• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog’s output has been abysmal so far this generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

solidus12

2 remasters and 1 remake in the third year of this console generation.

It’s so sad to see what Naughty Dog has become. They were the most prestigious PlayStation studio, releasing banger after banger on a timely basis, and now all they do is rehash and recycle what they’ve previously worked on.

No wonder people like Amy Hennig and Bruce Straley parted ways with the studio.

The Druckmann leadership is bearing fruit.

Zones

giphy.gif

tommib

ND fucked themselves with raising the graphical fidelity and gameplay minutiae to absurd levels with Part II - which includes a fucking acoustic guitar simulator.

We’ll probably see 1 single player game from them at the end tail of the generation. They’ve entered Rockstar expectations level. It is what it is.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Personally, I don't see what the hate it about. They put out a game 3 years ago. They're obviously very top of the line graphically, so it's going to take longer than that to get anything going. As a non-fan, their output has always seemed like rehash and recycle to me. The same cover TPS over and over with different campaigns. It hasn't really changed.

So yeah, I don't get it. If you're a fan of their stuff I don't see why you'd suddenly be let down now. They're doing the same stuff. They will show a trailer for their next cover TPS game soon and everyone will immediately change their mind.

solidus12

Personally, I don't see what the hate it about. They put out a game 3 years ago. They're obviously very top of the line graphically, so it's going to take longer than that to get anything going. As a non-fan, their output has always seemed like rehash and recycle to me. The same cover TPS over and over with different campaigns. It hasn't really changed.

So yeah, I don't get it. If you're a fan of their stuff I don't see why you'd suddenly be let down now. They're doing the same stuff. They will show a trailer for their next cover TPS game soon and everyone will immediately change their mind.
I bet you LOVE Gears and Forza.

ND fucked themselves with raising the graphical fidelity and gameplay minutiae to absurd levels with Part II - which includes a fucking acoustic guitar simulator.

We’ll probably see 1 single player game from them at the end tail of the generation. They’ve entered Rockstar expectations level. It is what it is.

They are the closest studio to rockstar but lets not pretend they are on the same level. Their games are still linear and don't have online.

I'd love to know how much resources they dumped into factions only to pull the plug. All we fucking wanted was a slight upgrade to TLOU1's pretty great multiplayer. It wouldn't have been hard.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I bet you LOVE Gears and Forza.
I played Gears 1 and thought it was fun. I haven't played any of the others.

My first Forza game was this year. It's very good, but I don't have any previous history to compare to older games. I see longtime fans say its lacking in content, but the handling is super fun so I'm having fun with it.

Even if I literally defend Naughty Dog I still get attacked lol. Ridiculous. You're just throwing a temper tantrum over nothing. If you want the top tier AAAA shit in REALITY it takes longer than 3.5 years. So either ask for AA games from them which would at least be logical, or just stop whining about nothing. If you want a new IP add a year or 2 to that.

Not sure how a dev's output can be considered abysmal when they haven't yet shipped a game this gen.

So are we also going to level the same inane complaint against Rockstar too? They'll ship their first game in 2025, 5yrs after the start of the gen and close to a decade since their last game RDR2?

Threads like these just reek of desperation.

solidus12

I played Gears 1 and thought it was fun. I haven't played any of the others.

My first Forza game was this year. It's very good, but I don't have any previous history to compare to older games. I see longtime fans say its lacking in content, but the handling is super fun so I'm having fun with it.

Even if I literally defend Naughty Dog I still get attacked lol. Ridiculous. You're just throwing a temper tantrum over nothing. If you want the top tier AAAA shit in REALITY it takes longer than 3.5 years. So either ask for AA games from them which would at least be logical, or just stop whining about nothing. If you want a new IP add a year or 2 to that.
All I want is great games. If only Xbox could provide that consistently, then I would have bought one instead of whining about Naughty Dog.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Re2 team released their game in 2019, then 4 years later had re4 ready.
Remedy released control in 2019, had aw2 win multiple awards 4 years later.
Sekiro was released in 2019, elden ring won every award for from software under the Sun 3 years later.
Massive released division in 2019, and just launched a brand new avatar game 4 years later.

Nd released tlou2 3.5 years ago. And we haven’t even seen their next game.

This is a problem that hardly only affects ND.
I have not paid too much attention but was Sega announcing a bunch of remakes or were those sequels to those supposed to be classics, no one cared for when it mattered?
Konami, Persona, FF, Capcom... removing remakes and remasters the output isn't that great with many publishers.
Proper remakes for actually old stuff, okay, but remasters of games that got released and are still sold in their previous iteration is kinda laughable imho. But it gets bought so there is demand and my idea of what makes sense, must not be the same what other people's wallets speak. Of course they will sell and make the stuff that probably is quite risk free and does not require a gargantuan effort in finding the fun if the foundation is already there. And all that man power is then not used to make stuff I would want.

They're competing to be like Rockstar, releasing about 1 new game each generation...
But only putting it on one platform, the games having 80% less content and no multiplayer. These games shouldn't be taking more than 4-5 years. Beyond that it's diminishing returns level of polish. Furthermore it must be miserable to work on these games with the ridiculous dev cycle times. Imagine how frustrating it must be to wait so long.

Mowcno

Compared to most developers these days... Not really. I mean it's been less than 4 years since their last new game. Development is slowing down almost across the board. Bioware, Rockstar, Bethesda... heck even Tears of the Kingdom took longer to develop than Breath of the Wild.

Development output slowing down is not a naughty dog specific issue.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Re2 team released their game in 2019, then 4 years later had re4 ready.
Remedy released control in 2019, had aw2 win multiple awards 4 years later.
Sekiro was released in 2019, elden ring won every award for from software under the Sun 3 years later.
Massive released division in 2019, and just launched a brand new avatar game 4 years later.

Nd released tlou2 3.5 years ago. And we haven’t even seen their next game.
RE4 is not impressive to me at all. They're cranking out remakes with the B team. Naughty Dog is also literally doing that.
All FROM games are built on 70% existing code and assets with modifications. They don't employ magic to crank out games every other year. They reuse content. Most of them couldn't even be classified as AAA either.
I don't think Control is on par with Naughty Dog games at all. It's closer to a AA+ game with lots of PC graphics effects cranked up, and very poor optimization on console until a gen later. Alan Wake 2 looks like their first true AAA game since Quantum Break.
Avatar, I haven't played yet. Ubisoft is a factory and has more employees than anyone in gaming. So well done to them.

All I want is great games. If only Xbox could provide that consistently, then I would have bought one instead of whining about Naughty Dog.
I don't know why you keep bringing up Xbox.

Last edited:

midnightAI

Why don't we judge them on the next new game (not remake/remaster) and then we can say whether their output has been abysmal.

edit: and to be clear, take as long as you need ND, just like all AAA studios. (we haven't heard a sniff from most PlayStation Studios games and I don't care, just make the games great when we do finally see them and no 3, 4, 5 year away announcements)

Last edited:

Zuzu

While I don't like The Last of Us 2, Naughty Dog have set an extremely high standard when it comes to the production quality of their games. There are few developers who make games at their level of production (perhaps only Rockstar can equal or exceed them and they also take a long time to make games).

They probably want to push the absolute limits of the PS5 (& PS5 Pro?) as well and so they would be aiming to go beyond what they did in the PS4 generation. To do all this requires time, a lot of time, and so it's not surprising that their next new game hasn't come out yet.

Also, The Last of Us 2 could arguably be seen somewhat as a cross-gen game, similar to God of War Ragnarok. Yes, it was released before the PS5 came out but it was only a few months before it came out and it received a 60fps patch on PS5. It's not like their last game was released back in 2017. It was essentially released around the beginning of the PS5 generation.

Last edited:

Fbh

A lot of these graphics focused devs take forever to release their games. Most of you guys keep whining about graphics and production values all the time, this is what it leads to.
Imagine ND released a new game in 3 years but it was only 15 hours long and "only" looked as good as TLOU2, the meltdowns would last for months.

Why isolate Naughty Dog? You could probably name 20 companies with the same(or worse) level of output........

I think it's mostly the re-releases and Factions which have people upset.
Most of their fanbase just wants a new single player game from them but for the past 3 years every time we hear from ND it's either about a re-release or their GAAS, there seems to be this sense of "why are you working on this stuff and not what we want?".

Ironically I think people would be less upset with them if they had just been radio silent and didn't release anything for the past few years.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Because I really want to test out the Xbox ecosystem, yet there’s nothing compelling (yet).
Fair enough. I just wasn't ready for that topic shift.

What I know is that you're genuinely frustrated with something. My guess is that you're pissed at Sony marketing for sure. If Naughty Dog at least had a trailer, I could see people waiting more patiently. That makes sense to me. I think if you're even open to other systems then that tells me you're really genuinely searching for new stuff to play. I find a ton to play, but I don't know what you like. I know lots of people seem to have the same feeling you do though.

MCplayer

Guys just stfu, you want games to be released like fifa then it only comes out shit, they released 2 remasters and 1 remake but of course they are working on their next game meanwhile, just fcking wait ffs.

Its easy to criticize from your end where you just sit and play. Would love to see a bunch of gamers like you form a team and go through what they go through, making games its not Disneyland, its a job.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Compared to most developers these days... Not really. I mean it's been less than 4 years since their last new game. Development is slowing down almost across the board. Bioware, Rockstar, Bethesda... heck even Tears of the Kingdom took longer to develop than Breath of the Wild.

Development output slowing down is not a naughty dog specific issue.

Development has slowed down considerably, but that's why the biggest studios have two or three internal teams working on multiple games at the same time. Didn't really help Naughty Dog. No news about their new IP and their GAAS project is either stuck in development hell or canceled.

SCB3

I like to compare them to Insomniac, but then I realised that they have multiple games in dev and I forgot they made Ratchet and Clank as well

kaizenkko

Rcoksteady last game: 2015; next game: 2024 - 9 years
Rockstar last game: 2018; next game: maybe 2025: 7 years
Bioware last game: 2018; next game: ???
Coalition last game: 2019; next game: ???

Do you guys talk like Naughty Dog was release their last game ten years ago. lol

Stare-Bear

Banned
Rather they wait and show off a game that's far along in development, than showing off some CGI landscape with a title reveal...

Salz01

It does suck. It’s like they focus more on what they are doing on HBO than what they do on PS5. If people are like, But they released remasters of their games on ps5, I’ll be like so they are like BluePoint now?

Mr.Phoenix

So what would you say about Bend, Sucker Punch....etc.

Not every studio needs to release something new every other year. Some studios need time for their games to cook.

BbMajor7th

It's not a flattering look that the first four games they've released this generation are reiterations of their last four and only one of them contains a significant amount of new content (TLOU 2) while the other three all contain less (no multiplayer).

Flabagast

It's still wait and see imho, but it will be very disappointing if their only ouptut this gen is TLOU3 and nothing else

Exactly. I'm completely fine with this being the biggest ND graphics fan around.

They are one of the only devs who push the bar of what's possible. Regardless of how shit some parts of their modern story telling can be in newer games.

Using the guitar in surround sound with a subwoofer, you can actually feel the strings as if a real guitar is being played in front of you and hear it echo throughout the theater. Their audio department is also among the best in the industry.

They also understand the speed at which water flows so I really appreciate that as it's something a majority of devs get wrong.

Skifi28

I don't mind the remakes/remasters as side projectss, but it's quite concerning they haven't even announced or shown something new three years into the generation.

Woggleman

Let's wait until their next game. Also Rockstar takes even more time between releases and has put out crappy remasters and remakes. At least ND does a good job on their remasters yet they get more hate than Rockstar. Something tells me it is about more than time between releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom