• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Ball TV Series Announced: Dragon Ball Super

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephzilla

I'd rather see Piccolo get a relevance buff again.

I saw some people just saying this fills in the gap between Z and GT. Is it confirmed that this is overriding GT?

To my knowledge GT hasn't been canon since Battle of the Gods, which I believe officially killed any GT canon.

Reuniting the franchise’s iconic characters, Dragon Ball Super will follow the aftermath of Goku’s fierce battle with Majin Buu, as he attempts to maintain earth’s fragile peace. Overseen by Dragon Ball’s original creator, Akira Toriyama and produced with Fuji Television, Dragon Ball Super will draw on its historic past to create a bold, new universe welcoming to fans and endearing to new viewers.
Fuji TV producer Osamu Nozaki commented on the new series as well, saying, “As I read the plot [of the series] I've already received from Akira Toriyama, my dreams for this begin to expand. An enemy even stronger than Buu or Freeza may appear...”
frnxxym1.gif

Sheroking

I have no interest in them powering up the human characters.

I don't see the point tbh. Goku and Vegeta are gods now. Everyone else is irrelevant. Those 2 cannot carry the show by themselves if you ask me.

Because I'm sure they're above powering up Gohan, Goten and Trunks.

Also, IMO, those two and Gohan basically carried Z for most of it's run and it's arguably the most popular anime ever for it.

Holy shit. I'm losing my shit. I mean, I've lost my shit so hard I'm not even sure I had shit to begin with.

Why did I have to read this news in the middle of a library.

With this coming out and erasing GT, and with Digimon Adventure Tri coming out and HOPEFULLY ignoring / erasing Adventure 02 (especially the epilogue) I am officially feeling 10 years old again.

Those teats ain't dry yet!

I'm honestly not looking forward to this. Toei Animation has been shit for years. Ask anyone who's watched some of their recent stuff (Sailor Moon Crystal, World Trigger, Toriko, the more recent One Piece episodes), and you'll get all these complaints about bad art direction, animation, pacing, etc. Hell, just look at some of the new animation for Kai. It looks awful, especially when juxtaposed with the original animation.

Basically, I'm expecting another GT. Willing to be proven wrong though.

Revven

GroupDance2.gif

I can't believe it's happening! After all these years... I always thought Toriyama had zero interest in doing a new series. I thought we were just going to get three movies (BoG, RoF, and then whatever the next one) but it's almost as if the movies released so far were to test the waters with the fanbase? Whatever the case, I'm excited! Please be good!

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Beerus flat said Goku was the 3rd strongest in the universe. God or otherwise.

Only weaker than himself and Whis.

Now, what will be interesting is if they keep Battle of God's as pure storyline canon and within the timeline of the show or they just forget about it.

I also wonder if they continue with the " God's " theme lately and have them going up against evil Kai's perhaps or other God's or whatever. That seems to be the way it is all going. Especially with Beerus mentioning there are 12 other universes all with their own God's and champions and whatnot.

Exactly, I mean how you can seriously compete with that? Power creep was the worst thing to happen to DBZ. I will floored if they're able to pull this off well despite the literal galaxy destroying abilities some of the people have.

Rainer70

I hope the next arc has a posse of villains so characters like Piccolo, Gohan, Goten, Trunks, etc. can have a shot at defeating someone major.

Sephzilla

Buu Saga "useless" Gohan is my favorite Gohan though. After the series stopped trying to shove him down everyone's throat he actually got to become a fun character.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Give it a few more years and the same thing is going to happen to Naruto
And another 20 or so years and it will happen to One Piece... or whenever that ends.
I mean, we got Dragon Ball games years after the series ended, and are still getting them.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I can't be the only one hyped for the new series just because we'll get Dragon Ball Super Abridged in the future, right?

Neoxon

I can't be the only one hyped for the new series just because we'll get Dragon Ball Super Abridged in the future, right?
This is basically half my hype, but I'm not sure how long of a time gap there has to be for TFS to do Super without pissing anyone off.

hamchan

Give it a few more years and the same thing is going to happen to Naruto
And another 20 or so years and it will happen to One Piece... or whenever that ends.
I mean, we got Dragon Ball games years after the series ended, and are still getting them.

Honestly though, why not. Western comics and cartoons can live on forever past their original creators. If they want to constantly put out new content for these series I'm not against it.

TreIII

Exactly, I mean how you can seriously compete with that? Power creep was the worst thing to happen to DBZ. I will floored if they're able to pull this off well despite the literal galaxy destroying abilities some of the people have.

My hope is that now that there's really not too many more ways to expand, power-wise, they may actually *gasp* focus on actual technique again!

Oh, and again, it can't be reiterated enough: mid tier guys like Gohan & Piccolo desperately need their own upgrades. Not only so they can compete, but so they can sell more merch!

NeonZ

I saw some people just saying this fills in the gap between Z and GT. Is it confirmed that this is overriding GT?

Revival of F pretty much makes GT impossible since Goku's and Vegeta's SSJ forms look different now.

Anyway, this new series is only confirmed to be post-Buu Saga and likely post-RoF. It's not yet confirmed to be post-last chapter of Z.

Gohan not sucking would be against his character. You know how he is after Cell. You saw him during Cell Games. The guy did not want to fight.

If anyone deserves to get his due, it's Tien. The guy is a fighter and always will be. He was basically the original Vegeta.

Swarna

I have no interest in them powering up the human characters.

Because I'm sure they're above powering up Gohan, Goten and Trunks.

Also, IMO, those two and Gohan basically carried Z for most of it's run and it's arguably the most popular anime ever for it.

There's literally nothing to indicate anyone other than Goku and Vegeta get to be relevant after the manga. Even the Uub gimmick was thrown in the dumpster.

And I don't agree about them carrying Z. There was a wider cast of relevancy with Piccolo, future Trunks, and the kids at different points in time. All DB related media since Z has been mainly Goku (Vegeta when we get lucky).

Servbot24

Banned
Seeing a human character anywhere in the same realm as a SSG would be a bit bizarre and world-breaking tbh, even for DB standards.

TreIII

This is basically half my hype, but I'm not sure how long of a time gap there has to be for TFS to do Super without pissing anyone off.

To be fair, I don't think they have a thing to worry about. Assuming TFS still stays the course, they still haven't even finished Cell saga yet, let alone Buu and any of the other movies they haven't gotten to.

Sheroking

There's literally nothing to indicate anyone other than Goku and Vegeta get to be relevant after the manga. Even the Uub gimmick was thrown in the dumpster.

And I don't agree about them carrying Z. There was a wider cast of relevancy with Piccolo, future Trunks, and the kids at different points in time. All DB related media since Z has been mainly Goku (Vegeta when we get lucky).

There was nothing to indicate Goku became a God after the manga run (prior to Battle of Gods), either. This is Dragon Ball, it would take them one contrivance and five chapters to give anyone a serious power boost.

As for Piccolo and Future Trunks, etc. They got to be relevant for like three times each in the run of the DBZ. Even Dragon Ball, which people like to claim was better about this than DBZ, basically introduced characters as relevant and rendered them mostly useless in the next saga. Only Goku and whoever his villain was at the time actually mattered in terms of power.

TreIII

I hope Future Trunks comes back as seceretly kills or sends current Trunks into the future so we can be left with the better Trunks

I'm willing to bet he'll come back in some way. Be it because all these "other dimensions" somehow involve him as well, or he may come back as some sort of tie-in to what DBO/Xenoverse suggested as his new lot in life with him getting a new job as a steward for the Supreme Kai of Time.

On that note, I'm sure Bamco is right up there with Toei and Funimation in salivating over this, as well. MORE DBZ GAMES TO PUBLISH.

That feeling of coming home from school and watching *new* Dragon Ball Z's was awesome. Oh god I'm getting hyped already

I had a feeling they were going to do this after BoG's success. So damn happy right now

KHlover

Banned
Well at least it will be new animation. Its probably going to look worse than one piece and be off model 90% of the time because they won't take breaks isn't it.
It's pretty hard to look worse than One Piece. The anime has some terrible animation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom