• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My girlfriend just broke up with me. Any stories/advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
3 year relationship. I've been unemployed for 6 months, and she's been covering most/all of the bills for the last few. She had actually broken up with me previously, back in March, but we got back together the following day after she agreed to a plan I had about seeing a paid relationship counselor. We had seen a free student counselor at her college previously, and it worked out well until she got switched out for another, way less effective one. Also, our relationship at that point seemed to be in a good place, so we stopped going to counseling.

Anyway, we couldn't afford paid counseling, so we tried to simply work towards addressing the problems we had with each other, but that only worked for so long. I had been dealing with what seems to be a pretty deep depression due to the extended period of unemployment, so that made it really difficult to be the man I wanted to be for myself, much less for her. Add to that anger management issues, and me being visibly upset during an outing with her family put her over the edge, causing her to start sleeping on the couch (with some BS excuse) from that day forward (about a week prior to the breakup, which happened last week Friday).

A similar thing had happened that ultimately caused our March breakup; she had had enough, started to stonewall me (not talking, clearly not wanting to be around me at all), and after a week I just couldn't take the shut-off-edness, and brought up my concerns, to which she responded by breaking up.

Again, I brought up the stonewalling over the past week, and again, she responded by breaking up. Due to this being my first relationship, I don't really have the experience some of you guys have as far as dealing with it, so my reaction (once I was able to calm down from the pain a bit) was to come up with what I thought was a solid plan for us to be able to thrive together in a way that wouldn't wane over time because we'd keep each other honest about it and talk about our issues regularly, before they became truly problematic. We'd also start going to the free counseling again, to shift to paid counseling once I got a job.

The thing is, that was contingent on both of us being on board for it, and she simply wasn't. When I pressed for a reason why, she cited long term doubts she had, including wanting a second cat (we've lived together for about 2 years now with her cat, and I am not a pet person at all, so it's been a real struggle for me, though I've been feeding and cleaning up after it), marriage, and kids. I mentioned that we hadn't discussed any of those issues in several months, and I would've been open to discussing it further now, since I've had time since our last discussion on it to consider it, but she was unwilling.

The truly shitty part of all this is that despite my conscious, smart brain understanding the fact that I shouldn't want to be with her because she is clearly unwilling to put forth the effort it would take for us to work through our issues, while I am, I still am having a lot of trouble not continuing to rack my brain, pulling out all the stops to come up with a way to convince her to get back together with me, even though we just signed the papers today to break our lease and move out in 2 weeks.

The crux of the issue is, whenever we discussed a relationship issue, we would talk in circles. I'm inclined to keep talking about something until we figure out some way to resolve or get over it, which can often mean repeating something I'd said earlier. Sometimes it meant a discussion would be rehashed. She's inclined to discuss something until she's had enough of the discussion, even if it means leaving serious issues and problems completely unresolved, indefinitely. She would then stonewall me while she simply gets over whatever it is with time. Meanwhile, I'd feel like shit about something, as it just bounces around in my head, making me miserable.

The other issue, one that I had, anyway, was that we'd have some problem, and through discussion or whatever, we'd move past it, but then she would bring it up weeks/months later as an indicator of relationship problems. "Remember that time when..." Well, shit, I thought we'd already dealt with that!

Anyway. Fully aware of the rambling I'm doing at this point, I have to mention the fact that I've been unemployed for 6 months now since the end of my last contract in December, and in just over a week, I'll be starting month 7 of zero income. I sent out 150+ job applications last month, and not a single one got to the point of an on-site interview. There are dozens of new software engineering positions posted each day, but, after 6 years of working professionally, apparently only a handful that I'm actually possibly qualified for.

It's also important to mention that I've been looking for a position both locally, as well as out of state; specifically, in Seattle, which is an amazing city that I'd like to move to (nevermind the initial plan I had with my ex, which was to move there with her; that city is fucking great).

For that reason, it's also hard to shake the feeling that had I gotten a job, we'd still be together. For career reasons, I would've ended up moving to the west coast on my own until she converted to a full-time employee at her job in January, and could then just transfer to the Seattle office.

Anyway! Aside from hanging out with friends, and doing fun stuff, is there any advice you guys have for me? Any war stories of how you got through similar situations? Part of why this is hitting me so hard is that my ex is the only one in my life that I allowed to get as close as she was, so without her, I felt as though I didn't really have anyone. I have one very close friend, but I would often let weeks or months pass between contacting him outside of the odd Facebook comment.

This post from another thread has been really good in terms of providing perspective for me though:

First, however painful it might be, remember that it's better for this to happen now rather than later when you have kids,a house etc...

If you decided to break-up, there was probably a good reason for it.
A powerful and 100 million years old mate selection-program is running on your system background.

Now, I don't now if this will help or not but there is a scientific explanation for what is happening to you.
it was explained by Professor Henri Laborit, the father of neuroleptic medecine.

Very basically, when you are with someone, your brain receives positive feedback.
Example: you see her/him, he/she smiles, you feel good because the image of this person triggers the release of some hormones (dopamine) in your brain.

When the person leaves or dies, the positive feedback is stopped but your brain got used to it and is asking for it, thus causing pain.
To oversimplify, it's like going cold-turkey on chemical feedback.
It's pretty much the brain equivalent of the phantom limb phenomenon.

I have oversimplified for the sake of clarity but the key mechanism is still the same.
Just know that the pain is the sign of your body working normally and has a new chemical equilibrium is established, things will get better with time.

EDIT: As some people suggested, keeping your mind busy with something else is a good way to trick your brain and lessen the pain.

I've been trying to find a source for all this, but I can't seem to find one.

Edit: I mentioned this in a later response, but I'll add it here so I can get some input: Should I continue to go to the weekly board game meetup we've both been attending for almost a year? It's a decently large part of my life, but I don't know if it's worth it to continue going because I would invariably see my ex every time, even if we didn't play anything together (we usually don't).

How old are you if I may ask?

Also it simply sounds like you need to take some time and do you. Get back to work, get that depression dealt with. Job loss sucks. It definitely took a toll on my girlfriend now wife.

But if she's not willing to put in the work to make it work then she need to go.

Maximus.

Honestly man, sounds like you need to focus on yourself before the relationship. It will be hard to let go, but you can't fix your relationship if you can't fix yourself and also your job situation.

Zombine

Banned
This isn't happiness. This is toxic and it's not how life is meant to be. I've spoken with people who have gotten out of relationships that were longer than a year or so, and they always reflect on this:

"I wasted so much time on this person."

My response will always be this:

"Your failed relationship isn't a failure of you as a person. You didn't lose anything. In that moment, you were happy. A particular love interest that you had that failed should teach you something about yourself. You gained knowledge that you didn't have prior to the relationship, and moving forward you can apply what you learned to a new relationship that may be much more rewarding and healthy for you moving forward."

You are a good person. You need to focus on yourself and once you feel comfortable you should go out and have some casual fun. Do some things that you felt like you couldn't do while in the relationship like joining a club or taking up a hobby or joining a pickup league, and maybe through connections you may find a positive (with similar interests as you) naturally.

I know it probably feels bad now, but don't keep doing it to yourself. You'll do really well and you'll be better off for what happened. I wish you the best of luck though brother, and if you have any questions let me know.

Focus 1000% on getting a job. Just stay busy and try to get into new things you've never done before. Create new good memories for yourself and reconnect with friends.

Ashhong

It sounds like she was willing to put in the work, but has decided it's not worth it. I don't mean to be rude, but you just need to move on. Sometimes things don't work out.

Krammy

Try and move into another relationship ASAP. Chances are, the longer you spend not getting into a new relationship, the longer you'll spend thinking about this past one. This doesn't necessarily mean settling for any relationship or rebounding, but just get out there and start looking for new women.

My other advice would be what you're already doing, which is surrounding yourself with friends and socializing.

Phased

Find some good breakup music, listen the shit out of it, be sad for awhile and then move on. Before you know it you will hardly ever think about her and it will be fine.

It sounds a lot easier than it actually is in practice. Finding someone else also helps, but try and avoid a rebound because that isn't fair to either one of you.

HardRojo

Focus on yourself for a good while OP, try to get out of unemployment, dedicate time to yourself as a person and improve in ways you can for the time being, such as exercising and starting a healthier lifestyle, see what are the little things you can do right now to improve your situation and how you feel about yourself.
Once you get stability I'm sure the rest will come naturally in one way or another, I'm working on that right now, as I learned the hard way some months ago, that I'm not ready for a serious relationship yet, and while I still regret that last relationship I had didn't work out, I'm trying to work towards being a better person and being ready for whenever I find a partner that I feel comfortable with. I won't lie, I still have feelings for the last person I dated, and some part of me might even be expecting to get together again if it were to happen, but I'm sure the only thing I can do for now is focusing on myself, even if it means suffering a little for some time.

scoobs

The girl I had been dating for 3 years and thought I would marry, suddenly broke up with me and it tore me apart. Took me a long time to get over it, but the best advice I can give you is to remove her from all aspects of your life (especially social media, and definitely her phone number) and focus on bettering yourself.

I put on 30 pounds of muscle and found a new girl that I like even more and couldn't be happier. Focusing on yourself is the only way to really forget them I've found. You realize you don't need them to have a happy life and you just sort of forget about them.

HORRORSHØW

Work out, homie.

I'm going through similar shit right now. I'm not going to get into details, but man, it was rough. Still is. I'm just working out, concentrating on myself, killing the ego, and finding a happiness that isn't contingent on her.

You do you.

Ramsiege

Move on. From what you wrote, it seems like you guys had too many issues together that you can't get past. You've tried counseling and old problems still came up. She's not the one for you, and that is OK. Just because she's your first doesn't mean she'll be your last. Get your life together and and try finding some one else. If that doesn't work out either, that's OK too. There's over 6 billion people on this planet. It takes trial and error to find the right one.

Astral Dog

sometimes it just doesnt work, use this time to work in yourself instead of coming up with weird plans to stay in the relationship

meijiko

Someday OP, you're going to be in an amazing, functional relationship with someone and you'll look back at this and think about how much you dodged a bullet.

Even with the fairly low details, you guys just don't sound compatible to me, and I think she realized it before you did. 3 years seems like a long time, and you'll feel all those 3 long years in the gut at first, but the pain does dull over time, and someday it'll feel like a drop in the bucket. My advice is to hold no grudges, make it a clean break, and do your best to get the hell out of there.

I hope you make it here to Seattle, OP. It's a beautiful city, but don't try to move here without a job because the cost of living is terribly high and getting higher by the month.

Koppai

You obviously don't need her if she never wanted to work out your problems, and her response when you decided to talk to her about them was to break up with you, twice.

Try to look for a good job and focus on yourself, first relationships almost never last from what I've been told. I am on my second relationship and we are married now, as we care about each other deeply.

Sounds like you really want to get to Seattle, so try and make that happen. :)

How old are you if I may ask?

Also it simply sounds like you need to take some time and do you. Get back to work, get that depression dealt with. Job loss sucks. It definitely took a toll on my girlfriend now wife.

But if she's not willing to put in the work to make it work then she need to go.

26, and I have a free student counseling appointment tomorrow. It actually will make me late for a board game meetup I've been going to almost every week for about a year. The thing is, I was introduced to the group by my ex, who is also a regular, and will also be going. I plan on figuring out at some point during that appointment whether or not that meetup will continue to be a part of my life moving forward. On the one hand, since I plan on ultimately moving to Seattle, it's gonna come to an end sooner or later. Also, since I'm moving back in with my mother, it'll be a 90-minute drive one way, and that's if I leave early to beat rush hour traffic. Also, it'll cost $12 or so in gas each round trip, and things are very tight for me right now, financially. On the other, it's one of the few good things I have going in my life, and if I plan on continuing to come back to the city for these counseling appointments, then I'd be near enough to go anyway.

Anyway, I'm mentally on the same page as you. That damn lizard brain, though, or whatever, is holding me back. Every day, at some point there's an emotional buildup that I have to let loose silently in the shower.

This isn't happiness. This is toxic and it's not how life is meant to be. I've spoken with people who have gotten out of relationships that were longer than a year or so, and they always reflect on this:

"I wasted so much time on this person."

My response will always be this:

"Your failed relationship isn't a failure of you as a person. You didn't lose anything. In that moment, you were happy. A particular love interest that you had that failed should teach you something about yourself. You gained knowledge that you didn't have prior to the relationship, and moving forward you can apply what you learned to a new relationship that may be much more rewarding and healthy for you moving forward."

You are a good person. You need to focus on yourself and once you feel comfortable you should go out and have some casual fun. Do some things that you felt like you couldn't do while in the relationship like joining a club or taking up a hobby or joining a pickup league, and maybe through connections you may find a positive (with similar interests as you) naturally.

I know it probably feels bad now, but don't keep doing it to yourself. You'll do really well and you'll be better off for what happened. I wish you the best of luck though brother, and if you have any questions let me know.

I appreciate the words of support. I imagine at some point, eventually, I'll be okay with "casual things," but... I put a lot of effort into online dating before I met my ex. No matter how much forum/reddit feedback I incorporated into my profile/pictures, no matter how careful I was about message content and length, I could simply never actually convert a response (which is rare in itself) to an actual date. I don't remember how long I stuck with it, but at one point, I was spending several hours each night messaging women.

Then, the first time I decided to try something different, putting myself out there in real life, and go to a book club meeting, I go and meet my ex. I swore up and down I was the luckiest guy in the world to meet her on my very first try. Even with all this pain, I don't regret the time we had together.

I know in my head I'll get over it eventually. It's just, counseling and therapy notwithstanding, I don't know how long it'll take to actually get out of this funk. I was in a pretty bad place for the year or two I spent trying to date and completely failing to actually pull it off.

Try and move into another relationship ASAP. Chances are, the longer you spend not getting into a new relationship, the longer you'll spend thinking about this past one. This doesn't necessarily mean settling for any relationship or rebounding, but just get out there and start looking for new women.

My other advice would be what you're already doing, which is surrounding yourself with friends and socializing.

I'm hesitant to dismiss any advice out of hand that looks well-reasoned, but I really don't know about this. Historically, it's extremely difficult for me to actually get a date. Literally the very first date I ever went on resulted in the relationship that just ended, 3 and a half years later. Not to mention that I'm unemployed and in under two weeks, will be living with my mother. It's stress on top of stress, and I'm still in the "crying at least once a day" phase of this recovery process. I can't guarantee that I wouldn't have to excuse myself to cry in the bathroom if I took a woman out somewhere on a date. Not to mention that being really far from my mind right now, partially due to my grief, partially due to being broke and trying to save as much money as I can, especially on gas.

Also, the town I'm moving to is very small and boring. Back when I lived here 4-5 years ago, I had actually exhausted every woman on OKCupid in town within 10 years of me that I was at all attracted to. Scrolled all the way to the bottom of the list, and had to widen my search to the 45-minute drive north and the 90-minute drive south.

Someday OP, you're going to be in an amazing, functional relationship with someone and you'll look back at this and think about how much you dodged a bullet.

Even with the fairly low details, you guys just don't sound compatible to me, and I think she realized it before you did. 3 years seems like a long time, and you'll feel all those 3 long years in the gut at first, but the pain does dull over time, and someday it'll feel like a drop in the bucket. My advice is to hold no grudges, make it a clean break, and do your best to get the hell out of there.

I hope you make it here to Seattle, OP. It's a beautiful city, but don't try to move here without a job because the cost of living is terribly high and getting higher by the month.

This reminds me of the advice I gave my buddy when his high school sweetheart broke up with him after like 7 years. At least they weren't married. At least they hadn't bought a house together. At least they didn't have kids. I really did dodge a bullet here. I just hope I can internalize that idea sooner rather than later, because I don't like the feeling that I'm not in control of what I think.

I'm envious that you live in Seattle. And also a little frightened by what you mentioned, since my main plan is to get a job out there and then move, with or without relocation assistance, depending. My backup was to simply get a job locally, then save up for a year or two until I had enough money to simply move out there, then get a local job, if I couldn't find one willing to help with relo. The amazing time I had when I was out there has sort of cemented in my mind a certain baseline level of happiness that is almost assured if I could just actually make it out there.

You obviously don't need her if she never wanted to work out your problems, and her response when you decided to talk to her about them was to break up with you, twice.

Try to look for a good job and focus on yourself, first relationships almost never last from what I've been told. I am on my second relationship and we are married now, as we care about each other deeply.

Sounds like you really want to get to Seattle, so try and make that happen. :)

I actually hadn't heard that before, but it makes sense. I'm happy for you that you got married and are doing well.

One thing with my ex is that anytime things got really bad, she was always uncertain about the future. I've been reassuring her about her uncertainty (using my own) for a very long time, even early on in the relationship. In a way, her cynicism about relationships in general should've been a red flag. For example, early on, when we first became "serious," she had a propensity for doomsaying. "We probably won't last longer than 3 weeks." And each time we hit a milestone, that time would increase. "3 months." "A year." It wasn't until 2 months in that it started to slow down a lot, but it was always a light irritation in the back of my mind that I always chalked up to her dysthymia (chronic depression). I guess, in some ways, she was right all along.

Honestly, my real mistake was getting back with her after she broke up with me the first time. I could've sucked it up, moved in with my mother back then, and would probably have made that much more progress towards the inevitable recovery than I have at this point now.

OP you're young.

you never forget you're first love but remember first is not last. Also, it's part of growing, people grow apart but people also grow closer.

Being the glutton that I am, food is a great healer.

I can recommend subscribing to the GAF BBQ and smoking thread. Join us.

Enjoy the time you had together, focus on yourself for a while and move on.

Yeah. Just a matter of time, right?

OP you're young.

you never forget you're first love but remember first is not last. Also, it's part of growing, people grow apart but people also grow closer.

Being the glutton that I am, food is a great healer.

I can recommend subscribing to the GAF BBQ and smoking thread. Join us.

I dunno if I should subscribe to that thread. I'm pretty much just gonna eat whatever my mom makes.

mooooose

Close this chapter. Reflect a lot, workout, and find yourself again.

Also, it's bizarre you can't find a software engineering job. Do you have a link to your personal site/linkedin/resume/github?

vern

Don't limit yourself to US based jobs. You have skills and a degree, look worldwide. Lots of great jobs around the world and girls too. You are in technology l/software engineering... From my understanding you can do that anywhere. Find remote work and lay on the beach in Thailand. Go to South America and work for a tech company. Chill out in some Baltic country. The world is your oyster, no job, no girl. You will never be this free again. Do somethng big.

mooooose

Try posting your resume on reddit's cscareerquestions for more guidance.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cscareerquestions/

You have solid experience and you're clearly skillful, but your school's name probably puts you at a disadvantage. More personal projects would definitely help, especially while you're unemployed. I'm jealous that you got to work at EA!

Now is as good a time as any to work on a game. If you're looking for software engineering positions, it might not be a bad idea to work on your own game engine as you would learn a lot about design, resource management, multi-threading, the inner workings of a "game loop", lower level graphics rendering, etc. SFML is a great library to work with.

You could also contribute to some open source projects. And definitely consider working on your algorithmic thinking with sites like topcoder or even just reading the Algorithm Design Manual.

A lot of this could help take your mind off your relationship. I know it definitely sucks, and you remind me a lot of myself (if you don't believe me, check my thread history... yikes). It definitely sucks, but if you take some time out to reflect on yourself and the relationship (this could take over a year if not longer!) you will grow in the long run.

Polyphony

Good luck OP, I sympathize with you. You can only move forward. Have no regrets, it didn't work out for a reason.

Most important of all, be kind to yourself. Don't put yourself down for not having a job yet, or thinking that you caused the relationship to fail. It always takes two to make it work. You are not inadequate. You were both simply mismatched. Like I said, be kind to yourself and you will rise again from the ashes!

I'm sorry to hear what you're going through but I've been through the exact same thing.

What I will say is that for a relationship to last, both people have to be willing to weather the hard times. Life has its ups and downs, and if you're not a person who can stick through the hard times then that relationship was going to fall apart eventually anyway. It was just a matter of time. Be glad it ended before things got too serious.

