• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Top 50 Nintendo games of all Time

Marlowe89

I'm pretty damn pleased by this list, even if I'm a little disappointed that Pokemon Black/White didn't make it. Big thanks to the organizers and all the voters with good taste.

Very solid list. I think I had 5 or 6 of the top 10 on my list as well. Didn't expect Mario to dominate the top 10 by that much over Zelda but those are some damn fine games. Curious absence of Banjo-Kazooie anywhere in the results, though, as I definitely had it in my top 10. Well done, GAF.

The fact that Wii Sports made this list before:

actraisersnes.jpg

unsquadron28usa29snes.jpg

51tk9hnj3plsl500aa300.jpg

Is very disappointing and honestly unacceptable. But maybe GAF hasn't played these classics, to which I can only strongly recommend you do. Otherwise, great list.

Emitan

The fact that Wii Sports made this list before:

actraisersnes.jpg

unsquadron28usa29snes.jpg

51tk9hnj3plsl500aa300.jpg

Is very disappointing and honestly unacceptable. But maybe GAF hasn't played these classics, to which I can only strongly recommend you do. Otherwise, great list.

2 of those games weren't published by Nintendo...

backlot

This is the first time I've ever even heard of Wave Race on Gameboy. When is that coming to 3DS Virtual Console?

Cranzor

If it were up to me, Super Metroid and Ocarina of Time would be switched around and Super Mario World would be ahead of Super Mario Bros. 3. Also, Superstar Saga is way too far down. Good list though! I'm glad Mother 3 is so high.

SykoTech

World should be above Mario 3 since it has honorable mentions
and because it is obviously the better game.

Solid list. Melee and The Thousand Year Door should have been higher though. But at least Melee stomped the hell outta Brawl.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
X and Waverace GB higher than DK Jungle Beat and Mario & Luigi? Stop the world, I want to get off.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Played 46 out of the top 50. That's played, not completed. I'm counting a few games I've played a small parts of i.e. multiplayer.

OMT

I've actually played WaveRace GB. It was a pretty decent game as far as I remember. So much so that when WaveRace 64 was announced, I thought to my (11-year-old) self "hmm, that makes sense."

Izick

I personally think that SMB 3 should be somewhere in the top 3, but that's still a great list.

I'm glad that Gaf gives the love to Windwaker that it deserves.

I absolutely love that SMW and SMB3 ended up being tied.

Perfect in line with the eternal debate about which game is actually better.

Zero148

Very nice list, I wasn't able to vote because my account wasn't validated until today.

Personally, its nice to see that I have played 40 out of the top 50. But i didn't even know Wave Race for the Gameboy exists, i thought the N64 one was the first.

Amir0x

Banned
Mother 2 and 3 in the top 20, can't be too sad. Overall a pretty inoffensive list, although the lack of Pikmin 2 in the top 20 makes me :(

Murrah

Banned
Aside from OoT and SM64 both being ranked way too high, DKC1 over 2 and the lack of Kirby Mass Attack (come on guys), this list is pretty darn close to my own tastes. Glad to see I got a couple of quotes in there too

xandaca

Pretty good list, glad to see the game that would have been my first choice (GoldenEye) broke the top twenty. Pity I missed the original thread!

Super Metroid. :)

Kinda disappointed Zero Mission is so low given Super Metroid and especially Metroid Fusion's placement, but eh. Super Metroid was revolutionary whereas Zero Mission was merely a great game.

Glad to see F-Zero GX -- Nintendo game of the decade if you ask me -- get some love!

Amir0x

Banned
Okay, I also lol'ed at Mother 3 being in the top 25...a game that something like 80% of the world can't even play.

Just because it's slightly more inaccessible to get the english patch vs. in-store purchases doesn't mean 80% of the world can't play it. Everyone can play it, pretty much, you just have to be willing to put in a very small amount of effort and know where to find it.

Of course the fact that it is so high despite its accessibility issues in the market say tons about just how good the game is. I assume it must be similar for Xenoblade, but I sold my Wii before they made that Gamestop announcement so it'll be a long time before I find out.

I'm a little bit shocked that I've only played 41 of the top 50. (Missing Skyward Sword, Wave Race GB, Mother 3, F-Zero GX, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem GBA, Fire Emblem GCN, Paper Mario 2, Pikmin 2)

I'm a little surprised you missed Paper Mario 2, that seems like a game you'd really enjoy. I'm not sure what you felt about the first one though.

From a cursory glance, pretty sure I played every game in that top 50.

massoluk

Banned
I absolutely love that SMW and SMB3 ended up being tied.

Perfect in line with the eternal debate about which game is actually better.

The Legendary Beginning -> The Black Sheep -> The Master Piece -> The Master Piece's Rival

SMB1 -> SMB2 -> SMB3 -> SMW

SM64 -> SM Sunshine -> SMG1 -> SMG2

Mar

Take out Ocarina and it would be a perfect one two.

This list makes it painfully obvious how little Nintendo has done in regards to new IP for a very, very long time.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm a little surprised you missed Paper Mario 2, that seems like a game you'd really enjoy. I'm not sure what you felt about the first one though.

I liked PM a lot but lost my save file like 30 minutes before the end, never got around to replaying. I also never owned a GameCube, just bummed off my sister's on the early half of the generation when I was still living at home. I would have bought it to play on Wii, but I don't own a Wavebird and my shit isn't set up for controllers with cords. Ships in the night, I guess. I'm sure I'll figure out a way to play it in the run up to Paper Mario 3DS.

Anustart

Aside from OoT and SM64 both being ranked way too high

I agree with this sentiment. I grew up during the age of those games, and yes while they were great at the time, I feel that both series have had much better games since.

But other than a couple minor oddities, the list is great!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I must be the only person in the world who absolutely hates OOT. I first played it on the 3ds. I mean if it's so good it shouldn't matter what time was the time I first played it or what ever. Anyways... after playing okami and darksiders... the game just felt... so stale... simple... easy... Idk boring? ^.^ Zelda 2 was better imo.

Alrus

I must be the only person in the world who absolutely hates OOT. I first played it on the 3ds. I mean if it's so good it shouldn't matter what time was the time I first played it or what ever. Anyways... after playing okami and darksiders... the game just felt... so stale... simple... easy... Idk boring? ^.^ Zelda 2 was better imo.

You played Okami then think OoT is easy and simple? Not that I think OoT is overly complicated or hard but it trounces Okami in term of dungeons and puzzles (and pacing too).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Good job, GAF. Nice to see you guys made the right choices.

...cuz I kept revising my list and just decided not to post it in the end. LOL.

I love Majora's Mask more than OoT, but I can absolutely accept the top game. It's an extremely accessible game, open to everyone, with wonderful presentation. It really was one of the best games Nintendo has produced.

Top Bottom