• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It boggles my mind how PC gamers justify spending over $1000 on a graphics card (A Hideo Kojima Rant)

tryDEATH

This is a episode of Inside the Mind of a Console Peasant lol.

But really they the reason for high end GPU's comes down to having as much FPS as possible, the graphics are always secondary, its only on console that people have an inferiority complex about the looks of games.

MH3M3D

I mainly switched to PC gaming to play 3rd party games (still controller + TV) in 60FPS. Also for strategy games like the Total War series.
Other than that, I'd be fine with sticking to a console that offers more value. Unfortunately I don't trust devs to go 100% 60FPS next gen, so I'm forced into PC gaming.
The good news is that you don't need more than $300 for a decent card to play most games at a reasonable resolution.

Last edited:

Fbh

Every hobby has people willing to spend extra cash to get the best possible experience.
And all things considered PC gaming isn't even that expensive

Hissing Sid

Back in reality it's closer to this lol
Naked-Guy-At-Compuer.jpg

Absolutely gross. Some people just have no dignity whatsoever. I couldn't live with myself if I ever let my cable management get into such a state.

Denton

With that being said, spending over $1000 on a graphics card alone when a perfectly capable console that costs 2/3rd's less (~$449) does more than the sum of its parts is insane to me, personally.
What's insane is not enjoying my favourite hobby fully because of shitty framerate. Just can't stand 30 anymore. I own Pro but I even refuse to play its exclusives on it, hoping they get PS5 60fps patch.

I spent 1200 on 2080Ti and haven't regretted it for a second. It does help that I can afford it without a problem of course.

Last edited:

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
$1000 is too much.

I paid about $600 for my 1080ti before crypto miners ruined the market and NVidia jacked their prices up.

I’m three years on and I haven’t felt a dire need to upgrade yet while playing at 3440x1440. Cyberpunk might be the beginning of wanting to upgrade but we’ll see.

Depends on what you put priority on in life. I have no plans to start a family or own my house or any shit like that... so yeah... I could one day see myself spending 1000 on a graphics card, I mean... I haven't yet but I'm thinking if I'm in a better financial state in the future that's totally doable for me.

gatti-man

A console doesn’t and can’t do what a pc does. I’ve bought every console for the last 20 years besides the jaguar and 3DO. Still gamed on PC. The experiences are very different even now.

the 3090 I’ll be ordering is supposedly 21TF. I’ll essentially be enjoying next gen ray tracing now on the games that support it. I also use ultra wide resolutions on PC. Consoles are like a nice dinner out with the family. High end PC is like fine dining with a hot stripper. The same yet completely different.

Dr_Salt

I kinda agree that these gpu prices have reached ridiculous levels and tbh next gen consoles seem to be the best bang for your buck right.
Nevertheless I mainly play strategy games so PC is my choice and I don't think i'll ever go back to consoles.

When did cards become so expensive? Granted its been a while since I have been involved (almost a decade probably!) but I am sure the high end cards were no where near as much back then. The problem of course is higher priced high end cards pull the price of the mid range up too.

Ironbunny

I guess the value lies in what ever the hobby is. I stopped smoking 10 years ago and ever since that I have been putting the same amount of money I would have spent on cigarettes to a safe with the sole purpose of updating my rig. I do agree the pricing is already out of whack but it is what it is.

Kokoloko85

Plus they miss out on games like Mario Odessy, Smash, Breath of the Wild, Fire Emblem, Spider-man, God of War, Bloodbourne, Uncharted 4, Dreams....etc etc..

Unless they take those bucks and buy a Switch and PS4 too. Best of all worlds

Thaedolus

Gold Member
When I can play console VR at 120hz....or basically anything console at >100hz standard, the argument might start to work.

GHG

Gold Member
No, because those retards that bought the titan back in the day permanently ruined the GPU market for the rest of us.

Nah, very few people bought the first titan.

You can thank AMD's lack of meaningful competition in the GPU market for the situation we find ourselves in today. Nvidia can pretty much do what they want until AMD get their arse in gear.

OP is refering buying a console as if a console will ever be a substitute for pc gaming. To think in our lords year 2020 this still exists. I could not give less of a fuck about consoles or their games if my life depended on it. You get a PC because you're interested in its unique offer of games, present and past alongside a million other options consoles dont and never will have. If you'd gift me a ps5 and a series x i would put them up for sale right then, sealed - thats how useless they are for me

Last edited:

Garibaldi

The same way I justify spending £2.5k on a bike exhaust. Or £600 on some carbon fairing. I've got the money and it's mine. I save/invest a shit load, so the rest is getting spent on stuff that brings me joy and fulfilment.

Last edited:
Must suck to be poor
It does actually.

the good thing is though that growing up poor and going hungry ever other day leads you to becoming a more grounded person in life with more empathy for people with less than they have.

The majority of the world is made up of poor people, like the working class me who actually make the world tick, we do the important things that need done that none of the silver spooned man children will do.

Without poor people, this world wouldn’t function, there would be nobody to build your fancy console, mobile phone or the clothes you wear on your back.

Good for you having your parents pay everything for you though. You probably need someone to wipe your ass for you too.

Garibaldi

It does actually.

the good thing is though that growing up poor and going hungry ever other day leads you to becoming a more grounded person in life with more empathy for people with less than they have.

The majority of the world is made up of poor people, like the working class me who actually make the world tick, we do the important things that need done that none of the silver spooned man children will do.

Without poor people, this world wouldn’t function, there would be nobody to build your fancy console, mobile phone or the clothes you wear on your back.

Good for you having your parents pay everything for you though. You probably need someone to wipe your ass for you too.

My dad left my mam when I was 14. We had very little up till that point and we had nothing after that. We live in one of the most deprived areas of North East England. Go wipe your ass with that working class pity shit. My mam did't have a pot to piss in. Her, my brother and myself had to graft like fuck to afford to go to high education. Now 20 years later I've got a good paying job and know how to make that money work for me I'm not gonna be sorry because some other working class guy/girl hasn't got enough for some top end luxury items.

Keep blaming other people because you believe everyone who can afford something you can't is some silver spoon fed toff.

Last edited:

daninthemix

I wanted 4K and RTX and that was the cost 2 years ago. It sucks, I don't enjoy spending £1200 on a GPU that will be superseded in 2 years, but there it is.

GenericUser

It does actually.

It was meant as a joke and both of my parents are long dead.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
if you actually care about games and want the best then it's worth the price.

consoles are just aimed at casual players who don't want to spend much. i mean, a PS4 here cost £350 7 years ago... that's like £50 a year. not that great an investment or commitment.

my entire PC cost ~£4,000 and it was worth every penny. i like games and i want the best experience when playing them. if i only liked playing games occasionally and didn't really mind how it looked or performed i'd get a console. people who buy consoles only get them because they are "good enough".

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I understand it's state of the art technology, but can someone honestly tell me which developer is producing games that take full advantage of such an expensive graphics card?

basically any game that you've seen with raytracing that you can play today.

there are games like Star Citizen + Microsoft Flight Simulator that even the most expensive GPU will sweat trying to play. my £750 gpu i need to lock Flight Sim to 30fps and even then it still dips to 20fps. i don't imagine it would be much better on a 2080 Ti and i think even new nvidia cards will not be enough.

and you can bet that Cyberpunk 2077 will need a 4000 series Nvidia gpu to get the most out of it.

It's fine, part of the hobby, and as long as they invest on consoles (of their choice) as well who cares. It's a select crowd within that group port begging console exclusives (after spending so much on a card) that really baffles me.... that's when shit doesn't make sense to me. Like... you weighted the pros and cons of being a PC gamer only ---- you are well aware console manufacturers make exclusives to push their hardware. If you want in on that content you invest on said hardware just like you buy that ridiculously overpriced video card to fatten Nvidia's profit bag for no god damn reason. Not really that hard to do. I say that as someone who is a secondary PC gamer and builds his own rigs every few years. The length some within the "master race" go to port beg is insane, and shameful.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

if you actually care about games and want the best then it's worth the price.

consoles are just aimed at casual players who don't want to spend much. i mean, a PS4 here cost £350 7 years ago... that's like £50 a year. not that great an investment or commitment.

my entire PC cost ~£4,000 and it was worth every penny. i like games and i want the best experience when playing them. if i only liked playing games occasionally and didn't really mind how it looked or performed i'd get a console. people who buy consoles only get them because they are "good enough".

I get Consoles so I can play console exclusive games. Paying £1000+ more to just play RDR2 at 30fps more or Tomb Raider at 4k 60FPS Is not an investment worth it to me.

Im getting a PC to play older PC games, total war and smaller/indie titles that dont make it on the consoles.
The old days PC had alot of exclusives, now the best games are 3rd party Console games at higher specs. Consoles get most the PC games.

As money has limits for me, Id rather have those 3rd party games at lesser specs and have games like Ghosts fo Tsushima, Animal Crossing, Luigi’s Mansion 3, Spider-man, Bloodbourne etc. More games = Less Casual.
Thinking you play games at a higher fps doesn’t make you hardcore. It just makes you sound like a casual Gamer with no idea what is happening in other gaming markets.

Consoles have had alot of 1st party contenders and winners for game of the year this last decade. Casual PC gamers, who are PC only are definitely missing out. Especially when they have the funds to buy PC and consoles.

Last edited:

Jeeves

What's crazy to me is the people willingly crossing a line, performance-wise, that they supposedly can't come back from (i.e. "now that I've gotten used to x, anything less is literally unplayable"). Congrats, you've now limited the scope of your enjoyment of the hobby you love so much.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Look, if you have the money to spend on something that expensive, then more power to you.

With that being said, spending over $1000 on a graphics card alone when a perfectly capable console that costs 2/3rd's less (~$449) does more than the sum of its parts is insane to me, personally.

I understand it's state of the art technology, but can someone honestly tell me which developer is producing games that take full advantage of such an expensive graphics card?

Crysis 2 was maybe the last PC game that justified such a purchase, but nowadays, consoles have reached mid-ranged PC rigs beautifully with the added caveat of the SSD.

So GAF, who's ready to post in this thread and give me the ultimate reality check as to why PC gaming is the ultimate form of gaming, insane pricing for an individual piece of dependable hardware aside?

Ratchet & Clank, AC Valhalla and Watch Dogs 3 are all 30fps... in 2020 on brand new hardware. I’d rather spend big now and play the majority of games at 60fps for the entire gen.

It boggles my mind that people pay $600 to game at 30 fps.

Literally every game is better at 60+fps. Hell, surfing the internet is better at 60+fps. Actually having control in a game one plays means more to me than some weak hardware that cost almost the same and gives me no options.

If consoles at least offered lower resolution but higher fps I'd not give them so much shit. But until then, they can keep pumping out 30fps "cinematic" games, and I'll keep harping on them.

Top Bottom