• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Mortal Kombat' producer explains why you won't see Johnny Cage: "it felt weird to have a white actor be the hero of the story"

Raziel

Lastly, one more problem Garner and his team had was the unsavory idea of a white character (like Johnny Cage) being the hero who saves everyone. (Tan is mixed-race Chinese-British.) In Mortal Kombat lore, Johnny Cage is a Hollywood star who enters the tournament to prove he isn’t a pampered, spoiled A-lister. While Cage is rarely the capital-H hero in any given Mortal Kombat game, he is always somewhere near the center bringing levity to the serious stakes.

Garner didn’t confirm the precise whereabouts of Johnny Cage in Mortal Kombat (his name came up a few times during the interview) but his absence thus far suggests the filmmakers are trying something different.

“I feel like if I was getting to make a movie with a diverse cast, it felt weird to have a white actor, literally Johnny Cage, be the hero of the story,” Garner says, adding that these discussions took place at the start of the movie’s pre-production nearly seven years ago “way before Black Lives Matter” and other pushes for diversity across industries including Hollywood.

MrMephistoX

Johnny cage was never the hero, more like the goofball
Yeah he’s always been kind of a joke but honestly wouldn’t the solution be to hire a biracial dude like Keanu to play him? Pretty sure that with a name like Daniel Pesina and his bro Carlos the arcade game actor might be actually Latino?

Last edited:
Lastly, one more problem Garner and his team had was the unsavory idea of a white character (like Johnny Cage) being the hero who saves everyone. (Tan is mixed-race Chinese-British.)

Ah yes, would be unsavory for the white character to save everyone. Chinese one will do.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Seems like a troll/bait piece, because no sane person would actively not include Johnny Cage from a Mortal Kombat movie because it’s not diverse enough with a white character in it and because Johnny has to be the hero if he’s there.

There must be some important detail missing here.

Last edited:
Almost feel like rewriting history or gaslighting tbh. In the first movie Johnny Cage actually steps aside so that Liu Kang (played by Honk Kong-American actor Robin Shou) can defeat Shang Tsung in the final battle.

Maybe the journo was leading him on. "Why did you bravely decide on this POC actor instead of a horrible white man?" "Well I want to sell tons of movie tickets and receive favorable coverage from you and your lunatics, so let me tell you all about that..."

Last edited:
Almost feel like rewriting history or gaslighting tbh. In the first movie Johnny Cage actually steps aside so that Liu Kang (played by Honk Kong-American actor Robin Shou) can defeat Shang Tsung in the final battle.

Maybe the journo was leading him on. "Why did you bravely decide on this POC actor instead of a horrible white man?" "Well I want to sell tons of movie tickets and receive favorable coverage from you and your lunatics, so let me tell you all about that..."

This is why I don’t like the current political and cultural climate as an Asian (Chinese) person who is real super woke, not mainstream woke lol. They are deliberately triggering more racial divide. Of course, those truly in power want this and there is a strategic direction behind this madness I feel.

PSlayer

They probably felt that the character would steal the show in a robert downey jr/tony stark way. Specially because Liu kang has no personality.

It sucks tough because Johnny is my favorite character

j0hnnix

mr kombat GIF

Derp State at it again. Is this actually triggering "white extremists"? Johnny Cage sucks ass anyway

That is the narrative currently, and if you notice how the woke leftists so casually throw out the word "white" in a negative connotation after the recent attacks on the elderly and massage parlour, we can see how the emotions are fuelling the herds and causing more instability. It is hard to remedy these cultural divides overnight, just look at the Hong Kong riots, same shit.

Well, I was excited for this film. Thanks again Hollywood for confirming once again that LOTR was the last thing of value to ever spawn from that shit hole of a town. I mean, for fuck's sake you just said a white man cannot be included in a "diverse cast". Fuck off.

Edit, and from my extremely basic understanding of MK storyline, wasn't Liu Kang always the central hero? Johnny Cage was never more than comic relief.

Edit 2, wait, what about Kano then? I got the impression from the trailer that all the established characters were in support to the OC that the film will follow. Is Johnny Cage in the film or not? Is this whole interview just ginning up buzz through unforced controversy?

Last edited:

Outlier

What a brain dead reason. Not interested in the movie, if THAT'S the thought process behind excluding an iconic character. Johnny was never the main hero.

Besides. They could have made any of the characters the "main" hero, or focused on a group dynamic or created a new character, but no... They have to be anti-racist by being racist, for woke-go-broke points.

GOOD LUCK!

MrA

Well, I was excited for this film. Thanks again Hollywood for confirming once again that LOTR was the last thing of value to ever spawn from that shit hole of a town. I mean, for fuck's sake you just said a white man cannot be included in a "diverse cast". Fuck off.

Edit, and from my extremely basic understanding of MK storyline, wasn't Liu Kang always the central hero? Johnny Cage was never more than comic relief.

Edit 2, wait, what about Kano then? I got the impression from the trailer that all the established characters were in support to the OC that the film will follow. Is Johnny Cage in the film or not? Is this whole interview just ginning up buzz through unforced controversy?
let's quickly check out their mk 4 endings

one of those 2 definitely looks like the protagonist with a story-driving ending and the other an ending played for a laugh.
or you know they could do like the 1995 movie where the white guy was a supporting character to the Asian guy but apparently, Hollywood has determined 100% of their audience is stupid and that they've developed a total anathema to character growth and development, you know, the backbone of good characters

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Why is it that after Mortal Kombat 1, people suddenly had amnesia about who the hero is in MK? It's not Cage, it's not Jax, not Sonya, not Scorpion, not Sub-Zero. You know who it's always been.

tumblr_oyuzsfmfDZ1rmrpdmo2_400.gifv

The fan movies, Scorpion's revenge, and now this new movie keep acting like he isn't. He's literally handed to you on a platter as a Kung-Fu captain america doo-gooder hero archetype and instead you say 'Well I thought Johnny Cage was the protagonist so I shelved him' Why did you think that? Who told you to think that? Someone who's writers can't think of a good enough backstory for Liu Kang to make him interesting and like-able for the audience. It's not that hard is it?

Top Bottom