• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Side Stories |OT| Because the world can never have enough Gundam

Bebpo

Banned
It covers the entire storyline of BD, but it's not the original game or anything. Not even sure how many levels the BD section.

Ah, ok, this was something I've been curious about since the game was announced. I couldn't believe they had the budget to remake all the previous gundam side story games + new side stories in this one. Would've been too good of deal.

So instead, they're pairing each of the old games down to a handful of new stages telling a truncated version of their stories through them?

Cacophanus

Ah, ok, this was something I've been curious about since the game was announced. I couldn't believe they had the budget to remake all the previous gundam side story games + new side stories in this one. Would've been too good of deal.

So instead, they're pairing each of the old games down to a handful of new stages telling a truncated version of their stories through them?

Yep, even with that reduced count there is still a huge amount of content in one package. Pretty sure that's the problem here.

Also playing Blue Destiny again like this feels...weird.

Objectively speaking, Gundam games are typically bad games. I pretty much always expect them to be bad games, but oh how do I love them.

Embrace the jank.

ACESmkII

I went with AmiAmi. Really surprised it came today, figured it wouldn't get to Seattle until Momday.

I almost ordered from Ami Ami but I pre-ordered from NCSX because I was certain I would receive it quicker, on average I usually receive packages from them within two days....

.... Major Backfire

Reviews are brutal on Amazon Japan. Hope I am not making a mistake here

http://www.amazon.co.jp/product-rev...ogames_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

From all the previews Bandai released it looks like your standard Studio B.B. Gundam fare. Which is what I'm expecting.

In a perfect world I would have liked to have seen each side story game that had a first person view ( Blue Destiny, Rise from The Ashes) retain it with a newer engine. Something along the lines of piloting a Titan in Titanfall and third person games like Lost War Chronicles, Zeonic Front would maybe have that as an optional view point.

I really hope whatever team is working on the Mobile Suit Gundam game for PS4 is given a decent development window and a decent budget so we don't have a Target in Sight part 2.

Mine too! :( *ordered two LEs*

I feel your pain...

*hugs*

Finally found some time to play. Went through the tutorial missions. Ground combat is pretty standard, and space is similar to ACE/Unicorn. Really wish they would've kept the ability to slice through enemy MSs like in Unicorn.

In any event, so far it's the janky Gundam game I was expecting.

Still waiting on my copy.

So I wrapped up the Phantom Sweep scenario, absolutely no desire to even touch the Invisible Knights stuff.

Cacophanus

Finally found some time to play. Went through the tutorial missions. Ground combat is pretty standard, and space is similar to ACE/Unicorn. Really wish they would've kept the ability to slice through enemy MSs like in Unicorn.

In any event, so far it's the janky Gundam game I was expecting.

The core combat is a lot less "janky" compared to 0081 and even Unicorn though. You can cancel out of most attacks very fluidly, if you have the boost, but you still have the weight to manage. To me it feels quite nice but very specific to this game. If anything it feels like a tighter and faster paced version of Lost War Chronicles, which is a good thing I think.

The Amazon reviews have been ghastly so far, but the Mecha Damashii review gives me some hope that this won't be a complete waste of money. I was thinking of selling my Blue Destiny discs, but after skimming some of the Amazon reviews, no way...keeping those.

ACESmkII

Got my copy in the mail today but only got to play for about 20min.

Controls seemed simple enough but how do you switch targets while locked on with R1?

Controls seemed simple enough but how do you switch targets while locked on with R1?

Press R1 again. It randomly chooses a target for you, though.

Also, it would be nice if the missions were a bit longer. I've done the first 10 Slave Wraith ones and none exceeded five minutes.

ACESmkII

Press R1 again. It randomly chooses a target for you, though.

Also, it would be nice if the missions were a bit longer. I've done the first 10 Slave Wraith ones and none exceeded five minutes.

Cool, thanks.

Yeah the missions did seem very short. I was able to clear the first three missions in about twenty minutes.

How do you change the stats on the mobile suits? Or level them up?

Hopefully I get some more free time tonight to play.

Cacophanus

Cool, thanks.

Yeah the missions did seem very short. I was able to clear the first three missions in about twenty minutes.

How do you change the stats on the mobile suits? Or level them up?

Hopefully I get some more free time tonight to play.

The story mission MS cannot be customised/upgraded. The VR mission MS can only be upgraded. As far as I can see, there is no load-out customisation available.

Lock-on is very precise, you have to use the camera to pick a target and then select accordingly. Unless you nail the target dead-on, the dead zone will acquire a nearby target instead.

All the missions are about 3-5 minutes a piece. This is because they tried to do too much so scripting was kept super simple.

Shingin

I've played a couple of hours of this I can definitely tell the budget was stretched pretty thin, I'm kinda wondering if it would been better to have just focused on missing link entirely than try to recreate all the side stories.

If anyone bought a physical copy and doesn't want their G Generation Frontier Pale Rider code can I have it? I'll need the redemption url and code .

Cacophanus

I've played a couple of hours of this I can definitely tell the budget was stretched pretty thin, I'm kinda wondering if it would been better to have just focused on missing link entirely than try to recreate all the side stories.

If anyone bought a physical copy and doesn't want their G Generation Frontier Pale Rider code can I have it? I'll need the redemption url and code .

You can have mine. I'll PM it once I get home tonight.

Bebpo

Banned
The story mission MS cannot be customised/upgraded. The VR mission MS can only be upgraded. As far as I can see, there is no load-out customisation available.

Lock-on is very precise, you have to use the camera to pick a target and then select accordingly. Unless you nail the target dead-on, the dead zone will acquire a nearby target instead.

All the missions are about 3-5 minutes a piece. This is because they tried to do too much so scripting was kept super simple.

3-5 min missions??

Awesome, I'll play this when the price drops! One of the things I dislike in crappy janky gamesis 15-30 min+ levels because the only thing worse than a bad game is one where you die and have to replay 30 mins of terrible again.

Cacophanus

3-5 min missions??

Awesome, I'll play this when the price drops! One of the things I dislike in crappy janky gamesis 15-30 min+ levels because the only thing worse than a bad game is one where you die and have to replay 30 mins of terrible again.

True but they don't have checkpoint saves in Side Stories though. Normally most missions are in two parts and if you die in the second part then you start the whole mission over. Considering how easy the game is and how short the missions are, it's not a big deal.

ACESmkII

I manged to play a few more missions. This definitely feels like the bastard child of Lost War Chronicles and Zeonic Front.

After getting warmed up with the controls, I'm really starting to enjoy the actual ground combat. It has a nice heavy feel but doesn't really feel like forced input lag.

I also feel like the CPU controlled enemies are out to kill which makes the game feel very strategic especially with the MS switching on the fly to manage HP.

Graphically it doesn't look as good as I was hoping it would but it does look decent, I just wish the frame rate was a little more stable when things get a little hectic.

Edit: It looks silly as hell when your MS goes spinning through the air after a melee attack.

Graphically it doesn't look as good as I was hoping it would but it does look decent, I just wish the frame rate was a little more stable when things get a little hectic.

Edit: It looks silly as hell when your MS goes spinning through the air after a melee attack.

This game has some of the ugliest fire I've ever seen before. Wow.

Side Stories is definitely a game only a Gundam fan could love, but it's a lot of fun and I've enjoyed the time I've spent on it so far. Well worth the $170 I dropped for the LE.

Jomjom

Banned

Side Stories is definitely a game only a Gundam fan could love, but it's a lot of fun and I've enjoyed the time I've spent on it so far. Well worth the $170 I dropped for the LE.

Does the game follow the manga pretty closely, like for blue destiny? I can't read Japanese but I've read the summaries of the manga. Would I be able to follow what's going on in the game?

Does the game follow the manga pretty closely, like for blue destiny? I can't read Japanese but I've read the summaries of the manga. Would I be able to follow what's going on in the game?

The Blue Destiny manga was canceled early and only follows part of the game's storyline, so you'd be able to follow for a bit.

ACESmkII

The fire is pretty damn terrible and sometimes it looks like the resolution drops when there is too much smoke and fire on the screen.

And for goodness sakes beam sabers and heat hawks are not baseball bats. I want to see the finishers cut the mobile suits in half. That was something From Software got right with Unicorn.

I really am enjoying it as well despite the criticism. The game has its heart in the right place as far as gameplay goes.

The fire is pretty damn terrible and sometimes it looks like the resolution drops when there is too much smoke and fire on the screen.

Yep, it's pretty hilarious.

And for goodness sakes beam sabers and heat hawks are not baseball bats. I want to see the finishers cut the mobile suits in half. That was something From Software got right with Unicorn.

Damn straight. I loved the ability to do that based on the pressure-sensitive analog button press in Unicorn.

I really am enjoying it as well despite the criticism. The game has its heart in the right place as far as gameplay goes.

Same here, it's the typical budget-contrained Gundam title that I know and love.

I didnt even know they still existed lol
They are good place to preorder soldout LEs because everyone forgets about them lol

NCSX just emailed me. I won't get my LEs until next week! >.< Well, on the bright side, I will be getting all my Unicorn blurays that week too. Gundam and E3 week!

I wish they would do a big budget Gundam title for PS4. I'd do nasty unholy things for a Titanfall-like Gundam title.

tensuke

That HGUC Pale Rider is calling me. T_T

But I couldn't even play this if I wanted to, no PS3 access for a while. Looks good though, loving the first impressions.

Top Bottom