• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Haha pretty much. There's a little room for improvement, I'm stuck with three slot weapons at the moment until I find a better talisman (although some of the three slot GS are pretty decent) and due to using the Garuga Mask my defence is a little lower than other full G sets of armour.

Other than that though, it's delicious.

Haha pretty much. There's a little room for improvement, I'm stuck with three slot weapons at the moment until I find a better talisman (although some of the three slot GS are pretty decent) and due to using the Garuga Mask my defence is a little lower than other full G sets of armour.

Other than that though, it's delicious.

Can you drop HG Earplugs for regular earplugs + tremres? if so, that set's god tier.

Well ten points for earplugs come from the head piece while the other five are on my talisman so I'm sure it could be modified very easily. I'll have to look into that in the morning.

Edit: nah I don't think it's possible without a seriously amazing talisman. It'd have to be tremor res +9 with three slots or something ridiculous like that.

Mephala

I just reached Teostra, he gives me the most trouble out of everything so far. I managed to repel him twice and slay it on the third. I did a quick check against crown numbers and this asshole was just shy of the large crown.

Any ways. I'm currently stuck on Dalamadur. I've given him a few attempts but nothing seems to be working. I've stopped dying but I can't seem to kill it in time. I've bailed with 10 seconds left via subquest twice now. Is there any specific areas I should be attacking it? I'm mostly aiming for head and claws. I managed to break two claws, some weird thing on his back when you climb him, his head and his chest. Using the Nerscylla CB with 540 attack and white sharpness. Does poison but that is not really useful here.

Any tips?

Anteo

I just reached Teostra, he gives me the most trouble out of everything so far. I managed to repel him twice and slay it on the third. I did a quick check against crown numbers and this asshole was just shy of the large crown.

Any ways. I'm currently stuck on Dalamadur. I've given him a few attempts but nothing seems to be working. I've stopped dying but I can't seem to kill it in time. I've bailed with 10 seconds left via subquest twice now. Is there any specific areas I should be attacking it? I'm mostly aiming for head and claws. I managed to break two claws, some weird thing on his back when you climb him, his head and his chest. Using the Nerscylla CB with 540 attack and white sharpness. Does poison but that is not really useful here.

Any tips?

Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD1VyMExwsg

Also, are you doing it by yourself?

Any tips?

Dalamadur takes quite a bit of damage from Blast weapons, worth looking into them.

Are you doing it solo? Dalamadur always has rooms up for it.

Thankfully, I don't think Dala weapons are particularly good for any of the weapons I play a lot.

Also, I'm nearing the end of the MHP3 village. After that I think I'll come back to MH4U.

Mephala

Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD1VyMExwsg

Also, are you doing it by yourself?

Dalamadur takes quite a bit of damage from Blast weapons, worth looking into them.

Are you doing it solo? Dalamadur always has rooms up for it.

Thanks for the video. The only thing I didn't do like in this video was carve the head (planted bombs instead), mine rocks (never noticed them) and use the somewhat safe spot under the head in one position since when I went there to attack his face I got clawed like crazy.

I am trying to do it solo. I guess I'll try and find a room for it if my net lets me connect.

Does Teo or Brach have better blast weapons generally?

Thanks for the video. The only thing I didn't do like in this video was carve the head (planted bombs instead), mine rocks (never noticed them) and use the somewhat safe spot under the head in one position since when I went there to attack his face I got clawed like crazy.

I am trying to do it solo. I guess I'll try and find a room for it if my net lets me connect.

it varies. I think most people would say Brach is better, but the Teo SnS, for example, is probably the best SnS in the game.

Reminds me I still need a nuclear reactor thing from raging brach for my longsword.
I love blast weapons but I'm not sure they're a good idea for soloing online quests. The effect has diminishing returns because more hits are required for each successive blast, so in fights that take a while it'll be contributing very little damage by the end.
Inversely, it's probably the best jack-of-all-trades element. Poison and Paralysis are up there as well, but are generally not as easy to take advantage of.

Doopliss

I love blast weapons but I'm not sure they're a good idea for soloing online quests. The effect has diminishing returns because more hits are required for each successive blast, so in fights that take a while it'll be contributing very little damage by the end.

Mephala

Guess I'll go Brach hunting. Probably easier than Teo hunting for me at the moment. I'm still rusty and I forget I'm not a ninja like I am in Bloodborne which I've been putting massive amounts of time into lately.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for a decent armour set to learn hammering in? I'm going to want evasion +2 (at least, for now) just to get started with and I'm currently G3, so nothing that'll require guild quests. Which sets are easy to build upon?

PKrockin

Besides an Evasion skill and earplugs, I can't think of a particular skill hammer wants all that badly besides the usual blademaster stuff. Tenderizer is nice for it I've heard, though I haven't run it. Disregarding mixed sets and talismans, Garuga X looks good.

Garuga Helm X o--
Garuga Mail X oo-
Garuga Vambraces X oo-
Garuga Tassets X o--
Garuga Greaves X oo-

Hearing +15
Expert +15
Sharpness +10
Sheathing +6
Handicraft +2
Fencing -2

Mephala

I tend to like Tremor resist for my hammer in the other MHs. Haven't tried hammering in MH4U yet.

I beat that stupid snake. What a crappy fight. Then again, still better than Lao.

Sarcasm

I got the charge blade down somewhat bit I need more tips.

I been swording it to five vials then I charge my shield. Repeat to five and yet to do the big boom move. Sometimes it connects.

Have an issue activating it most of the time. What is the combo? Also what is the other combo that doesn't do the end move?

Please more tips :-D

PKrockin

I tend to like Tremor resist for my hammer in the other MHs. Haven't tried hammering in MH4U yet.

I beat that stupid snake. What a crappy fight. Then again, still better than Lao.
I can't think of a worse boss in any game I've ever played than Lao.

I don't think tremor resist is all that useful on hammer since I don't hammer Rajangs. I use Evasion +1 so it's pretty easy to roll through a tremor and triple pound stuff. It's good for Deviljho and maybe Diablos, but that's about all I can think of, and those two are easy to hammer anyway in my opinion. Anyway, if you want it, it's cheap to gem in, so it's all good. Tremor resist is way more useful to greatsword tho.

Doopliss

I got the charge blade down somewhat bit I need more tips.

I been swording it to five vials then I charge my shield. Repeat to five and yet to do the big boom move. Sometimes it connects.

Have an issue activating it most of the time. What is the combo? Also what is the other combo that doesn't do the end move?

Please more tips :-D

There are a few ways to do the burst attack:

• Axe mode: do A -> A -> A. The first two attacks will use phials so the final hit will do slightly less doing it this way.
  • Axe mode: just press X+A to go straight into it.
  • Sword mode: do any attack -> X+A to shield thrust -> X+A.
  • Sword mode: press X+A after a guard point

If your shield is charged you can hold back on the stick and spam X as soon as you start the ultra burst to downgrade it to a super, which is faster and only uses one phial.

by the way, does anyone want to help me unlock the ceadeus parts? I don't think I could solo to jhos while naked lol

edit: nvm too pro and managed to do it ;)

Just did The Master's Test on about my tenth attempt, feeling pretty good about it. I found that bringing enough materials to make a load of farcasters and using those any time I'm bleeding/in trouble/caught with the gate down etc. really made the fight a whole lot easier. So often on my failed attempts I'd smoke bomb, split the monsters up, start working on one and then take a bit of damage, so I'd stop attacking to heal. Then because I had to put some distance between me and the monster, my wystone would run out, then I'd have to keep an eye on the gate, then sharpen my weapon... it was really easy to fall into this cycle of heal, sharpen, heal, smoke, mosswine, gates, heal, wystones, heal and so on until I had no time to actually attack. Farcasters abuse really let me fight that quest on my own terms.

Deband

by the way, does anyone want to help me unlock the ceadeus parts? I don't think I could solo to jhos while naked lol

edit: nvm too pro and managed to do it ;)

I don't seem to have this quest. Do the advanced ones just rotate in after you complete any other quest?

tuffy

I don't seem to have this quest. Do the advanced ones just rotate in after you complete any other quest?
"Advanced: Naked and Afraid" not only rotates like the other advanced quests, but also has HR90 as a prerequisite before it'll show up on your list.

I came here to vent after watching the ninty direct and seeing MHG get announced. I'm so upset and im pretty sure theres a capcom employee who browses MH communities on here. This is a snippet from a post i made elsewhere. I want to cry ;_;

I bought a wii u JUST to play mh3u. Then my heart sank through my ass when I realised mh4u was not getting a console release.

But I said fuck it, i bought a nn3ds to play mh4u. And quickly realised that after about 30 mins of gameplay i get cramps in my hand and cant continue.

Mhgenerations is just another fucking game thats going to pass me by, as I watch everyone else have fun with it.

Maybe it's for the best for me, I spend over 10k hours on the series as a whole over these last 11 years.

PrankT

So will everyone here be migrating to Monster Hunter Generations when it releases? Our late night, early morning rooms were the best!

Renewed

I'll probably get back to 3U which I left off when 4U came out. Of course there are too many games between now and Generations in summer to get that time in.

tuffy

So will everyone here be migrating to Monster Hunter Generations when it releases? Our late night, early morning rooms were the best!
I'll be on Generations day 1 but I like to do a lot of the single-player side before hopping online. I'll still be around for anybody who needs 4 Ultimate help, though by this point it seems like most everybody has everything they need.

ohlawd

I'll be on Generations day 1 but I like to do a lot of the single-player side before hopping online. I'll still be around for anybody who needs 4 Ultimate help, though by this point it seems like most everybody has everything they need.

carry me in Generations, tuffeh~

I'm gonna day one Generations, but I probably won't have the time to dig in ;_;

Renewed

Bah, I'm starting Greatsword like always. Then I'll use every weapon (although now with styles this is gonna get ridiculous)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Gonna tell myself I'll use other weapons but just use the Greatsword as always. I'll still kinda suck at that but that's okay.

Mephala

Whats up with Kushala Daora? I swear sometimes he is a complete nightmare but othertimes he seems far less threatening. I can sometimes just dance around him and kill in 1 round, other times he spams black winds and carts me three times faster than I can eat a max potion.

That said. I just made the Kusha Charge Blade because it looked cool and I realised I didn't have an Ice CB. I then went and hunted a Lagombi with it because I needed its parts for a ear plug decor. :\

Whats up with Kushala Daora? I swear sometimes he is a complete nightmare but othertimes he seems far less threatening. I can sometimes just dance around him and kill in 1 round, other times he spams black winds and carts me three times faster than I can eat a max potion.

That said. I just made the Kusha Charge Blade because it looked cool and I realised I didn't have an Ice CB. I then went and hunted a Lagombi with it because I needed its parts for a ear plug decor. :

Do you sometimes use a poison weapon? Being poisoned stops him using his black wind it seems. Between a poison weapon and flash bombs he's absolutely useless.

Mephala

That might be it. I've changed weapons a few times between hunts and one of them was definitely poison.

Is the Kushala in the "Advanced" quest stronger? He seems to use the black winds far more than the other one. I'm only at 7*.

Anteo

So I just had a weird interaction with Stygian Zinogre, I was fighting it on the Volcanic Hollow area 1, in a spot where there were no ledges (near the walls) and the Zinogre did an aereal attack, I did a rising attack whit the Switch Axe sword mode and rolled out of it, and somehow I mounted him. I have no idea what happened, I tried rolling around that spot to check if there was a ledge that I missed but nothing. It was super weird.

Chorazin

Ugh so salty. Did an expedition with a Yun and a Kecha and the damn Kecha got away. I'm getting hit way too hard. :( What would you guys recommend as a step up from Jaggi for a CB user?

Yes, I know I'm super early in the game. :p

Ugh so salty. Did an expedition with a Yun and a Kecha and the damn Kecha got away. I'm getting hit way too hard. :( What would you guys recommend as a step up from Jaggi for a CB user?

Yes, I know I'm super early in the game. :p

low rank armor doesn't really matter much, but if you have the guild quest you can get Velocidrome, it has stun halve (less likely to get stunned *stars*) and attack up (M). Tetsucabra is ok too, easier to make, and gives extra health.

If you mean weapons, Dear Lutemis (Rathian wep) and Guardsqual are amount the earliest elemental weps for charge blade. Charge blade and Insect Blade have a problem that the best weapons don't start appearing until late high rank/G-Rank.

Guardsqual tree is one of my favs because you get Desert Rose early in G-Rank, great paralyze weapon. <3

Chorazin

low rank armor doesn't really matter much, but if you have the guild quest you can get Velocidrome, it has stun halve (less likely to get stunned *stars*) and attack up (M). Tetsucabra is ok too, easier to make, and gives extra health.

If you mean weapons, Dear Lutemis (Rathian wep) and Guardsqual are amount the earliest elemental weps for charge blade. Charge blade and Insect Blade have a problem that the best weapons don't start appearing until late high rank/G-Rank.

Guardsqual tree is one of my favs because you get Desert Rose early in G-Rank, great paralyze weapon. <3

Velocidrome, that's sounds like what I need! Gonna start working on set of that.

Weapons I'm good on, I feel like my damage is pretty good. I'm planning on starting to collect the parts for elemental ones soon. Thanks man!

Unai

I think I finally found my weapon: The Bow. It's funny that I also love bows in a variety of games, be them action games like Tomb Raider or Crysis and RPGs like Elder Scrolls or even Baldur's Gate. But the bow mechanics in MH seemed weird to me before I actually used one for a while. I still don't have a bow that has a Powershot, though. Looking forward to try one of them.

co1onel

Tried playing this game again after MHG was announced and I got kicked because the host thought my set was cheated. I guess nobody uses relic sets or something

Top Bottom