• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It boggles my mind how PC gamers justify spending over $1000 on a graphics card (A Hideo Kojima Rant)

Chiggs

Gold Member
I’d have to modify the forum software to increase the custom title character limit. Which I might be willing to do...

I think there could be some great money-making opportunities here. Banner ads, custom profiles and titles. Think SomethingAwful before it became a big pile of trash.

Seems like a community grand slam!

I'll pitch in and raise the stakes!

And you just got Gold for your patriotism.

me0wish

No, because those retards that bought the titan back in the day permanently ruined the GPU market for the rest of us.
I don't like to sound mean or aggressive, but I share the sentiment. I can afford a 3090ti, and I really want one, but I could in no way justify paying half it's price.

I really miss pc parts having reasonable prices, games releasing on steam for 40$, they'd get discounted to 20$ within a month, the whole pc situation really sucks.

Last edited:
I think there could be some great money-making opportunities here. Banner ads, custom profiles and titles. Think SomethingAwful before it became a big pile of trash.

Seems like a community grand slam!

And you just got Gold for your patriotism.
Awww man you shouldn't have! I really appreciate it, and vow to take orders from here on out. How should I go about this? Shank, suffocate, gag, etc?

Sorcerer

On a PC, I decide when I want to upgrade, Not Sony or Microsoft. My games will always be there when I get a new machine. No fear that Sony or Microsoft are not going to be able accommodate backwards compatibility or pull the plug on an outdated online service (which you have to pay for) and I don't have to go through the mandatory pain of buying new propriety equipment for a new console (new controllers). It seems I can play every upcoming Xbox game on pc through Steam even if I have no interest in Gamepass.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

I kind of think the same way but that is just for myself spending that. I couldn't but people can spend their own money the way they want.

Chiggs

Gold Member

QPzLrVY.png

Holy shit. I love this place.

Let me know how I can pay.

linkroi

I don't understand that way of thinking. I mean, there is a graphic card for every budget, more or less, if you can afford like an RTX 2080ti and you're passionate about the gaming world, i don't see the problem. It's like the people who buy a 2000$ 4k Tv, if you love watching movies, go for it if you can, you will have a better experience than an old 720p tv. Someone who is really passionate about gaming can economise money for what they like. But i do understand that some people can't wait or don't want to spend that much on a single graphic card. That's why more affordable one exist or just buy a console.

Last edited:

Chiggs

Gold Member
Four annual GAF Gold gifts to some deserving folks would be the easiest way. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Payments sent:

1. Added 12 months to DonJuanSchlong DonJuanSchlong because he's a true hero.
2. Bought MrFunSocks MrFunSocks 12 months because I admire his poise and tenacity (get a fucking profile pic already).
3. Bought DavidGzz DavidGzz 12 months because he made me stop and think about Game Pass. He's also a big mofo.
4. Bought teezzy teezzy 12 months because he knows Shenmue is a shit game and has made me laugh.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Payments sent:

2. Bought MrFunSocks MrFunSocks 12 months because I admire his poise and tenacity (get a fucking profile pic already).
3. Bought DavidGzz DavidGzz 12 months because he made me stop and think about Game Pass. He's also a big mofo.
4. Bought teezzy teezzy 12 months because he knows Shenmue is a shit game and has made me laugh.

Cheers!

MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima are you going to stand for this?!

Payments sent:

Holy shit this guy is a fucking hero! I'm going to have to repay you seriously bro! Send me your steam and I'll get you something from there.
My bad, disregard that. Wrong person lol.

do you PC game OP?...because I do both. and it's real annoying listening to people who dont like gaming as much as they think they do, and only dive into one realm of the hobby (consoles), and want to make a thread about the PC medium which they have little experience in...

depends on what the individual wants OP do they want to future proof it, with the highest resolution and the highest framer-rate for a specific game? then they have the option to go from a $399 card to $1000 beast mode card. it's that simple, it's their choice....

Chiggs

Gold Member
MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima are you going to stand for this?!

Have I started an international arms race? Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima , I implore you to give global peace a chance, and take your beating in stride and NOT retaliate.

When the elephants fight, the grass suffers...

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex.

Last edited:
Have I started an international arms race? Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima , I implore you to give global peace a chance, and take your beating in stride and NOT retaliate.

When the elephants fight, the grass suffers...

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex.
MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima interrupting the elephant and it's grass, guess who suffered?

Exentryk

Reasons for pc gaming:
- Mods (cheat engine, QoL mods, etc)
- Wireless headphone of my choice
- 4K 60 FPS gameplay
- 4K 60 FPS recording
- Controller profiles and macros

I can get all these things only on pc. While it might cost more, the features and options make it worth it for me.

xn0

It boggles my mind that people freak out when gaming consoles cost over $500 are are expected to last 7-10 years. I get it that parents aren't going to buy their kids a $2000 xbox, but for those of us with jobs and money to spend I'd have no problem buying a $1500 gaming console with blistering performance and eye melting graphics every 3 to 5 years.

Tschumi

I agree with you, i want to add this: unless the consoles this gen cost $1000 i still think they're gonna be a relative bargain, for the quality you're getting. I reckon PS5 will be well under $500.

However, i do think that these consoles are coming out a bit too early in the development of Ray Tracing. It's janky, it is clearly due some big chunky upgrades and optimizations in the next year or so.. as such i think, from a visuals point of view, you'll be getting far more effective rtx powered titles on PC for the next 3 or 4 years (until PS5 pro or equivalent) so in that sense a pc might be a sound investment if you value these things super highly. I, for one, don't really. Not enough to spend thousands.

GiJoint

I have money. Money to splurge. Pretty easy really, enjoying PC gaming again.

But I’ll never be a pc elitist where If you game on console only that you’re a peasant? - I absolutely hate that attitude and I’ll still be gaming on console next gen too with PS5.

Last edited:

Paracelsus

I think if console publishers were legally forced to put the equivalent PC settings on the box, gpu sales would increase.

mR6xtmF.png

Xbox One X Red Dead Redemption 2.

Last edited:
I like being able to lock my framerate at 60 regardless of what I'm playing, and I want to play games at their best possible. I probably spend more than I need to on my PC, but even at it's peak PC gaming is a pretty cheap hobby. Compared to what I'll spend fixing up my '52 Chevy 1300 just to make it not a complete deathtrap, or what I spend on model kits, PCs are a bargain.

Naked-Guy-At-Compuer.jpg

rVvr6ph.jpg

I'm somewhere in between these two.

I like being able to lock my framerate at 60 regardless of what I'm playing, and I want to play games at their best possible. I probably spend more than I need to on my PC, but even at it's peak PC gaming is a pretty cheap hobby. Compared to what I'll spend fixing up my '52 Chevy 1300 just to make it not a complete deathtrap, or what I spend on model kits, PCs are a bargain.

Naked-Guy-At-Compuer.jpg

rVvr6ph.jpg

I'm somewhere in between these two.
Can't blame you, let that shit hang

My father once told me, "I'd rather be hung than hungover"

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima

You should probably swing by the Steam Hardware Survey (updated monthly) if you want to get an idea of the kind of hardware most people have and more importantly the percentage of people who are rocking the high end: -

As it currently stands the most popular GPU is the 1060 at around 11.21% which is from the last gen.

The most popular current gen GPU is the 2060 at 2.47%

Barely anyone has the 2080 or it's variants with 2080 at 0.96% 2080ti at 0.88% and 2080 Super at 0.68%

Certainly you can guarantee that there's going to be some whale out there stuffing 4 of the latest top end GPUs into their custom built super water cooled RGB Eye Sore for some Builder Forum E-Bragging Rights, but they are very much the exception versus the rule. Most people look for the best bang for buck they can get and budget accordingly. There comes a certain point when GPU grunt just doesn't do you any favours unless you've a high resolution monitor set up to match and if you look under the monitor resolutions you'll see that 1920x1080 is the most common resolution by a country mile (65.48%) whilst 4K is only 2.23%.

Personally I rock a 27" monitor (2560x1440 Dell Ultrasharp) and albeit I have a decent CPU (17-9700K), 32 GB RAM (I use my Rig for work as well as play) on the GPU front I only run a 1070ti which happily runs most modern AAA games with pretty much all the bells and whistles on (save ray tracing) if I knock the resolution down to 1920x1080 (Death Stranding looks glorious btw). Personally until I either upgrade the monitor or new games become significantly more demanding I'm not feeling the necessity to update my GPU at present, and truth is if I do, I won't be buying the ridiculously priced latest high end versus something a bit more modest in scope that hits a nice balance of price point coupled with performance.

betrayal

Banned
It also depends on whether 1000$ is a lot of money for a person. I wouldn't care about that kind of price, but I refuse to buy certain overpriced things as a matter of principle, simply because I would be feeling very stupid and cheated.

MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima

You should probably swing by the Steam Hardware Survey (updated monthly) if you want to get an idea of the kind of hardware most people have and more importantly the percentage of people who are rocking the high end: -

As it currently stands the most popular GPU is the 1060 at around 11.21% which is from the last gen.

The most popular current gen GPU is the 2060 at 2.47%

Barely anyone has the 2080 or it's variants with 2080 at 0.96% 2080ti at 0.88% and 2080 Super at 0.68%

Certainly you can guarantee that there's going to be some whale out there stuffing 4 of the latest top end GPUs into their custom built super water cooled RGB Eye Sore for some Builder Forum E-Bragging Rights, but they are very much the exception versus the rule. Most people look for the best bang for buck they can get and budget accordingly. There comes a certain point when GPU grunt just doesn't do you any favours unless you've a high resolution monitor set up to match and if you look under the monitor resolutions you'll see that 1920x1080 is the most common resolution by a country mile (65.48%) whilst 4K is only 2.23%.

Personally I rock a 27" monitor (2560x1440 Dell Ultrasharp) and albeit I have a decent CPU (17-9700K), 32 GB RAM (I use my Rig for work as well as play) on the GPU front I only run a 1070ti which happily runs most modern AAA games with pretty much all the bells and whistles on (save ray tracing) if I knock the resolution down to 1920x1080 (Death Stranding looks glorious btw). Personally until I either upgrade the monitor or new games become significantly more demanding I'm not feeling the necessity to update my GPU at present, and truth is if I do, I won't be buying the ridiculously priced latest high end versus something a bit more modest in scope that hits a nice balance of price point coupled with performance.
Fantastic breakdown on the numbers, Kadayi Kadayi :messenger_bicep:

I didn't realize there was an actual website that had those kind of statistics, it goes to show how a vocal minority can really shape your perception on something, and in this case: PC Graphics Cards.

Glad to see there's still alot of PC gamers being budget conscious. It's interesting how we both have the same CPU, except mine doesn't have the "K" at the end but yours does (is it because of your forum name? ;p)

I'm seriously considering playing Death Stranding on the PC, it's truly an incredible port from what I've seen so far and the mods are gonna be insane once they hit their stride.

notseqi

On a PC, I decide when I want to upgrade, Not Sony or Microsoft. My games will always be there when I get a new machine. No fear that Sony or Microsoft are not going to be able accommodate backwards compatibility or pull the plug on an outdated online service (which you have to pay for) and I don't have to go through the mandatory pain of buying new propriety equipment for a new console (new controllers). It seems I can play every upcoming Xbox game on pc through Steam even if I have no interest in Gamepass.
And nobody is gonna take P.T. from you.

edit: draft delete

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Fantastic breakdown on the numbers, Kadayi Kadayi :messenger_bicep:

I didn't realize there was an actual website that had those kind of statistics, it goes to show how a vocal minority can really shape your perception on something, and in this case: PC Graphics Cards.

Glad to see there's still a lot of PC gamers being budget conscious. It's interesting how we both have the same CPU, except mine doesn't have the "K" at the end but yours does (is it because of your forum name? ;p)

I'm seriously considering playing Death Stranding on the PC, it's truly an incredible port from what I've seen so far and the mods are gonna be insane once they hit their stride.

K just means I can overclock the CPU it if I chose to, though I don't bother with that nonsense these days as I find stability can be an issue and in that regard the cons outweigh the pros for me.

Have been very much into DS, there's something quite enjoyable about the whole traversal aspect and connecting the outposts. Still haven't completed it yet (I've arrived at Hartman's to give you an idea of my progress) but I've racked up well over 100 hours in large part because I like to noodle on games a bit and try out a few things early on to get my mind around the systems that invariably result in a few restarts before I truly get going and secondly dang it, but someones gotta build all those roads and zip line networks for everyone else to make use of. Not a big fan of some of the combat aspects though. The Bola gun is cool and all, but the actual assault rifles etc are a little less impactful and I really wish (someone mod it please) that the game would automatically swap out empty guns/grenades automatically versus you standing there with your dick in your hand for a couple of seconds in a fight before you realise you're all out of juice and have to select your other gun/grenades.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Pc gamers are not rich enough to play with real big boys toys, so pc parts are the next step up from Legos. Pcmr is just a self consoling term for us who failed to make it to the big money league. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
A tiny fraction of PC gamers ever really do this.

Been PC gaming for 30 years and never spent more than $500 on a graphics card.

It's expensive for sure either way though.. but you can sell your old cards and get quite a bit of savings on games if you try hard enough, people manage..
This is kind of the core of the matter.
These fancy expensive graphics cards are always super hyped - but in reality, only very few purchase them. Because even PC gamers have a limited budget.
Just looking at Steam hardware surveys will tell you as much - people playing at 1080p or lower: about 85%, people playing at 4K: about 2.3%.
Video card distribution is similar, though of course there are a lot more graphics cards than monitor resolutions, but still you'll only get about 3-5% of people owning the real high-end cards.

Those that do are of course generally more verbose about it, leading to all the small pp compensation 4K screenshot threads, which might lead some to assume a lot more people play on 4K than actually do.
Got you there, didn't I?

Last edited:

Compsiox

Banned
Pc gamers are not rich enough to play with real big boys toys, so pc parts are the next step up from Legos. Pcmr is just a self consoling term for us who failed to make it to the big money league. 🤷‍♀️
Jesus christ. Genderbender Phil Spencer!

would fuck

Last edited:
Top Bottom