• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 1 on Nintendo Switch

Hohenheim

I remember getting MK 2 on Gameboy as a kid. Now, that was pretty terrible.
Or the censored version of the first MK om Snes. With green blood..
Nintendo always had shit versions of Mk games.

Robb

Gold Member
Eyewash%20Gif%203.gif

MK11 is one of the best Switch ports till date, and obviously shits all over this absolute garbage port.

Power Stone and Soul Caliber are fucking classics though

SF 3rd Strike, SFA3, MvC 2, CvS 2, Garou: MotW, DoA 2, Guilty Gear X, KoF '99: Evo, Virtua Fighter 3tb and I'm forgetting a lot more.

DC was basically the FGC haven. Moreso because of the frame perfect arcade ports. The only major FG it missed was Tekken, and Sega even offered Namco to port it over but didn't happen because of some tech issues like lower RAM pool or something. I don't clearly remember if Tekken Tag had some sort of Sony moneyhat as a launch exclusive for PS2. The DC could clearly run their in-house engine in Soul Calibur.

OuterLimits

folks here are trying too hard to hate something. It looks exactly as one would expect something like this to look on Switch, and given what they have to work with, it looks great.
Yep. It is a portable system that is 6 years old. I'm still impressed Hello Games got No Man's Sky running decently on the console.

Hoppa

It doesn't look that bad considering what it's being played on. Price could be justified if you're an avid player for portability I guess. As long as the actual fighting is 60fps then it's fine

Onironauta

Looks like a shitty port, Switch can definitely do better.
Fighting games on PS360 had way better character models than this.

thatJohann

It’s not too bad without the 600 x zoom in the op lol of course there is downgraded to be had 😵‍💫 but again the IQ is way better then 11 on switch.

a-few-quick-screenshots-i-took-of-the-switch-version-for-v0-sddecrkwl9ob1.jpg

a-few-quick-screenshots-i-took-of-the-switch-version-for-v0-n9t2z7gwl9ob1.jpg
Call me crazy but I‘ve always liked the soft look of Switch games. I find the super detailed PS5 version too sharp and cluttered. I know I’m the minority with this. I couldn’t play Immortals Fenyx Rising on PS5 but loved it on Switch. Go figure.

KXVXII9X

Oh dear.... lol

It looks really rough. With that said, I wouldn't mind the lower poly art style if it was a lot more polished and had better graphical fidelity. It oddly fits. The current gen versions look miles better though.

Fbh

Doesn't look that bad its on toaster and frame rate is not good.

Eh, it doesn't look THAT bad when looking at the whole picture and not just zooming in on the characters.
Also the framerate goes to shit during the non interactive parts but during actual gameplay it seems to stay in the 50's.

It will look horrible in docked mode on a big TV and I'd still rather get any other version. But in portable mode it looks like it could be half decent for someone who absolutely needs to have this available on the go.

UnNamed

Banned
Mortal Kombat 11 was way better than this on Switch. This because MK1 is shit in comparison with MK11, they downgraded the game for no reason.

I don't know why developers make a game and then have fun to ruin it in the next chapter. I don't even know if they are the same developers at this point.

Edit: I just realized MK1 let you to switch characters like Tekken Tag, maybe the issue is caused by that. THey are very taxing mechanics,

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Y’all should treasure moments like this. Someday we won’t have hilarious psycho-eye’d ports like this anymore. Reminds me of the age of awful 16-bit DOOM ports.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's bizarre they put out the Switch version but not PS4/XBO versions. Most of the work for lower-end assets is already done.

It’s actually looks better than 11 and pretty crazy that’s it’s running on a mobile device from 2017 with 4 gigs of total ram.

I guess it’s how you look at it. From a technical standpoint it’s a real “ impossible “ port but it probably should have remained impossible. Lol
That's nice but the reality is that is looks like complete shit.

Top Bottom