• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2013 Awards

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
BTW, thanks to Cheesemeister and timetokill for taking care of the threads this year again. And thanks to Cheesemeister PMing me yesterday for a reminder that time was almost up since I'd posted a lot in the thread without making a list, haha. I appreciate that.

Thinking about it a little more, my affinity data is probably odd to me considering there are more members now who post in threads I normally don't post in.

For comparison's sake:

Regular Edition

Unsurprised with some of the similarity results here. :D

Hipster Nerd Edition:
Fantastic.
I... pretty much know everyone on my regular list, and my hipster list is mostly filled with people who I know. We generally frequented and still do frequent the same threads.

2012:
Dark Schala
1. Gunloc (64)
2. Lissar (56)
3. Andrew J. (43)
4. Eusis (42)
5. swoon (41)
6. LiquidSolid (40)
6. Toki767 (40)
6. ULTROS! (40)
9. Gigglepoo (38)
9. Phantom Flapjack (38)
I pretty much recognize everyone here and trust their choices for the most part.

2013:

I know Volc, Gooster, Prinny, Chac, Sallokin and I know Salih from places.

Again, it kinda goes back to:
  • distribution of platforms on your list (ex: mine were 10% Apple, 20% multi, 10% PC, 60% Nintendo)
  • list closeness
  • probably not hanging around as much on GAF as I used to so half of my list is unfamiliar and I apologize for that since that is quite out of the ordinary to me since I generally have a grasp on everyone here

So, yeah. It's just interesting to me how it changed a little this year. While last year was a complete anomaly since I picked stuff I normally wouldn't, this year is more reflective of GAF's bigger size, and the distribution of posters who don't seem to usually post as much and making their voices heard.

Sendou

As someone who has Gears of War 3 as one of their ten favorite games of the generation, that was a pretty huge disappointment. They shipped with four deathmatch maps, bro

four

IV

as in less than five maps for the most popular gamemodes.

They made a lot of multiplayer changes that went against what I felt was the core flow and philosophy of Gears of War, balance went out the window, stupid control changes for no benefit whatsoever, spent a lot of dev time and money on a mode nobody wanted to play, whole thing was a mess. Campaign was boring, too, sorry NullPointer.

It just felt like a last-gen cashgrab. It wasn't even the best GoW last-gen cashgrab prequel to a popular trilogy release that month(God of War Ascension was better)!

Oh man this sounds so awful. Such a shame because I think Bulletstorm would have let you understand that the studio was capable of great things.

Arkam

Congrats to TLOU, even though i personally don't think it was the best of 2013. Also, impressed that Bioshock Infinite managed to beat GTA V, and MGR should had been higher.

Exactly my sentiments. TLOU was good but not great IMO. Not understanding the love. Especially if you played their Uncharted series.
And Bioshock? Really? Well to each their own.

Oh man this sounds so awful. Such a shame because I think Bulletstorm would have let you understand that the studio was capable of great things.

Oh yeah, I was a big fan of Bulletstorm and Painkiller, so this was really the worst of both worlds. They never got to follow up on Bulletstorm's ending and grow its ideas, and instead had to do a shit Gears of War prequel. Meh.

People with similar taste:

I've only been here for a few months now, so I know absolutely none of these people, haha.

Until now

tumblr_m2r3deR1Hd1qg8t4ro1_500.gif

Linkhero1

I didn't play much last year so my affinity with other users is pretty low. I'll check out some of their Game of the Year recommendations for sure. Unfortunately, many of the games I played in 2013 were from previous years since I'm catching up on my backlog. I'm almost guaranteed to have a small list for this year as well.

Zeno Clash, on the other hand, is something I outright think is a BIG deal and it's a shame more people didn't play it, for whatever reason/hang up there may have been. Definitely check out both games at some point whenever the mood strikes!

Don't worry, the game looks so fucking weird I think I'd be hard pressed not to try it.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Too bad more people didn't play Tearaway, normalized by the install base it could have been #1 or #2 easily.

Riposte

I thought it was really weird how Halo and Gears pretty much went the CoD route at around the same time. Unfortunate too, because those were like the last major holdouts.

Too bad more people didn't play Tearaway, normalized by the install base it could have been #1 or #2 easily.

Without normalizing any other consoles, I take it?

traveler

Not Wario
Too much positivity going on in this here thread. We need the option to "hurt" 10 games in future years, so we can get a hatred list for users we disagree with the most. Who cares who has a similar opinion- I need to know who has taste so incredibly bad that I should actually put them on the ignore list.

Pretty much what I expected for top ten. I'm a little surprised to see Bioshock higher than GTA though! I would've preferred to see Wonderful 101 higher than Metal Gear Rising since I think it's a better game, but more people probably played that so it's kind of expected.

Homies:
Recognized everyone besides Deactivision, I liked reading through the lists!

Top ten recommendations with comments in bold:
1. Fire Emblem Awakening | I've heard great things about this but I'm just not into SRPGs
2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds | In the middle of playing this right now, and I'm loving it
3. The Last of Us | I plan on picking this up eventually.
4. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD | I like Wind Waker a lot, but I have too much to play right now to really justify dropping money on this
5. Pikmin 3 | Never really got into the series on the Gamecube but this looks really good. Maybe one day if I have nothing to play I'll pick it up
6. Tearaway | I don't think this game is for me. I've dumped a few hours into it and I feel no desire to return. I don't really like it
7. New Super Luigi U | I still need to finish this, but I like what I've played
8. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA F | Not really into rhythm games
9. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies | I'd love to play this game... I still need to play through the rest of the series!
10. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag | I've never played one of these games and I don't really have any interest in this

If I remembered to edit my list before the deadline I probably would have replaced Senran Kagura with Battlefield 4. Been playing a lot of multiplayer on that lately.

The US demo thread is almost half as long as the OT. I don't think you guys will need any help getting it somewhere high up on the list.

yeah but Bravely Default isn't exactly the next Xenoblade, getting in top 15 twice
it probably actually needs the combined votes to place high

(or maybe all the Europeans didn't vote this year, who knows)

Too much positivity going on in this here thread. We need the option to "hurt" 10 games in future years, so we can get a hatred list for users we disagree with the most. Who cares who has a similar opinion- I need to know who has taste so incredibly bad that I should actually put them on the ignore list.
As a "hurt" list, do you mean having a thread of the ten worst games of the year? Or ten games the users find to be overrated?

It might be interesting, but a forum such as GAF is going to skew heavily towards the discerning category... most people here, I would assume, won't play many truly "bad" games in a year because of how closely we all follow pre-release information. It's easy to spot a terrible game well before making the investment to actually spend time playing it.

demidar

I thought it was really weird how Halo and Gears pretty much went the CoD route at around the same time. Unfortunate too, because those were like the last major holdouts.

The influence of CoD4 is undeniable, but influence can be good or bad, and in this case it made most FPSes chase after its structure and shoehorn multiplayer + XP progression in to pretty much everything.

Although I dropped those two franchises for another reason, I got fed up with how slow stick shooting is and went to kbam.

Very surprised to see Bioshock take the number 2 slot. I thought GTA had that in the bag for sure.

Campaign was boring, too, sorry NullPointer.
Hey now, Judgment had intense, varied, wall to wall combat from beginning to end. Thats really what I wanted in a post-Gears-3 s campaign. Not slow walks or turret sections or moping over lost loves. Sorry you didn't dig it ;p

traveler

Not Wario
As a "hurt" list, do you mean having a thread of the ten worst games of the year? Or ten games the users find to be overrated?

It might be interesting, but a forum such as GAF is going to skew heavily towards the discerning category... most people here, I would assume, won't play many truly "bad" games in a year because of how closely we all follow pre-release information. It's easy to spot a terrible game well before making the investment to actually spend time playing it.

I was joking. It would be a pretty terrible idea, both for the reason you mention and others. It was more of a way of pointing out just how different the vibe is across these types of threads. As silly as list threads are, there's undeniably more of a positive and celebratory attitude in these threads than in the bulk of discussion here. (Not that negativity is necessarily a bad thing)

That's just because nobody actually takes /v/ seriously.

I meant more that GAF, as a whole, LOVES Naughty Dog (Maybe the single most beloved studio around here? I guess one of the Nintendo's teams or Valve might also be in the running) and less that there are harsher critics out there, although the second follows naturally from the first.

Happy to see Tearaway at #9. Also, Vanishing Avatar, robotrock, UltimateIke, InvisibleStride, Notorious_Roy, Servbot24, Acquiescence, btkadams, SxP, Pie and Beans are my bros

Bro fist.

I know only know five of these guys by avatar and one by name. And one of these guys is banned. :p
Everyone knows me!

Except not really.

:(

Refyref is the only person on my list I actually know well. I recognize a few of the other names though.

Which is so odd, especially in Halo 4's case...the people are just gonna go play CoD instead of half-ass space CoD. You left with a game that's aimed at nobody. A year later, I forget it exists, and so did everyone else

ObFnbQh.png

antitrop

I meant more that GAF, as a whole, LOVES Naughty Dog (Maybe the single most beloved studio around here? I guess one of the Nintendo's teams or Valve might also be in the running) and less that there are harsher critics out there, although the second follows naturally from the first.

Yeah, but he was talking general, not just specifically about his own studio.

And you forgot Platinum. ;)

Assassin's Creed IV as #10? I completely agree.

Before I played the game, I didn't really think it could be that good. I played it on PS4, and the game is incredible. Lots of stuff to collect, upgrading the ship is fun, taking forts, ships, and hunting whales. It's a really fun game, and now I understand why it's on a few GOTY lists. It definitely is one of the better Assassin Creed's.

At first I thought GTAV was overrated, but after playing it. I can see how much love Rockstar put into that game so I can't even dare to criticize it.

For every game I played on that list, I think they mostly deserved their spot.

Nice list.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm glad that Antichamber made it into the ... well, top 50 anyway. Huzzah! Also, Tearaway in the top 10! I didn't expect there to be that many Vita owners - fantastic!

And with that, a short list of folks with impeccable taste:

Haha, you highlighted the two games I was most hoping would be somewhere. Antichamber in the top 50 (it was my #1 for the year), Tearaway in the top 10.

You are indeed a gentlemen of fine calibre.

I voted Infinite 2nd and GTA V 3rd on my goty list with TLOU as the winner. Just this morning I came into the realization that to me GTA V is a better game than Infinite, darn I wish I edited my vote last night lol.

2013 was probably the year where I played the least amount of games. I played like 4 2013 released games last year and 10 games from 2012 or older. Hoping that will change and i'm very much looking forward to what 2014 will bring. Gonna start this year right by playing Puppeteer, Teraway and other games on the current PSN sale.

Dark Souls 2, Uncharted, The Order, Second Son i'm coming for ya.

Levyne

Banned
Ah. I don't really know anyone on my affinity list. That actually makes me a bit sad.

Edit: Oh YES I remember Santiako's banners. Ok I am less bummed now. HARPIES.

Next year hope to see Stump pick my list or get a quote in the results OT. I guess in order for that to happen I need to stop sounding so negative even in my favorite games, haha.

I guess I recognize laughing banana but only really for the avatar :/

I voted Infinite 2nd and GTA V 3rd on my goty list with TLOU as the winner. Just this morning I came into the realization that to me GTA V is a better game than Infinite, darn I wish I edited my vote last night lol.

2013 was probably the year where I played the least amount of games. I played like 4 2013 released games last year and 10 games from 2012 or older. Hoping that will change and i'm very much looking forward to what 2014 will bring. Gonna start this year right by playing Puppeteer, Teraway and other games on the current PSN sale.

Dark Souls 2, Uncharted, The Order, Second Son i'm coming for ya.

switching 2nd and 3rd does nothing to change point totals :p

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm pretty sure people did that when we did a 2008 revote for MGS4 which still won.

Top Bottom