• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Watched Lately |OT| - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I saw Dr. Strange!

The film was great. I have a feeling a number of folks will outright dismiss it and hate it simply for the fact that America Chavez has
two mothers
, but I hope I am wrong about that.

The movie is a Raimi film through and through. From the
light hearted banter between Chavez, Strange, and others, to the brutal and violent deaths that are seen quite often. Exploding heads, ripped to literal shreds, neck snapping, literal zombies!
. This is easily the best MCU film in a long while and it makes me less frustrated/disappointed with the direction WandaVision took as it was a clear set up for her role in this film. Still, its a Dr. Strange movie first and foremost and he has the lion's share of attention, as he should. There is clear character growth for him and his relationship with Wong and others. When he was first introduced, he felt almost like just another Iron Man to me, but now? I think he may be one of my favorite characters.

I will say, I was disappointed that
there was no confirmation of mutants in the original universe or teasing of Kang the Conquerer. Even in the very last end credits scene of him mentioning rifts in the multiverse. Is there any confirmation on *when* we will see him first appear? I thought I remember someone saying it was supposed to be this film. Also not sure what is going on with Strange's third eye, what it means, or who the random girl who popped out of the Dark Dimension was. My guess future love interest for Strange given he has finally moved on from his old flame?

Perfect Blue. The darkest anime film I've ever watched. Loved it.

I saw this movie recently. Good film but I enjoyed Paranoia Agent way more

watched Death on the nile. dont think it was good as the orient express movie. plus no daisy ridley or johnny depp.

I hated Murder on the Orient Express.

Surprisingly I loved Death On The Nile despite Gal Gadot being in it. Her fangirls are so annoying and obnoxious that I tend to get turned off whenever she's in a movie. Not the case for this film.

I saw Dr. Strange!

The film was great. I have a feeling a number of folks will outright dismiss it and hate it simply for the fact that America Chavez has
two mothers

light hearted banter between Chavez, Strange, and others, to the brutal and violent deaths that are seen quite often. Exploding heads, ripped to literal shreds, neck snapping, literal zombies!
. This is easily the best MCU film in a long while and it makes me less frustrated/disappointed with the direction WandaVision took as it was a clear set up for her role in this film. Still, its a Dr. Strange movie first and foremost and he has the lion's share of attention, as he should. There is clear character growth for him and his relationship with Wong and others. When he was first introduced, he felt almost like just another Iron Man to me, but now? I think he may be one of my favorite characters.

there was no confirmation of mutants in the original universe or teasing of Kang the Conquerer. Even in the very last end credits scene of him mentioning rifts in the multiverse. Is there any confirmation on *when* we will see him first appear? I thought I remember someone saying it was supposed to be this film. Also not sure what is going on with Strange's third eye, what it means, or who the random girl who popped out of the Dark Dimension was. My guess future love interest for Strange given he has finally moved on from his old flame?

The Best Movie of Phase 4. Yes it has it's issues but I found this way better than No Way Home.

My favorite Avenger is Doctor Strange

MV5BYWM2NDZmYmYtNzlmZC00M2MyLWJmOGUtMjhiYmQ2OGU1YTE1L2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

Holds up, and still making me laugh like it's the first time.

Insane screen chemistry.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Watched the two Ace Ventura movies and The Mule on the weekend.

Strangely enoguh I found Ace Ventura 2 more entertaining than the first one. While the first one is just a simple comedy, the 2nd one I'd place in the "so dumb it's acutally funny" category. Had a few great laughs.

The Mule was alright I guess. Kind lacked a satisfying resolution imo. Felt like the what was happening with the Mexican drug dealers needed a better resolving.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Paddington (2014). I heard it was well reviewed or maybe that was the sequel. I know it's a kids movie but whatever. It was kinda funny and silly. Peter Capaldi is in it so it was worth watching just for him. I might watch the sequel at some point.

Choose or Die. story was a bit boring but was a fun watch. loved the soundtrack.

Watched the two Ace Ventura movies and The Mule on the weekend.

Strangely enoguh I found Ace Ventura 2 more entertaining than the first one. While the first one is just a simple comedy, the 2nd one I'd place in the "so dumb it's acutally funny" category. Had a few great laughs.

The Mule was alright I guess. Kind lacked a satisfying resolution imo. Felt like the what was happening with the Mexican drug dealers needed a better resolving.
i've always loved the first ace ventura. i like the second one too but i don't know i just never found myself rewatching it a lot. the first movie will never get old for me.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
That Paterson Batman.

Weird casting and awkward performances but I enjoyed myself. Penguin was nice

Oh yeah the atmosphere was very very well done.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Uncharted

Different enough story from the games to feel fresh, while still retaining an undeniably "Uncharted" feeling; the story feels like they took an early draft of an entry in the games and retooled it for a live action franchise. It's weird that this Nathan Drake is so short, and that this Sully looks much younger (though he's really not, as Wahlberg is 50 and would have been 48 or 49 during filming) - but that quickly vanished into the back of my mind once they get going. Both adapt their characters very well, and Holland and Wahlberg have great rapport similar to Nathan and Sully from the games.

It has over the top action befitting the franchise, yet never goes quite as hard as the wildest moments from the games. The emotional engine at the heart of the movie is the relationship between Nathan and brother Sam - largely through flashbacks or short bits of exposition smattered throughout. The co-stars turn in uneven performances: Ali as Chloe Frazier is convincing as a younger version of her video game counterpart (albeit slightly modified), while Antonio Banderas as <generic villain A> Mancada ends up feeling non-sinister and pointless. Finally, Tati Gabrielle as Braddock (another creation for the movie) and her goons are serviceable, occasionally even funny or vaguely frightening, but also kind of generic. For Braddock, it very much feels like they originally wrote a script that included Nadine Ross, but realized they needed this villain to take things to places Ross never would, so they saved her for a sequel. That would be my guess anyways, because in so many ways they are very similar.

3/5 - a perfectly good action movie and scratched my Uncharted itch.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

s-l640.jpg

This film is a lot of fun. Old school comedy. Slow in places but overall a blast. Some running gags with one of the girls. But the cinematography of the old school flyers is great. They built some really original planes and filmed them flying across the English and French countryside that is breathtaking.

GeekyDad

Watch out GeekyDad might go after you for liking the movie :p
That Paterson Batman.

Weird casting and awkward performances but I enjoyed myself. Penguin was nice

Oh yeah the atmosphere was very very well done.
Well...

Nah, I'm all for people getting enjoyment out of this sort of thing. I actually disagree with him on some points, though. I thought the casting was fantastic. I also thought their performances were very strong -- the lady who played Catwoman was really good -- I thought she was a perfect casting. Penguin...jeez -- the best portrayal to date, in my opinion.

Nah, it was mainly the writing and editing that made this movie a fail for me. They didn't really wrap things up in the last half/third. And aside from the absolutely stunningly ridiculous eight or so goodbyes with a wink and nod between Batman and Catwoman, it just felt like the editing was rushed, even though the movie waaay overstayed its welcome.

Well...

Nah, I'm all for people getting enjoyment out of this sort of thing. I actually disagree with him on some points, though. I thought the casting was fantastic. I also thought their performances were very strong -- the lady who played Catwoman was really good -- I thought she was a perfect casting. Penguin...jeez -- the best portrayal to date, in my opinion.

Nah, it was mainly the writing and editing that made this movie a fail for me. They didn't really wrap things up in the last half/third. And aside from the absolutely stunningly ridiculous eight or so goodbyes with a wink and nod between Batman and Catwoman, it just felt like the editing was rushed, even though the movie waaay overstayed its welcome.
I'm just Teasing you :p

I'm watching The Northman right now and I had to stop to come here make a comment.

I'm still in the beginning and was remembered of a comment I made recently on the Anime Topic about Otyomomegatari about the Scythian:

A culture detail related to this that certainly is not present in the series are the dogs. Rather the author choose to focus on hawks "because the hawks symbolize the freedom and so and so of the nomads...". Common pedestrian stuff.
From what I heard, "young nomad boys wanting to become adults" = dog.
As part of the ritual before being expelled by their families to fend in the wild they had to kill a dog. Yes, the domestic dogs of the community. After that they would bake and eat it, with that logic that you absorb the strength of the thing you consume.
They would also take the dogs skin to make their clothes.
These boys would them live like bands of dogs, choosing a leader for the band. Basically a school for what life would be in their adult life with the group fighting for their survival but following and being servile to the tribe's boss.

Interesting detail, that idea of a "berserker" from the vikings legends looks like a left over from all that. Those groups had "immunity" to do the barbarities they wanted, attacking and pillaging everyone, some times under the influence of drugs going into the raid in the nudes in a trance.

So this movie is meant to be more culturally and historical accurate than average?
Because in this first 25 minutes there were two rituals where the characters on screen where acting like dogs, just like I commented above. The "peoples of the steppes" moved a lot and reached all the way to Western Europe leaving behinds influences of their culture. I had already head that the viking culture was a bit related to those the old steppes.
Maybe this movie will be interesting after all, I'll have to research a bit after finishing.

I'm watching The Northman right now and I had to stop to come here make a comment.

I'm still in the beginning and was remembered of a comment I made recently on the Anime Topic about Otyomomegatari about the Scythian:

So this movie is meant to be more culturally and historical accurate than average?
Because in this first 25 minutes there were two rituals where the characters on screen where acting like dogs, just like I commented above. The "peoples of the steppes" moved a lot and reached all the way to Western Europe leaving behinds influences of their culture. I had already head that the viking culture was a bit related to those the old steppes.
Maybe this movie will be interesting after all, I'll have to research a bit after finishing.
I love all of Robert Eggers films but The Northman is so far his best.

I do hope he goes back to horror for his next film

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
7l1du5fnip681.jpg

Great movie. Not for everyone.

It's a real experience, I was really immersed for 2h20min. Whether it's with the sound design, the costumes, the acting or the landscapes, we have a real proposal here and it's refreshing for once.
Our protagonist's quest for revenge is sad, violent and uncompromising. The almost supernatural atmosphere at times pays homage to Nordic folklore in a very beautiful way.
The work on the music (composed mainly of percussion and growls) is remarkable, even if I didn't really find a theme that emerges from the soundtrack, every moment in nicely accompanied with the music.

Not a masterpiece imo, but a solid movie: 8/10

I love all of Robert Eggers films but The Northman is so far his best.

I do hope he goes back to horror for his next film
7l1du5fnip681.jpg

It's a real experience, I was really immersed for 2h20min. Whether it's with the sound design, the costumes, the acting or the landscapes, we have a real proposal here and it's refreshing for once.
Our protagonist's quest for revenge is sad, violent and uncompromising. The almost supernatural atmosphere at times pays homage to Nordic folklore in a very beautiful way.
The work on the music (composed mainly of percussion and growls) is remarkable, even if I didn't really find a theme that emerges from the soundtrack, every moment in nicely accompanied with the music.

Finished watching and I appreciate a movie in this style (and "historical accuracy") being made, for the experience.
But that's it. It's a popcorn entertainment, "fun" to watch (despite knowing the "hero" will always win against the odds and the "villain" will waste all the opportunities to kill him, as always), just sit and watch when you want to free your mind from stress.
Personally I found The Lighthouse to be much more interesting, and still caught myself thinking about it, this one I'll probably forget tomorrow.

Just one question, those two kids in the end, are supposed to be someone I should know? The girl looked like a Queen (probably on from the Rus?).

Last edited:
Finished watching and I appreciate a movie in this style (and "historical accuracy") being made, for the experience.
But that's it. It's a popcorn entertainment, "fun" to watch (despite knowing the "hero" will always win against the odds and the "villain" will waste all the opportunities to kill him, as always), just sit and watch when you want to free your mind from stress.
Personally I found The Lighthouse to be much more interesting, and still caught myself thinking about it, this one I'll probably forget tomorrow.

Just one question, those two kids in the end, are supposed to be someone I should know? The girl looked like a Queen (probably on from the Rus?).
If I remember right, I'm pretty sure that's his kids

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Pig…

WTF GAF, I thought this was meant to be good? I heard things like John Wick with a pig and it had less action than The Sound of Music. :-/

Fbh

The Northman 9/10
Awesome movie, easily one of my favorites of the past few years.
Stunning visuals and a really captivating style. I've seen some people criticize it for "just being about a man looking for revenge" but I think that straightforwardness is exactly why it works so well. It's a brutal personal revenge story permeated with norse lore and tradition. I also really liked how it's not a story about good vs evil, a lot of these revenge movies usually try to sugar coat the actions of the protagonist by portraying him/her as a hero while the target of their revenge is an evil bastard that deserves to be punished, but that's not really the case here. Amleth is justified in seeking revenge, but that doesn't make him a hero.

Pig…

WTF GAF, I thought this was meant to be good? I heard things like John Wick with a pig and it had less action than The Sound of Music. :-/

Pig is great.
Some people thought the trailer was hinting at it being a John Wick style action movie (even though there was no action in the trailer) and then they were disappointed when it wasn't that.

With that said I do think the movie has a lot of elements of John Wick in it. Nic Cage in this is essentially the John Wick of cooking, it's just that cooking doesn't usually involve fighting and murdering people so it's not an action movie .

Last edited:

Amiga

Got around to watching Uncharted, pretty fun, the end set epic was something original that even toped the games, so awesome that I want to see it in Uncharted 5(please please pleas). I wish I went to the movie for this one.

I saw Dr. Strange!

two mothers
It was tiny bit that wasn't shoved in the face constantly. MCU Chavez is actually likable and not like the insufferable comics version.

Imagine him doing the Witcher. can't think of a greater match. Netflix need to pay him whatever he want's to takeover the Witcher series to personally direct it. Will top GoT easy.

Their story already started. they are just metahumans in the MCU. the awkward separation of mutants and others like Hulk and Spider-Man doesn't need to carry over to the MCU.

Got around to watching Uncharted, pretty fun, the end set epic was something original that even toped the games, so awesome that I want to see it in Uncharted 5(please please pleas). I wish I went to the movie for this one.

It was tiny bit that wasn't shoved in the face constantly. MCU Chavez is actually likable and not like the insufferable comics version.

Imagine him doing the Witcher. can't think of a greater match. Netflix need to pay him whatever he want's to takeover the Witcher series to personally direct it. Will top GoT easy.

Their story already started. they are just metahumans in the MCU. the awkward separation of mutants and others like Hulk and Spider-Man doesn't need to carry over to the MCU.
Sam Raimi is doing the Adaptation of The Kingkiller Chronicles

GeekyDad

The Northman 9/10
Awesome movie, easily one of my favorites of the past few years.
Saw the trailer a couple of times. Looks like an incredible cast, though the theme seems a little too blunt. That being said, I'm sure it's a good movie for what it is, but just like the Lighthouse, I just can't see myself watching it. I've had the Lighthouse on my Prime watch list for a while now, but just can't do it. Looks a little too grim for me right now. I hear great things about the director, but perhaps he's just not my cup of coffee.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
thought it was a movie but it's apparently a "special episode" on netflix. it's kingdom ashin of the north. didn't know what was going on lol. didn't really care for any of it.

edit: apparently it's part of a show called Kingdom. now it makes sense. haven't seen that :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Watched Frequency yesterday.

Great movie. Still remember seeing it in cinema back in the days. And as someone who grew up without a dad (he died in an accident when I was very young) it still hit hard. Shed a tear when John told his dad he missed him. Wish I could have a chance to talk to my dad like that… Miss you dad…

MV5BMTc1MzU5MDgzMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDQ4ODY2OA@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

On the Road - Recommended
I’ve gotten the impression that this movie was a disappointment, but I have to assume that it comes from novel readers who were expecting something else because this was really well made. A few section could perhaps have been cut, but I found it quite rewarding to reflect on how the characters evolved or didn’t evolve over the course of the movie.

MV5BOTc2NjRmN2QtMGY1Ny00MTc2LWJmMWUtZmViOTkyNjk2NGExXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzg5MzIyOA@@._V1_.jpg

Pig - Recommended
A deconstruction of revenge movies. Cage is the embodiment of ”I never asked for this”. Even as the movie begins he is a hermit mentally defeated by the death of his wife. You think he has the energy or ability to take a bloody revenge to get his stolen pet pig back? That’s a nice fantasy, but in reality that’s not how you achieve your goals. The most somber ”revenge” movie you will ever see.

MV5BMWNmYjI1M2UtNDdkNi00MTgwLWFiZmYtODcxNWZhM2Y2NWFkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxODk2OTU@._V1_.jpg

Burning - Recommended
A slow paced Korean thriller that could perhaps have moved a little faster. But it’s still a rewarding movie with great cinematography. I’d recommend looking up an analysis after watching as you might miss out if you take everything at face value.

6dbb7f47-f6b4-4168-9591-b063cc9f04a3

You Were Never Really Here
It was ok. I didn’t really connect with or understand the protagonist but there are some good scenes. Definitely my least favorite from this batch. Unfortunate as she also directed We Need To Talk About Kevin which I thought was fantastic.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
7l1du5fnip681.jpg

Now I want to see this. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Hoddi

Now I want to see this. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
I just finished watching this and it's an easy 9 from me. It's probably not for everyone and will rub some people the wrong way but I really liked how they depicted the viking world. I'm Icelandic myself and we're all made to read the old sagas at school and this was probably as close as we'll ever get from a big-budget Hollywood film.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Morbius was pretty dire, I enjoyed the first half more or less, but the second half was typical superhero nonsense, some nice neon cityscapes I guess. 5/10

Firestarter was the remake nobody wanted, and honestly nobody should watch. Boring, ridiculous, badly paced, like watching the most generic episode of a generic TV series dranw out to movie length. 4/10

Virus was a 1999 movie I somehow never saw. Loved the idea and the animatronics, some nice body horror, very original aliens, but still boring as fuck for some reason. Noticed the director veered into porn after this, hope he brought more excitement to that table 5/10.

Cherkasy is a recent Ukrainian movie about the last ship opposing the Russians on the Black Sea in 2014. Interesting, but there's no real depth to the characters and everything is obviously very low budget and limited in scope. Had hoped for soething more here... 5/10

Last edited:
Watched The Namesake the other day.
names600span.jpg

I like Irrfan Khan's acting -- always been a big fan. Kal Penn, not so much -- don't think he's a very good actor.

The movie. Well... I would recommend it to family members to watch. I can't really say much more about it.
Good movie but I find Kal Penn brought the movie down.

Tabu was amazing as the mom

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
6dbb7f47-f6b4-4168-9591-b063cc9f04a3

You Were Never Really Here
It was ok. I didn’t really connect with or understand the protagonist but there are some good scenes. Definitely my least favorite from this batch. Unfortunate as she also directed We Need To Talk About Kevin which I thought was fantastic.

The way I read the character, is that his PTSD is so bad that the only relief he can get now is when he's carving out an abusive from the world (so to speak). At the same time, he's not completely unsympathetic to their motivations because he's clearly done dirt in his past.

Black Snake Moan: A
rfo0RF8.gif

I went in expecting it to be just good and nothing great. I ended up loving it. Not to mention Christina Ricci being it. Great actress and I have a thing for her. Also having Samuel L Jackson in the movie was a plus. They both did a great job acting alongside each other. When the movie got to that scene that's been gifed and memed to hell on the internet, I was dying with laughter for 5 minutes. Highly recommended

Men: F-

Man what a disappointment. This movie was extremely predictable and made me roll my eyes. The body horror wasn't hard to watch for me. I laughed at how stupid this stuff looked. Not to mention it was just another of those films that just had that blatant anti male agenda crammed in. I'm a huge fan of Ex Machina and Annihilation but this one felt so disappointing.

NahaNago

The two movies I just got through watching finally was Black Friday and Vicious Fun.

The short story is that I liked both films. Black Friday was a good bit of horror almost comedy fun. The movie has some "bigger" names like Bruce Campbell and Michael Jai White in it to draw in some folks. They are side characters. It was just a somewhat corny monster horror movie. I vaguely enjoyed the music but it seems like they had a small budget so they didn't use that many songs in the movie. The monsters either looked like diseased humans or full on bad monster suit people. The last boss was just terrible . It's weird though but I still enjoyed it and I should have watched it in theaters. I'd give this movie a rating of B-. They should have added a lot more corny moments in the movie to make it memorable. Like if all of the actors were as over the top as the overweight black character then I would have absolutely loved this film.

Vicious Fun was a bit of fun. Like you get a bunch of over the top villain type characters in this movie and the normal main character has to somehow deal with them. I do think that they should have shown the bad guys actually killing folks before the get together but I guess it was suppose to be a surprise but that should have been in the summary of the movie so it wouldn't have spoiled who they were. I honestly think the boss villain was the worst person. Like he was supposed to be this cool leader chameleon type character but the person playing this character just didn't seem like quite the right fit. The movie I felt was a tad bit woke. You have the amazing female kick butt character giving advice to the loser guy and when you think the loser guy was going to rescue the old love interest she easily defends herself. I kind of liked that though. Was a bit different. He at least is somewhat brave and is willing to help out whenever. I kind of wish they went a bit more crazy and over the top with the kills like maybe add some music to hype it up. I'd give this movie a rating of B+. It was an enjoyable movie but that main bad guy was just a let down though.

I'd honestly like sequels to both movies. Vicious Fun could easily have sequels since you have a notebook where the female lead writes down names of killers she is going to kill. You could even do prequels. Black Friday's ending shows that things are still a bit crazy so you could easily have another movie dealing with all of the monsters again with the addition of new human drama. Last movie was in a toy store so next movie could be in a mall. Granted I think the budget was probably really small for the black friday film considering how much time was spent in one backroom location.

d8a5c831-92ab-415b-8acf-5da14544a3f0.fbfba1770b4d1bf897755e6a26c5411d.jpeg
09b77ebb-9f87-4021-ab9d-88f271e73d32.ad1b0ea5b247c1b8285c4f2edf8d638b.jpeg

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
watched Akira last night for the first time. saw it up on Netflix and i've heard how great it is. i like the cyberpunk setting and i suppose it was kinda cool but quite creepy. not sure what the little wrinkly kids are all about. started to lose interest towards the end of it. was some cool scenes and the soundtrack was good.

Last edited:
watched Akira last night for the first time. saw it up on Netflix and i've heard how great it is. i like the cyberpunk setting and i suppose it was kinda cool but quite creepy. not sure what the little wrinkly kids are all about. started to lose interest towards the end of it. was some cool scenes and the soundtrack was good.
This was one of the first anime I ever watched. I ended up not liking it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom