• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Watched Lately |OT| - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

NahaNago

This was one of the first anime I ever watched. I ended up not liking it
Yeah, the same for me as well. Going from watching princess mononoke, tenchi muyo, and I think ranma 1/2 to akira didn't quite work out at the time. I did enjoy it more once I saw it again many years later though. I still feel sorry for the girl that got absorbed.

"One Day, You Will Reach the Sea" (2022, Nakagawa Ryutaro)

XoJd2Ok.jpg

Yesterday I watched this movie, feels like I as a victim of "bait" of the poster and trailer.
It tries to be three movies at once and fails at the three attempts, don't recommend.

Coincidence, today I watched "And so the Baton Is Passed" (2021, Maeda Tetsu)

v29qdYc.jpg

There are similarities in the structure. Both use flashbacks for a good lot of character development (this one uses it a lot more, it's uses more well thought instead of "poor writing"), both are a bit about multiple points of view and how one character fails to really understand the other. However the biggest difference between the two is that Baton is actually a good movie that knows very well what history it wants to tell. It's more emotional and tearjerker but it's much more satisfying because of this honesty (and most of the "cry scenes" you only identify in retrospect).
Family movie to clean the tear ducts, highly recommended, a good surprise.

watched Akira last night for the first time. saw it up on Netflix and i've heard how great it is. i like the cyberpunk setting and i suppose it was kinda cool but quite creepy. not sure what the little wrinkly kids are all about. started to lose interest towards the end of it. was some cool scenes and the soundtrack was good.
This was one of the first anime I ever watched. I ended up not liking it

Have in mind that everyone takes about how INFLUENTIAL Akira was, not how it was a masterpiece.
For what I know the movie ends where the story should start to really get interesting, so it's just a "promotional work" for the manga.
Personally I wish Akira was really as influential as people claim, the technical side is flawless and deserves all the praise. It does things a bit differently (specially for the time), like recording the voices before animation and them lip syncing, an 24fps.

"One Day, You Will Reach the Sea" (2022, Nakagawa Ryutaro)

XoJd2Ok.jpg

Yesterday I watched this movie, feels like I as a victim of "bait" of the poster and trailer.
It tries to be three movies at once and fails at the three attempts, don't recommend.

Coincidence, today I watched "And so the Baton Is Passed" (2021, Maeda Tetsu)

v29qdYc.jpg

There are similarities in the structure. Both use flashbacks for a good lot of character development (this one uses it a lot more, it's uses more well thought instead of "poor writing"), both are a bit about multiple points of view and how one character fails to really understand the other. However the biggest difference between the two is that Baton is actually a good movie that knows very well what history it wants to tell. It's more emotional and tearjerker but it's much more satisfying because of this honesty (and most of the "cry scenes" you only identify in retrospect).
Family movie to clean the tear ducts, highly recommended, a good surprise.

Have in mind that everyone takes about how INFLUENTIAL Akira was, not how it was a masterpiece.
For what I know the movie ends where the story should start to really get interesting, so it's just a "promotional work" for the manga.
Personally I wish Akira was really as influential as people claim, the technical side is flawless and deserves all the praise. It does things a bit differently (specially for the time), like recording the voices before animation and them lip syncing, an 24fps.
Well it did make me interested in reading the manga

Jaybe

The Northman

Watched this last night and was highly impressed because despite the critical reception at least my expectations were in check.

A great revenge story, well shot, beautifully scenic, gruesome.

That nose guy’s death was like “damn”. Also Kidman’s reveal on her motivation made it more interesting, challenging what the protagonist believed.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

So....I entered this thread with a pretty consistent stream of movies, because the truth is, I watch a shitton of movies. Maybe 1000+ in a year. But I've been absent recently, and not because I haven't been watching at the same rabid pace. I just haven't felt like posting about much of anything anywhere. I'm in a bit of a hermit phase. But I thought I'd share a few important views for me recently:

Dune
I don't know specifically why, but this might be my favorite film ever. I am drawn to this film, like a moth to a flame. I think it does just about everything amazingly well. The script is the best possible adaptation of what I know about the novels. The cinematography is sublime. It looks so fucking perfect. This film will age so goddamn well. We'll look back at it in 20 years, with the same adoration we hold some of the best practical effect of the 90s. It's such a visual masterpiece. It's only bested by the haunting soundtrack. OMFG! I literally have the shit paused right now, as I guiltily sneak in my Nth viewing as my wife sleeps. This is the film I needed this year.

The Northman
Thank you GAF stans of this film. It's amazing. I didn't watch The Witch, and I half-watched The Lighthouse, because I realized it was a copy of the 2016 film of the same name that I'd watched back in 2018. This was a great film. It might have missed the mark for me, like Lighthouse, as I too think it was a bit incomplete in its presentation. I kinda felt the same way about Revenant too, although for different reasons. In any case, I think it struck a nice chord with me in the 2020s that a classic like Braveheart couldn't. I felt the same kind of way about both, while watching them for the first times, but I don't think the bloodbath that was Braveheart would have resonated with me like Northman did today. Probably because the Braveheart story has been retread to death now, while Northman remains somehow fresh by sticking to a really basic but identifiable revenge plot: avenge father, save mother, kill Fjolnir. I can get behind that, especially when they're the desperate chant of a young boy, who'd just had his whole world shattered. I wanted the fulfillment of that goal just as much as he did, and I think the director did a perfect job of indoctrinating us as the viewer, from the very start. Man, I love how well the casting of a doofy teen as the young protag worked by the end of the arc. I hated it at first, but fuck if I wasn't onboard as he rowed off into the distance. A sequel will destroy the significance of this film. Yet, I'm totally on board..

Go
WTF am I talking about? WTF is a Go?

That is Go! 1999's best film for me. I randomly popped this one into the playlist a couple of weeks ago, because I remember loving this film, and wanted to see if it still hit. FUCK YEAH IT DID! Timothy Oliphant, Sarah Polley, Katie Holmes (who somehow commanded top billing back then), William Fichtner, Taye Diggs, Jay Mohr, Scott Wolf, and Breckin Meyers. It was a cast of low-key, about-to-breakout stars, most of whom never quite hit the heights that you originally thought. A random plan to get some rolls for a weekend rave, and then having shit totally spiral out of control, was a little bit too near and dear to my heart back in those days. I was nearing the end of my uni run. Ecstasy was definitely big on the party scene, and the random cross-state road trips were totally a thing. Everything about this movie still slaps for me. It's one of the best pulp films in the composition of the events from the different POVs. It's so fucking underrated in that department. Major kudos go to the editors on that, as that's purely constructed by their hands, even if there's a script to it. The acting by this rag-tag cast is so fucking on-point, I love it. They cover a wide range of personalities, without coming off as fake. We had every one of these dudes in our crew, especially the reckless Simon, who gets everything popping off. The music also slaps in this film. 23 years later, and I still found the soundtrack worked for this film. If you slept on this film before, give it a watch now. It is hands-down, one of the best films of its type. I hesitate to just define it as a pulp film, for its out-of-sequence story telling. The truth it, it tells the story in sequence, but it fills in the full picture via multiple retellings from multiple POVs, and they're all unique and interesting retellings. This is one of the most underrated films of my time. I'm not talking about review scores, but rather the number of people who didn't get a chance to see it.

So....I entered this thread with a pretty consistent stream of movies, because the truth is, I watch a shitton of movies. Maybe 1000+ in a year. But I've been absent recently, and not because I haven't been watching at the same rabid pace. I just haven't felt like posting about much of anything anywhere. I'm in a bit of a hermit phase. But I thought I'd share a few important views for me recently:

Dune
I don't know specifically why, but this might be my favorite film ever. I am drawn to this film, like a moth to a flame. I think it does just about everything amazingly well. The script is the best possible adaptation of what I know about the novels. The cinematography is sublime. It looks so fucking perfect. This film will age so goddamn well. We'll look back at it in 20 years, with the same adoration we hold some of the best practical effect of the 90s. It's such a visual masterpiece. It's only bested by the haunting soundtrack. OMFG! I literally have the shit paused right now, as I guiltily sneak in my Nth viewing as my wife sleeps. This is the film I needed this year.

The Northman
Thank you GAF stans of this film. It's amazing. I didn't watch The Witch, and I half-watched The Lighthouse, because I realized it was a copy of the 2016 film of the same name that I'd watched back in 2018. This was a great film. It might have missed the mark for me, like Lighthouse, as I too think it was a bit incomplete in its presentation. I kinda felt the same way about Revenant too, although for different reasons. In any case, I think it struck a nice chord with me in the 2020s that a classic like Braveheart couldn't. I felt the same kind of way about both, while watching them for the first times, but I don't think the bloodbath that was Braveheart would have resonated with me like Northman did today. Probably because the Braveheart story has been retread to death now, while Northman remains somehow fresh by sticking to a really basic but identifiable revenge plot: avenge father, save mother, kill Fjolnir. I can get behind that, especially when they're the desperate chant of a young boy, who'd just had his whole world shattered. I wanted the fulfillment of that goal just as much as he did, and I think the director did a perfect job of indoctrinating us as the viewer, from the very start. Man, I love how well the casting of a doofy teen as the young protag worked by the end of the arc. I hated it at first, but fuck if I wasn't onboard as he rowed off into the distance. A sequel will destroy the significance of this film. Yet, I'm totally on board..

Go
WTF am I talking about? WTF is a Go?

That is Go! 1999's best film for me. I randomly popped this one into the playlist a couple of weeks ago, because I remember loving this film, and wanted to see if it still hit. FUCK YEAH IT DID! Timothy Oliphant, Sarah Polley, Katie Holmes (who somehow commanded top billing back then), William Fichtner, Taye Diggs, Jay Mohr, Scott Wolf, and Breckin Meyers. It was a cast of low-key, about-to-breakout stars, most of whom never quite hit the heights that you originally thought. A random plan to get some rolls for a weekend rave, and then having shit totally spiral out of control, was a little bit too near and dear to my heart back in those days. I was nearing the end of my uni run. Ecstasy was definitely big on the party scene, and the random cross-state road trips were totally a thing. Everything about this movie still slaps for me. It's one of the best pulp films in the composition of the events from the different POVs. It's so fucking underrated in that department. Major kudos go to the editors on that, as that's purely constructed by their hands, even if there's a script to it. The acting by this rag-tag cast is so fucking on-point, I love it. They cover a wide range of personalities, without coming off as fake. We had every one of these dudes in our crew, especially the reckless Simon, who gets everything popping off. The music also slaps in this film. 23 years later, and I still found the soundtrack worked for this film. If you slept on this film before, give it a watch now. It is hands-down, one of the best films of its type. I hesitate to just define it as a pulp film, for its out-of-sequence story telling. The truth it, it tells the story in sequence, but it fills in the full picture via multiple retellings from multiple POVs, and they're all unique and interesting retellings. This is one of the most underrated films of my time. I'm not talking about review scores, but rather the number of people who didn't get a chance to see it.

Dune and The Green Knight were my 2 top favorites of 2021.

The Northman is fantastic. But I hope Eggers goes back to horror for his next film

sedg87

Banned
The Vampire Doll
Japanese horror from 1970. Twas very good. I've grown tired of most western horror films these days so I've turned to Japan to see what they have to offer. I haven't seen many but I've enjoyed each and every one. I've watched the following: Tag, Audition, Ringu, Parasyte (live action take on the Parasyte Maxim anime), and House.
UPEpEO3.jpg

MastaKiiLA

Dune and The Green Knight were my 2 top favorites of 2021.

The Northman is fantastic. But I hope Eggers goes back to horror for his next film
Green Knight missed me, unfortunately. I wanted to like it, so I gave it a really strong chance. But it just never landed with me. That said, my second favorite film of the past year might be Boss Level.

Anyway, I think I have to watch The Witch now, and maybe give Egger's version of The Lighthouse a proper watch, without bias.

Kenpachii

Yea found green knight also kinda shit.

Anyway, watched some movies lately:

- Fantastic Beasts the secret of dumbledore, pretty solid movie 6/10, just nothing special.
- The lost city 4/10, just not that good
- Silver lining playbook 9/10 really good movie
- The tommorow war, 7/10 enjoyable, also nice soundtrack.
- Vallhalla Rising, 6/10 u need to like it, its a weird movie
- Morbius 8/10 liked it, would watch the second one.
- Shutter island, 8/10 solid movie if you never watched it before do it. If you already watched it, u know the ending = no reason to ever watch it again.
- Bad teacher, 7/10 had fun with it, nice sunday movie
- Click, movie strikes really hard and well done, 9/10
- Wanderlust, dumb fun rom com movie, 6/10
- Moonfall, 6/10 was fun to watch on a sunday, story isn't that good 6/10.
- The matrix ressurections, 1/10 absolute dog shit of a movie.
- Eternals 4/10 simple not that good, slow and boring, if you got nothing else to watch go for it.
- Just married, fun movie but that's about it 6/10
- no time to die ( bond ), 7/10 not really good, but also not bad.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The Northman

I love how Eggers treated the mythological elements as if they were completely normal, without making it feel at all like a fantasy movie or highlighting them in a cinematographic sense - aside from one part, when Odin appears (the first valkyrie dream sequence excused). I saw a crow land and begin gnawing on his binds. Then a second. I thought "Holy crap, those are Odin's two ravens!". Then more appeared, so I changed my mind and figured well they're just scavengers trying to eat him. But no - suddenly boom: it is actually Odin, so he is the one who is sending these visions to him because for some reason this guy's lineage is destined to climb the World Tree higher and sprout two kings amongst its leaves.

Also that final battle at the gates of Hel: when the viewer sees that his uncle chopped his horse's head off at the entrance, informing the viewer that this is THE epic battle. Neither of them intend on leaving here alive and neither should they.

Kamikaze Girls (2004 Nakashima Tetsuya)

0AyO8c1.jpg

After 16 years I finally watched and what a fucking blast this movie was!
During the first 15 minutes I was skeptical, but I just fell in love with Momo and Ichika, I love those too so much!
Now I'm a bit apprehensive, I know that Memories of Matsuko exists and I'm afraid of going to watch that movie and not enjoying it as much and end unintentionally disappointed.

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Mandibules - latest Quentin Dupieux / Mr Oizo movie is rather lightweight and even more low budget that his usual outings, but it's short, quirky, surreal and sometimes hilarious. Was expecting a kick ass soundtrack but it features none of his music. I love the washed out look of his films tho.

R.935694d853f7f88f26ec2ee0774e5d67

The Northman - I loved everything about The VVitch, thought The Lighthouse was pretty interesting, story wise but also the art direction and overall style, but this was disappointing, movie looked like some HBO television series, story was pretty weak, dialogues felt forced and unnatural in a bad way.

Last edited:

Fbh

Watched Everything Everywhere All At Once 10/10

wallpapersden.com_official-everything-everywhere-all-at-once-hd_2828x1591-scaled.jpg

This was amazing. It's not going to be for everyone as it's campy and silly but it's also a relatable story of family and dealing with a sense of dissatisfaction with the way our life turned out and lingering on missed opportunities. It has a ton of heart and it's extremely creative and inventive in how it uses the premise. The cast is fantastic too, Michelle Yeoh gives an amazing performance and is supported by a really strong supporting cast including Ke Huy Quan and Jamie Lee Curtis in some of their best roles in years.

sol_bad

After Yang - cinema
Interesting film and I liked Colin Ferrell in it. I was really expecting another Ex-Machina type film but it definitely wasn't and I am happy it defied my expectations. I think some people hated it due to them not getting what they expected. It's a simple film that deals with loss and memories..

Everything, Everywhere, All at Once - cinema

A very crazy film that I really enjoyed. The martial arts wasn't quite as good as I was hoping. The second half of the film is far better than the first half, very very emotional. The cinema laughed at the rock scenes.

The Northman - cinema

Very very pleasing visually, another good film. Although I was disappointed that it wasn't as violent as it could have been.

Doctor Strange: Multiverse of Madness - cinema

Fucking loved it of course, not top tier MCU though, it's sits under Infinity War, Endgame and No Way Home for me. The complaints about the villain being the villain boggle my mind as it all makes sense and the script clearly points out everything it needs to.

Father Stu - cinema

Pretty boring film unfortunately, I enjoyed the first half and then hated the second half. Mark Wahlberg can't cry.

Evil Dead 1 and 2 - Prime

I wanted to show my wife these movies before we saw the new Doctor Strange film. Looked for my blu ray of the first film but couldn't find it and freaked out, so ended up renting them on Prime. And to be honest, I don't enjoy them that much anymore. I mean, the technical abilities of Sam Raimi are great and the slapstick comedy of Ash in the 2nd film makes me laugh but as a whole they are quite average these days. I prefer the remake more and enjoy Drag Me to Hell a lot more now as well.

Bubble - Netflix

Average anime that doesn't explain anything and makes no sense.

The Bubble - Netflix

Entertaining and funny Judd Apatow film. Clearly not his best but still enjoyable.

The Adam Project - Netflix

Majority of this film was fun but the final act felt like it really dragged the film down.

Kong: Skull Island - Netflix

Still lots of fun but the audio quality on Netflix was beyond shit.

Amerikan

Banned
Anime: Made in Abyss 3
Horror: Unsane, Honeymoon, We Are Still Here, Vast of Night, and a dozen more.

Last edited:
After Yang - cinema
Interesting film and I liked Colin Ferrell in it. I was really expecting another Ex-Machina type film but it definitely wasn't and I am happy it defied my expectations. I think some people hated it due to them not getting what they expected. It's a simple film that deals with loss and memories..

Everything, Everywhere, All at Once - cinema
A very crazy film that I really enjoyed. The martial arts wasn't quite as good as I was hoping. The second half of the film is far better than the first half, very very emotional. The cinema laughed at the rock scenes.

The Northman - cinema
Very very pleasing visually, another good film. Although I was disappointed that it wasn't as violent as it could have been.

Doctor Strange: Multiverse of Madness - cinema
Fucking loved it of course, not top tier MCU though, it's sits under Infinity War, Endgame and No Way Home for me. The complaints about the villain being the villain boggle my mind as it all makes sense and the script clearly points out everything it needs to.

Father Stu - cinema
Pretty boring film unfortunately, I enjoyed the first half and then hated the second half. Mark Wahlberg can't cry.

Evil Dead 1 and 2 - Prime
I wanted to show my wife these movies before we saw the new Doctor Strange film. Looked for my blu ray of the first film but couldn't find it and freaked out, so ended up renting them on Prime. And to be honest, I don't enjoy them that much anymore. I mean, the technical abilities of Sam Raimi are great and the slapstick comedy of Ash in the 2nd film makes me laugh but as a whole they are quite average these days. I prefer the remake more and enjoy Drag Me to Hell a lot more now as well.

Bubble - Netflix
Average anime that doesn't explain anything and makes no sense.

The Bubble - Netflix
Entertaining and funny Judd Apatow film. Clearly not his best but still enjoyable.

The Adam Project - Netflix
Majority of this film was fun but the final act felt like it really dragged the film down.

Kong: Skull Island - Netflix
Still lots of fun but the audio quality on Netflix was beyond shit.
Everything, Everywhere, All at Once

Found this too random and didn't find it funny. I did enjoy the martial arts scenes though.

The Northman

LOVED IT

Doctor Strange In The Multiverse of Madness

Best film in a disappointing Phase 4. Loved it

Evil Dead 1 and 2

I recently watched these 2 films and found them to be boring slogs.

The Adam Project

Entertaining film but forgettable

Kong Skull Island

Favorite movie in the Godzillaverse. Loved the action set pieces and Samuel L Jackson was a great antagonist.

Anime: Made in Abyss 3
Horror: Unsane, Honeymoon, We Are Still Here, Vast of Night, and a dozen more.

Made of Abyss 3 is a great movie. I'm up to date on the manga. Can't wait for season 2

NahaNago

So I ended up watching leprechaun 4 today and Ridiculous 6.

Leprechaun 4 was in space and was just meh. I thought the leprechaun would be a bit more scarier but it was mostly just a corny sci-fi film.

For Ridiculous 6 I just love this movie. I love the goofiness of the characters and the movie had so many cameos. I wish it had a sequel but it may be too expensive.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
L9z7LMo.gif

★☆☆☆☆ / This art piece being created was more important for the fate of humanity than discovering fire

I have a feeling they tried to ape Toby McGuire's majestic emo sequences from Spider-Man 3. But the entire movie (Morb) is so stupid I don't even care. Do whatever. It's Morbin' Time!

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Matt Smith has been in a lot of shit since Doctor Who hasn't he?

I watched Breaking Away recently. I was told it was a favorite of my father's back in the day... it's not great. If you want to watch a good movie based on cycling watch American Flyers.

jonnyp

The Northman - basically Hamlet and unoriginal in pretty much every way. It was ok but really don't understand the love for this one at all.

Last edited:

Bombolone

Gold Member
Finished watching Dr.Strange Multiverse

If it werent for the last half (last third) of the movie it would of been a stinker (2/5).
The MCU gets in the way of Sam Raimi, but when he gets to be Sam Raimi, its fuckin awesome. Zany, creepy, practical makeup... Horror. Great stuff.

Boring dialogue, flat acting.
Yeah MCU aint for me. I fell off after Infinity War. Havent seen Endgame or anything since.
The first Dr.Strange is my favourite from the first bunch, so I gave this a watch.
I am in a bit of shock-- legit did not expect to be so bored by it.
The film is more a product than anything else.

3/5 Sam Raimis out of Sam Raimis. He did what he could.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
The Conjuring 3. Terrible from the start. Confusing script I think. We both fell asleep after half an hour or so. Who writes this below mediocre bullshit. Respect for the actors having a fat check on their mind when al is done

Mrballen on YT has better horror esque stories than a Movie costing a couple mil

The devil made me do it..

Shit's makes me angry

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Bill & Ted face the music - More trash… who the hell approves this kinda movies to be made? Was really hard to get through.

I also watched the original a few days ago and that one has actually aged quite well because it was the bloody 80s and the main actors were still young. Doing the same shit with old mains is just cringy as hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom