• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Candy Swap 2012 |OT| (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
9c25ff97-c193-4b1d-b5ac-250a0412ad18_zpsa41d5dc2.jpg

NeoGAF Candy Swap |OT|?

Welcome to the NeoGAF Candy Swap |OT|, THE place to swap Candy. But, why limit it to just Candy when you can swap other sweet things too? I'm talking about Candy, Cookies/Biscuits, Pastries, Chips/Crisps, Soft Drinks, anything.

Of course the purpose is to organize swapping of sweets between NeoGAF members from different countries so that we may all experience the sweets that another has to offer.

Furthermore, I have the bandwidth to maintain this thread so that swaps can happen on a regular basis. My goal is to have them often enough, that those who missed out on the latest swap will not be disappointed for long.

If you're interested, continue reading for information on when/how to register, rules, tips and links.

When to register:

• I will post a banner in this thread stating that registrations are open.
  • Registration will run for 3 weeks.
  • After the 3 weeks have passed, I will post another banner stating that registrations are closed.
  • Registration posts outside the banners will not be considered for the current swap.
Who can register:

• NeoGAF Members - Juniors too
  • Acquaintances of NeoGAF members
If a NeoGAF member's acquaintance wishes to be included. The NeoGAF member will post their registration information. The NeoGAF member will be their "sponsor" and will be responsible for ensuring their acquaintance follows through with the swap.

How to register:

During this time, post the following information in the thread:

• NeoGAF username
  • Country of residence
  • 2 countries you would like to swap with
  • Things you like
  • Things you dislike, cannot have or allergic to
Pairing:

• The second post in this thread is reserved to list participants/pairs for the current swap.
  • After the Registration Closed banner has been posted, I will begin pairing NeoGAF members.
  • Private Messages will be sent out to members as they are paired with one another. The second post will be updated with pairs.
  • I will pair NeoGAF members based on registration date/time and preference as best as I can.
Eg. Poster 1 is from U.S. and wants to swap with Germany. Poster 2 is from Germany and wants to swap with China. Poster 3 is from Germany and wants to swap with U.S. Posters 1 and 3 would be paired.

I will do my best not to, but as it works out, you may end up sawpping with someone from your own country.

Shipping deadline:

• After pairing is complete, I will post another banner stating the date to which your packages must be shipped by.
  • This date will be 2 weeks from when pairing is complete.
What to send:

• Anything that you and your partner decide, taking into account the following guidelines.
  • No homemade items. For safety. I trust that NeoGAF wouldn't do anything malicious to items sent to another member, but it's better to not allow the chance.
  • Sweets need to be legitimate. Sweets can be from a specialty shop as long as it is packaged properly.
  • The sweets should be packaged properly. Individually wrapped or still sealed from the purchase.
How much to send:

• I suggest a minimum of $20. Anything less and it would most likely cost more than to ship it than the actual contents.
  • I'll leave it up to you and your partner if you wish increase the limit.
Helpful links:

U.S. Postal Service Shipping Calculator
UPS Shipping Calculator
FedEx Shipping Calculator

Previous swaps:

Here are some links to the previous swap threads.

March 2008 | June 2008 | February 2009 | July 2009 | August 2010 | July 2011 | November 2011

Media:

As in the previous threads, pictures and videos are welcome in this thread. Unboxing videos as well as reviews of what you've got are also welcome.

TurbulentTurtle / Nyrad 2011
Tea & Toast / Chairhome 2011
Soneet / adamsappel 2010

Special thanks:

I'd like to thank the previous swap organizers, tmaynard, GhaleonEB, pettersson and J. M. Romeo

Happy Swapping!

Participants_Banner_zpsfa722036.jpg

Current Status: Registration open, will close August 2, 2013 @ 11:59pm Pacific.

U.S. & Canada (10 slots, expandable):

Others (No max):

U.S. & Canada Waiting List:

Banned:

1. woodsey1982

Feep

Banned
NeoGAF username: Feep
Country of residence: United States
2 countries you would like to swap with: Any countries except for Australia, New Zealand, Japan, and Brazil
Things you like: Fruit gummy type candy, coconut, nougat, almonds, honeycomb, white chocolate
Things you dislike: Black licorice (die in a fire, black licorice), toffee, superhard candies, hyperdark (70%+) chocolate

Course I'm in.

