve. Either way, you are not getting 4K (native or otherwise) visuals regardless of the latency any time soon so playing locally is still far superior.

There is a noticeably significant difference between playing games locally and gaming on cloud. I see it all the time when I'm firing up games just to fulfill Microsoft Rewards quests. Of course, it is still in beta so hopefully it will improve. Either way, you are not getting 4K (native or otherwise) visuals regardless of the latency any time soon so playing locally is still far superior.
There is a visual difference, you're watching a video stream with visual artifacts after all. But I've seen several people talk about "speed of light" as a bottleneck for streaming. The fact that 99.9% of console gamers don't even know that there's like a 100 ms lag every time they play locally on a console shows that latency won't be an issue with streaming (for people somewhat close to the datacenters, at least).

Topher

Gold Member
There is a visual difference, you're watching a video stream with visual artifacts after all. But I've seen several people talk about "speed of light" as a bottleneck for streaming. The fact that 99.9% of console gamers don't even know that there's like a 100 ms lag every time they play locally on a console shows that latency won't be an issue with streaming (for people somewhat close to the datacenters, at least).

Proximity to datacenter is a big part of it. Closest to my home is in Virginia which is around 500 miles away and I do notice the lag. It is fine for some games like Minecraft Dungeons, but not so much with Forza or Halo.

Proximity to datacenter is a big part of it. Closest to my home is in Virginia which is around 500 miles away and I do notice the lag. It is fine for some games like Minecraft Dungeons, but not so much with Forza or Halo.

Around 200 miles or so for me. Tried streaming Halo 5 through it and yeah it's borderline unplayable

I imagine xbox fanboys ain't taking too well to this news. They wanted cod exclusivity so Microsoft can attain world domination and they can feel all warm inside. Pretty funny turn of events here. Atleast Microsoft are starting to practice what they preach and let people play where they choose. Imagine if Microsoft announce the same thing for elder scrolls?

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I imagine xbox fanboys ain't taking too well to this news. They wanted cod exclusivity so Microsoft can attain world domination and they can feel all warm inside. Pretty funny turn of events here. Atleast Microsoft are starting to practice what they preach and let people play where they choose. Imagine if Microsoft announce the same thing for elder scrolls?
Its seems more like this is putting sony fanboys over the edge, its causing them to have delusions that this some kind of loss for Xbox and win for PlayStation 😆

Because of crossplay you going to have Xbox COD players telling there PS friends how they get cod for "free" with gamepass and they dont have to shell out $70 each time.

Top Bottom