• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Seventh Generation Awards

AniHawk

Solid top ten, but no love for Rock Band makes me SMH

i think in that case it was a mix of a high price of entry and the series being fairly spread out that led to it not getting a ton of recognition. it was still one of the top 20 franchises for the generation.

Surprised how little Microsoft features considering how dominant that platform seemed for so many years. I wonder if their first party games would have been remembered more fondly if they weren't still milking them to this day.

Good top 10, lots of Mario, lots of Souls, nothing too surprising. I need to play Xenoblade some time.

Race Driver: GRID was robbed.

Elandyll

Banned
Great list, only confused about Portal as PC exclusive.

Wasn't it first released as part of the Orange box on both PC and 360, and within another month or so on PS3 as well?

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
Bayonetta grabbing the #10 spot.

QONVIyz.gif

Good job GAF. :)

Budi

Huh we had a vote for this, bummer that I missed it. Interesting to read the results atleast.

Edit: I feel those 26 votes to XCOM came from the only 26 people in GAF who played the game =P

Reset

Huh, no love for DmC or DMC 4? Last of Us higher than the Uncharted games... eh. Tekken/Virtua Fighter/GG higher than MK9? Only thing I really agree with the list is that SFIV was the best fighting game of last generation.

GamerJM

Banned
i think in that case it was a mix of a high price of entry and the series being fairly spread out that led to it not getting a ton of recognition. it was still one of the top 20 franchises for the generation.

Also being kind of a fad. Saying this as someone who voted for it and put hundreds of hours into the games. GH/RB just aren't something people have a lot of nostalgia for, at least not yet. I think most people look back on the games as gimmicks that took up too much space in their living spaces for too long.

Luckily the clear best game in the series, RB3, outranked everything else. Which makes sense, because the people who really loved the games probably stuck it out for that long and got to see Harmonix's vision fully realized with that game.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I get that this is voting but I'm not a fan of how there's two Mass Effects, two Marios, (Beyond!) two Souls and two Naughty Dog games in the top 10. Feels like people were voting for their favorite franchises to get as high as possible instead of using the room on their list to capture the most definitive and all around best games of last gen. Lots of important stuff that's being forgotten, and some okay games getting overhyped. Looking at these games also shows how it wasnt really a great gen.

Why would one not vote for two games in a series if one thinks they are the best of the gen? In my eyes Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 are the closest thing to perfection, have sublime level design, are filled to the brim with creative ideas, they are just all around marvel and are significantly better than anything else this generation, even though I really enjoyed a ton of games this generation. I am sure others would be able to say something similar about Souls or Naughty Dog games (though I would not agree with them). Why is it you just assume people vote for games in a series for outside reasons than just loving those games?

Yay, results time! Thanks again for doing this, Anihawk.

My prediction came true, sort of. Dark Souls and Demon's Souls split the vote and lost to The Last of Us, because Naughty Dog fans gravitated more to a single game.

But man, just barely in both cases. Only 4 votes separated The Last of US and Dark Souls, and only 7 votes separated Demon's Souls and Uncharted 2! Talk about neck and neck.

But I didn't see Mario Galaxy leapfrogging them both. Congrats to Mario!

AniHawk

Yay, results time! Thanks again for doing this, Anihawk.

My prediction came true, sort of. Dark Souls and Demon's Souls split the vote and lost to The Last of Us, because Naughty Dog fans gravitated more to a single game.

But man, just barely in both cases. Only 4 votes separated The Last of US and Dark Souls, and only 7 votes separated Demon's Souls and Uncharted 2! Talk about neck and neck.

But I didn't see Mario Galaxy leapfrogging them both. Congrats to Mario!

in the middle of the gen we had a couple 'best games of all time' threads and smg consistently won. i think uncharted 2 was a runner-up too.

I am pretty surprised that Arkham City is so low compared to Arkham Asylum. City is the much better experience, felt more...TIGHT and COHESIVE. But really, City is the better game. And no love for any of the Devil May Cry games? Also kind of strange, though to be fair 4 and DmC are among the weaker entries in the series (2 doesn't count).

Melchiah

Good choices, and there are many of my favorites in the top 25. It's great that WipEout HD topped the racing section. Well deserved. The horror section is pretty underwhelming, but so was the whole generation in that regard. It's odd, that The Last of Us is not included there. It's not really a 3rd person shooter, unless you play it on easy. On normal and hard it would fit the stealth section far better.

EDIT: Thanks to Anihawk for compiling and presenting the data.

Crayolan

Surprised Dark Souls did not top the list, figured GAF's souls fans outnumbered Naughty Dog fans.

Props to the other person who voted for PMD: Explorers of Sky.

Galaxy is the best Mario game, so that's that on that. Galaxy 2 is a better platformer/game, but 1 has such an amazing soul.

From the iconic cutscenes

gU15t4Z.gif

to the incredible, sad and deep Rosalina's backstory,

rosalina-super-mario-galaxy-luma-swarm-gif-animation.gif

Galaxy 1 deserves to be called the better one of the duology.

uHpVNO.gif

People really overblow the story aspects of Galaxy. I don't dislike Rosalina's backstory, but it's a cute detail at best. It really baffles me that people value something like that so highly over the step up in level design and difficulty present in Galaxy 2.

AniHawk

the story in smg is bad and nintendo should feel bad.

miyamoto was right to rip it out in favor of a much tighter game.

AniHawk

Good choices, and there are many of my favorites in the top 25. It's great that WipEout HD topped the racing section. Well deserved. The horror section is pretty underwhelming, but so was the whole generation in that regard. It's odd, that The Last of Us is not included there. It's not really a 3rd person shooter, unless you play it on easy. On normal and hard it would fit the stealth section far better.

EDIT: Thanks to Anihawk for compiling and presenting the data.

the last of us is an odd bird. i think it can slot into many different places. batman arkham asylum could be a stealth game too but i feel like it fits more into the metroid style of action-adventure instead for instance.

the last of us is an odd bird. i think it can slot into many different places. batman arkham asylum could be a stealth game too but i feel like it fits more into the metroid style of action-adventure instead for instance.

I always saw Action-Adventure as a game that mixes at least 3 genres on the regular for the experience since the first time I heard it it was applied to Zelda. With Zelda you have the combat, puzzles, and rpg components.

Batman you have combat, stealth, platforming, and puzzles.

Uncharted you have shooting, platforming, and puzzles.

Metroid is just platforming and combat. Action-Platformer

TLOU is all about resource management and avoiding fights (if you can), so it's a survival horror game.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Glad to see Dark Souls and Demon's Souls are so high.

Salty that they aren't #1, and that Dragon's Dogma and my other favourites are so low. Booooo

Once again thanks for your hard work, AniHawk.

eot

Banned
What the hell is Portal 2 doing higher on the list than Portal?

I hope people voted for the co-op

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Glad to see that even during the whole hateboner for Japan last gen, 4/5 of the top 10 were Japanese games. It's interesting to see what games have held up better than others.

I'm surprised for all of the love for ME2, though. For me it always sat as the weakest entry of the trilogy. Sure, the first mission (where you recruit Garrus) and the suicide mission were great, but so much of the game felt like trawls down linear corridors with repetitive combat. Lacked the exploration and sense of wonder that the first had (although the combat was definitely much smoother), and the gameplay at least was better in 3.

Anyways, I expected Radiant Historia to do much better, and I'm pleasantly surprised by Xenoblade's placement (easily my #1 from that gen), since the game was such a limited release. I really should have voted :p

Just checking this list out for recommendations and I didn't see Bioshock 2 like at all... I thought that game had a big following on Gaf?

Also I hope the reason there is only one honorable mention for metro games is because most people played the redux. Last Light entered my top 10 after I beat it last week...

Andrew J.

Just checking this list out for recommendations and I didn't see Bioshock 2 like at all... I thought that game had a big following on Gaf?

Don't know how you got that impression. Every discussion of Bioshock 2 that has ever happened has started out with "Well, it's not a bad game..." It is one of the most utterly forgotten sequels that has ever existed.

So, what's the story behind the Gen 6 skip-over?

The story is that there is no Gen 6 skip-over, and I don't know what you're talking about. The Gen 6 thread is linked right at the top of the OP.

Don't know how you got that impression. Every discussion of Bioshock 2 that has ever happened has started out with "Well, it's not a bad game..." It is one of the most utterly forgotten sequels that has ever existed.

The story is that there is no Gen 6 skip-over, and I don't know what you're talking about. The Gen 6 thread is linked right at the top of the OP.

Check any bioshock series lttp threads and you'll see numbers of people praising it as best game in the series. Better gameplay etc.

I thought there was enough of a following to at least rank on the entire list.

xviper

i'm ok with Mass effect being in the top 10 even though it is one of the worst series in my opinion, but Bayo-fucking-Netta in top 10 and not God of war 3, MGR, or Devil May cry 4 ?? what the hell ??

AniHawk

i'm ok with Mass effect being in the top 10 even though it is one of the worst series in my opinion, but Bayo-fucking-Netta in top 10 and not God of war 3, MGR, or Devil May cry 4 ?? what the hell ??

bayonetta is a lot more popular here due to the semifrequent re-releases and the gameplay being so sooooo good.

Top Bottom