• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Seventh Generation Awards

Bl@de

Galaxy is the best and most innovative Mario of all time. Deserved winner and one of the best games ever.

Chac

Lost Odyssey not even in the top 100? Shameful.

Nier so close to the top 25. Impressive.

As expected, my tastes are wildly different from GAF...

shwimpy

TLoU is probably my favorite game of all-time but I'm content with Galaxy over it. Red Dead shouldn't be that low... especially below Mass Effect 2.

WonderzL

Banned
Galaxy is the best Mario game, so that's that on that. Galaxy 2 is a better platformer/game, but 1 has such an amazing soul.

From the iconic cutscenes

gU15t4Z.gif

to the incredible, sad and deep Rosalina's backstory,

rosalina-super-mario-galaxy-luma-swarm-gif-animation.gif

Galaxy 1 deserves to be called the better one of the duology.

uHpVNO.gif

ohlawd

wrong Galaxy game at top but whatever. I had my #1 and #2 as Galaxy 2 and Galaxy 1 respectively so it's not a total wash

I'll always value the better playing game. novel, story, freshness, whatever is lost on me

GamerJM

Banned
I don't think I've ever heard anyone have the same reason for preferring Galaxy 1 over 2 as me.

Galaxy 2 is too hard, or at least harder than I'd typically want a Mario game to be. The Perfect Run is just....kinda brutal for the series' standards, and so are some of those daredevil run stars in that game. Don't hurt me for this opinion k thnx

Keinning

Bonus Awards

Best Generation Exclusives (Games that have never been ported or remade from or to platforms in any other generation)
1. Demon’s Souls\
2. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
3. Dead Space
4. Pokemon SoulSilver/HeartGold
5. Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl
6. Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
7. Catherine
8. LittleBigPlanet
9. World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King
10. Rock Band 3

Thanks to BC you can play catherine and Dead Space though

kunonabi

This list is a perfect example of how gigantic the gulf between my tastes and the general public has become since that generation. Thank goodness for Mario at least.

Megatron

Wow, Zelda performed terribly this gen.

On the PC list, shouldn't portal and team fortress not be on there? They are both on consoles. I voted portal #1 and I only played it on 360 as part of the Orange Box.

Also I agree that the galaxy games should be on the platform exclusives list. What's the difference between those and red dead? I can go into my xb1 and buy and play red dead, just like I can go into my wiiu and buy and play the galaxy games.

Great work Ani, I love looking at these numbers!

spekkeh

Banned
I don't think I've ever heard anyone have the same reason for preferring Galaxy 1 over 2 as me.

Galaxy 2 is too hard, or at least harder than I'd typically want a Mario game to be. The Perfect Run is just....kinda brutal for the series' standards, and so are some of those daredevil run stars in that game. Don't hurt me for this opinion k thnx
I think my main reason is that Super Mario Galaxy is incredibly original and creative, there's pretty much nothing like it. But when SMG2 came out, well, there was something like it. So it could never recapture that sense of wonder.

But the second reason hits very close to what you say that SMG2 is at times too difficult. The reason I find SMG1 the best game of the generation and maybe the best game ever, is that basically captures that feeling of the garden of Mario 64 and then creates an entire game out of it. The way you soar, somersault and loop the loop through and over planets, it's half platformer, half performance art. It regularly feels like the platforms are not laid out to create obstacles, but rather the opposite, they are scaffolding to create kinesthetically pleasing movement patterns. And because the game is not very challenging it lets you free to move the way you want. It's essentially a game about self expression. Very unique in the AAA sphere.

SMG2 and SM3DW put much higher demands on the player, making the game system driven instead of player driven. That killed the self expression.

DrD

Great list overall, only things I really disagree with are the two Mass Effect games and Uncharted 2 being in the top 10.

My quick top 10 since I missed voting:

1. World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade/Wrath of the Lich King (can't choose between the two expansions, both belong to the golden age of WoW)
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. Dark Souls
4. Fallout: New Vegas
5. Warhawk
6. Demon's Souls
7. Grand Theft Auto V
8. Red Dead Redemption
9. The Last of Us
10. Bayonetta

I feel bad for leaving my two favorite playing TPS, Vanquish and Max Payne 3 off this list.

Wiped89

Oh my god. Gaf. I agree with everything. You have amazing taste. SMG top overall and Wipeout HD top of racing. YES!

Depends I guess. Release day NV was so broken, I'd honestly sympathize with anyone who just refused to play that pile of trash. Content-wise I like NV over all other Fallouts and most WRPGs, including Witcher 3, for that matter. It's hard to just ignore the jank though. It's about on a level with Morrowind I'd say.

I feel like ME offered some weak WRPG content compared to New Vegas or even compared to what Bioware developed in the late 90s and early 2000s.
That's true. Fallout 1+2 are very different from 3+NV. I didn't like FO3, but I really liked NV. But F1+2 are true classics and like you said: It's hard to ignore the yank in the newer Fallout games. I played the GOTY-version of Fallout NV on PC, so I didn't have too many problems with bugs.

C'mon, these are quality games. And Gamestop wouldn't have games like Demon's Souls or Bayonetta in any list.
I wouldn't have Bayonetta in this list, too ;) But like I said: tastes differ.

Boss Man

Good list, I will add my ultimately meaningless disagreements:

1. Seems like some of the "PC" games like Portal and Skyrim got shafted really hard.
2. I don't understand how The Last of Us could be so high. I like UC2's spot, despite not personally being totally enamored with that game either.
3. I was gonna get pissy about Dark Souls until I saw Demon's Souls was right with it, good on you.

If it was my list I'd yank TLOU out and drop it above Mass Effect, then push everything else up.

The top three sandbox games should be Red Dead, Skyrim, and Minecraft in whatever order. <- Quality | Impact ->

Like always, I never vote on these but am always interested in what GAF thinks. No gripes about anything, but I will say I'm surprised to see GTA V at 21. Thought for sure it would have been top 10 lol.

It sometimes gets forgotten in the sea of classics on the PS2 gen, but the last generation had some absolutely fantastic games. Glad to see them being remembered well.

Fallout 3 being there and not New Vegas triggers me so much, this is my punishment for not voting. (edit: nevermind I'm dumb and can't read)

also journey in the top 25 is legitimately surprising

and while I'm at it, Super Mario Galaxy at 1 is great, not my first choice but probably the best 3rd person platformer I've ever played so I can't hate.

Last of Us at number 2 is expected but still blegh, Mass Effect 2 being that high makes me happy cause I know it'll set off the RPGCodex fans of the world but 1 should still be higher.

It sometimes gets forgotten in the sea of classics on the PS2 gen, but the last generation had some absolutely fantastic games. Glad to see them being remembered well.

Yeah, I still have a ton of shit to play on this. I'm still on this gen.

For PS3 I want to play: 3D Dot Game Heroes, Little Big Planet 2, Persona 4 Arena Ultimax, Persona 4, MAG, infamous 2, God of War III, Dragon Age Origins, Assassin's Creed, Assassin's Creed 2, Tekken Tag 2, The Resistance games

360: Eternal Sonata, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey

Wii: Super Mario Galaxy 2, Mad World, No More Heroes, No More Heroes II, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Super Paper Mario, Punch-Out, Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story

DS: Ace Attorney series, Professor Layton, The World Ends with You, Mario Kart DS, Mario & Luigi games, Scribblenauts

PSP: Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep, Jeanne D'Arc, Daxter, Secret Agent Clank, Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I'd argue Trails in the Sky deserves to carry the banner for the PSP list, rather than being thrown unceremoniously into the multi-platform pile. The Steam port didn't come until well into 2014, years after the initial PSP release. I'm aware the original Japanese PC release complicates things, but this being an English-language site, the amount of people that put it on their list because they played the original Japanese version of an RPG with a staggering amount of dialogue is negligible, if not nonexistent.

On that note, why are Portal, TF2, Alan Wake, and Mark of the Ninja heading up lists of platform exclusives rather than being considered multi-platform? Those were released day-and-date onto multiple platforms. (Okay, TF2 I can see the argument for since console support for it dropped off a cliff while it got tons of PC support and additions. Still, though.)

Moff

178. Half-Life 2: Episode Two - 4, 3 Honorable Mentions

wow, no surprise they never bothered to release a sequel

somehow I never noticed this vote, but my top 10 would surely have looked a lot different

in hindsight, I don't think it was a very strong generation, the next one is already a lot better. thanks mostly to Dark Souls I think, because finally gamers are taken seriously again. Even if Dark Souls was not my personal #1 of it's gen, it sure was the most important game in it.

Only 2 of the games I voted for made it to the top 25. Dunno if I should worry I'm disconnected from the rest of the community or not.

Anyways, I'm kind of puzzled about the inclusion of some games: I thought Final Fantasy Tactics and Persona 3 Portable didn't count. They would've been part of my list. (And my list would ended up looking even more disconnected, I guess).

I wasn't expecting to get quoted. It's neat to see that the top five games were all on my list, as well.

It would have been nice to see Xenoblade at least make the top ten, though.

Whoa interesting, what's the rationale for Galaxy 1 above Galaxy 2? I thought the general reception was that Galaxy 2 was a sequel that improved on everything.
I put Galaxy 1 over Galaxy 2 for the same reason I put Demon's Souls over Dark Souls: it came first and was therefore more impactful. Actually, Galaxy 2 didn't even make my honorable mentions. I was bored playing it because to me it felt too similar, too soon.

Van Bur3n

Damn, we let Last of Us snatch the second place!

Also, there isn't much diversity in that Top 10

Another thing that's quite lame. A majority of the top 10 is made up of Mario Galaxy, Souls, and Mass Effect. I would have just let one from those series in, especially since the likes of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls barely differ, but not my rules or my list.

Top Bottom