• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 1 on Nintendo Switch

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Duh, if you auto/badly scale graphics until it runs you get this, otherwise a Switch game of such limited, conventional fighting game scope should (visually) top the beautiful ARMS which is a launch (ish) title and does far more with Virtual-On style 3D fighting (and has 2 vs 2, 4 way split screen etc.).

So, yeah, obviously Switch can have way higher quality models, textures, lighting, materials, effects, anything as it's proven all these years many times over but apparently folks now want to claim it can only do Wii level low end stuff already (but even with Wii you had better looking titles than this).​

Last edited:

radewagon

At a certain point, scaling graphics down just isn't enough. What NeatherRealm really needed to do here was create an alternate set of highly stylized low-poly character models and backgrounds to use specifically for the Switch port. Heck, if done well, they could have even gotten some extra sales out of it from gamers that liked the exclusive look. If you're curious what I mean, take a look at the Ghostbusters port for the Wii/PS2/PSP. It had a charm all its own to the point where it felt less like a downgrade than it should have; feeling more like just alternate take on the same game.

QfF3y3O.jpg

Hoppa

Mortal Kombat 11 was way better than this on Switch. This because MK1 is shit in comparison with MK11, they downgraded the game for no reason.

I don't know why developers make a game and then have fun to ruin it in the next chapter. I don't even know if they are the same developers at this point.

Edit: I just realized MK1 let you to switch characters like Tekken Tag, maybe the issue is caused by that. THey are very taxing mechanics,
You don't, you tag them in for an assist attack then they jump offscreen again it's one of the main mechanics of the game

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
No one expects this game to look like the current console versions, but this looks like when people mod PC games to run on crazy below min spec systems. It just looks broken.

To think this is what Switch owners received and all they were asking for was a HD version of the original trilogy. Sometimes people try too hard and don’t want to take the easy money.

After this fiasco, and possible slower than anticipated sales of MK1, is what I expect to happen.

Maybe by 2026 we will get a HD original trilogy collection.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
MK Switch versions trailer uses PC footage, with a Steam achievement pop-up and all.

I sense a class-action coming.

screenshot_2023-09-206fizy.jpg

Interfectum

To think this is what Switch owners received and all they were asking for was a HD version of the original trilogy. Sometimes people try too hard and don’t want to take the easy money.

After this fiasco, and possible slower than anticipated sales of MK1, is what I expect to happen.

Maybe by 2026 we will get a HD original trilogy collection.
?

Boy bawang

I guess I'll post it here as well: while the game cannot, obvioulsy, look like its new generation counterparts, the screenshots shared around internet are disingeneous and basically just serve media outlets to get more click with console-war bait.

Top Bottom