• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft talking to major Japanese Publishers and small studios for acquisition

Valonquar

ExaltedDiligentEgg-size_restricted.gif

PhaseJump

Banned
What a terrible future gaming has if this is what it's all about. And people try to tell me gaming is better with subscription services...

It gives a cheap entry point to a baseline, shared library for customers, which can increase the user base and keep multiplayer games going. It helps friends pick up and play games based on word of mouth. It gives small developers a huge customer base up front, who might pick up and play something they never would have considered.

If you prefer to hoard your games and "own" them, you are still free to throw away your 70 bucks to do so for physical or digital copies.

Choices are better. What a terrible future, though. Yep.

Barakov

Gold Member
I get your point. I can't recall his stories specifically. Game Informer's been around a long time. I forgot. I just remember he's reported on shit to the point that I noticed. But this thread is about pretty vague and basic stuff anyway. I could predict this one.

If Imran Khan and Jason Schrier post about something, you can say its pretty much confirmed. They are very well connected in the industry.

Not your fault the person you replying to doesn't know who Imran is and it makes sense since he's only joined this forum in April of last year 😂. Imran's been posting on gaming stuff for years and his posts are quoted and discussed heavily on Resetera, a place where they don't take too kindly to fake insiders unlike here on GAF.

Last edited:

Drell

Compared to Embracer, and all the companies Tencent has their hands in, Microsoft isn’t that bad.
The fact "they aren't as bad" (and i'd prefer to say they're as bad IMO) and that the others may use the same kind of practice won't make them appear any more nice to me. The fact MS is holding an indestructible monopoly over computers OS since the 90s doesn't makes me want them to get another one over the video game industry. But yes, you have a point, I don't want embracer, tencent, amazon, google, apple, meta or the prince of the emirates to get that monopoly either. In fact, I'd rather have the antitrust doing something next time MS or any other wants to buy something again.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
I wrote so many words before I deleted them just to write and delete again.

So I’ll keep it simple and polite as much as I can So here it goes. Fuck these wanna be insiders . Don’t fucking talk simple logical things a 12 years think about and claim you are an insider .

People here should really stop promoting these idiots by giving them a platform here.

Sure GAF isn’t as big as a twitter yet but this is still a platform and these attention whores love that attention.

Here is an insider news. Sony is in talk with Japanese devs to buy them

You want more juicy news ? Nintendo is developing its Nintendo switch 2. They are considering calling it super switch or SS for short …

Fuck man…
If you follow history, anytime word starts to spread that Microsoft is talking to publishers or developers, not long after, they pick someone up. I wouldn't make light of it. And it's usually something pretty big. Just putting that out there.

Ozriel

M$FT
Just musing:
There’s nothing in the thread title to show that this is a claim from a single ‘insider’. The title seems to present this as confirmed information.

“Insider claims Microsoft is talking to Japanese publishers and devs for acquisition purposes” seems more apt.

TheTony316

Why even make this thread?

Post Up is a major Xbox fanboy with 0 insider knowledge. All he does is damage control for MS on Nxtgen720s podcast, lol.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

If you follow history, anytime word starts to spread that Microsoft is talking to publishers or developers, not long after, they pick someone up. I wouldn't make light of it. And it's usually something pretty big. Just putting that out there.
Dude Spencer just said a couple of days ago they are going for other studios. These guys spin a few words and bam! “Insider news look at me !! I am an attention whore look at me !! “

A few days ago it was an official statement that even MS CEO sounded like a retard when he said they want competition? We will bring competition or something along these lines.

Last edited:
Isn't Sony more American now than Japanese?

Here-in lies the problem. In the PS3 days, the PS3 and PSP were a very, very healthy second place in Japan with Nintendo getting more sales on major Wii titles and DS/3DS titles. But the PS3 used to shift about 350,000 to 500,000 units per Yakuza title at launch week and about half that the week after. Monster Hunter on PSP used to sell gangbusters. Over 3 3 million per title on PSP from what I remember, at the height of it's popularity anyway.

But Sony has neglected it home market. The Vita died and left a lot of Japan only developers without a core platform as it was good enough there to make a business. Sony gradually stopped making less and less Japanese focused titles. They moved launch priority to the United States first and Europe second and Japan and Asia third. Their major Japanese talent in their internal studios has gone. It's really sad.

However, that said, I really hope this isn't true. Microsoft have bought enough of the market and every Japanese publisher has a core IP that's immeasurably important to gaming as a whole. Konami and core IP, whether they're active or not, that is well loved by the industry. Capcom have huge IP. SEGA have great IP. Namco have great IP. Square have great IP. Tecmo Koei are really growing into a bigger force.

Honestly they should just buy Platinum. They're incredibly overrated and clearly miss their relationship with XBOX. I don't think that would hurt Nintendo or Sony too much, but the publishing rights to Bayonetta would be a big question mark. I'm sure Microsoft would pay for them.

When it was the odd studio Microsoft were acquiring to create a first party team like Sony had, it was pretty interesting and fun. Now they've bought Bethesda, ABK and they're on the lookout for other huge companies, it just doesn't make sense anymore and it isn't fun anymore. I'll be happy when they call it a day now.

Swift_Star

Banned
Remember you said this...
I will. MS will not buy any relevant Japanese company.
They’re not buying
Sega
Capcom
Sqex
Konami
Do you have any source to back they’re buying any of those or is purely wishful thinking? If you have any source, please do share.
Can they buy some no name studio? Yes they can. The big ones? Not gonna happen.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
They’re not buying
Sega
Capcom
Sqex
Konami
Do you have any source to back they’re buying any of those or is purely wishful thinking? If you have any source, please do share.

It's all wishful thinking. Who is arguing otherwise?

We all have absolutely no idea who they will or will not buy, and your angle on any studio being "relevant" or not regarding it is totally lost on me.

I've already read your chronic shit posting on that other bullshitera site when you were banned here. You're clearly biased, and from a console warrior clown planet.

i07VOot.gif

FeldMonster

Targeting is the perfect word to describe this, “Who’s ready to die from irrelevance in your home country!!!”
This doesn't even make sense. You think a Japanese company acquired by Microsoft will be forced to survive financially based on its Japanese sales alone?

Clearly you don't work in any sort of medium to large business.

fallingdove

It gives a cheap entry point to a baseline, shared library for customers, which can increase the user base and keep multiplayer games going. It helps friends pick up and play games based on word of mouth. It gives small developers a huge customer base up front, who might pick up and play something they never would have considered.

If you prefer to hoard your games and "own" them, you are still free to throw away your 70 bucks to do so for physical or digital copies.

It erodes price realization, forces MTX, limits creativity in lieu of copy pasta, reduces the scope of video games, new IPs become even less frequent, subscribers have to endlessly pay into a system to retain any of the games they like, said games disappear due to contract or player count criteria, massive shared libraries of shit indie titles…

Not to mention it forces a future of subscription only gaming (companies go where the money is so “you can still buy $70 games” means very little if games are designed for subscription first).

Choices are better. What a terrible future though. Yep.

PhaseJump

Banned
It erodes price realization, forces MTX, limits creativity in lieu of copy pasta, reduces the scope of video games, new IPs become even less frequent, subscribers have to endlessly pay into a system to retain any of the games they like, said games disappear due to contract or player count criteria, massive shared libraries of shit indie titles…

Not to mention it forces a future of subscription only gaming (companies go where the money is so “you can still buy $70 games” means very little if games are designed for subscription first).

future-is-now-old-man-future.gif

C2brixx

I would love to know examples of limited creativity and lack of new IP because of subscriptions.

fallingdove

I would love to know examples of limited creativity and lack of new IP because of subscriptions.
The lion share of indie titles lack creativity. The big budget games on GamePass are mostly sequels to established franchises.

If you scale GamePass (which Microsoft will have to do in order to make money) game visibility will shrink, forcing developers to double down on trending game gimmicks and or brand awareness (i.e sequelitis). We see the same thing with every other streaming service, we’ve seen it on the Apple App Store, we’ve seen it with GaaS in general.

Quantity is the name of the subscription streaming game, not quality.

Last edited:

MacReady13

So i'm throwing away money owning stuff, am I?

I don't expect anything. But there's a few that are not exactly in great shape these days and would possibly be interested. Level 5 comes to mind for me, if MS isn't too pissed about that True Fantasy Online stunt. Ni No Kuni just dropped on GP. Cyberconnect just put 2 games on Gamepass so they're at least talking. Platinum obviously.

Wouldn't personally take a dev putting a game on GamePass as a potential sign they're up for being acquired, especially when some of these games are years old so it's obvious they're using GamePass as an end-of-life revenue stream for the title.

But if we're talking about realistic options in Japan, and ones that fit the pattern of MS's other gaming acquisitions, the studios you listed are solid picks. They've all seen better days, are down on their luck one way or another, so they could use a big daddy money bailout.

Meltdowns would be epic if MS would acquire anyone like Capcom, Konami or Sega, or even smaller ones, studios like From Software etc. at the same time I tend to believe that MS is always on a lookout for new acquisitions and this “insiders” are just stating the obvious.

On the other hand, with Zenimax and ActiBlizzard It seems that MS is on path to bring as many games to gamepass day 1 as possible via acquisition (instead of paying for this, might have to do with Sony aggressively pushing non-gamepass clauses for any marketing deals they are negotiating) and they have opened their infamous warchest (ridiculed many times).

You mean to tell me Sony didn't want the co-marketing/funding money to be wasted on a game meant to see increased sales revenue, by having another platform leech off their investment giving the game away for "free" in a cheap subscription service? Color me surprised!

If it gets good enough for gaming by 2025/26 (by 'good enough for gaming', I mean you don't have to check a list to see if a game is compatible or not) you could always consider getting Linux mint/pop os/steam os and not have to deal with this bullshit of worrying if the next update will fuck things up or make them better
Plus actually having control over your OS, being able to customize it with 0 issues, no telemetry, being able to edit the code since it's open source, etc. It's like XP/7, but even better.
The only downside I see is that the Xbox app has 0 Linux support. So if you care about gamepass, you'll basically have to get an xbox, assuming you don't have one already

I'm convinced the twenties will be the decade of Linux. If it doesn't take off now with Valves backing, it never will

Yeah I've already been seriously considering making a move to Linux in the near future, the only thing I've worried about is app compatibility. I don't want to fuss around with things like WINE and take a performance hit just to use my go-to apps, but seeing as how WINE has improved a ton over the past 10 years, and now the improvements gaming-wise thanks to Valve's efforts, Linux is looking like an actual legitimate main OS platform.

Plus it has way less overhead than Windows on average, meaning more usable RAM, better CPU & GPU performance (drivers do still play a big role though), etc. If W11 turns out to have some crappy BS or sneaky data-collecting/harvesting to make money off my info with advertisers, or becomes big on bloat, I'm gonna look into a Linux distro.

I'd like to see them set up a first party studio in Japan just to give a big fuck you to Sony on their home turf. Start teaming up and co-developing with all the talent that fled Sony Japan Studio like Bokeh Game Studio and Clap Hanz. Get Mistwalker back on board for first party JRPGs like a Lost Odyssey 2. Just do something more interesting than buying up a studio and letting business go on as usual... except now only for Game Pass.

You people are so shallow about it at this point. More fake narratives, everything is about how it can hurt Sony instead of, y'know, actually benefit Xbox.

And yes I said Xbox, not GamePass. GamePass is starting to look like a scapegoat boogeyman in the equation. If a business model requires rampant consolidation of independent 3P publishers that ends up actively harming other platform holder competitors and even other service providers, then that business model is not sustainable. I'm just gonna put that out there.

DaGwaphics

Sega is ripe for the taking, imo, but a bigger, more interesting target for them would be Capcom, should they be willing to sell. Square? Not impossible, but that would be the biggest middle-finger to Sony this generation.
It makes sense that MS would be targetting japanese firms, seeing as any other substantial acquisition in the the US or Europe would raise a lot of eyebrows at this time. Wait and see...

While I'm sure that more purchases will be coming, I doubt Square would be something they would even think is worth buying. They aren't just throwing money around any which place, they have been choosing to pickup publishers and developers that Xbox players are traditionally interested in. I don't think Square fits that bill, tbh. Should they pickup something in Japan, big or small, I'm sure it will be a dev that has had reasonable success on the Xbox platform, or at the very least is making the type of games that are a good fit for the platform.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
It's all wishful thinking. Who is arguing otherwise?

We all have absolutely no idea who they will or will not buy, and your angle on any studio being "relevant" or not regarding it is totally lost on me.

I've already read your chronic shit posting on that other bullshitera site when you were banned here. You're clearly biased, and from a console warrior clown planet.

i07VOot.gif
At least you admit you’re just wishing for it.
still not gonna happen.
Now back off with the insults. I’m not offending you. Learn how to have a proper conversation.

Last edited:
Microsoft's got a big hole in their 1st party content lineup. Japanese games and JRPGs that have propped up and built the traditional home console market into what it is today.
Acquiring studios there ensures that fans of Japanese content will no longer be left having only late ports of 3rd party games, or miss out entirely on otherwise multiplatform 3rd party game releases.

Let's be 100% honest: if you're a real fan of JRPGs, and only game on Xbox...then you're not a real fan of JRPGs 🤣. It's like me saying I love simulation racers so Nintendo should go acquire a sim racer maker.

Uh, no...I would just go buy a PlayStation, Xbox, or PC and play the games over there, where they already are. JRPG fans have known for years, decades even, which platforms butter their toast for that genre: PlayStation and Nintendo. Microsoft doesn't need to suddenly go snap up JRPG devs/pubs to provide content for hypothetical fans who already have other platforms for the very game genre you're talking about.

If you're a customer of Xbox, why wouldn't you want them growing their studios and IP catalog? They want to be taken seriously as an entertainment platform, and have finally opened the Microsoft war chest for it. On the other end of it, whoever they purchase would have their funding ramped up to make more games for consoles and PC; instant guaranteed future value brought to game pass subscribers.

Microsoft doesn't have to consolidate big chunks of the industry to grow their studios and IP. They've already had developers, they've already had working relationships with multiple 3P developers and publishers. If they had better management of earlier acquisitions like Bungie and Rare, they could've had a lot of gaps covered up by now. Maybe if they focused more on honing up the 2018 acquisitions instead of jumping into Zenimax and now jumping again into ABK, we could've seen some of those big 2020 reveals like Avowed & Hellblade II by now, even during the COVID lockdowns. Keep in mind, Hellblade and Horizon Zero Dawn released in the same year, and yet the latter (which was already a bigger & more ambitious game) has had its sequel available for months while the latter's sequel is still MIA, and likely will not measure up to HFW in several areas anyway, despite releasing well later.

You also realize that the money MS spends on the acquisitions doesn't include funding, right? That's extra. Which means they're spending $70 billion for ABK, PLUS whatever other money for salaries, 401Ks, medical & dental insurance, vacation packages, and labor/time for any and all new games from ALL of those teams.

I see all the doomsday spewing, shit flinging console warrior apes constantly losing their minds and trying to imply some monopoly or existential industry threat, and I can only laugh. Buying Japanese studios/publishers would finally make Xbox whole and a bigger reason to buy-in for weeaboo customers. Japan itself could be a lost cause for the platform adoption, with exceptional growth potential generation to generation, but the western customers shouldn't even give a shit. It's only about the talent there getting big support money, to ensure their unique shit output grows and gets onto the platform.

MS were able to get ample Japanese support with the OG Xbox and 360 without consolidating publishers and locking them down in such a way to constrict other platform holders or use those publishers and their content as potential bargaining chips in future business deals with platform holders. They also managed to get that support without basically parading a pathway for OTHER massive conglomerates to have an easy-as-pie time to consolidate other major parts of the industry, so should they want to start buying out other big publishers, simply by pointing to MS & ABK and telling regulators "See? You let that pass. So let us through, too! We wanna "compete", too!!".

Some of you are being so small-minded about this, not aware of the ramifications cheerleading these acquisitions can have to the fabric of what helps define this industry. Gaming as a whole does not have a failure in the traditional business model where subscription services are a necessity for stability and growth. This idea that sub services are the "future" is trying to solve a problem in the industry that does not exist for the industry. Consolidating to grow a gaming service with content does not suddenly enable a new means of content funding, distribution, development or marketing that doesn't ALREADY exist in the industry in some way or another.

nush

I think they are going to buy Wolfteam, Irem, Treasure, Technosoft, Artoon and Clover Studios, the glory days are coming back boys!

DaGwaphics

Keep in mind, Hellblade and Horizon Zero Dawn released in the same year, and yet the latter (which was already a bigger & more ambitious game) has had its sequel available for months while the latter's sequel is still MIA, and likely will not measure up to HFW in several areas anyway, despite releasing well later.

You do realize that Ninja Theory is a small studio that admitted that they needed to work on a smaller, quicker to release project after Hellblade (I'm assuming they didn't have the funds). Thus, they started working on Bleeding Edge before MS even acquired them and needed to finish that project. LOL That small studio released a game in 2020 and Spencer refereed to Hellblade 2 as "very early in development" in Dec, 19. Going back and acting as if they started work on this at the same time that Gorilla did HFW is ridiculous.

These odd tangents about the recent studios acquired by MS are some of the most pointless and poorly thought out arguments on the board. The smaller studios had all either just released or were in the process of releasing existing games. While Bethesda is still running under the same management it was previously and has released two games (that just happened to be moneyhatted by Sony already).

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
They’re not buying
Sega
Capcom
Sqex
Konami
Okay bro.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The lion share of indie titles lack creativity. The big budget games on GamePass are mostly sequels to established franchises.

If you scale GamePass (which Microsoft will have to do in order to make money) game visibility will shrink, forcing developers to double down on trending game gimmicks and or brand awareness (i.e sequelitis). We see the same thing with every other streaming service, we’ve seen it on the Apple App Store, we’ve seen it with GaaS in general.

Quantity is the name of the subscription streaming game, not quality.

Most of the creativity in gaming that isn't the same third person or first person shooter is coming from the indies, not sure where you're coming from.

Okay bro.

Things must be slow over there for the stalwarts to reappear :messenger_grinning_sweat:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Let's be 100% honest: if you're a real fan of JRPGs, and only game on Xbox...then you're not a real fan of JRPGs 🤣. It's like me saying I love simulation racers so Nintendo should go acquire a sim racer maker.

Uh, no...I would just go buy a PlayStation, Xbox, or PC and play the games over there, where they already are. JRPG fans have known for years, decades even, which platforms butter their toast for that genre: PlayStation and Nintendo. Microsoft doesn't need to suddenly go snap up JRPG devs/pubs to provide content for hypothetical fans who already have other platforms for the very game genre you're talking about.

Microsoft doesn't have to consolidate big chunks of the industry to grow their studios and IP. They've already had developers, they've already had working relationships with multiple 3P developers and publishers. If they had better management of earlier acquisitions like Bungie and Rare, they could've had a lot of gaps covered up by now. Maybe if they focused more on honing up the 2018 acquisitions instead of jumping into Zenimax and now jumping again into ABK, we could've seen some of those big 2020 reveals like Avowed & Hellblade II by now, even during the COVID lockdowns. Keep in mind, Hellblade and Horizon Zero Dawn released in the same year, and yet the latter (which was already a bigger & more ambitious game) has had its sequel available for months while the latter's sequel is still MIA, and likely will not measure up to HFW in several areas anyway, despite releasing well later.

You also realize that the money MS spends on the acquisitions doesn't include funding, right? That's extra. Which means they're spending $70 billion for ABK, PLUS whatever other money for salaries, 401Ks, medical & dental insurance, vacation packages, and labor/time for any and all new games from ALL of those teams.

MS were able to get ample Japanese support with the OG Xbox and 360 without consolidating publishers and locking them down in such a way to constrict other platform holders or use those publishers and their content as potential bargaining chips in future business deals with platform holders. They also managed to get that support without basically parading a pathway for OTHER massive conglomerates to have an easy-as-pie time to consolidate other major parts of the industry, so should they want to start buying out other big publishers, simply by pointing to MS & ABK and telling regulators "See? You let that pass. So let us through, too! We wanna "compete", too!!".

Some of you are being so small-minded about this, not aware of the ramifications cheerleading these acquisitions can have to the fabric of what helps define this industry. Gaming as a whole does not have a failure in the traditional business model where subscription services are a necessity for stability and growth. This idea that sub services are the "future" is trying to solve a problem in the industry that does not exist for the industry. Consolidating to grow a gaming service with content does not suddenly enable a new means of content funding, distribution, development or marketing that doesn't ALREADY exist in the industry in some way or another.
You must of missed the video game crash in the 80's lol i was there. So traditional business model has failed before. Also being down to 2 home console makers is not exactly healthy.

C2brixx

They’re not buying
Sega
Capcom
Sqex
Konami
The Shock and Awe of the first couple of pages in this thread should be a warning about doubting Microsoft.
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/brea...ion-blizzard-in-near-70-billion-deal.1627887/

Yup, creativity is at it's finest at Sony now that they are charging 70$ per game, it really doesn't look like they are following the copy pasta and 0 risk strategy. Can't wait for the remaster of the remake of the remaster of TLOU

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
If that potencially translates into Xbox exclusivity overthere, I assume Microsoft might have to pay a premium price.

Top Bottom