It was probably entirely the unemployment. This can happen to anybody. It could have been her but it happened to be you. Unfortunately our society has a lot of double standards for men and women. Some are unfair to women. Others are unfair to men. One of the double standards that's unfair to men is that unemployment is very often a relationship killer. Most men seem to be willing to stick by a female partner that has lost their job but you'll find fewer women who'll do the same. That's on them though.

Just be glad you didn't find this out when you really needed her like with a disability where you depended on her for support. Just take this as a sign she's sorted herself out as someone who wasn't worth committing to long term. It's foolish to stand by someone who won't stand by you.

Forget about her. Focus on what's best for you and find someone that's worth fighting for and not someone who's just going to bug out when things get hard.

You seem to very qualified! Hopefully you will find something soon. My advice is to currently focus on yourself. Your ex is obviously not willing to put the effort to fix your relationship. It's time to give up on that, and that's the hardest part sadly.

Yesterday marked the 1 year anniversary of me breaking up with my BF. A day after my birthday, and it was very painful. Looking back, I have done a lot to improve on myself. I am currently in shape and doing very well in school. The pain is still there, but it's no longer an issue. Don't blame yourself for what happened and I promise you that you will find someone who is better!

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
There are a few must experiences in life, falling in love, happiness, sadness, pain, euphoria, sex, making friends, experiencing death, birth... Etc... And having your heart broken.

You can now tick one on that list, you will be a better person for it.

Any relationship is essentially dealing with their partners bullshit. The love you have for the other person simply has to outweigh the skeletons in the closet, to make people still want to be in the relationship.
It sounds to me like, between her paying all the bills, your depression and your anger issues, that it became too much for your ex, and she gave up on you. She might have lost respect for you as well.

You can ask for understanding and help, but you're not entitled to it, because feelings are irrational, and people fall in and out of love against their will.
As such, framing this as her inability to want to communicate with you, is a mistake.

I'm not a therapist or a professional, but I'd say you're not ready now to be in a relationship. Living with someone who has depression can be tortuous. Their mood swings can cause anxiety and endlessly bad days as you stand idle not being able to help, and just watch someone you love fall into despair. There might be good reasons, and those can lead to understanding, but that still doesn't lessen the toxicity. It becomes a game of how long you can endure.
And you say that you have been unemployed for more than six months. That's a long time for her to carry you financially.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what mental gymnastic you do, to justify or explain things as they have happened. The harsh truth is that your ex just doesn't want the sex chemical from you anymore. We're lead to those we are attracted to, and that is all people can go on.
You said this was your first relationship. Those are very often hard, and like your next couple of relationships, they are most likely notches on the belt. Congratulations. You just reached LvL 2 in Relationship. Now you need to get new gear and new abillities and find a LvL 2 girlfriend who fits for you. It's going to take a while. But you have all the experience points. You leveled up. Everything went as it had to, and life is about getting smarter through experiences, so it had to almost certainly happen this way.

You cannot act better than what level of understanding you have, and since this is your first relationship you acted the best you could.
What you have control of now is how you want to apply the lessons learned. Everyone spend their entire lives finding their own unique demons. We all have them, in various shapes. You have yours. Fighting them and usurping them is a long process, and only you have the key.
When we talk about "improving yourself" it's not just so you keep your mind busy as you feel the heartbreak (and feeling heartbreak is important) but also so you become better at your next relationship. We will always carry our skeleton in our closet with us. No level of improvement truly makes us ready for the next relationship, but I think most of us would say that there is a certain standard we should strive for before we move on.

It takes a lot of time to get over someone you love. So don't skip steps. Be sad, and accept there are days that suck ass. Remember that you'd be a psychopath if you didn't feel sad over someone you really cared about.
But at the same time you can be happy that you're free and got a lot ahead of you. You know a lot more than before your relationship, so you're enriched. You might sit down and chalk up (write down!) some things you want to do better next time and some things you want to be rid of.
Nothing wrong with being single. You're not attached to her in a divorce or with kids, or with a shared estate or any of that type of stuff.
You can sit back, get a kebab and really just try and refocus on how lucky you are. Making plans are exciting. Reinventing yourself is exciting. How are you going to make all of this better? What are you going to do about your job? How are your going to change your plan of attack? are you going to move? back home with your parents? look for a different sort of jobs in the mean time? Whatever it is, you have to solve it, and now you have the time and the incentive. That's what life is all about. It's going exactly as it has to.
It's much better to feel the sting of a pulling out a arrow in your heart, than let it sit for years as your heart grows dark, and both you and your ex waste your lives being unhappy, talking in circles because none of you have the balls/labia to just man up and acknowledge that the love is dead.
But so many people are afraid of being alone and scared of the heartbreak that they'd stay in poisonous relationships as they wither away. Fuck. That.

Now is the time to read Patrick Rothfuss. Now is the time to eat Peanut Butter. Now is the time to make sure you get some sun. Now is the time to find new great music through Spotify Discover Weekly. Now is the time to play Witcher 3s Expansions! Now is the time to join a gym! Now is the time to just find yourself again. It's hard work, but it's also satisfying. It's a new start. Or it can be. If you use this productively. Be sad. Be tremendously sad when you are. Allow yourself to have days that are just fucking terrible because you suddenly remembered something that reminded you of your ex. It's all part of it.
You can do whatever you want. You can a Hulk Fleshlight. You can go Kayaking. You can learn to cook the meanest fucking risotto. Whatever the hell you decide to do, just remember that we always have to grow to feel more happy. When we stagnate (in my experience) we grow really sad. When we are not evolving or improving we feel that the good lives we have are less so, because we are malleable. Then we appreciate things less and forget how things are. Even when they are bad. It's not the bad shit in your life that makes you unhappy. It's how we decide to (often not) deal with them.

Krammy

I'm hesitant to dismiss any advice out of hand that looks well-reasoned, but I really don't know about this. Historically, it's extremely difficult for me to actually get a date. Literally the very first date I ever went on resulted in the relationship that just ended, 3 and a half years later. Not to mention that I'm unemployed and in under two weeks, will be living with my mother. It's stress on top of stress, and I'm still in the "crying at least once a day" phase of this recovery process. I can't guarantee that I wouldn't have to excuse myself to cry in the bathroom if I took a woman out somewhere on a date. Not to mention that being really far from my mind right now, partially due to my grief, partially due to being broke and trying to save as much money as I can, especially on gas.

Also, the town I'm moving to is very small and boring. Back when I lived here 4-5 years ago, I had actually exhausted every woman on OKCupid in town within 10 years of me that I was at all attracted to. Scrolled all the way to the bottom of the list, and had to widen my search to the 45-minute drive north and the 90-minute drive south.

For what it's worth, it seems like there are two distinct ways (in a sea of less clear methods) that people handle breakups. My advice was coming from my own experiences, where I seem to dwell on past relationships until I find myself in a new one, but others seem content to have that crying phase and then move on fairly easily afterwards. Unfortunately that has never worked for me, so I can't speak for it, but judging from your posts, that might be what works better for you.

Either way, best of luck!

(Also, I didn't mention it before, but yeah, finding a job is super important!)

Not

Banned
girlfriends come and go

but pizza is forever

Pizzas are great for crying into when there's no shoulder around

I had a gf that cheated on me with a hobo.

image.php

Rival

Gold Member
To me it just sounds like you ultimately weren't compatible and that's ok. You seem like you are they type of person willing to really work hard on something that you want so put all that energy into getting yourself set up with a job and a place where you are happy. I believe you said it was your first relationship so while it sucks to be alone just know it probably won't be the only time that happens to you. Good luck and keep your head up.

As a side note I can't even compute the idea of a relationship counselor for a first time relationship but would be interested in hearing more info from people that did that.

sgjackson

Biggest things are:

-Make sure you're meeting your basic needs. While they won't help with the shitty feelings explicitly, eating right, exercising, sleeping well, and some form of social interaction will make your baseline level of happiness higher, which will make it easier to manage shit. Getting a job will help significantly in this regard - I'd put focus into that.
-The thing that helped me most in my last breakup was mindfulness - the idea of acknowledging thoughts as they happened and being okay with it made it way easier to deal with shit and not let it eat me alive. Do some reading on it, maybe start meditating, pray if you're religious, whatever works for you.
-As far as the board game meetup: I personally would not. I find it much easier to handle a breakup this serious if I cut off contact and exposure completely. Helps the healing process. You might be more mature or emotionally stable than me in that regard. If she stops going, that sort of meetup is exactly the kind of thing that'll make it easier to handle, and I might try to find another thing like that where you're not going to bump into her.

The Hermit

Download Tinder

Serious answer: You were too emotionally invested in her, it won't just disappear quickly. Live every day a new day.

It'll take a while, but it all will end well. Focus on yourself and how would you change things so your life can be better.

I just ended a 3y relationship and couldn't be better.

tinder is helping me a lot though

Kieli

From reading your entire post, I think you need to do the both of you a favour and move on.

It is not acceptable to use your unemployment as a crutch to constantly exude a negative vibe or atmosphere. Being visibly upset during a family outing, especially with her family, is completely not a good look at all. You didn't just ruin it for yourself and her, you left a bad impression on her entire family.

If you are feeling depressed, I suggest seeking some sort of therapy and see if you can start going on some meetups for software dev or any hobbies that you have. Take your mind off things, make new friends, hone your skills.

The thing about staying committed is that you should only do that with a special someone. For me, it's family and a very, very special group of close friends. You can't just expect every average joe in the street to stick with you through thick and thin. That's not fair to them, and not realistic either.

She evidently lacks the desire and energy to keep this relationship going. So don't force it. Use it as an opportunity to refresh, work on yourself, be happy, and then get together with someone. You can very well find someone who is prettier, funnier, more exuberant, a better match, or all of these things.

Stay tough, OP, because I'm currently battling some funk as well.

Edit: But I do agree on bringing up random issues from months/weeks ago during an argument. It's aggravating, especially if you (as a pair) have resolved or are going through the steps to resolve it. Unless it's a recurrent pattern, it's irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

Clockwork5

Hey OP! Sorry to hear about everything. I've been in a similar situation when my GF at the time didn't want to "work on it" and left. I was heartbroken and depressed for a while but coming out on the other side felt really good.

It will be hard to concentrate on other things but you have to try. It is a game of practice and patience. Do things you find relaxing, even if they don't seem to be relaxing at the time; do things that need to get done, don't let this negatively impact you more than you need to.

Ditch the board game meet up. Sorry bro, she introduced you to that, it's kinda hers and you probably don't want to be there with her and she probably doesn't want you there, for a while at least.

Finally, try not to worry too much about getting her back. The best and most sincere way of getting her back is letting her go. She will come back if she wants to. Try to focus on what you can do to meet new girls you have things in common with.

Best of luck man.

Kaze Kyou

While my experience with my ex differed slightly, I see a lot of parallels between both of our cases.

Apologies if I get some facts wrong - reading while going for an afternoon walk is hard work!

First things first, you have to accept that the relationship is 99.9% over. From the sounds of things, you're halfway there but this takes a lot of time and requires strict discipline on your behalf. NO CONTACT. A detox, if you will. Sending a message every now and then will undo any healing you've built up - if you "miss" her, combat that by picking up a hobby that you may have lost while being with her or any friends you lost during your relationship.

I did the same thing with my ex - we broke once and got back again because I couldn't accept that she wasn't looking for a guy like me. After breaking up the second time though, I completely deleted all means of communication to her. Facebook, Twitter, MSN (hahaha those were the days), I even rang my service provider to block her number. As a result, I never saw how well she was doing without me; this allowed me to focus on the most important part of healing process: me.

With your ex blocked, the one and only thing you should focus on is you. A lot of people recommend hitting the gym or starting an exercise routine, and there's a good reason why.

Your confidence has been completely shattered.

Exercising might not make you stronger, it might not even make you end up looking like a Calvin Klein models, but the very act of building up SOME muscle, the very act of trying to improve yourself will instill you with confidence. This will translate well in your job hunting and your job interviews as well, and give you the guts to annoy/spam employers with your resumes.

A breakup is not the end of the world - it sure seems like it, how does one move on from someone who's been an important part of one's life?

But you never stay in the same place all your life. Things are constantly evolving. And your breakup is the start of your evolution as a person and a better partner for the lucky gal who's fortunate enough to know you.

Good luck buddy, keep us updated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom