• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Side Stories |OT| Because the world can never have enough Gundam

KUhVkTb.jpg

Platform : PS3
Developer: B.B. Studio
Publisher: Bandai Namco Games

Release date(s) :
Japan/Hong Kong/Taiwan - May 29th, 2014
Rest of the World: It’s not gonna happen. No, you can’t just slap some subtitles on it. Don’t make me call Bright Noa.

Reviews:
Famitsu: 7/7/7/7

VERSIONS OF THE GAME

51x2Rg%2Bb2HL._SL500_300_.jpg

Regular Edition

EEjumkk.jpg

Rgm2ScQ.jpg

Limited Edition contents:
PS3 Game: Mobile Suit Gundam Side Stories
HGUC "Pale Rider" Limited Metalic Ver. 1/144 plastic model
Mobile Suit Gundam Gaiden Series Original Soundtrack
Mobile Suit Gundam Gaiden Missing Link Booklet

WHAT IS IT?

THIS IS NOT AN HD COLLECTION. These are not straight HD remakes. The plots from the old side story titles are being redone in the Missing Link engine. Don't throw out your old games.

Mobile Suit Gundam Side Stories contains Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story: Missing Link as the main game and remakes of other side story games including Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story: The Blue Destiny, Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story: Space, To the End of a Flash, Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story 0079: Rise From The Ashes, Mobile Suit Gundam: Zeonic Front, Mobile Suit Gundam: Lost War Chronicles and the second half of Mobile Suit Gundam: Cross Dimension 0079. The remakes will have the same voice actors from the original releases with revised gameplay systems based on Missing Link.

Side Stories has two modes: VR Mission and Story. VR Mission mode lets the player create a unique team of mobile suits to deploy on various missions. The Story mode lets you play scenarios from the six earlier Gundam Side Story games or the brand-new game, Missing Link.

Players can deploy a team of three mobile suits in both ground and space battles. The game will have zero gravity and three-dimension maneuvering to distinguish the space battles from the ground ones. Players can also freely switch between the three mobile suits in the middle of battle, particularly when one mobile suit's hit points has been depleted. Support craft can offer both offensive and defensive assistance to the player.

TITLES

HQ6gdV2.jpg

Missing Link (Sony Playstation 3, 2014)
Plot: During the One Year War, in an attempt to replace losses in the Federation for mobile suit pilots, a penal battlion was formed called the Slave Wraiths. Led by Travis Kirkland, he and his team take on suicide missions in highly advanced mobile suits to make deadly surgical strikes into the enemy side. On the other side, the Marchosias, a regiment for Zeon elite pilot washouts was formed as well. When Doug Schneid, a former pilot of Zeon defects to the Federation with the Pale Rider in tow, both sides are forced to fight together to stop a conspiracy that lurks within the MS development research. The storyline takes place during UC 0079, 0090 and 0096.

n5am4i6.jpg

Blue Destiny (Sega Saturn, 1996)
Plot: Blue Destiny takes place in Universal Century 0079, during the latter part of the One Year War. The central characters are part of the Earth Federation's experimental corps, who test new technologies before they're mass-produced and distributed to the Federation Forces as a whole. Yu Kajima is the leader of the Marmot Team, a subdivision of the experimental corps, along with his friends Philip Hughes and Samana Ferris. During a sortie, the team encounters a blue GM attacking enemy and ally alike. When the GM comes after them, Philip and Samana are quickly defeated, and Yu only barely drives it off. Later, the team is attacked by a Zeon mobile suit that fights similarly to the blue GM. Just as things look their worst, the blue GM appears and drives the enemy off.

gj7OiOj.jpg

Rise from the Ashes (Sega Dreamcast, 1999)
Plot: Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story 0079: Rise From the Ashes begins eleven months after the beginning of the One Year War. The Earth Federation Forces (EFF) launched Operation Odessa, the Earth Federation's code name for the recapture of Europe from Zeon forces, and won resounding victories. The success of Operation Odessa caused a shift in military balance of power on Earth in favor of the EFF, and was followed by counterattacks against Zeon all over the Earth sphere. In Australia, the site of a colony drop and hardest hit by Operation British, Federation forces begin preparations for a large counter-offensive.

ruv0Gh7.jpg

Zeonic Front (Sony Playstation 2, 2001)
Plot: The campaign of the game follows a Zeon squad known as Midnight Fenrir, under the command of LCDR. Garret Schmitzer. Schmitzer, the commanding officer of the Corps, is a veteran of the One Week Battle and injuries sustained at the hands of Lt. Agar in this battle forced him to give up his role as a mobile suit pilot.. The Midnight Fenrir Corps were then founded by Kycilia Zabi as an elite fighting force to serve her directly in her personal objectives. Being a tool of Kycillia this naturally means that the Midnight Fenrir often end up fighting directly for other individuals in her service, such as Char Aznable and M'Quve.

C9SOGhf.jpg

Lost War Chronicles (Sony Playstation 2, 2002)
Plot: Shortly after the One Year War between the Earth Federation and the Principality of Zeon begins, Captain Matt Healy, leader of a Special Forces Experimental Unit, leads his team into dangerous territory. Meanwhile, Ken Bederstadt is a Foreign Legion Lieutenant working in alliance with Zeon. As the war rages on, these two heroes are desperately trying to keep everyone alive, for if not, there will be no future.

8Ta6mi6.jpg

Space to the End, A Flash (Playstation 2, 2003)
Plot: The story revolves around a second Pegasus class ship, the SCVA-72 Thoroughbred and its crew. Tasked to intercept a Zeon supply route behind the Moon that leads to Space Fortress Solomon in preparation for "Operation Star One". To accomplish this, the Thoroughbred has been assigned two Gundams, the RX-78-4 Gundam Unit 4 "G04" and its brother unit the RX-78-5 Gundam Unit 5 "G05" piloted by Luce Kassel and Ford Romfellow respectively.

PeWjE98.jpg

Cross Dimension 0079 (Nintendo Super Famicom, 1995)
Plot: The game follows an encounter between the Federation Albatross Transportation Unit and Zeon Wolf Gar Team. This story begins with the beleaguered Wolf Gar Team finding the Albatross base in the Gobi Desert and attempting to raid it for supplies. This fails save for ammunition, however after inflicting damage on the Federation base they discover a Gundam, the RX-78XX Gundam Pixie. They fail to capture it, however after seeing it in action they make repeated unsuccessful attempts to capture the mobile suit. These attempts end poorly for the Zeon as the Gundam Pixie proves itself a far superior mobile suit to even the Wolf Gar leader's MS-08TX Efreet.

DLC
Bandai Namco has confirmed that there will be DLC missions and mobile suits for the game. So far, Unicorn Gundam has been announced. There will be some free DLC in June, but then it sounds like everything after that will cost you some hard earned moonbucks. Additional mobile suits and missions will be announced at a later date.

TROPHIES
http://www.exophase.com/game/mobile-suit-gundam-side-stories-ps3/trophies/

SCREENSHOTS
51T2gQWpt4L.jpg
51OD2C2Jg8L.jpg
51U6vPTSunL.jpg

TRAILERS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th4Ys25pjvQ&list=PL0DnZpV_rwVt7GxxZ0GGMgy6ZAbLFVH76
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgFqFK605-Q&list=PL0DnZpV_rwVt7GxxZ0GGMgy6ZAbLFVH76
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdS6qNhpHbg&list=PL0DnZpV_rwVt7GxxZ0GGMgy6ZAbLFVH76
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98IbEJRLltc&list=PL0DnZpV_rwVt7GxxZ0GGMgy6ZAbLFVH76
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QaVOWSc3_M&list=PL0DnZpV_rwVt7GxxZ0GGMgy6ZAbLFVH76
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5jp_ueeRz0&list=PL0DnZpV_rwVt7GxxZ0GGMgy6ZAbLFVH76
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0JMI7uWn5k&list=PL0DnZpV_rwVt7GxxZ0GGMgy6ZAbLFVH76
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmZjywn-sCA&list=PL0DnZpV_rwVt7GxxZ0GGMgy6ZAbLFVH76
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcffnnzAHLQ&list=PL0DnZpV_rwVt7GxxZ0GGMgy6ZAbLFVH76

C'MON NOW! BANDAI MIGHT LISTEN TO OUR PLEAS AND LOCALIZE THIS!! LETS START A PETITION!! IT’S NOT TOO HARD TO TRANSLATE AND SLAP SOME SUBTITLES ON IT! GUYS? GUYS?!?
0H3JpE5.jpg

I told you.

This, I need this:( Will probably get even tough I don't touch my ps3 anymore. Shame the Wii game missions aren't in. Or the ps3 game. Love me some Efreet Nacht.

Dio

Banned
Is the terrible framerate and animation I saw in some of the trailers still an issue? Also, is the Blue Destiny part better than the original Saturn trilogy? I'm feeling like it's better for me to just stick with my original copies of the Blue Destiny trilogy, which are awesome, instead of getting this - but I don't know enough about this to make a decision yet.

Like I said in the OT, these aren't straight HD remakes. The old side story games are being redone/retold using the new Missing Link engine.

I loved Rise from the Ashes, and I always regretted selling it to help pay for Metal Gear Solid 2, although it was a bit slow and difficult to play after playing later mech games. I hope the Rise from the Ashes part is as engaging in the new engine. I've got gift certificates to spend at 100man Volt, or Joshin, so if it's as good as it sounds, I'll definitely be getting it.

KiraFA37

This coming out in a week? Subscribed. But I'm going to have to hold of for an other month due to finals. I suppose the game is playable without having to know Japanese right?

Tain

Interesting. 0079 and the Saturn games always seemed cool. Does this cover all three of the Saturn games?

Might want to play the originals first.

I wish I had a PS3 for this, but I really don't get why Bandai didn't pony up a little extra cash to fully localize this, since they've already got the interface localized.

I'll probably play this in 2025 when the PS3 emulator can do playable frame rates, unless Bandai randomly decides to put out a PC version.

Interesting. 0079 and the Saturn games always seemed cool. Does this cover all three of the Saturn games?

Might want to play the originals first.

It covers the entire storyline of BD, but it's not the original game or anything. Not even sure how many levels the BD section.

I wish I had a PS3 for this, but I really don't get why Bandai didn't pony up a little extra cash to fully localize this, since they've already got the interface localized.

Because Gundam games sell poorly outside Asia.

This coming out in a week? Subscribed. But I'm going to have to hold of for an other month due to finals. I suppose the game is playable without having to know Japanese right?

I'm curious about this as well. I've not imported any story intensive Gundam games so I'm worried I might be missing a lot here.

If you're looking for the first-person perspective from the original Blue Destiny titles, then you should get those. Like everything else in this collection, Blue Destiny is played via a 3rd person perspective.
How interesting. So these are the same scenarios with different presentation/mechanics? I was expecting the Saturn games repackaged, but this sounds equally fine.

First round of DLC (May 29th) announced:
RX-0 Unicorn Gundam Unit = 500 Yen
VR mission 101 = 100 Yen
VR mission 102 = 100 Yen
Mobile Suit and Mission Pack = 600 Yen

Watching the previews has me pumped. It's definitely looks kind of primitive for a PS3 game, but it also looks really fun. The real question is spend a lot of money to buy it new, or give it a few months and pick up a copy at Book-Off.

Cacophanus over at Mecha Damashii picked up his copy today and posted some quick thoughts on Facebook. Seems like your typical sub-standard graphics Gundam game. Just what I was expecting.

AmiAmi shipped my LE this morning. Hopefully it gets to Seattle either Saturday or Monday.

Cacophanus

Cacophanus over at Mecha Damashii picked up his copy today and posted some quick thoughts on Facebook. Seems like your typical sub-standard graphics Gundam game. Just what I was expecting.

AmiAmi shipped my LE this morning. Hopefully it gets to Seattle either Saturday or Monday.

It's not a bad game though, I'd actually say it plays better than 0081 did, but dear God it looks properly manky in places.

Combat looks okay for the most part but the cutscenes and terrain tech...ugh...

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Is the story important in those games?
I don't know a word in japanese, but the games look fun.

The story is kind of the point for all of these games. Gameplay wise none of them are really exceptional(aside from Zeonic Front), but they tell interesting stories. Blue Destiny in particular is notable for being a relatively important side story which the manga never fully adapted.

deim0s

Subscribed.

Love that it has the Battle Operation vibe to it - ain't too frantic like VS/Full Boost. I might import it later this week.

Is all of the ui truly in english?
They should've slapped some subtitles on it! :p

Celcius

°Temp. member
Ugh, we need some Gundam games released in the US (and on disk, not digitial only).
I'm interested but I don't plan on importing.

Ugh, we need some Gundam games released in the US (and on disk, not digitial only).
I'm interested but I don't plan on importing.

We had a ton of Gundam games released here during the PS2 era. I think their poor sales are a big reason why we don't get non-Musou Gundam games.

Bebpo

Banned
It's not a bad game though, I'd actually say it plays better than 0081 did, but dear God it looks properly manky in places.

Combat looks okay for the most part but the cutscenes and terrain tech...ugh...

How much better than 0081?

0081 was still pretty damn janky to play. Didn't get all that far in it. Why can't these games play like Namco's One Year War did on PS2. That controlled so smooth and fun.

Cacophanus

How much better than 0081?

0081 was still pretty damn janky to play. Didn't get all that far in it. Why can't these games play like Namco's One Year War did on PS2. That controlled so smooth and fun.

Depends what you mean by janky, generally good mecha games employ a sense of weight to the controls. This manifests in different ways, either as a hard input freeze (like in Virtual On or the new Gundam Extreme Versus games) or something more analogue.

0081 had a mix of both, whereas Side Stories is more analogue. The corollary of which being that the inputs are more fluid but you still have to dial them in.

One Year War was very functionally standardised (for the non on-rails parts) and kept the sense of weight to a bare minimum. It's very inclusive but also limited by the lack of input nuance.

It's still really good but that's not the only "right" approach. Unless of course you're a firm advocate of functional standardisation, but from my standpoint that seems like a total waste with something like a mecha game - as it's inherently abstract (as these things don't exist in any real sense).

I think One Year War is the better overall game but that's more down to focusing the content more. Side Stories problem is that the budget is clearly spread way too thin and the production value seriously suffers as a result of that.

Kind of defeats the purpose if I can't read anything though :(

Very young children liked and knew Star Wars/Jedi's Light Sabers.

If they could speak the language of Light Sabers, I don't see how you couldn't speak the language of Mobile Suits!

ranmafan

I definitely want to pick this up soon. Hopefully I can find the funds to get it (tight summer for me money wise), although I really want to play the original version of some of the games there I haven't played yet already. Namely Blue Destiny, which I always pass on buying whenever I see it. Ill have to change that soon and just get them all I bet along with this newer version too.

Top Bottom