NeoGAF username: Bearded Dudebro
2 countries you would like to swap with: Any
Things you like: Dark Chocolate, Gummies, Packaged Pastries, Sour, Salty.
Things you dislike: Black licorice, dried fruit.

noah111

Still Alive
I thought this thread would be about a different type of 'sweet' swapping...
Google image search 'swapping' with safesearch off. ;b

But cool thread, looking forward to seeing gaf's multiculturalism shine. Wish I could send some of my favorite native sweets;

Wool

NeoGAF username: Wool
2 countries you would like to swap with: Any, but South America or Japan would be great.
Things you like: Anything unusual and unique to your area. Chocolate, cookies, nuts, hard candy, practically anything. Surprise me!
Things you dislike: Black licorice.

TommyT

Always wanted to take part in this but never seemed to make it in time for whatever reason. Will subscribe and be sure to keep better tabs on it this time!

Darryl

Banned
NeoGAF username: Darryl
2 countries you would like to swap with: any, i'm even down to swap with someone in the U.S. (that's not in FL)
Things you like: chocolate (dark especially), biscuit-based candy, sour things, energy drinks, salt+pepper chips
Things you dislike, cannot have or allergic to: dried fruit

I'm in :)

Country of residence: Germany
Preferred country: any
Dislikes: none

RisingZan

Neo Member
In sweet swap I trust.

Country of residence: USA
Preferred location: UK or Latin America
Dislikes: gummies, licorice (widely acknowledged devil spawn of candy world)

Of note: If you can procure themed goods, I will try to do the same (ie Doctor Who treats from UK, etc).

I also need some input on when to schedule the swaps throughout the year. The goal is to schedule them around Holidays where special or limited edition sweets may be released

I know the Holidays in the U.S. where this happens, Halloween, Christmas, and Easter. Is there anything else in the U.S. that I don't celebrate where this happens? Also, what about in your country?

wbsmcs

NeoGAF username: wbsmcs
Country of residence: Canada (I guess it has the same products as US)
2 countries you would like to swap with: any, does not matter to me
Things you like: Sweet-sour candy, chocolate bars with nuts, peanut butter chocolate, sugar cane soda, any type of candy
Things you dislike, cannot have or allergic to: dark chocolate, coconut, chips

injurai

Banned
Things you like: Sweet-sour candy, chocolate bars with nuts, peanut butter chocolate, sugar cane soda, any type of candy

how are you allergic to dark chocolate but not milk chocolate?

8bit

Knows the Score
Tried to do this before but my partner was paranoid when I didn't respond to a PM within 48 hours and jumped ship, then they stiffed the recipient or something anyway.

8bit
Switzerland
Anyone
No preference
No preference

Bread

Banned
fuck yes I've always wanted to get in on this!

NeoGAF username: Bread
2 countries you would like to swap with: Any countries in Europe, or Australia, or New Zealand
Things you like: fruit candy, sour stuff, cookies, wafers, I can eat chocolate but would prefer to not receive much of it (stomach issues).
Things you dislike: licorice, dark chocolate, dried fruit, and because dudebro mentioned it, bugs.

Fox Mulder

I'm in. I'm open to anything from anywhere.

NeoGAF username: bkfount
Country of residence: US
2 countries you would like to swap with: anyone
Things you like: anything
Things you dislike, cannot have or allergic to: nothing, I'll try anything.

Wool

I only spent 4 days in Canada, but they actually have a lot of different products. "Smarties" are two completely different things here and there. "Coffee Crisp" is not in the US anywhere I have seen, along with a couple other ones like "aero" and "wonderbar" (although we do have Wonder Balls).

That said, I'm sure they are much more similar than anywhere else would be.

I know the Holidays in the U.S. where this happens, Halloween, Christmas, and Easter. Is there anything else in the U.S. that I don't celebrate where this happens? Also, what about in your country?

Valentine's Day would be another big one, but I can't think of anything I'd deem worthy to send internationally out of that category.

Username: Tea & Toast

Swap with: Really don't mind the country.

Like: Gummies / Chewies / Fruit Flavour first and foremost. Milk Chocolate / White chocolate /Mazipan

Dislike: Dark Chocolate / Liquorice

:)

"Sweet Swap," I like it.

NeoGAF username: adamsappel
2 countries you would like to swap with: Any, but family has requested Germany or Brazil (have already traded with Ireland, UK, Australia, Holland, Spain)
Things you like: Chocolate, local favorites, unusual things.
Things you dislike, cannot have or allergic to: Not a huge fan of sour or hard candies; I like black licorice (even the salted kind), but a little goes a long way.

wbsmcs

I only spent 4 days in Canada, but they actually have a lot of different products. "Smarties" are two completely different things here and there. "Coffee Crisp" is not in the US anywhere I have seen, along with a couple other ones like "aero" and "wonderbar" (although we do have Wonder Balls).

No Coffee Crisp or Wonderbar? Coffee Crisp is a top 3 chocolate bar for me. I'll be sure to include both in my swap!

