• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MotorStorm: Apocalypse |OT| Where the Rubber Meets the Road

test_account

XP-39C²
Blutonium said:
People, I need to know one thing before I buy this.

Can you turn off the camera zoom/pan + slomo when a structure is about to collapse. It looks fucking annoying.
Sort of. When most of these events come up you get a icon on the screen to push the triangle button. If you dont push this button, then it wont go into slomo or zoom. In online play there is no zoom or slowmo what so ever.

EDIT: Already answered :)

Blutonium

UnluckyKate said:
Wait, sure you can: don't press square and you don't get that zoom + slowmo thing...

But I've seen a lot of videos where that prompt doesn't show up. So can you turn of the prompt display?

*Edit* Ok thanks :) Will buy it soon then!

Blutonium said:
But I've seen a lot of videos where that prompt doesn't show up. So can you turn of the prompt display?

*Edit* Ok thanks :) Will buy it soon then!

These non-prompt events during the campaign are relatively rare and I think many of them are actually just there to make you aware of new/altered routes.
Also, they are not annoying :p

Gacha-pin

Thrakier said:
WTH? Sure you can. Just dno't press the button.

There are the non-prompt events which are going to slomo without pressing the button.
Like Solidus said, these events are rare though.

test_account

XP-39C²
Yeah, i totally forgot about those events, sorry. There are some slomo events that are triggered automatically in single player indeed.

There are 2 things that i sometimes dislike about this game, and that is when people try to ram you a lot and when someone crashes infront of you and you drive right into their vehicle. These things can be so annoying! It is not the game design's fault though, i just had to vent a bit hehe =)

BeeDog

test_account said:
Yeah, i totally forgot about those events, sorry. There are some slomo events that are triggered automatically in single player indeed.

There are 2 things that i sometimes dislike about this game, and that is when people try to ram you a lot and when someone crashes infront of you and you drive right into their vehicle. These things can be so annoying! It is not the game design's fault though, i just had to vent a bit hehe =)

I fucking hate that second part in multiplayer; some players are insanely retarded in that regard. They'll do ANYTHING to try and kill you, yet they often fail themselves and occasionally you crash right into their rear.

test_account

XP-39C²
BeeDog said:
I fucking hate that second part in multiplayer; some players are insanely retarded in that regard. They'll do ANYTHING to try and kill you, yet they often fail themselves and occasionally you crash right into their rear.
Yeah, that can be quite annoying indeed. I do however think that it is kinda funny when someone try to ram you and then they miss, causing them to crash into a wall or something hehe =)

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
BeeDog said:
The online ranks are so misleading; I regularly beat people 20-30 levels above me. But yeah, people are starting to learn all tracks, so just man up and keep practicing. :p

It's not that. I've earned my rank 34 with blood, sweat and tears but mostly neither. I've won a few and I've totally failed a few, all in all I'm a pretty uneven driver that's pretty worthless to bet against since I might just win the next race.

But, when you log into three seperate lobbies and all three of them are sporting some 70+ ranks that's winning with ease (except the one I totally owned) that's not as much fun as the first week of playing. I think it's just something I have to get used to, I'm afraid. Will be fun to get some american new blood I can kick the living shit out of, though.

BeeDog said:

I've done this a few times to unlock some part-challanges. Sure, I've failed alot but I've also wrecked alot. At the end it wasn't asmuch about winning as it was about griefing and getting rewarded for it.

I've got nothing much to add to the conversation other than I think it's fucking bullshit I'm still waiting for this game to drop. Fuck you, Sony.

test_account

XP-39C²
kinoki said:
I've done this a few times to unlock some part-challanges. Sure, I've failed alot but I've also wrecked alot. At the end it wasn't asmuch about winning as it was about griefing and getting rewarded for it.
Personally i'm not really annoyed at the people who does it because ramming is indeed a part of the game mechanics and you need to ram to do some of the part challenges as you mentioned. It is just that i sometimes find the ramming itself annoying :)

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
test_account said:
Personally i'm not really annoyed at the people who does it because ramming is indeed a part of the game mechanics and you need to ram to do some of the part challenges as you mentioned. It is just that i sometimes find the ramming itself annoying :)

I've found that as an action racer it's far more fun to fight a little. I've even managed to wreck a big rig as a bike and gotten credit for it. Learning how to deal with aggression and big rigs who aren't very mindfull of their fellow drivers is just as much as learning of how and when to drift. But unlike the latter it's one of those things that has to be reflex.

I wish that there was some way to turn up the rubberbanding for multiplayer so that the aggressive sides could really shine more. This is surely a thing for the mode-editor, I guess.

kinoki said:
I've found that as an action racer it's far more fun to fight a little. I've even managed to wreck a big rig as a bike and gotten credit for it. Learning how to deal with aggression and big rigs who aren't very mindfull of their fellow drivers is just as much as learning of how and when to drift. But unlike the latter it's one of those things that has to be reflex.

I wish that there was some way to turn up the rubberbanding for multiplayer so that the aggressive sides could really shine more. This is surely a thing for the mode-editor, I guess.
Does multiplayer have rubberbanding?

And completing the wrecking challenges are hilarious. I used to hate them, but going into a race intent on wrecking people rather than getting a good finishing position is a refreshing bit of fun compared to stressing over winning all the time.

Edit: since there's a pretty small community at the moment with America still waiting, I wouldn't mind racing a few Gaffers. PSN is in my profile for anyone who plays online a lot.

Stackboy

Finished the campaign on the weekend, lots of fun. Would recommend to anyone who is a fan of arcade racers.

Will stick around for a while for online games.

test_account

XP-39C²
Are some of the vehicles faster than the others? I sometimes have problems catching up to those infront of me, even with full boost.

I also changed perks back from Faster Tops Speed to Improved Accelaration since i noticed that Faster Top Speed isnt used when boosting, and i boost maybe 90% of all racing time.

kinoki said:

Sure, i do find it fun when i manage to wrek someone (which is quite rare since i always use bikes). It is more a type of annoyance like if one guy kills me several times in a row in a FPS, so i dont blame the game mechanincs or want raming to removed from the game :)

And thanks for the tip that it is possible to wreck bigger vechiles with bikes, i didnt know this, but i managed to do it today :) The raming seems to have little effect on moving the other vechiles though, but it is still possible ti wreck i noticed =)

Mechanical Snowman said:
Does multiplayer have rubberbanding?

And completing the wrecking challenges are hilarious. I used to hate them, but going into a race intent on wrecking people rather than getting a good finishing position is a refreshing bit of fun compared to stressing over winning all the time.

Edit: since there's a pretty small community at the moment with America still waiting, I wouldn't mind racing a few Gaffers. PSN is in my profile for anyone who plays online a lot.
No, no rubberbanding what so ever as far as i know. Which means that even a single crash can decide between winning or not.

kinoki

test_account said:
Are some of the vehicles faster than the others? I sometimes have problems catching up to those infront of me, even with full boost.

Yea, different vehicles drive at different speeds. But the terrain matters alot more, I think. Racing a big rig with my buggy was basicly taking turns in the lead position. I gained whenever there was sand/water and he gained on road.

test_account said:
I also changed perks back from Faster Tops Speed to Improved Accelaration since i noticed that Faster Top Speed isnt used when boosting, and i boost maybe 90% of all racing time.

Faster Top Speed is useless, from what I've learned. The few times I've used it in a race I've never been able to take full advantage of it, where-as acceleration comes into play alot of the times. Quite frequently if you're unlucky with obstacles.

test_account said:
And thanks for the tip that it is possible to wreck bigger vechiles with bikes, i didnt know this, but i managed to do it today :) The raming seems to have little effect on moving the other vechiles though, but it is still possible ti wreck i noticed =)

Using the Heavy Weight perk does give bikes a bit more bang for their buck but not alot. I've used it by mistake and I was quite happy with it.

test_account said:
No, no rubberbanding what so ever as far as i know. Which means that even a single crash can decide between winning or not.

Yea, no rubberbanding. But I want it. I'm perfectly fine with it and would want to see a few gameplay modes that take advantage of the unique gameplay features it would offer. Also a wreck mode would have to be divided into weight class.

test_account

XP-39C²
Also, what is the best way to get most speed when there are no water or jumps for cooldown? Is it best to keep boosting all the time and stay in "critical" or wait for the boost to go down first before boosting again? I think that it was mentioned in one of the cut scenes in single player that it was best to wait for the boost to go down, but does anyone know for sure?

kinoki said:
Yea, different vehicles drive at different speeds. But the terrain matters alot more, I think. Racing a big rig with my buggy was basicly taking turns in the lead position. I gained whenever there was sand/water and he gained on road.
Ah ok, i see.

kinoki said:
Faster Top Speed is useless, from what I've learned. The few times I've used it in a race I've never been able to take full advantage of it, where-as acceleration comes into play alot of the times. Quite frequently if you're unlucky with obstacles.
Yeah, i first thought that the Top Speed perk was also used when boosting, but i noticed recently that it didnt.

Indeed, i noticed that Increased Acceleration is especially useful when coming out of a drift or breaking, and also when the race starts of course :)

kinoki said:
Using the Heavy Weight perk does give bikes a bit more bang for their buck but not alot. I've used it by mistake and I was quite happy with it.
Oh ok, maybe i will tryo that perk some time =) For now i use the Armor perk (or what is is called) where rams are less efficiant against me.

kinoki said:
Yea, no rubberbanding. But I want it. I'm perfectly fine with it and would want to see a few gameplay modes that take advantage of the unique gameplay features it would offer. Also a wreck mode would have to be divided into weight class.
I think i prefer no rubberband instead since it is more fair. However, it can kinda suck if i crash a few times, knowing that i have almost no chance of catching up to 1st place.

BeeDog

EU people (GMT/GMT+1) can add me if you wish to play MS:A (PSN nick is my GAF handle), though I'm very on/off with gaming this week. Please add if you're from GAF :)

BeeDog

Sorry for two posts in a row, but the EU store update brought along a couple of new Apocalypse-themed vehicles, and the soundtrack(!) (seems it's complete).

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Just saw the IGN review. The game looks like a real fun arcade racer!

I know the game says there's over 40 unique races, but I'm sure that doesn't mean the number of tracks.

How many areas or tracks does this have? Should I expect the same amount as Pacific Rift?

9 Areas, 33 variants i think. Some are like day and night variants and also after some destruction, incident, etc. stuff like that. Those are what i see on quick race. Don't think that Festival unlocks more variants or anything. There are also Special Events that you unlock as you play through Festival mode. You know in PR, nearly every track feels unique, in this one not all the variants do. The problem for me is, the game doesn't feel polished as much as PR. I feel like either their budget was not up to task or Sony pushed them to deliver this one early.

Ashes1396 said:
is this out in the uk or not?

Yes, it is out in the UK.

It

I would have bought this game if it came out on time lol, but now my mindset is different and I guess that I'm not dying to play it anymore.

Oh well, enjoy!

test_account

XP-39C²
I just checked the Gametrailers.com review and they said:

"The glue holding the world together doesn't give in to quakes and storms online, though, so the tracks don't change. It's a jarring move toward the tame."

How could they do such a mistake? There are many tracks online that have quakes etc., just like it is in single player. Are there any tracks online that are different from single player by the way when it comes to the effects?

ssolitare said:
I would have bought this game if it came out on time lol, but now my mindset is different and I guess that I'm not dying to play it anymore.

Oh well, enjoy!
I know that feeling, but if you like arcade racers like Motorstorm, i would say that you would be missing out on something fun, so i would still recommend the game :)

Shearie

ssolitare said:

Oh well, enjoy!

The delay has done nothing to dull my excitement for this game. Only over a week now until I'll finally be able to play this.

kinoki

test_account said:

"The glue holding the world together doesn't give in to quakes and storms online, though, so the tracks don't change. It's a jarring move toward the tame."

How could they do such a mistake? There are many tracks online that have quakes etc., just like it is in single player. Are there any tracks online that are different from single player by the way when it comes to the effects?

My only guess would be that he isn't very good at the online and since they only happen when the 1st place activate them he might have missed their glory, or that he spent so little time online that he only played levels with little-to-no change.

BeeDog

test_account said:

I know that feeling, but if you like arcade racers like Motorstorm, i would say that you would be missing out on something fun, so i would still recommend the game :)

There are no proper differences between SP and MP, but there are some minor things:

1) Environmental changes are more randomized; I'm pretty sure some things weren't activated during certain runs of the map in MP.
2) You can't slow-mo focus on events, and thus they're easier to miss.
3) They get activated by the first player in the race, so obviously it's easier to miss shit (though the quakes accompanying the destruction events are hard to miss).

Shaka

The only way to unlock vehicles is to get points online? Ahhh why the fuck did I rush to buy this game, it's so shit if true. Could someone clear this up for me?

test_account

XP-39C²
kinoki said:
My only guess would be that he isn't very good at the online and since they only happen when the 1st place activate them he might have missed their glory, or that he spent so little time online that he only played levels with little-to-no change.
BeeDog said:
There are no proper differences between SP and MP, but there are some minor things:

1) Environmental changes are more randomized; I'm pretty sure some things weren't activated during certain runs of the map in MP.
2) You can't slow-mo focus on events, and thus they're easier to miss.
3) They get activated by the first player in the race, so obviously it's easier to miss shit (though the quakes accompanying the destruction events are hard to miss).
Yeah, this is probably why indeed. I guess it is mostly because the changes only happeneds to first player in the race. If the reviewer(s) is new to the game and dont know the tracks that well, it is almost impossible to be in the lead. And yeah, some of the changes arent major changes to the track either, and therefor harder to miss if you dont see the change happened yourself, that is true.

Shaka said:
The only way to unlock vehicles is to get points online? Ahhh why the fuck did I rush to buy this game, it's so shit if true. Could someone clear this up for me?
Unfortunately yes. Unlocking new vehicles are based on 4 types of challenges: Air Time, Drifting, Opponents Beaten and Opponents Wrecked. These challenges only register when you play online. On the positive side though, you do have access to every vehicle class from the start.

Blutonium

Got the game in the mail yesterday, I'm enjoying it a lot - the motion comics suck though.

Some of the sports cars have real tight steering, almost Burnout-like, which is a good thing. I just completed Rookie class which was enjoyable. I hope the next class has a bit more destruction though.

I'm just getting to the end of the second tier of single player and I'm torn. On one hand the tracks are getting batshit insane and are a joy to drive through, but the AI seems to be getting even more aggressive and every crash I have is become some dick just rams straight into me.

Wish the AI was toned back quite a bit.

Shaka

test_account said:
Yeah, this is probably why indeed. I guess it is mostly because the changes only happeneds to first player in the race. If the reviewer(s) is new to the game and dont know the tracks that well, it is almost impossible to be in the lead. And yeah, some of the changes arent major changes to the track either, and therefor harder to miss if you dont see the change happened yourself, that is true.

Unfortunately yes. Unlocking new vehicles are based on 4 types of challenges: Air Time, Drifting, Opponents Beaten and Opponents Wrecked. These challenges only register when you play online. On the positive side though, you do have access to every vehicle class from the start.
Oh well, guess I'm not gonna touch this game again.

Shurs

Arrived at work this morning to find a review copy of Motorstorm: Apocalypse waiting for me.

I'll be posting impressions and HD videos this weekend.

test_account

XP-39C²
Shaka said:
Oh well, guess I'm not gonna touch this game again.
Just out of curiousity, why dont you want to play online? That is one of the most fun part of the game in my opinion :) And the unlocks are just cosmetical differences as far as i know. That can be nice to have of course, but at least all vehicle types are available without unlocking anything =)

Shaka

test_account said:
Just out of curiousity, why dont you want to play online? That is one of the most fun part of the game in my opinion :) And the unlocks are just cosmetical differences as far as i know. That can be nice to have of course, but at least all vehicle types are available without unlocking anything =)
I'm just not that into online gaming. It's a fantastic game and I'll definitely get back into it but not being able to use and customise all the vehicles is very disappointing for me.

test_account

XP-39C²
Shaka said:
I'm just not that into online gaming. It's a fantastic game and I'll definitely get back into it but not being able to use and customise all the vehicles is very disappointing for me.
I understand. It is possible to do some customization to all of the vehicles without unlocking anything by the way, but it is of course much more limited compared to if you have unlocked everything. Maybe it will be patched later on so that unlocking parts also works in Quick Race mode, or perhaps Sony will release some pack on the PS Store that allows you to unlock everything at once, like EA has done with some games (i dont think that the PS Store stuff will happened though, but who knows).

I'm nearly at the end of the last tier of single player now and although it feels a bit short, I'm really appreciating the variation in the tracks and the huge events that change them.

I was dubious this would be more fun that PR but I think it is.

Ashes

Banned
valentine71 said:
9 Areas, 33 variants i think. Some are like day and night variants and also after some destruction, incident, etc. stuff like that. Those are what i see on quick race. Don't think that Festival unlocks more variants or anything. There are also Special Events that you unlock as you play through Festival mode. You know in PR, nearly every track feels unique, in this one not all the variants do. The problem for me is, the game doesn't feel polished as much as PR. I feel like either their budget was not up to task or Sony pushed them to deliver this one early.

Yes, it is out in the UK.

It

Thank you. Thank you. thank you. Thank you.

Finished it. Awesome game.

I never bothered playing the first game after I played PR first but I kinda want to keep this rush going. Is it worth going back to it or is it too dated now? I would be renting, not buying.

Shurs

Foliorum Viridum said:
Finished it. Awesome game.

I never bothered playing the first game after I played PR first but I kinda want to keep this rush going. Is it worth going back to it or is it too dated now? I would be renting, not buying.

How much you enjoy Motorstorm will depend heavily on your tolerance for long load times.

BPK

Are the cars less forgiving in terms of handling than the ones in the demo? I've asked this a few times and received varied responses. I'd like to get this game, but the supercar and superbike in the demo feel like they're on rails...it's so easy to turn it's almost robotic. This is in contrast to previous motorstorms where the handling was a (rewarding) struggle.

Finally sat down to watch Gametrailers review, the game looks godly awesome. I cant wait for it, though I feel I will be one of the few constatly restarting races for the 15th+ times like the reviewer.

BPK said:
Are the cars less forgiving in terms of handling than the ones in the demo? I've asked this a few times and received varied responses. I'd like to get this game, but the supercar and superbike in the demo feel like they're on rails...it's so easy to turn it's almost robotic. This is in contrast to previous motorstorms where the handling was a (rewarding) struggle.
It depends on what vehicle class you are driving. Muscle cars and Rally cars don't handle as well as Supercars and Superminis and are more inclined to go into a drift if you turn sharply; making the car more difficult to control in the corners.

I've never actually driven a Monster or a Big rig despite being 80% through the story and rank 25 in multiplayer, so I can't speak for them.

In comparison to Pacific Rift, the cars are more responsive. They turn more sharply and feel more controlled in the air, it's not as 'floaty' as Pacific Rift but does feel more arcady like, say the Midnight Club. I think they had to do it like that because of the speed and complexity of some of the tracks, for example the End of the Line track and its alternatives. There's no way you'd be able to navigate the subway areas without the ability to turn as fast as you can.

So, I guess to summarise, all the cars are more forgiving than their Pacific Rift counterparts (you'll probably be thankful for this in certain maps), but individually they vary quite a lot in terms of handling and acceleration.

Top Bottom