• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil Druckmann on TLOU Part 3: "I think there's more story to tell."

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Idk about that but there are more stealth-action scenarios to sneak my way through and no one else is really taking up that mantle after MGS and Splinter Cell, so I'm down.

If you want to know how the story continues just watch your local christopher street days parade.

hDzL4W4.gif

I'd much rather a new franchise or a return to Uncharted (or Jak and Daxter), but it was clearly successful, so they were clearly going to make a 3rd one

Azurro

Banned
I'd much rather a new franchise or a return to Uncharted (or Jak and Daxter), but it was clearly successful, so they were clearly going to make a 3rd one

It remains to be seen how the sequel affects the franchise. It sold well on the strength of the first game, but it did see a downturn and even with multiple discounts along the way, with a massive one this holiday, it probably won't ever match the sales of the first game.

Uncharted doesn't need a return either. U4 had a perfect family with a beach house ending, old Nathan reminiscing about the past, surviving craziest adventures. Let it be. In total theres 6 Uncharted games and only 2 TLOU so not sure what people mean by beating a dead horse, its not even a trilogy yet.

Lets get some facts out, Joel being killed off leak spread like wildfire before game released which just fueld the hate at the time of why are men nowadays always portrayed by weak. Then Abby who was in the very first reveal skinnier is now a roid-head. If they kept her looking as a normal female physique, thats 60% less people shitting on the game. But instead its all people talked about over and over. Gameplay wise and even story it was ace, I played the game twice in a row. IMO Abby's part should of been half as long as Ellie's..it felt a little too long and I didnt really need to know what Abby does every day like we did with Ellie.

Last edited:

Madflavor

What is TLOU3 brings it full circle and is set 30 years into the future where you play as an aging dried up Ellie, who would be the same age as Joel was in TLOU1?

Uncharted doesn't need a return either. U4 had a perfect family with a beach house ending, old Nathan reminiscing about the past, surviving craziest adventures. Let it be. In total theres 6 Uncharted games and only 2 TLOU so not sure what people mean by beating a dead horse, its not even a trilogy yet...
yeah, & old nate explaining to his lovely daughter how, over the course of those crazy adventures, he ended up shooting several thousand fellow crazies (because, well, he had to, right?). for me, easily one of the most awkward, uncomfortable, & bizarre video game endings i've ever witnessed...

uncharted 4 extended the series into places it was never intended to go...

Fredrik

Found part 2 dirt cheap on Black Friday so I’m about to jump in to see if it can hold up when the story surprises aren’t there, everyone has spoiled everything by now. Unplayed my thinking is: Just get the story back on track again, vengence isn’t that interesting.

Yoboman

Yes absolutely

Part 2 was the bottom of the hero's journey

5EZfUPr.png

Part 3 will be the redemption arc for Ellie and will be a lot more hopeful

Last edited:

tassletine

No. The sequel tried so hard to top the first one it was downright embarrassing in parts. It's clear after all this time that his team have no real story to tell -- At least not at the level Druckman perceives it (high art).

Don't forget the story on the first one rested heavily on Cormac McCarthy's genius. The absence of empathy in the second story showed Druckman up entirely.

Azurro

Banned
Yes absolutely

Her journey is unnatural and artificial. I can't stop seeing the social politics of the creator because it's almost like you can see the strings of them attached to the characters on screen. Ellie just doesn't act, move, think like any female would, lesbian or otherwise, it's a script written for a male character.

Abby's character is just ridiculous in other ways, that one displays the failures of Neil Druckmann's writting. He has her kill Joel in the most stupid of circumstances and then go "look, she pets doggies, I bet you like her now.". I don't know if it's arrogance or incompetence that he thought he could make that man-woman character work.

I prefer to make jokes about the stupidity of it all, because otherwise it's annoying how certain ways of thinking have destroyed a previously god tier studio.

Ulysses 31

Her journey is unnatural and artificial. I can't stop seeing the social politics of the creator because it's almost like you can see the strings of them attached to the characters on screen. Ellie just doesn't act, move, think like any female would, lesbian or otherwise, it's a script written for a male character.

Abby's character is just ridiculous in other ways, that one displays the failures of Neil Druckmann's writting. He has her kill Joel in the most stupid of circumstances and then go "look, she pets doggies, I bet you like her now.". I don't know if it's arrogance or incompetence that he thought he could make that man-woman character work.

I prefer to make jokes about the stupidity of it all, because otherwise it's annoying how certain ways of thinking have destroyed a previously god tier studio.
Also liked the "Jerry saves Zebra's in his spare time, don't you feel bad for not letting him kill Ellie now?". :messenger_winking_tongue:

PillsOff

Banned
Yeah.
The story of Joel being resurrected by the virus only for it to make him gay but by the end of his journey to gain his straightness back he will find out the ultimate truth...

He actually was MtF trans all along

happy end

Can't wait!

tassletine

Yes absolutely

5EZfUPr.png

I don't think it wouldn't work very well. Ellie is portrayed not as misunderstood, but a stone cold psychopath.
Given how realistic the game is, it would tie it's self up in knots trying to make that work. Especially with two characters. It'll be Abby's story.

The hero's quest you've presented already doesn't fit well with part 2 because they killed Joel. ie: Ellie has no mentor in part 2. Even the helpers felt forced here (Jessie).
I think the hero's quest in this story is already too fragmented for it to be applied in any real manner.

Humdinger

Yes absolutely

5EZfUPr.png

I don't think Ellie's story qualifies for the Hero's Journey template. A few reasons...

1. In order for a journey to be "heroic" (in the mythological-spiritual sense), the protagonist has to be called beyond and outside him/herself to something larger than just his/her normal, egoic concerns. However, that doesn't happen here. Ellie's motive is revenge, which is one of the lowest, pettiest motives that exists.

2. In a hero's journey, the hero's perspective always enlarges -- the hero learns that the world is much larger and more mysterious than he/she expected. For example, think of Luke Skywalker, the innocent kid on a bumpkin planet, who discovers Obi Wan and the world of the Force -- big expansion in perspective. Nothing like that happens here. Ellie's perspective doesn't expand. If anything, it shrinks. She becomes relentlessly small-minded.

3. In a hero's journey, there are usually supernatural helpers that invite or give assistance (see figure). There is none of that here.

4. No mentors.

5. In the context of the hero's journey, a "call to adventure" has a spiritual connotation. A call to rage is not a call to adventure.

Anyway, I don't think Ellie is an archetypal hero.

Last edited:

Neff

"look, she pets doggies, I bet you like her now."

It's ok when Joel does it.

xjeq5B.jpg

She isn't. I wouldn't even call her an anti-hero because there's nothing even subversively heroic about her. She's a doggedly determined force of indiscriminate destruction right until the game's denouement and motivated purely by negative feelings throughout.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
These games take a long time to make with big budgets. Similar to the other games, Part 3 will likely be an end of PS5/start of PS6 release. So somewhere around 2027/2028.

In the meantime, you'll get remakes and Factions.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Yeah.
The story of Joel being resurrected by the virus only for it to make him gay but by the end of his journey to gain his straightness back he will find out the ultimate truth...

He actually was MtF trans all along

happy end

Can't wait!

Keep your fan fiction away from Neil. He’s starving for ideas, bankrupt even. He may look at this and go for it,

Found part 2 dirt cheap on Black Friday so I’m about to jump in to see if it can hold up when the story surprises aren’t there, everyone has spoiled everything by now. Unplayed my thinking is: Just get the story back on track again, vengence isn’t that interesting.
all dialogue could be replaced with dog barks and id be fine.
would probably prefer it.
come to think of it, no dialogue at all would probably be ideal. just emote.

anyway, my point is the story of TLOU 1 or 2 isnt good, but it has great presentation, atmosphere, and gameplay, and TLOU 2's presentation and gameplay have been significantly refined from TLOU 1.
so play it for that reason, if nothing else.

Last edited:

Fredrik

all dialogue could be replaced with dog barks and id be fine.
would probably prefer it.
come to think of it, no dialogue at all would probably be ideal. just emote.

anyway, my point is the story of TLOU 1 or 2 isnt good, but it has great presentation, atmosphere, and gameplay, and TLOU 2's presentation and gameplay have been significantly refined from TLOU 1.
so play it for that reason, if nothing else.
Yeah I will, I think I know almost everything about the story, pregnant kill and all that horrible stuff, it’ll be interesting to see if I can handle it tbh. It’s on my next game to play list, but first Horizon Forbidden West.

Azurro

Banned
It's ok when Joel does it.

xjeq5B.jpg

She isn't. I wouldn't even call her an anti-hero because there's nothing even subversively heroic about her. She's a doggedly determined force of indiscriminate destruction right until the game's denouement and motivated purely by negative feelings throughout.

That's a disingenuous response. People liked Joel when he began breaking down his barriers to Ellie, when he began seeing her as a daughter, someone he wants to protect. That was a nice moment but discounts the enormous amount of character development Joel had before getting to that point.

As for your other point, the Ellie in part 2 is just not believable, she's not a "force of destruction", because she should have gotten herself killed in the beginning of her journey. She's not strong enough or fast enough to perform the tasks the developers have her performed, there's an enormous dissonance between what the developers have her do and what the reality says someone like Ellie would actually do. A 120 lbs girl performing those tasks is just not how a woman would ever go about those, she'd get murdered very early on. That's why it's so silly to have her act like a man and pretend she's this force of will and strength, that's not how women act, this is Druckmann inserting his religious social dogma into the game.

Yoboman

I don't think it wouldn't work very well. Ellie is portrayed not as misunderstood, but a stone cold psychopath.
Given how realistic the game is, it would tie it's self up in knots trying to make that work. Especially with two characters. It'll be Abby's story.

The hero's quest you've presented already doesn't fit well with part 2 because they killed Joel. ie: Ellie has no mentor in part 2. Even the helpers felt forced here (Jessie).
I think the hero's quest in this story is already too fragmented for it to be applied in any real manner.
Part 1 is the call to action, the Supernatural circumstance (immunity) and the mentor (Joel) helping her to change as a person and become a competent killer

Part 2 is the abyss, the thing that changes Ellie. Her mentor's death. She is in a dark place through the whole game dealing with that and her place in the world not having been the cure. The end of the game is the very start of her leaving the abyss as she comes to terms with the death of Joel, his actions that prevented her being the cure and how that has affected her actions in part 2.

Part 3 will be the closing of that journey. Not saying it's going to be sunshine and rainbows, but story telling convention would have her now growing into the best version of herself in part 3.

Yoboman

I don't think Ellie's story qualifies for the Hero's Journey template. A few reasons...

1. In order for a journey to be "heroic" (in the mythological-spiritual sense), the protagonist has to be called beyond and outside him/herself to something larger than just his/her normal, egoic concerns. However, that doesn't happen here. Ellie's motive is revenge, which is one of the lowest, pettiest motives that exists.

2. In a hero's journey, the hero's perspective always enlarges -- the hero learns that the world is much larger and more mysterious than he/she expected. For example, think of Luke Skywalker, the innocent kid on a bumpkin planet, who discovers Obi Wan and the world of the Force -- big expansion in perspective. Nothing like that happens here. Ellie's perspective doesn't expand. If anything, it shrinks. She becomes relentlessly small-minded.

3. In a hero's journey, there are usually supernatural helpers that invite or give assistance (see figure). There is none of that here.

4. No mentors.

5. In the context of the hero's journey, a "call to adventure" has a spiritual connotation. A call to rage is not a call to adventure.

1. Ellie's motive is established in part 1 which is that she has the lone immunity factor that can save humanity. It is both Supernatural and a call to action larger than her existing world view . Part 2 focuses on the abyss of the heroes journey

2. Again that's addressed in part 1, and the challenge of Ellie's character is coming to terms with the apparent loss of her purpose and the loss of her mentor in Part 2

3. Joel

4. Joel

5. You're only talking about Part 2. This is a 3 part game with a character arc to be established over that whole thing.

ProtoByte

All of this would make sense if Joel hadn't killed her dad and essentially destroyed her way of life and that of her friends.
Did he? What's so different? They're unning and with mostly the same people doing the same old self-serving shit, just under a different guy.

She's following Owen's lead after he gets disillusioned with the WLF and the war, which makes sense because he means an awful lot to her. Not quite the same conditions but the motive is there. Owen is the only one she sees as someone to be completely trusted, if not moreso than Joel/Tess' relationship. She'll follow him over the WLF.
My thing is that she'd been pushing Owen away for years. It's a bit contrived for her to follow him hook line and sinker when she knows he's got someone else pregnant.

Neff

People liked Joel when he began breaking down his barriers to Ellie

Speak for yourself. I thought he was a jerk and found the giraffe moment sappy and cheap.

My thing is that she'd been pushing Owen away for years.

She had, because they were at odds over chasing Joel. Once he was out of the picture, she was in this awkward place with Owen and trying to patch things up with him.

Last edited:

Humdinger

1. Ellie's motive is established in part 1 which is that she has the lone immunity factor that can save humanity. It is both Supernatural and a call to action larger than her existing world view . Part 2 focuses on the abyss of the heroes journey

2. Again that's addressed in part 1, and the challenge of Ellie's character is coming to terms with the apparent loss of her purpose and the loss of her mentor in Part 2

3. Joel

4. Joel

5. You're only talking about Part 2. This is a 3 part game with a character arc to be established over that whole thing.

1. I agree that her worldview expands, but I don't think it has supernatural elements. TLOU's story is almost entirely naturalistic.

2. Yes, her perspective expands in Part One, but it shrinks dramatically in Part Two, to the point where she's almost sub-human. In the hero's journey, even when things are darkest, the hero doesn't spend long periods of time being petty, vindictive, and small-minded. That's not a hero. And she's no longer doing anything related to her supposed call. She has entirely forgotten about that -- all for the sake of murderous revenge. Not a hero.

3. Joel is not a supernatural helper.

4. Joel is not a mentor in the "hero's journey" sense. He teaches her survival skills but actively undermines the real call (to save humanity). He goes against that in order to protect his own self-interest -- which is the opposite of what an archetypal hero (or a mentor of such a hero) would do.

5. Yes, I was referring to Part II. Even including Part I, though, I don't think we have a hero's journey here. It just lacks too many central features.

Last edited:
Top Bottom