• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

iosefe

last night i mount and topple a gendrome and place trap next to it to capture. It gets up and walks the other way.

I just shut of my 3ds and went to bed

tuffy

Another day of farming Seregios and still no lenses. It's Uragaan palliums/Lao heavenlies all over again.
Apex Seregios coughs them up often enough. And if you farm with the same people often enough, a Cosmic Ticket will get you one for sure.

Kinsei

Banned
Apex Seregios coughs them up often enough. And if you farm with the same people often enough, a Cosmic Ticket will get you one for sure.
I'm G2 atm so no Apex fights for me yet. I prefer to play solo so I've just been farming the G rank caravan Seregios. I can usually take it out in sub 10 minutes.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Ever since Generations was announced I've started playing again.

I didn't play much because I got into destiny and all that jazz ;D

Been busy finishing the low rank caravan and farming some high rank gear in the online.

I just unlocked the Kushara Daora advanced.

Another day of farming Seregios and still no lenses. It's Uragaan palliums/Lao heavenlies all over again.
Do the dual seregios quest in the elder hall.

I also got a lot of them during the star knight event, along with zinogre skyemeralds.

LOL got a Relic GS with +5 Edgemaster, 1153 dmg -25%

with ultra shitty sharpness.

Bladelaw

So I picked this up when it was on sale for $20 and I'm really enjoying it. It's my first real monster hunter game (I played Freedom Wars and Soul Sacrifice for a bit). After running through the weapon tutorial quests I settled on the charge blade.

I've cleared all the one and 2 star quests in the town and nothing new is showing up. Am I missing something? The Caravaneer mentioned traveling and I poked around but nothing happened when I did. I ran a Guildhall quest to see if that opened anything but nothing happened?

What am I missing?

tuffy

So I picked this up when it was on sale for $20 and I'm really enjoying it. It's my first real monster hunter game (I played Freedom Wars and Soul Sacrifice for a bit). After running through the weapon tutorial quests I settled on the charge blade.

I've cleared all the one and 2 star quests in the town and nothing new is showing up. Am I missing something? The Caravaneer mentioned traveling and I poked around but nothing happened when I did. I ran a Guildhall quest to see if that opened anything but nothing happened?

What am I missing?
Have you done the expedition tutorial mission yet? A blue circle should pop up on the map screen pretty early on so the game can walk you through how expeditions work. If that's not an option, look around for somebody with a yellow box over their head to talk to. Most of the progression is either doing a quest or talking to somebody. Oh, and nothing in the Guild Hall will be needed for Caravan progression until the "postgame", so you shouldn't have to worry about that.

Bladelaw

I thought I did but when I went to the other town (dun...something, I'm at work can't check right now) the Caravaneer said the place had been wrecked by a monster and I didn't see anyone with a yellow chat box so I went back "home" and looked around some more.

From there I said screw it and just farmed up a Jaggi Armor set.

Roubjon

Just died twice online fighting an Expert G Rank Molten Tigrex, causing us to lose. I was immediately kicked. Feels real bad and I completely lost interest to play anymore afterwards. I'm starting to think my G Rank Azure Rathalos Armor isn't good enough anymore.

PtM

Banned
Just died twice online fighting an Expert G Rank Molten Tigrex, causing us to lose. I was immediately kicked. Feels real bad and I completely lost interest to play anymore afterwards. I'm starting to think my G Rank Azure Rathalos Armor isn't good enough anymore.
I always thought elemental weaknesses were significant in G. So, different armours for different monsters?
Or make something with Evade+. :p

ohlawd

live and learn.

I double cart a lot cuz I'm reckless as fuck. luckily GAFfers don't care that much (pls say you don't, everyone). I hate performing badly with randoms tho

go get some swag Elder Dragon mixed sets. less effort to upgrade defense

Like most people that don't bother mixing armor, Star Knight/Kaiser(teostra)/Excello(Molten Tigrex)/Rath Soul Z(Azure rathalos) are top tier for not mixed sets.

Most mixed sets require good charms, and that's RNG. The only charms worthwhile I have are 7+ handicraft OO, +5 hearing OOO and Normal Up +5 OOO. Some other not as good but mostly specific situation (Destroyer +7 for Rajang, +5 Tenderizer for Partbreaking). I seriously want a good Spirit charm :(

Upgrading armor is pretty important in G-Rank. Around 700 is the sweetspot of not getting one shotted by some powerful moves. Eat for defense in G-Rank (Bread plus something), Bread plus drink has fixed Moxie, I think steamed; make demon drug to get attack up.

Roubjon

I have Rath Soul Z and my skills are Expert (Critical Eye +3), Focus (Fast Charge), Hearing (HG EarPlugs), and CritElemnt (Elemental Crit). And with my armor upgraded until you need those Divine Armor Spheres is 636. I just kinda messed up fighting the thing since I only ever fought one of them before. I'll definitely exclusively eat defense food though.

On the subject of carting, people joining a room and double/triple carting really doesn't bother me (unless it's the same person every single hunt, no matter the monster) but rather the time it then takes to put another room together when the carter leaves the room and the other players rage quit.

It sometimes takes me 20-25 minutes to find a room doing what I need to do and it can disband entirely three minutes into the first quest because someone got stunned/comboed and then caught another unlucky cart after returning.

Eating for attack is GOOD, but you need to be confident on the monster that you are fighting. I still eat for Attack when fighting monsters that I find easy or manageable damage (Gore for example).

Kinsei

Banned
I thought I did but when I went to the other town (dun...something, I'm at work can't check right now) the Caravaneer said the place had been wrecked by a monster and I didn't see anyone with a yellow chat box so I went back "home" and looked around some more.

From there I said screw it and just farmed up a Jaggi Armor set.

Do another expedition. You have to do two to unlock your urgent to get into three stars. Don;t worry about Dundorma now, you don't go there until you reach the seven star quests.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Eternal thanks, Tuffy!

That was something.

Teostra, Dahren, Kushala, even Ukanlos I can wrap my head around but I have no idea what was going in the dalamadur fight. All I saw was snake scales for me to hit lol.

I promise not to misuse my rank ;D

well got a +4 edgemaster charm no slots

now i'm farming high rank khezu for pale bones that you need for the spirit 3 jewels

5% drop rate and they die super fast before i even break the damn head ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

guess i'll just use a high rank weapon instead

Is the kinsect meant to be so hard to aim? I can never get into position to aim it the way I want to. On the rare occasion I do the monster is too fast to be standing there anymore once I get into position.

Bladelaw

Do another expedition. You have to do two to unlock your urgent to get into three stars. Don;t worry about Dundorma now, you don't go there until you reach the seven star quests.

Thanks, this got me back on track I didn't realize there was another location to venture too. I'm a long way from being useful but hopefully I can lend my charge blade to the hunt once I get a better handle on things.

Is the kinsect meant to be so hard to aim? I can never get into position to aim it the way I want to. On the rare occasion I do the monster is too fast to be standing there anymore once I get into position.

Increasing the Kinsect's speed helps a lot. When I play the IG, I tend to stay in close to the monster and use the pheromone shot (press R by itself) only when I need to fine-tune; the less the insect has to travel, the less chance of something going wrong.

Increasing the Kinsect's speed helps a lot. When I play the IG, I tend to stay in close to the monster and use the pheromone shot (press R by itself) only when I need to fine-tune; the less the insect has to travel, the less chance of something going wrong.

I read that getting the best glaive (extender) requires feeding the kinsect a certain way. Since the process involves pumping in power nectar and decreasing speed initially should I go for the extender with my initial glaive or wait till end game and start a new one? Don't want to waste time starting again but will I have a tough time with lowered speed if I go for it right off the bat?

I read that getting the best glaive (extender) requires feeding the kinsect a certain way. Since the process involves pumping in power nectar and decreasing speed initially should I go for the extender with my initial glaive or wait till end game and start a new one? Don't want to waste time starting again but will I have a tough time with lowered speed if I go for it right off the bat?

You can fix it, you can keep feeding some elemental nectar to lower certain stats etc then feed the one you want to up, on G-rank expeditions/Guild quest you can obtain Nectar ++ which gives more stats and doesn't lower other stats.

To get the extract extend, your kinsect needs to to have like 96 power, 96 stamina, 80 something speed.

Easy way to get it, feed power to get 96 power then feed speed until 114 speed, then feed stamina to get 96 stamina. The kinsects you want are called Bilbodrix for cutting Kinsects and Ladytower for Blunt kinsects.

You can fix it, you can keep feeding some elemental nectar to lower certain stats etc then feed the one you want to up, on G-rank expeditions/Guild quest you can obtain Nectar ++ which gives more stats and doesn't lower other stats.

To get the extract extend, your kinsect needs to to have like 96 power, 96 stamina, 80 something speed.

Easy way to get it, feed power to get 96 power then feed speed until 114 speed, then feed stamina to get 96 stamina. The kinsects you want are called Bilbodrix for cutting Kinsects and Ladytower for Blunt kinsects.

Is it possible to make the ultimate Glaive with the extender effect from the very beginning by upgrading the bone staff continuously or should I just wait till end game because the best Glaives aren't available till then?

kinsects are unique to each glaive. It goes from upgrading kinsect>upgrading weapon>upgrading kinsect>upgrading glaive and so on.

You won't be able to, and the only low rank-high rank glaives worth it are Gore Magala, Stealth Glaive (Nerscylla) and Kushala Daora's.

You get extract extender for Nerscylla glaive at G-rank 1, Gore and Kushala at G3, it is pretty end game. Besides Glaive doesn't get much more variety until G-rank.

kinsects are unique to each glaive. It goes from upgrading kinsect>upgrading weapon>upgrading kinsect>upgrading glaive and so on.

You won't be able to, and the only low rank-high rank glaives worth it are Gore Magala, Stealth Glaive (Nerscylla) and Kushala Daora's.

You get extract extender for Nerscylla glaive at G-rank 1, Gore and Kushala at G3, it is pretty end game. Besides Glaive doesn't get much more variety until G-rank.

So basically it's a waste of time putting resources into the starting Glaive (bone staff) upgrade path and it's better to wait till end game when the higher level Glaives become available and put your resources into them? Does this mean there's a consensus on what the best insect Glaive is then?

You can call it waste, there are just better glaives in the game, but they are viable. Le Miracle, Gore's last upgrade, and Reaper's Stroke are really good Dragon and poison glaives, respectively.

"best" glaive depends of the monster you are fighting, glaive benefits a lot from elemental weapons since they hit quite fast. But one of the most used glaives for speedruns is from G3 (Bounding Dalamadur), with 930 RAW damage with something like 320 blast damage.

The last bone staff upgrade has around 700 raw damage and requires elemental awakening skill to unlock its paralyze. IG is like on the most expensive weapons since it requires both upgrades for kinsects, nectars that are easily more gotten through the wycoon which means you need caravan points, and the monster materials for the respective upgrades. That's why only stealth glaive and gore's glaives are the ones worth investing in low-rank with kushala's appearing late high-rank.

Top Bottom