• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most Dinosaurs scaly new study says, T-rex, velociraptors still feathered though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bullshit article is bullshit.

Geez, let them work. This is how the process works, independent studies that eventually reach a consensus. This team is from the London Natural History Museum. They're legitimate and doing their best to figure things out objectively. Whether they're ultimately right or wrong, their contributions are valid and necessary.

It's not like they're paid-off climate change deniers or something.

PS
AeXsjyi.jpg

tumblr_m7y3ojU5Pa1rydouao1_250.gif

Geez, let them work. This is how the process works, independent studies that eventually reach a consensus. This team is from the London Natural History Museum. They're legitimate and doing their best to figure things out objectively. Whether they're ultimately right or wrong, their contributions are valid and necessary.

It's not like they're paid-off climate change deniers or something.

I understand, but the method used in this research is extremely flawed. A lot of important factors were left out, and really doesn't say much beyond what most paleontologists believe. All it managed to do is generate a click bait title for research based on very very very limited data.

I understand, but the method used in this research is extremely flawed. A lot of important factors were left out, and really doesn't say much beyond what most paleontologists believe. All it managed to do is generate a click bait title for research based on very very very limited data.

I reiterate: It's IFL Science. It's what they do.

Brachiosaurus is my favorite and a giant herbivore dino so I'm okay with this news. I refused to belief those big guys were stomping around with feathers.

Feathered T-rex that people seem to like:

Another thing to note is that this doesn't contradict the idea of "fat" dinosaurs or fleshy organs that wouldn't appear on fossils.

After all, here's what a cow would look like just based on the skeleton

Do you have more examples of these?
I am really interested in the possibilities of other dinosaur features not being reflected on fossil remains.

No, I'm talking about the actual research paper. IFL Science is reporting on that paper.

http://rsbl.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/11/6/20150229

Oh I feel you, I just have beef with websites that report on stuff like this. "Good clickbait here, Bob. Let's say it's scientific and make some money off it."

Well within their right to do it of course, I just don't much care for it being pushed. I'll leave the criticism of the research to people more qualified than I am.

I could deal with the Raptors, I could deal with feathered dinos in general...

But T-Rex? Come the fuck on, science?

Why you do this to me?!!

Do you have more examples of these?
I am really interested in the possibilities of other dinosaur features not being reflected on fossil remains.

That's all John Conway, an artist who tries to reimagine how dinosaurs looked and behaved. Those pics are from his book, All Yesterdays:

This guy did some of the illustrations, too, and has a cool tumblr:

PLO51F0.jpg

An elephant, a rhinoceros and a horse reconstructed with the mistakes we often see in reconstructions of dinosaurs and other extinct animals. From my book, All Yesterdays, Unique and Speculative Views of Dinosaurs and Other Prehistoric Animals.

tumblr_n145nagTgZ1tst46wo1_500.jpg

Scythe-armed swans, as imagined by clueless palaeontologists millions of years in the future. From All Yesterdays, my book with John Conway and Darren Naish.

Here's Conway's take on the domesticated cat, as incorrectly interpreted by future scientists:

I just can't accept a fully grown and feathered T-Rex. My mind can't do it. It's too wrong.

I can imagine hatchling Rex's covered in soft, fluffy down; and juveniles fully or partially feathered -- but a 14ft tall, 35ft long, multi-ton Tyrannosaurus Rex with 90% of its body covered in feathers? Nope. Doesn't compute. Unable to process.

I will only accept a fully grown and feathered T-Rex when I can look upon a perfect clone of one with my own eyes.

Good thing your opinion doesn't matter to anyone anywhere.

Shame we can never have accurate dinosaur movies as information continues to fluctuate. It's almost like we'll never know for sure!

PreFire

I mean, this:

is this:

And this:

Might LOOK like it should be this:

But is actually:

It's quite possible we are WAY off the mark in our recreations of dinos. There's only so much that bones can tell us.
I'd like to see this done with human skeletons.

I think artists are thinking these animals were all very lean. The hippo drawing is insane

Colin Trevorrow redeemed.

Well, I mean, the movie still looks pretty bad. But at least he can pat himself on the back for this one.

PSqueak

Banned

Applying this to a human skelleton would actually create a somewhat accurate human being, don't you think? I mean, Anthropology and all that.

Maybe that's part of the problem? It more or less makes sense for humans, but not for animals.

Joni

WE DID IT ADRIAN! WE DID IT! We beat the evil boxing champion/scientists wanting to take our bad-ass dino's away.

I think artists are thinking these animals were all very lean. The hippo drawing is insane

Yup. "Shrink-wrapping" skeletons seems to be the default method for artist recreations, and I guess it's the "safest" since we'll never really know what that tissue looked like.

Everyone wins!

Feathers for some. Miniature American flags for others!

Trevorrow wanted to do feathers. Spielberg did not.

Maaaaaan, I didn't know that :mad:

That's all John Conway, an artist who tries to reimagine how dinosaurs looked and behaved. Those pics are from his book, All Yesterdays:

Here's Conway's take on the domesticated cat, as incorrectly interpreted by future scientists:

I really hate these. Aside from how ridiculous some of them are - the cat is literally a bare skull, come on - they come across as pretty mean. They're mocking the hard work of dedicated scientists doing their best with the information they had. Remember, dinosaurs were supposed to be reptilian, and reptiles DO, in fact, look like the "shrink-wrapped" animals depicted in much dinosaur art. It was an incorrect premise that led to incorrect depictions.

So, paleontologists have realized they were wrong, as has happened many, many times before. That's how it works. It's no reason to mock.

By the way, that "sparrow" T-Rex is hilarious, and totally awesome. I now want a video game boss that looks just like that.

Joni

Except raptors and T-rexes, the two most people consider to be the most bad-ass.
That is for part 2. But, velociraptors are lame anyway. They're chicken size. They're not the cool Jurassic Park sort. And still no direct evidence for the T-Rex, only for species related to it.

Maaaaaan, I didn't know that :mad:

They talked about it but Steven was against it. Trevorrow then decided to consult the first novel for any possible source material justification which is probably why they brought Wu back as his character was about creating the dinosaurs for public show and that philosophy aligned with Steven's wish.

Again this stuff fluctuates so much. We can make scientific deductions but they're still deductions that can wind up obsolete at further discovery. What would have happened if Jurassic World's Dino's all had feathers then a week before the movie comes out, we find out otherwise.

This is probably why they chose to stick to the original films' design so that even if they're "wrong" there's nothing inherently evil about sticking to established continuity and in a situation like this, a better outcome.

I really hate these. Aside from how ridiculous some of them are - the cat is literally a bare skull, come on - they come across as pretty mean. They're mocking the hard work of dedicated scientists doing their best with the information they had. Remember, dinosaurs were supposed to be reptilian, and reptiles DO, in fact, look like the "shrink-wrapped" animals depicted in much dinosaur art. It was an incorrect premise that led to incorrect depictions.

So, paleontologists have realized they were wrong, as has happened many, many times before. That's how it works. It's no reason to mock.

By the way, that "sparrow" T-Rex is hilarious, and totally awesome. I now want a video game boss that looks just like that.

I think you're blowing the mocking aspect out of proportion. He jokingly mentions "clueless" paleontologists, but I think his point is saying that we don't really know how dinos/prehistoric animals looked and our recreations could be laughably bad. He even has some of his own drawings of how we'd still be interpreting dinos today if we thought they were reptiles:

tumblr_nnkcxmfgIE1tst46wo1_500.jpg

Pterosaurs were thought to be sluggish, cold-blooded lizard-like reptiles for a long time. We now know that they were much different, but what if the vintage view had actually been real? This is a purposefully wrong reconstruction of Pterodactylus with lizard-like features.

tumblr_nj5ffocsvF1tst46wo1_1280.png

Trying to imagine a version of Jurassic Park / World where the dinosaurs were actual theropod-frog hybrids, instead of scaleless dinosaurs stuck in the early 1990s. Here is the hybrid killer dinosaur Indominus, with its great-white-shark-sized, armoured tadpole. If the makers of the Jurassic Park series have thrown scientific accuracy out of the window, they may as well have some extra fun by going all the way with monster dinosaur/frog mash-ups that have all the monster-y superpowers of amphibians.

As for the "cat head is just a skull", there are plenty of dino recreations (particularly larger theropods) that look like the skin is just a miniscule layer over the bone.

Sooo, in other words this study presents no new information? Feathers are a known adaptation on the saurichian (mostly within the theropod family) side but other than some quills here and they were never really suspected on the Ornithischian side.

Where's that "oh look, it's nothing" .gif?

Well its not like there are dinosaurs running around today that we could use genetics and rational deduction on to extrapolate the probable appearances of extinct dinosaurs from... oh wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom