• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

PKrockin

I don't know why certain communities get their panties in a twist over illegitimately gained gear. It's a co-op game, not a competitive one. If it's dual blades with 30000 blast, sure, that's going to break the game, but kicking people because their talisman seems a little too good to be true? Why should I care? If they want to arguably ruin the progression system of their own playthrough, be my guest. It doesn't affect me.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I don't know why certain communities get their panties in a twist over illegitimately gained gear. It's a co-op game, not a competitive one. If it's dual blades with 30000 blast, sure, that's going to break the game, but kicking people because their talisman seems a little too good to be true? Why should I care? If they want to arguably ruin the progression system of their own playthrough, be my guest. It doesn't affect me.

I only kick people who are obviously cheating. You can check their guild cards and figure out right quick who is cheating and who probably isn't.

Cooperative games can be highly competitive. Being the first in your class to get to max level in WoW is usually PvP-free, but super competitive, for example.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Why would I want to play with a cheater?

Just rolled the credits after the Kushala Daora fight. A bit disappointed that it wasn't a proper fight, but I'm sure that will come later on in the journey.

Happy that Generations is coming, giving me all the more reason to grind the hell out of 4U before it comes out.

ilium

With the announcement of MH Generations it's time for me to put MH4U to the rest and so I thought it might be fun to share some of our favorite sets we built over the past year.

bowjijcl.jpg

Attack Up L
Ruthlessness
Focus
Load Up
Normal Up

lbgl9j6d.jpg

Attack Up XL
Bonus Shot
Load Up
Element Atk Up

gsuqkas.jpg

HG Earplugs
Sharpness +1
Crit Draw
Quick Sheath
Focus

lsv7kmb.jpg

Challenger +2
Crit Eye +2
Evade Extender
Honed Blade

snstfjfz.jpg

Water Atk +3
HG Earplugs
Honed Blade
Razor Sharp

gshamelkjd0.jpg

Attack Up XL
Adrenaline +2
Crit Eye +1
Weakness Exploit
Focus

I think the skill ceiling in MHG is going to be a lot lower, something I have to get used to I guess. But there seem to be tons of sets available, so it's going to be fun.
Also, I'm pretty bummed to see guild quests and relics go, I know they weren't very popular, but I actually enjoyed them quite a lot and I don't think I would've played MH4U for so long without them. Oh well, I hope MHG delivers on the endgame grind.

tuffy

A lot of my sets are variations on a theme. For the Livid Griscannon, I use:
m2zR4H0.jpg

• Normal Up
  • Challenger +2
  • Evade Extender
  • Trajectory
or by changing a charm and decorations around, I can get:
  • Normal Up
  • Challenger +2
  • Evade Extender
  • Fire Res +15
  • Negate Poison
for Rathians/Rathaloses/etc. using the same parts. Or I can substitute Peak Performance for Fire Res +15 and have both Unscathed and Challenger +2 at the same time for some mixed glowy arm lulz (even though only can be active at a time).

But for the Gravios Gigacannon, there's:
Uwnw7jO.jpg

• Pierce Up
  • Recoil Down +1
  • Challenger +2
  • Evade Extender

These G rank sets work in a blademaster helm for added defense which has kept me off the cart more times than I'd care to admit. And because getting enough Divine Spheres to max out gunner armor is a pain, I try to reuse parts between sets.

Though for some high rank fashion hunting, I've got:
OAJdILJ.jpg

• Normal Up
  • Challenger +2
  • Evade Extender
which still isn't half bad.

tuffy

Would love to see some of your element LBG variations, cause I never went beyond a general set for the Absolute BG..
Amusingly, my LBG sets are all Sororal mixes with a different hat. This one is built specifically for Ukanlos and generally uses the Searulean Firebath:
i9KTnLw.jpg

• Fire Atk +3
  • Fleet Feet
  • Bonus Shot
  • Ice Res +20
Or for Akantor, I'll use the Demonlord Cannon:
KfTP62m.jpg

• Thunder Atk +3
  • Fleet Feet
  • Bonus Shot
  • Combination Pro
But to make short work of the Daora family with the Eldaora's Hornet, there's:
oUI66f5.jpg

• Dragon Atk +3
  • Fleet Feet
  • Bonus Shot
  • Load Up
This one took a godly Rapid Fire +3/Dragon Atk +14 OO charm to achieve, the likes of which I'll probably never find again.

ilium

Amusingly, my LBG sets are all Sororal mixes with a different hat.

Hehe, I guess Sororal is just too good as a template..

But to make short work of the Daora family with the Eldaora's Hornet, there's:
oUI66f5.jpg

• Dragon Atk +3
  • Fleet Feet
  • Bonus Shot
  • Load Up
This one took a godly Rapid Fire +3/Dragon Atk +14 OO charm to achieve, the likes of which I'll probably never find again.

Sweet! could never manage to make a good set for the hornet..

tuffy

Steve's slicing LBG is also the easiest way to break Apex status by far. I've got a variant of my Griscannon set for it which substitutes Attack Up and Combo Pro for Normal Up and Trajectory. Rapid Fire might be more potent, but a 5 shot LBG barrage feels a little too risky against an Apex monster.

You guys will still be playing MH4U before Gen comes out right? I haven't finished all the endgame stuff and I still want to hunt with good people and make cool armors that aren't just mishmashes of Kush/Cham/Teostra parts. '~'

Renewed

You guys will still be playing MH4U before Gen comes out right? I haven't finished all the endgame stuff and I still want to hunt with good people and make cool armors that aren't just mishmashes of Kush/Cham/Teostra parts. '~'

Just call on us. If I'm on GAF to notice it in time, I'll drop a message saying I'll be there.

BioFan

Just got MH4U cos of the 48hr sale. Did the first 5 missions and I'm loving it so far. Can't wait to get deeper into the game.

Steve's slicing LBG is also the easiest way to break Apex status by far. I've got a variant of my Griscannon set for it which substitutes Attack Up and Combo Pro for Normal Up and Trajectory. Rapid Fire might be more potent, but a 5 shot LBG barrage feels a little too risky against an Apex monster.

I've actually found that 5 shot rapid fire isn't so bad, but I use evade extender which helps quite a bit.

I think the skill ceiling in MHG is going to be a lot lower, something I have to get used to I guess. But there seem to be tons of sets available, so it's going to be fun.
Also, I'm pretty bummed to see guild quests and relics go, I know they weren't very popular, but I actually enjoyed them quite a lot and I don't think I would've played MH4U for so long without them. Oh well, I hope MHG delivers on the endgame grind.

On MH4U I'm rocking a set with six really good skills and a sword which poisons things AND heals me like a mega potion really frequently. Just going back to my MH3U set with a measly four powerful, appropriate skills is pretty painful now.

tuffy

I've resumed practicing on random expedition hunts just to keep my skills up while I wait.

That's when I realized MHG isn't going to have bowgun limiter removal either because that's an upgrade option that doesn't pop up until you hit G rank weaponry. I generally yank off HBG limiters for solo play so it's going to be weird to not have that option. Plus it's going to make the God's Island a lot less useful than before.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've actually gone back to 3U for a bit of revisiting, fun to hunt monsters like Agnaktor and Lagiacrus again :3

also Gigginox >>>>> Khezu

Yep.

A friend of mine loves collecting shit in 3U so I end up playing it every month or so.

It's hard everytime though, GS feels like it is missing half of its moveset.

I do find I miss swimming in 4u though, something I thought I wouldn't say.

Yep.

A friend of mine loves collecting shit in 3U so I end up playing it every month or so.

It's hard everytime though, GS feels like it is missing half of its moveset.

I do find I miss swimming in 4u though, something I thought I wouldn't say.

GS and Lance, I feel so limited in poking and you'd think that would be expected. 4U has spoiled me with upward thrust followups. HH practically feels like a different moveset, or perhaps I just haven't used it in a while.

I shudder to try GL here, but it's inevitable I suppose.

I still playing once in a while, mostly fashion hunting since I've got plenty of charms to mix and match. Kinda burned out with guild quest so I prefer normal hunting, though.

Just got MH4U cos of the 48hr sale. Did the first 5 missions and I'm loving it so far. Can't wait to get deeper into the game.

Just message me if you need any help to get you through high rank to crown.

Mephala

I love it when you go into a hunt expecting to struggle but you end up doing everything right. I'm trying to rank up in 8* so I'm still in L/HR armor mixes for G-Rank monsters. Went in expecting a careful slog against Purp Gypcy but instead I had danced around it with aggression and had it constantly running from me. The only time I was carted was when I stopped fighting it and decided to try my luck against the intruder. Everything was ok until it decided to get virus. Next time Rajang, I'll be prepared for you.

By the way, what does Apex mean?

Marsminchen

Neo Member
By the way, what does Apex mean?

Apex monsters are monsters that have overcome the Frenzy Virus which makes them stronger than regular or frenzied monsters. While in Apex state, they spread the virus, they're difficult to mount, resistant to traps and their body parts harden, so your weapon will bounce off most of the time. Unless you hit a spot that's still vulnerable, like Seregios' feet.

In order to make knocking a monster out of Apex status easier you'll need Wystones. You can get them by doing certain village quests and I highly recommend getting them because otherwise the late game will be a huge pain in the proverbial...

Mephala

Apex monsters are monsters that have overcome the Frenzy Virus which makes them stronger than regular or frenzied monsters. While in Apex state, they spread the virus, they're difficult to mount, resistant to traps and their body parts harden, so your weapon will bounce of most of the time. Unless you hit a spot that's still vulnerable, like Seregios' feet.

In order to make knocking a monster out of Apex status easier you'll need Wystones. You can get them by doing certain village quests and I highly recommend getting them because otherwise the late game will be a huge pain in the proverbial...

Thanks, I'll look into getting a wystone then because that Rajang was... Not nice and I can only expect more of that kind of difficulty, or worse.

Thanks so much for everyone who offers the help. I'm still trying to find the best weapon to use.
Any recommendations?

Melee and range use different armors, it can be difficult and grindy to try and get both styles as you begin to farm for your first or next set of gear. Your first decision should be whether you want to be meleeing or shooting.

All the weapons are very capable though so you can pretty much make any of them work, just playing a little differently.
I highly recommend taking a look at some of these weapon tutorials by gaijin hunter.

My all time favourite is the Greatsword. Landing those full charges on monster weakspots is exceptionally satisfying. I also really like the Charge Blade since it is a new weapon and I have been using GS for a few generations of MH now.

Rawk Hawk

Haven't played this in so long

X has me so excited, that I want to jump back xD

If anyone needs help with anything, let me know

I know, I'll probably get on a few times and brush up on skills before Generations comes out. I played 4u with the circle pad pro, but since have got a new 3DS, will need to learn how to use the nub now.

I know, I'll probably get on a few times and brush up on skills before Generations comes out. I played 4u with the circle pad pro, but since have got a new 3DS, will need to learn how to use the nub now.

You'll never need the nub because the ZL and ZR buttons are all you need.

BioFan

Thanks, I'll look into getting a wystone then because that Rajang was... Not nice and I can only expect more of that kind of difficulty, or worse.

Melee and range use different armors, it can be difficult and grindy to try and get both styles as you begin to farm for your first or next set of gear. Your first decision should be whether you want to be meleeing or shooting.

All the weapons are very capable though so you can pretty much make any of them work, just playing a little differently.
I highly recommend taking a look at some of these weapon tutorials by gaijin hunter.

My all time favourite is the Greatsword. Landing those full charges on monster weakspots is exceptionally satisfying. I also really like the Charge Blade since it is a new weapon and I have been using GS for a few generations of MH now.

I guess I'm not a range player in Monster Hunter. But I can see trying the heavy bow during a multiplayer game.

I think I found my weapon, the Charge Blade. It's fun to use. Though I also like the Insect Glaive and the Hunting Horn. But I agree, most weapons are very capable.

Mephala

My issue with the insect glaive was not knowing what I was doing with my bug. I felt like upgrading it did very little and I was wasting lots of tickets messing around.

I like all the melee weapons to be honest.

Rajang is one of these monsters that is easy if you stop bothering going for its damn horns.

Too bad you need them to make good mixed shit. ZZZZZZZZZZ

Sarcasm

Never used or use the nub..I just tap L (habit I got from PSP I guess).

(I don't know what Z refers to btw)

tuffy

Rajang is one of these monsters that is easy if you stop bothering going for its damn horns.

Too bad you need them to make good mixed shit. ZZZZZZZZZZ
Rajang's horns are too good of a shot target to pass up. Just wait for him to come down with that beam, roll to the side, and fill his face full of shots. Unless he's actually aiming at someone else, in which case I wind up rolling into his beam and then I feel pretty stupid about it.

yeah well, I guess it should invest into partbreaker since I hate having to do +10 mins to farm one part, only charm I have worth a damn is a +7 handicraft

Bouncing Dalamadur save me with your long ass white.

iosefe

i need opinions, 4UGaf, from those who may have played MHX as well

i've been considereding getting 4U in the wake of the MHGen announcment, should i hop on it, or should i save up for MHGen?

i'm sure there would be a 3ds bundle, and i don't have a 3ds of my own, been using my sister's which is currently with her boyfriend.

help me out. i'm sure 4U will still have its worth

tuffy

i've been considereding getting 4U in the wake of the MHGen announcment, should i hop on it, or should i save up for MHGen?
One upside to getting 4U now is that you'll get a head start on learning the various Monster Hunter game mechanics that you'll be encountering again in Generations - like weapons controls, how armor skills work, and so on. Another upside is that there's plenty of content in 4U that won't be appearing in Generations. So if possible, starting with 4U now isn't a bad idea at all.

iosefe

Hopefully still on sale. I just bought the game before it too and current non sale price is worth it. If you mainly play offline with bits online its fine not to get MHX at release.
It's currently 30. Worthy price I'm sure. I can grab it after work tomorrow. I have friends with 4U that I can possibly roll with, but I tend to solo monster hunter, conditioned by 3U.

I would appreciate my own 3ds though, hopefully I can easily transfer my save from my sister's 3ds to my eventual n3DS

BioFan

i need opinions, 4UGaf, from those who may have played MHX as well

i'm sure there would be a 3ds bundle, and i don't have a 3ds of my own, been using my sister's which is currently with her boyfriend.

help me out. i'm sure 4U will still have its worth
I just got MH4U last weekend during the 48hr sale. And I got my 3DS just last month. If you don't plan to buy any other games, maybe you can wait a little longer for the MHG 3DS. But if there is a 3DS system you want (Fire Emblem one is so awesome, I got the ALBW 3DS myself) then sure buy MH4U now.
I'm having so much fun with it. There are so many content that I'm unsure if I can do all.
It's definitely worth the $29.99 (or $19.99 for my case).

BioFan

It's currently 30. Worthy price I'm sure. I can grab it after work tomorrow. I have friends with 4U that I can possibly roll with, but I tend to solo monster hunter, conditioned by 3U.

I would appreciate my own 3ds though, hopefully I can easily transfer my save from my sister's 3ds to my eventual n3DS
Correct me if I'm wrong but start using ur own 3DS, 3DS transfer save is a pain, or maybe impossible if u r transfering from one username to another.

tuffy

A cartridge version of the game wouldn't have a problem because the hunter save data would stay with the cartridge. But a copy from the e-shop is basically welded to the 3DS and a system transfer is an all-or-nothing thing at the moment.

Top Bottom