• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat One Officially Announced (Coming September 19)

Fbh

I really like the art direction. Seems a bit more grounded and "classic" in a way.

But are we seriously still locking characters behind a pre order ?

Kacho

Basically lui kang reset the timeline and pretty much knows everything while everyone else knows nothing
Should be a fun ride. They can appeal to nostalgia while still having creative freedom to play around with established events. I always love when the hero secretly has the upper hand. Lui is basically Batman on top of being a God lol. Obviously shit will go off the rails at some point, but I'm excited to see where it goes.

-Zelda-

Banned
Lets Go Weekend GIF
Lets Go My Body Is Ready GIF

Hoppa

Or just cameos like Terminator, Alien, Rambo, Predator, Kratos, Freddy. Boon loves that stuff
That could be interesting, sounds like the Kameo fighters are non-playable so I assume would be like a tag assist type thing. Would be cool to see Buffy in MK (is Buffy WB?)

ShadowNate

The CGI seems to have been taken from the story mode of MK 1 and fatalities cutscenes. I'd say it's in-engine (it has to be if the game actually releases in 4 months).

Justin9mm

They should of dropped the shitty '1' from the name and just made it Mortal Kombat. People would of just called it MK 2023. Like MW 2019.

Last edited:

Kacho

I’ll surely get this on Steamdeck but seeing Sabre as a dev for the Switch version makes me so happy as they did a great job with the W3 port
I’m worried they’ll lean harder into the live service elements with MK1. In MK11 you basically needed to be connected to the internet to have the full experience. Really bummed me out.

Last edited:

Cashon

Banned
Wasn't Mortal Kombat 9 a reboot? So this is a reboot of a reboot?
9 was a reboot within a sequel (hence people calling it 9, despite that not being part of the title), which is what this one appears to be as well.

9 picked up during the end of Armageddon and used time-travel as a means of telling the story of the original trilogy in a different way (while still referencing stuff from the original three).

1 picks up directly after the end of the Aftermath DLC for 11, which uses time-travel-ish to tell the story in a different way.

Technically still all part of one long, continuous story.

Banned
They should of dropped the shitty '1' from the name and just made it Mortal Kombat. People would of would have just called it MK 2023. Like MW 2019.

then we would have the 3rd game called Mortal Kombat... that would be way worse.

and I bet people will eventually start calling it MK12 anyways, just like everyone in the world (INCLUDING THE XBOX STORE BTW) calls the 2011 reboot MK9, which of course lead Netherrealm to name the next games MK10 (MKX) and 11.

Last edited:

pepodmc_

Switch? Gotta be Cloud, right?

controlling-laugh-laughing.gif
No, it will have two dedicated teams making the switch version, one of them , who made the witcher 3 port, will not be cloud.

I didnt saw anything amazing, i mean, its a change of artistic style more than anything, even mk11 faces give me more sensation of a real face that what i saw in this trailer. Plus, this looks like story cgi, we will see when they show gameplay.
Perhaps they are using their custom unreal engine 3 in this game again. Thats why a switch version is being made , taking in consideration that mk11 was released on switch.
Plus it must run at 60 fps, so, the only way to make a mk game at 60 fps on switch is if they are using the same engine than mk11.
but, its very strange that a ps4 version is not coming along the switch version.

Plus a fighting game on the cloud could be a disaster with the lag

Shut0wen

Should be a fun ride. They can appeal to nostalgia while still having creative freedom to play around with established events. I always love when the hero secretly has the upper hand. Lui is basically Batman on top of being a God lol. Obviously shit will go off the rails at some point, but I'm excited to see where it goes.
Tbf i think ed boon is secretly sick of the mortal kombat tournament now and is just making it his own thing, i mean really this should be about the tournament but i highly doubt it from the trailer

MiguelItUp

I'm surprised some folks were expecting gameplay. This reveal is almost exactly like MK11's, the CG reveal, and then gameplay next week at the PS showcase. Hell, they're even doing the preorder for a character thing that they did with 11, where you got Shao Kahn and it also included beta access. WB is just being WB, lol.

I'm digging the look and vibe of everything. I agree with the sentiment of it feeling like it's going back to the roots, in a way. I'm just really curious about gameplay, and lord do I hope it's better than the last two games. But MK games have always been fun to play for single player content and then some. It's one of the only fighting games with THAT much content. At least SFIV is looking like it'll be a decent competitor in that area as well.

Really curious to know about the roster. I want to know about classic/returning characters more so than new ones. I hope Reptile comes back. 😥

Last edited:

Hot5pur

Trailer started off good and then became cringe. The gore seems cheap and unappealing.

I think the CGI is close to what the actual game will look like. Probably the same models.

Of course you have to pay more for early access. Love where the industry is going.

Trailer doesn't get me hyped, we will see how the game play is. But it's NRS, they've been making the same game across MK and Injustice for the last 10 years. Would be nice if it can capture the magic of MK9.

Top Bottom