• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Ball TV Series Announced: Dragon Ball Super

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magwik

Banned
I don't think that the animation should suffer as much as other Toei shows have. At least it should theoretically be consistently better than one piece due to not being restricted by catching up to the manga as well as it most likely won't be on air constantly

NeonZ

i'm sure the general plot will be at least fun but i'm really scared for the animation.

why did you have to say crystal though. barf.

Dragonball's designs are fairly simple, and this is a tv anime, not net animation like Soul of Gold or Sailor Moon Crystal. We probably will get tons of mediocre animation anyway since this is Toei, but we also probably will have a few well animated moments and melee fighting spread throughout.

I don't think that the animation should suffer as much as other Toei shows have. At least it should theoretically be consistently better than one piece due to not being restricted by catching up to the manga as well as it most likely won't be on air constantly

It's taking over Toriko's/Dragonball Kai's timeslot. It'll be a long running weekly show. I'd expect at least 50 episodes.

andymcc

Banned
Dragonball's designs are fairly simple, and this is a tv anime, not net animation like Soul of Gold or Sailor Moon Crystal. We probably will get tons of mediocre animation, but we also probably will have a few well animated moments and melee fighting spread throughout.

i'm hopeful for this as well. i mean, that pretty much describes namek arc onward DBZ lol.

Arkeband

Banned
Returning Character request:

latest

Malajax

As someone who owns all of Dragon ball/Z, this is fantastic news to wake up to. And it's starting soon! What an unbelievable time to be a DB fan.

andymcc

Banned
Eh.

People were getting impaled and blown to pieces in Z quite frequently.

Battle of Gods had none of that.

it's nothing compared to other shonen jump series printed alongside dragon ball. compare it to fist of the north star, bastard!! (which ran in weekly jump for while) or jojo's bizarre adventure....

Dragon Ball was always an easy series to market at families and kids.

marmoka

Banned
Are Toriyama and Toei out of money and they need to get some cash?

After 20 years, the series won't look the same for me.

Crocodile

*Well let's check GAF before I head off to teach my morning lab*

tumblr_lq3osalANs1r1gpe3o1_500.gif

WUT WUT WUT WUT

WHATYEARISIT?!?!

The fact that its starting so soon and that Modern Toei SUCKS gives me some trepidation though

Dryk

Judging from this thread the secret reasoning behind this existing might be Toriyama realising that people still think GT is canon.

Yes, that's what I didn't like in those shounen series, only 1-3 people are really strong and important, the rest not so.
I feel like we're in so deep already it'd be near impossible to fix. Failing setting the new show a long time ago in a galaxy far away (which I would totally be down for) the ship has sailed.

NeonZ

Pan seems to be at most 1 year old in Revival of F.

so is this gonna be cannon to the story line or will get the GT treatment?

Toriyama is working on the story (at least setting up the premise and characters), and supervising it, so it shouldn't be another GT.

ash_ag

Holy shit. And Toriyama is writing the story?! So, essentially the Dragon Ball renaissance that started with Battle of Gods is going full form. Can't wait to see how this turns out. Hope they focus on new characters besides the Z Fighters. It would be really, really cool if an entirely new character unrelated to Goku co-starred in this.

By the way, according to Xenoverse, GT is considered a separate/parallel timeline to the main Dragon Ball events (that is interacted with in a DLC pack). Perhaps that includes the whole anime version of the Dragon Ball sagas, with fillers and everything. Now, whether Xenoverse is considered part of Toriyama's vision is up to debate, since it didn't quite turn into an alternate version of DB Online as far as I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom