• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft talking to major Japanese Publishers and small studios for acquisition

PhaseJump

Banned
At least you admit you’re just wishing for it.
still not gonna happen.
Now back off with the insults. I’m not offending you. Learn how to have a proper conversation.

It's obviously wishful thinking on behalf of Xbox fans and pundits. To look at these rumors and speculation, typically driving clickbait for media shills and pundits, about Xbox doing more of what Xbox has been doing; how retarded do we all have to be to somehow think it's not blatant hype and wishful thinking for Xbox customers?

You can say it won't happen, but shit happens all the time. Bethesda happened. Activision Blizzard happened. Square already would have happened 20 years ago if MS didn't walk away from the final signing of the deal.

You have no idea what will happen, and you can claim "relevance" as a secondary factor here all you want to somehow pivot and discredit the merit of any big but not important enough acquisition that might show up. You won't be saving face with any of it, though. You're already quite clearly a Sony biased shit poster here, and on that other circlejerk forum filled with the GAF ban list.

"Not gonna happen" is the wishful thinking in this argument, and it's absolutely fucking stupid to believe it, considering Microsoft's recent history.

angrod14

We know they have a wallet, but where are the GAMEZ?

All that circus for the Bugfestha acquisition yet their output is ZERO, and it seems will remain that way for a long time. They just can't build a lineup that rival Sony's first parties. Reminds me when Real Madrid bought CR7, Kaka, and all the superstars yet they didn't win shit.

Swift_Star

Banned
It's obviously wishful thinking on behalf of Xbox fans and pundits. To look at these rumors and speculation, typically driving clickbait for media shills and pundits, about Xbox doing more of what Xbox has been doing; how retarded do we all have to be to somehow think it's not blatant hype and wishful thinking for Xbox customers?

You can say it won't happen, but shit happens all the time. Bethesda happened. Activision Blizzard happened. Square already would have happened 20 years ago if MS didn't walk away from the final signing of the deal.

You have no idea what will happen, and you can claim "relevance" as a secondary factor here all you want to somehow pivot and discredit the merit of any big but not important enough acquisition that might show up. You won't be saving face with any of it, though. You're already quite clearly a Sony biased shit poster here, and on that other circlejerk forum filled with the GAF ban list.

"Not gonna happen" is the wishful thinking in this argument, and it's absolutely fucking stupid to believe it, considering Microsoft's recent history.
Not gonna happen. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Insulting me won’t change reality. Being salty about another forum also won’t.
MS isn’t buying any of the big Japanese publishers.
Now I’m putting you on ignore because I’m not getting insulted over.l nothing. Feel free to keep spewing hate and insulting people, I’m not taking any part on it. Goodbye.

Last edited:

johnjohn

Not gonna happen. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Now I’m putting you on ignore because I’m not getting insulted over.l nothing. Feel free to keep spewing hate and insulting people, I’m not taking any part on it. Goodbye.
Deep down you know it's only a matter of time lol.

drganon

Not gonna happen. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Now I’m putting you on ignore because I’m not getting insulted over.l nothing. Feel free to keep spewing hate and insulting people, I’m not taking any part on it. Goodbye
Think the dude might be stalking you.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
Think the dude might be stalking you.
AgreeableIndelibleCowrie-size_restricted.gif

I just don’t get the hardon for Japanese devs. MS just need to embrace their Western roots and forget about this folly. Doing what they are currently doing (getting some games like Dragon Quest, Yakuza, Octopath etc.) is the best thing for them to do.
Honestly, I do think Microsoft is wasting their time and money trying to acquire Japanese developers because the market and demand just isn’t there on the XBOX. Then again, imho Japanese developers typically make the most polished, best playing, creative and fun games in the industry that the majority of Western developers cannot replicate, so Microsoft probably wants some of that on their ecosystem as well. We’ll see what happens.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Yup, creativity is at it's finest at Sony now that they are charging 70$ per game, it really doesn't look like they are following the copy pasta and 0 risk strategy. Can't wait for the remaster of the remake of the remaster of TLOU
I heard Sony is wasting money on an AAA hair washing game just for you

Tell me again GAF how Xbox is not trying to consolidate gaming? Microsoft wanted to be Nintendo, cant produce IPs. Tried to make hardware like Sony, can't decide if it's a service or platform, and is attempting to be like Netflix with no exclusives contents.
Confused Steve Urkel GIF

Only next logical move is to become the Tencent of western gaming.... What a min

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
At least youre admitting you're a creepy weirdo. It's a good first step.

200w.gif

I admit nothing of the sort bud.

Mostly, I do not admit to the wishful thinking on my part toward the shit posting warrior above, despite it being implied as some sort of gotcha via their biased warrior-responses. (Coming to another bullshit rumor Xbox acquisition hype thread, arguing that Microsoft won't keep doing what they have been doing because "not going to happen" is somehow a solid a reason.)

For better or worse , Microsoft makes big industry moves and has signaled that intention going forward. It's going to be a shit show. I totally see them inhaling a few publishers and low-key culling the redundant publishing departments. If not them, the other big companies.

I cancelled my Playstation and Xbox subscriptions, and threw my consoles in storage months ago. My only want out of Microsoft's big move acquisitions is for it to mitigate gatekeeping to other non-traditional platforms. Ecosystems like Stadia, or Apple, companies like Tencent. Bonus laughs if any of it causes longwinded meltdowns in the fringe hardcore weeaboos who are psychotically anti-Microsoft at all times anyway. I will always love to see a good irrational, silly meltdown over toy brands, bent around betrayal nonsense or whatever.

It's not creepy to occasionally glance at that shit heap echo chamber site constructed by the GAF ban list, and take note of how far gone down the rabbit hole those people actually are, especially when they come back here and start mildly shit posting and dropping "relevancy" factors against the thread topic at hand, against all rational logic, in their typical fashion.

Your friends Adams, DarkMage and Bernd also post there...

I see a lot of people posting there. It doesn't make the place less of a biased shithole filled with warrior trash posts. You assume much by implying they're specifically my friends. Perhaps this is a result of your own assumption of an "us vs them" stance around the console war delusion I typically opt out of, due to chronic disappointment in the PR and output of every hardware manufacturer or platform holder; aside from Valve as of late.

I'm more of a chaotic neutral clown-shoes motherfucker when it comes to these things. I prefer Xbox, play Japanese games, PS5 is too ugly to allow into my household, I'm sick and tired of Phil Spencer's Japan trip PR going nowhere without any big AAA day 1 results. Steam Deck is the best handheld gaming device I've ever bought, and Gaben's continued existence has put Santa Claus at a higher than 0% chance of becoming real.

Rac3r

I just don’t get the hardon for Japanese devs. MS just need to embrace their Western roots and forget about this folly. Doing what they are currently doing (getting some games like Dragon Quest, Yakuza, Octopath etc.) is the best thing for them to do.

Honestly, I do think Microsoft is wasting their time and money trying to acquire Japanese developers because the market and demand just isn’t there on the XBOX. Then again, imho Japanese developers typically make the most polished, best playing, creative and fun games in the industry that the majority of Western developers cannot replicate, so Microsoft probably wants some of that on their ecosystem as well. We’ll see what happens.

Because MS is the epitome of a greedy American corporation that wants something solely because they don't have it. Who cares if the average Japanese person doesn't even know what an Xbox is, Phil wants his JRPGS!

This doesn't even make sense. You think a Japanese company acquired by Microsoft will be forced to survive financially based on its Japanese sales alone?

Clearly you don't work in any sort of medium to large business.
No what I’m saying is no Japanese developer wants to make games that only have the potential to be played by a bunch of foreigners.

You essentially become a “token” developer, you’re only in the room because you’re Japanese and to help diversify the portfolio. You have no true value and will be first on the chopping block when it comes time to cut costs.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Makes sense. Valve claims that Japan has the biggest growth rate for PC gaming, and stated that their Steam Deck has been a success there. The nation seems to have already largely gravitated away from PlayStation to the Switch, so why not gun for the PC audience in that market?

Ozriel

M$FT
We know they have a wallet, but where are the GAMEZ?

All that circus for the Bugfestha acquisition yet their output is ZERO, and it seems will remain that way for a long time. They just can't build a lineup that rival Sony's first parties. Reminds me when Real Madrid bought CR7, Kaka, and all the superstars yet they didn't win shit.

I wonder what the next talking point will be once this one is thoroughly buried by the end of next year.

Because MS is the epitome of a greedy American corporation that wants something solely because they don't have it. Who cares if the average Japanese person doesn't even know what an Xbox is, Phil wants his JRPGS!

You’re making the assumption that exclusivity is the play here, and not Gamepass content.

nocsi

Japanese government is probably going to block any deals in the unlikely event something gets far enough along. But keep dreaming gaffers, colonialism lives on

Your friends Adams, DarkMage and Bernd also post there...
To most going to the "console warrior clown planet" is like going to the zoo. You go there to watch and later feel bad about it. Some users even go there on something like a safari. They just need to feel the delusions of the inmates closer. Much respect to them.

Orbital2060

From an xbox customer point of view, I dont care if the games continue to be multiplatform. Supporting studios should be the main vector, and not making their games exclusive. And I think Microsoft can do that, and maybe provide their Xbox division with the odd timed or full exlusive here and there.

Developers like Spike Chunsoft, and Falcom would be some examples of studios to support. They are also not making blockbuster games and there presumably wont be a problem with ballooning budgets or high-cost productions like most Western studios aspire to. And 3-5 year development cycles.

They will just have to be patient about returns, and not try and change company cultures or tell developers what to do like some dick-swinging Cowboy Joes. Spend a few productions to get to know people and develop relationships over a longer period of time and consider that part of the acquisiton capital.

But the most important thing would be to support developers that make games that Japanese folks like. And not worry too much about global market shares and instant success on the investments. Just keep games multiplatform so they dont create too much bad blood between fans of different consoles.

If Imran Khan and Jason Schrier post about something, you can say its pretty much confirmed. They are very well connected in the industry.

Not your fault the person you replying to doesn't know who Imran is and it makes sense since he's only joined this forum in April of last year 😂. Imran's been posting on gaming stuff for years and his posts are quoted and discussed heavily on Resetera, a place where they don't take too kindly to fake insiders unlike here on GAF.

Thanks imran for making us aware that Microsoft are looking to aquire studios and publishers. Top secret information that is. So is Sony making deals with 3rd parties. How would we ever know this without them?

Last edited:
Thanks imran for making us aware that Microsoft are looking to aquire studios and publishers. Top secret information that is. So is Sony making deals with 3rd parties. How would we ever know this without them?

Jesus fucking christ. Imagine getting triggered by a rumor from a well connected insider 😂

While I'm sure that more purchases will be coming, I doubt Square would be something they would even think is worth buying. They aren't just throwing money around any which place, they have been choosing to pickup publishers and developers that Xbox players are traditionally interested in. I don't think Square fits that bill, tbh. Should they pickup something in Japan, big or small, I'm sure it will be a dev that has had reasonable success on the Xbox platform, or at the very least is making the type of games that are a good fit for the platform.

Reasonable assumption, imo. Platinum and Sega, perhaps? 🤔
The thing is, I read a very credible source stating that Capcom was a target, a few years ago, and that the acquisition almost happened.

weird post when Sony had Returnal last year and also helped push stuff like Kena, Sifu, Stray, etc. among other things
You can't talk about weird posts and then name some moneyhats as an example of Sony's 1st party creativity lately. Even Housemarque wasn't a part of Sony when Returnal was made. The other 3 directly are pretty much multiplat games once their contracts expire, just like that Cyberpunk ARPG that MS had and came to PS5 after a couple months, i bet the developers said in an interview how much Sony/MS helped, but also we all know what that means so.

I heard Sony is wasting money on an AAA hair washing game just for you
I can think of many new IP ideas that would have more chances to be a hit than that hair washing game :p

You can even count the Last of Us multiplayer project as something kinda fresh and risky. Now, the third Spiderman in 5 years, the remake of the remaster or the God of War 2 that looks like an ultra version of the first one are as riskless as they can get.

100% Sure we'll see at least the new Bend's IP on their next conference tho, but so far i don't see the point of saying Gamepass doesn't allow for creativity or risks as if the others were focusing on new IP's and ideas

Hobbygaming

You can't talk about weird posts and then name some moneyhats as an example of Sony's 1st party creativity lately. Even Housemarque wasn't a part of Sony when Returnal was made. The other 3 directly are pretty much multiplat games once their contracts expire, just like that Cyberpunk ARPG that MS had and came to PS5 after a couple months, i bet the developers said in an interview how much Sony/MS helped, but also we all know what that means so.

I can think of many new IP ideas that would have more chances to be a hit than that hair washing game :p

You can even count the Last of Us multiplayer project as something kinda fresh and risky. Now, the third Spiderman in 5 years, the remake of the remaster or the God of War 2 that looks like an ultra version of the first one are as riskless as they can get.

100% Sure we'll see at least the new Bend's IP on their next conference tho, but so far i don't see the point of saying Gamepass doesn't allow for creativity or risks as if the others were focusing on new IP's and ideas
You can say what you want about those games but Sony would be stupid to not make Spider-man 2 and GoW Ragnarok after the success of the last games

It doesn't mean that they aren't taking risks with their new IPs. We still haven't seen Deviation Game's new IP, Haven's, Firesprite's, Bend's, Sony London is supposedly even developing an AAA game

Also you can't get any more risky than a premium VR headset like PSVR 2 and its games will be

Last edited:
Jesus fucking christ. Imagine getting triggered by a rumor from a well connected insider 😂

He is stating the obvious though, don't you think? How is it a rumour? We know Microsoft are looking at acquisitions. This guy is apparently well connected, yet nobody seems to know what he's actually leaked before. Do you know?

You can say what you want about those games but Sony would be stupid to not make Spider-man 2 and GoW Ragnarok after the success of the last games

It doesn't mean that they aren't taking risks with their new IPs. We still haven't seen Deviation Game's new IP, Haven's, Firesprite's, Bend's, Sony London is supposedly even developing an AAA game

Also you can't get any more risky than a premium VR headset like PSVR 2 and its games will be
I mean Spiderman sold 20m+ and Miles Morales must be at 10-15 and still showing great legs, no wonder they did put Insomniac's second studio to work on Marvel stuff aswell, if i was in charge i'd even create a third one and have a Marvel game per year at least.

Same for God of War, Horizon or The Last of Us, and nobody would be surprised if Sucker's next game is Ghosts of Tsushima 2.

It's true that their new acquisitions are mostly working on new IP's, also Bend due to Days Gone's "flop?", but yes, their older and bigger studios nowadays are doing sequels/remakes/spin offs of their PS3-PS4 franchises, and it's smart, i would do it too, but it's not risky definitely

Hobbygaming

I mean Spiderman sold 20m+ and Miles Morales must be at 10-15 and still showing great legs, no wonder they did put Insomniac's second studio to work on Marvel stuff aswell, if i was in charge i'd even create a third one and have a Marvel game per year at least.

Same for God of War, Horizon or The Last of Us, and nobody would be surprised if Sucker's next game is Ghosts of Tsushima 2.

It's true that their new acquisitions are mostly working on new IP's, also Bend due to Days Gone's "flop?", but yes, their older and bigger studios nowadays are doing sequels/remakes/spin offs of their PS3-PS4 franchises, and it's smart, i would do it too, but it's not risky definitely
Sony has the talent to do it so why not. It's not like people aren't anticipating the sequels they do have coming

Naughty Dog is surely building a new IP with one of their teams and Cory Barlog is most definitely creating a new IP since he isn't directing GoW Ragnarok

Phil has said himself that they are looking to make acquisitions in Japan, so this isn't really a rumour.
Well at least Phil tried for many years now...but failed, but Phil wil keep trying (Caus he has the green light) to buy the biggest Japanese studio' s to fullfil his and MS's wet dream...creating a monopoly...like in the OS market😉

Last edited:
Top Bottom