Hoo-doo

Banned
The thought of trolling people from different continents with some dutch-made salty liquorice is tempting.

Maybe i'll sign up for this later, I always wanted to try some US foods like Twinkies.

Espresso

Banned
NeoGAF username: espresso
2 countries you would like to swap with: Spain, France
Things you like: fudge, coconut, nougat, almonds, honeycomb, white chocolate, fruit candy, candy flavored drink(s)
Things you dislike: black licorice, jaw breakers

Chairhome

Username: Tea & Toast

Swap with: Really don't mind the country.

Like: Gummies / Chewies / Fruit Flavour first and foremost. Milk Chocolate / White chocolate

Dislike: Dark Chocolate / Liquorice

:)

This guy hooked me up last year :-D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD5yv1t3Ofk&feature=g-upl

I will try to participate this year after I clear it with my wife, haha. Keep in mind that shipping is kind of expensive. I think I spent $90+ last year with shipping. But it was worth it, snacked on that stuff for plenty of weeks afterwards.

notworksafe

NeoGAF username: notworksafe
Country of residence: USA (Southwest)
2 countries you would like to swap with: Any
Things you like:Gummies, Fruit, Chocolate, Salty snacks, whatever
Things you dislike: black licorice, super strong sour stuff

Did this in 2010 and really enjoyed it. Thanks for organizing another. :)

If possible I'd like to be paired with someone who is willing to spend closer to $30-40 US, but if not that's okay. Here's what I sent last time: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23150619&postcount=505

HiResDes

Will join if the tread isn't overloaded with other Americans...But I promise to send some weird exclusive Cincinnati stuff as well : )

Will join if the tread isn't overloaded with other Americans...But I promise to send some weird exclusive Cincinnati stuff as well : )

So I've limited the # of participant slots that can be taken by Americans, to hopefully avoid an unbalanced turnout like what appears to be the trend. Anyone have any problems with that?

Hmmm... I wouldn't mind doing this again!

NeoGAF username: JessicaPadkin
Country of residence: England, UK
2 countries you would like to swap with: Anywhere other than USA or Japan (I had US last time, and my colleagues bring Japanese and American sweets in a lot anyway). Korea or Mexico would be good!
Things you like: Black licorice, anise flavours in general, cinnamon, spicy and sour stuff, floral flavours, anything!
Things you dislike, cannot have or allergic to: Nothing.

5amshift

Banned
Hell yes! I'm in!

NeoGAF username: 5amshift
2 countries you would like to swap with: Japan/Germany or UK
Things you like: Gummy, Chocolate, Gum, Chips, Soda
Things you dislike, cannot have or allergic to: Black licorice, Fruit

Fox1304

Would love to participate, but I'm really afraid of shipping costs to the US ( French here ). Any Euro-folk, or even better French ones could give me an idea of how much they had to pay in a previous edition , or how much I should be ready to pay ?
Low on cash right now, but would love to participate this year. Only if shipping isn't indecent then.

Hell yes! I'm in!

NeoGAF username: 5amshift
2 countries you would like to swap with: Japan/Germany or UK
Things you like: Gummy, Chocolate, Gum, Chips, Soda
Things you dislike, cannot have or allergic to: Black licorice, Fruit

Sorry man, U.S. slots are full. I'll open more slots for U.S. participants if we get enough from other countries.

Hot damn! During the last two candy swaps, I was a mere lurker and watched with envy when people posted their awesome candy hauls. Never again, count me in!

NeoGAF username: Haemolacria
Country of residence: Finland
2 countries you would like to swap with: Any non-European country will do
Things you like: Anything goes.
Things you dislike, cannot have or allergic to: -

I'm from Canada, so out of luck?

Well, I would say unfortunately yes. My reasoning being is that Canada and U.S. being neighbors, that we get a lot of the same things. I thought it best to not pair up U.S. and Canada so that the swaps are as unique as possible.

But, If you guys from Canada say you wouldn't mind being potentially paired with those from the U.S., I can put you in the Other list to be paired.

I was kinda interested in trying this out so that I could get some good ol' american HFCS-candy, but it looks like the delivery from/to the UK is in excess of $70 o_O

smoothj

Count me in!

NeoGAF username: r3d panda
Country of residence: United States + Mexico
2 countries you would like to swap with: any except for Mexico and Japan
Things you like: BEEF JERKY TYPE STUFF(salty type treats), Sour, Spicy, Chocolate, Gummy, Weird/odd, Chewy, milk-made
Things you dislike: Black Licorice, any sort of candy considered for old people, hard candy

Edit-
I see US slots are full. I have full access to all Mexican candy (I live in San Diego and go to Tijuana weekly). I'm can me a Mexican Candy resource then :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom