• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Friend Who Bought The $1360 Alienware PC Rig Has A Confession To Make.......(A Hideo Kojima Confession)

Kadayi

Banned
z1WkPe9.jpg
It was cold that day on set.

Last edited:

StormCell

That alienware pc was like kojima. An overrated piece of garbage

I won't say that an Alienware PC will ever truly be worth the price tag, but it's like anything else that you pay someone else to do for you. Like paying someone to build you a wrap-around deck. It will always come at a premium cost. It may be better for you, in the end, that you paid for them to build it for you. You could have done it yourself for a lot less, or you could have gotten even better materials at the price you paid--then again, you may make a mistake along the way and invest several hours more troubleshooting. That's where the brand and its attached warranties are supposed to provide some additional value (ie. If I let the dealership install my new stereo in my truck, they warranty their work).

Overrated? Certainly. Piece of garbage? Bleh.

I feel like his experience would have been 100x better picking out all the parts himself and doing a build on his own. Nothing is better than that fresh installation of an OS on a build you just completed.

Hostile_18

Banned
Why's everyone saying its "performance issues"?

Honestly even if it is it's absolutely nothing to be ashamed of OP. In this day and age theres loads you can try, it definitely dosnt make you any less of a gamer and it definitely dosnt have to be the end of your PC gaming life.

Yes it would be better if you had a strong erection by building a custom PC, but you can definitely work with what you've got. Try basic settings and slowly but surely work your way up until your at a point where your running hot and heavy but consistently with no issues. It's all about confidence and once everything is running as it should you will laugh at what you were stressed for. ❤

Kagero

I can never tell if your being serious or not 😂 I built my PC because I’m an effects artist. I also have about 200 games on steam and still play my PS4 primarily. Don’t think I’ve ever beaten a game on the PC. Most of the games run better, I just enjoy the experience on console more.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I’ve recently switched from console to PC, was a console gamer since ‘88 but loving PC so far. Every game 60fps with my preference of resolution and graphical effects.

The thing that ultimately made me switch was that even cross gen games like AC Valhalla and WD Legion being 30fps on the new consoles. That means most next gen only games will be 30fps. A 4x leap in CPU and still 30fps... Fuck that noise.

How accurate is this timeline?

So you buy order a "brand pc" go on gaf to brag. People tell you you spent too much and you could get a better pc for less. Meanwhile, it hasn't sunk in yet because you are buying games off gog.

Epic buyers remorse sets in when you see the actual pc. Can I use it on my tv? Wheres the controller? Ivemadeaterriblemistake.gif you turn it on to see if it works. It does. You close it and spend 5 minutes in silence. You could go on gaf to post about your pc on your pc but you miss the inception chance.

Go on gaf to hyper ventilate.

Forget or choose to ignore buyers remorse laws or have no idea how but refuse to try. Seems highly feasible given your usage history on your pc.

Several months, here we are.

My suggestion: use the pc to play the games you already own by reducing gaf posting time.

Last edited:
I have a friend who is a 3D modeler and works on engine physics on the side. He bought both an XSX and PS5. He said they both suck ass cause neither of them can run AutoCAD, Maya, Blender, etc.

Does this mean consoles suck? No, it just means my friend has as much logic as this thread. On the other hand, that PC sucks for the price. I need to go back and see if Konami has them beat with the super expensive, trash configuration.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
These edgelord PC builders calling Alienware overrated while probably never got to use one...

It just works and saves me a lot of hassle. Used to build my PCs myself too back in the day and that's fine if you like that kinda thing. I don't so yeah.

Barakov

giphy.gif

Yeah, my "friend" who bought that PC rig was none other than MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima ......

giphy.gif

I finally realized how terrible this decision was and decided I will sell this piece of shit overpriced technology called a PC Gaming Desktop at a loss.

I'm expecting a big loss, especially the fact that I already opened it and used it once only. That must've dropped the value by a few hundred dollars at the very least.

Well, lesson learned and I promise myself I will never ever invest in PC gaming ever again. I'm shocked that people complain about the prices of consoles when this piece of shit PC Rig can't even run TLOU2 if they'd ever release it on PC.

I will NOT post anymore on GAF until I have sold every god damn item that I bought for this piece of shit hobby called PC gaming. It's a lie and don't ever fall for it.

bTjgzg5.gif

It's alright. I've made the mistake of buying of an Alienware too. Weirdly, it's the only PC I've ever bought that broke down on me. Lesson in there.

I spend close to $1800 on the PC Rig and everything that comes with buying a PC rig (mouse, keyboard, etc).
Wtf?

You did it wrong OP. Should have been a lot more smarter about it.

Could have built a rig with a 2080ti for a couple hundred bucks more.

Just sold my Founders Edition 2080ti on ebay for $1,215. With the rumored $1400 price of the 3090, I’ll just be spending $185 to upgrade and have a system a fuck load more powerful than the PS5.

Barnabot

word on the street is if you buy and play until the end mgr revengeance the game itself optmises your alienware rig and makes its performance on par to any 2080ti rig running on sli.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Spent like over $3500 maybe even 4 GS on a trash can Mac pro that I never used and ended up giving to my sister years later just this year. Kinda regret buying it but at the same time I'm happy my sis can use it for her stuff

I've had to fix enough to know they're literal trash.
Exactly. They have plenty of proprietary parts, they are expensive af, and performance isn't great. There are plenty of prebuilt companies that provide much better offerings, at a cheaper price. The only way I could personally defend Alienware, is if they gave me free stuff. I'd end up selling it of course, and putting the money towards upgrades

teezzy

Banned
What the hell is a Radeon 570X?

Do you mean RX570 or 5700XT?

EDIT : I've found it - not a card I've seen in retail. Must be an OEM variant ?
Not a bad card for a simple gaming PC but a bit shy of what I would have gone for.... especially paired with that CPU.

I like MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima

I like him a lot actually, but he clearly bought some overstylized prebuilt with very little research, proceeded to dump way too much money into hardware and software... and now he blames the PC. The proof is in the pudding. Who the hell gets that gpu? Alienware has proprietary gpus?!! Who drops 2k on a prebuilt without having a specific game in mind they wanna play and then leaves it in a box for over half a year?

I play both console and PC. PC is just as seamless of an experience as console at this point, with such an insane amount of titles to play itd make your head spin.

Dude is either projecting some weird insecurity onto his computer, or this is some bizarre meta trolling attempt

Whenever people act like pc gaming forces you to adjust settings all day, I cant help but think they're an absolute nitwit.

Tldr - keep your overpriced weirdo Alienware rig and add me on Steam MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima

Help me help you

Last edited:

deafmedal

MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima

Friend. Do not despair the music software. I spend far more money each year on music production crap than I spend on vidya. And I play far more vidya than musicing. Yet in still I regret nothing. NOTHING. Except the time I tried PC gaming.

I prefer my vidya to be like my phone or computer- everything decided for me and consistent. As a result my computers are usually less powerful and more expensive.
This way I can spend all that tinkering time on adjusting reverb tails 😉

PhoenixTank

I might've missed a thread but did we get pics of the alleged rig at some point? Or has this just been a multi month troll, MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima ?
I look forward to the forthcoming film adaptation of this saga.

These edgelord PC builders calling Alienware overrated while probably never got to use one...

It just works and saves me a lot of hassle. Used to build my PCs myself too back in the day and that's fine if you like that kinda thing. I don't so yeah.
Muppet.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
LoL!! Alienware!!! Sub Optimal money spend, just like Kojima when developing games.

Much better to go to a PC HW store and have they build them for you. That's how I did it back in 2013. And gaming laptops are poor value for money.

Tldr - keep your overpriced weirdo Alienware rig and add me on Steam MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima

Help me help you
Apparently, when I signed up for Steam using my primary email, it said I opened a Steam account back in 2014......

I swear to God I don't ever remember opening a Steam account in 2014......

The only thing that's keeping me from selling the PC is none other than The Halo Master Chief Collection......

And Left 4 Dead 1&2.......and Gears of War, Team Fortress 2, Dota 2, Rust, S.T.A.L.K.E.R, XCOM 2, Deus Ex, Amnesia, Counter Strike, System Shock 2, Escape from Tarkov, Myst. Etc.

Top Bottom