• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat One Officially Announced (Coming September 19)

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
"it's in your blood"
- that's racist
- it's in your soul
- that's racist
- it's in your eye
- that's gay
- that's homophobic
- that's black
- that's racist

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
This is one of the most brilliant trailers I have ever seen. Relative to a fighting game, it had some pretty restrained and nuanced storytelling, setting up the world that exists after the time shenanigans of the previous game (I think the last one had Liu Kang getting time powers or something) as a nice setup for this being a "remake" and some pretty nice subtlety, and I'm sitting here thinking "Oh, well look at this. Netherrealms are trying a different kind of Mortal Kom - oh, is that guys throat slit? Yup, and there goes the back of his skull. Ok he just killed a guy by smooshing his head down to his taint and splitting their body in two."

Fucking. Genius.

CamHostage

Agree to disagree. Cross gen games warrant hesitation IMO. I'm not saying that I won't buy them to be clear. I'm just gonna need to see final product before jumping in (Ie, no preorder).

You ALWAYS need to see the final product before jumping in.

Not having "cross-gen" releases isn't going to automatically make a game more "next-gen".

Whether there was a Switch version or not in the publishing plans, this is the Mortal Kombat game Netherealm set out to make.

Last edited:

reezoo

Good for you if you can spend time on teaser of a trailer of an actual game, I am explaining my situation, assuming other gamers who also have grown with the industry who have less time to waste on sh*t like this.

What a fucking useless trailer.

Hey, it is Mortal Kombat, with all the characters you know from Mortal Kombat. With all the gore you know from Mortal Kombat.
Pre-order now, Mortal Kombat.

CamHostage

I fully expect a plot twist where Switch is actually Switch2 or Switch 2023.

It'd be cute if that could be the case, but no...

It's coming out this year, and whatever Switch follow-up will not be. Also prices for Switch2 will undoubtedly be the same as other current-gen prices.

No PS4 version is likely a simple economic choice. No reason to hire a studio or two for versions which will sell fractional proportions compared to the active PS5/XBSeries or Switch audiences.

...Look, I know we're used to doing this PS5/4/3/2/X math in terms of gauging the "gen" of a game, but a 1-on-1 fighter can be redone on lesser hardware. We learned this way back with Game Gear ports of MK1.

Yo9vzG4.jpg

Last edited:

Doczu

Hiding a character (Shang-Tsung no less) behind a pre-order paywall just moved this game from "buy" to "wait for a price drop on the inevitable complete edition". Good i just play local versus, so i won't have any fomo for MK.

Fuck off with that NehterRealms, my boy Shang a pre-order bonus...

"Hey you can't play as Shang-Tsung, the evil mastermind of this tournament, the one you fight as the final boss and is implemented in the game but stuck begind a pay wall. You need those 5kb of unlock data for it, pay 4.99$$ or pre-order now.

Last edited:

SCB3

Hiding a character (Shang-Tsung no less) behind a pre-order paywall just moved this game from "buy" to "wait for a price drop on the inevitable complete edition". Good i just play local versus, so i won't have any fomo for MK.

Fuck off with that NehterRealms, my boy Shang a pre-order bonus...

"Hey you can't play as Shang-Tsung, the evil mastermind of this tournament, the one you fight as the final boss and is implemented in the game but stuck begind a pay wall. You need those 5kb of unlock data for it, pay 4.99$$ or pre-order now.
They no doubt add him later as dlc, sucks I know but I know I’ll pre order it regardless

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Liu Kang, Johnny Cage? Sonya? I want them to look like Bruce Lee, Van Dam and Cynthia Rothrock Like the classics.
My guy, I've got good news for you about wanting Jonny Cage to look like Jean-Claude Van Damme

DARlWdi.png

Last edited:
This is one of the most brilliant trailers I have ever seen. Relative to a fighting game, it had some pretty restrained and nuanced storytelling, setting up the world that exists after the time shenanigans of the previous game (I think the last one had Liu Kang getting time powers or something) as a nice setup for this being a "remake" and some pretty nice subtlety, and I'm sitting here thinking "Oh, well look at this. Netherrealms are trying a different kind of Mortal Kom - oh, is that guys throat slit? Yup, and there goes the back of his skull. Ok he just killed a guy by smooshing his head down to his taint and splitting their body in two."

Fucking. Genius.
Yeah, let's make MK not be MK...C'mon dude...
This is called identity.
Are u expecting Shang Tsung attack them with a hadouken ?

Last edited:

SSfox

So next week gameplay at PS Showcase, then a character reveal at Combo Breaker few days after, then first Kombat Kast a day after?

I love how it starts out like a generic Marvel trailer but then goes full Mortal Kombat fatalities mode at the end. These people know their audience.

I can only pray the real fatalities in the game are as beautifully bloody as this CGI trailer.

The Skull

Micro transactions (in game currency mentioned) and a fighter locked behind pre-order? Hard pass, wait for Komplete edition a year after.

Ribi

This comment features my thoughts like never seen before!

Bring back the adventure single player you cowards

sachos

Switch version but no PS4/XO version, interesting. Cloud streaming maybe?
Also, the Kameo fighter system sounds like MvC 1 assist partners.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
With this entry can they do proper in-game animation this time around?
xj2omq1.gif

No. The animation will never look as nice as the Japanese games. The models and environments usually look gorgeous tho. And the facial animation is always incredible. Injustice 2 in particular has facial motion capture rivaling Naughty Dog.

Top Bottom