• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Info on Resident Evil 9, Code Veronica Remake, Zero Remake, Future Remakes, Remaster Collection, Capcom USA Influence, Cancelled Games & More

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

A few days ago, a leak was posted on this subreddit based on a video from Screenfire Germany. Unfortunately, the post contained mistranslations and combined personal speculation/ opinion with insider information. The post also didn't cover the whole video.

In the video, which is the recording of a livestream, Andi from Screenfire Germany answers questions from his community. I have watched (I'm German) and combined all the insider information he received from his sources. Some of his answers are vague, and it's not 100% clear where info from sources ends and speculation begins. I tried my best to separate it and only include insider info in this post. The video was published on May 12. Andi's last update from sources was around February/ March 2024, as stated in another video.

RESIDENT EVIL 9

-Resident Evil 9 began development as a multiplayer game in 2016/2017. The development was restarted at the end of 2018, and multiplayer was abandoned.

-Leon is the main character of the game.

-Jill will support him as a coop partner, similiar to what Sheva was to Chris in Resident Evil 5.

-Last year in August, Andi received information that Jill could potentially be cut as a coop partner.

-Resident Evil 9 will release in the first quarter of 2025.

VARIOUS REMAKES

-Little to no cut content for upcoming Remakes due to higher budgets than Resident Evil 2 and 3 Remake.

-Resident Evil 1 Reremake is being discussed, but not in development at the moment.

-Capcom USA has a say in creative decisions.

-Resident Evil 5 Remake is a hot topic. Capcom USA has concerns about the racism controvery. Capcom Japan is less concerned about this. Capcom wants to remake Resident Evil 5, but is unsure about how and when.

-Ashley Graham's Popstar outfit was removed from the Resident Evil 4 Remake because Capcom USA considered it too revealing. It was removed shortly before launch.

-A call was put out for a producer and director for Resident Evil 6 Remake, but no one was interested.

-No more content for Resident Evil 3 Remake. The game sold well enough, and Capcom won't revisit it.

-Resident Evil Revelations 1 Remake has been discussed at Capcom. Andi doesn't know the outcome.

RESIDENT EVIL CODE VERONICA REMAKE

-Resident Evil Code Veronica Remake has been in development for 18 months.

-Hirabayashi is working on it.

-Next game to release after Resident Evil 9.

-Opening sequence has been changed. Claire visits Umbrella HQ in Paris with a group of tourists and sneaks off to steal information. She gets caught and sent to Rockford Island. This section is, allegedly, playable. This replaces the helicopter opening.

-Steve is more likeable.

-Rodrigo's role has been expanded, similar to Luis in RE4R.

-Claire now fights Alexia.

-Chris fights Wesker.

RESIDENT EVIL ZERO REMAKE

-Resident Evil 0 Remake has been in development at M2 since 2023.

-Partner Zapping System returns.

-The game will have online coop.

CANCELLED GAMES

-Resident Evil Revelations 3 was in development as a Nintendo Switch exclusive starring Rebecca Chambers. Andi has heard that the game was cancelled.

-Resident Evil HANK was never a Hunk game. Andi doesn't know what happened to this game.

-Resident Evil Outrage was a Wesker game. Andi is not sure what it looked like exactly. It was cancelled because the quality was too low.

-This one is supposed to be taken with a massive grain of salt, according to Andi. Unconfirmed rumors have stated that the 2011 tsunami in Japan flooded offices, and files for Resident Evil 1, 2, 3, and Outbreak were lost. This is why there won't be a Remaster Collection unless Capcom decides to use AI in the future.

BONUS INFO

-No Dino Crisis Remake in development as of August 2023.

Resident Evil Sunglasses GIF by Xbox

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Also Claire pairing up with Leon seems fresh and weird at the same time.

Still need to play Village.

Was waiting to play it in VR but by now there's simply no way I'm going to get a VR headset, that ship has long sailed for me.

Will pick it up at a nice price when I finish my future PC build probably.

Last edited:

tkscz

At this point in the Switch's life I can understand cancelling RE: Revelations 3.

Taking this all with a grain of salt though, really wanting a Code Veronica remake

Jinzo Prime

I saw the post on r/gamingleaksandrumors but I felt that there was something missing, so thank you for property translating the source!

This is a lot of new information and I hope Capcom Japan ignores USA and just remake Resi 5, but not before building up Wesker a lot more. I want him to be a bigger threat/super villain for the events of 5 to have a bigger impact.

I know women be taking over the video game space but can we please play as one of the white bitches again? Fuck me. Remember Jill and Claire? I'd take a new white woman or even Sheva. So tired of Chris/Leon.

"B-B-But they sell."

RE sells by name alone. Stop the cap.

As someone who shits on Code Veronica I REALLY like the opening in Paris and I also really liked Steve but on some fundamental basics of RE game design Code Veronica completely fucking fails so it might be a good trade off to get a good game.

RE3 getting drive by treatment with the bare minimum content is frankly insulting, one of the best games in the series.

Revelations 3, RE IX and Code Veronica remake should be the focus. REmake and Zero do not need to be remade considering visually they probably look better than RE8 so.

Perrott

Yeah .. no.

Would have been announced by now.
Although I personally don't believe that RE9 would be coming out this FY, for all we know Capcom could be holding back its reveal until the PS5 Pro event at the end of summer, given the series tight partnership with PlayStation, and come out six months later in March 2025.

-Jill will support him as a coop partner, similiar to what Sheva was to Chris in Resident Evil 5.
Probably (will be) the most badass duo of the series.
-Resident Evil 1 Reremake is being discussed, but not in development at the moment.
Literally pointless.
Amazin, I very much play Japanese games to get more of USA... Truly Amazin.
-Resident Evil 5 Remake is a hot topic. Capcom USA has concerns about the racism controvery. Capcom Japan is less concerned about this.
If they made the game exactly like the original, literally nothing would happen. People would buy it, and a loud minority would whine.

Done and done. Nothing would happen.
-Ashley Graham's Popstar outfit was removed from the Resident Evil 4 Remake because Capcom USA considered it too revealing. It was removed shortly before launch.
Only "Safe Horny Lol Lmao" is allowed.
-A call was put out for a producer and director for Resident Evil 6 Remake, but no one was interested.
Jesus 😂😂
I love RE 6, but I totally understand.
-No more content for Resident Evil 3 Remake. The game sold well enough, and Capcom won't revisit it.
But they will revisit Resident Evil 1?...
One of the most perfect Remakes in gaming history?

Okay...
-Resident Evil Revelations 1 Remake has been discussed at Capcom. Andi doesn't know the outcome.
Why?
Cool!
-Steve is more likeable.
Changing his accent will make him 30 times more likable.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I am concerned about what a RE5 remake with Capcom USA involved "with creative decisions" would do to my wife Sheva.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
There’s so many remakes besides those I look at the RE franchise with respect they take time on their games and there’s no competition remember dead space? They’ve been MIA, resident evil always comes storming back with a game.

Astral Dog

Also no one asked for a Zero remake, please don't do that, ty.
RE0 is underrated , i will buy a Remake as long as its well crafted, the same with Code Veronica

If Capcom is willing and put real effort in it, lets see what they can add to the experience to improve it, though im not a fan of the way M2 handled the remake of Resident Evil 3, their expertise is on action games, they did a decent job on the action and visual quality in RE3 but messed other things (cut important sections, removed puzzles, boss battles, etc), if they develop Resident Evil Zero, i hope they learned and deliver a better product, the boss battles should be improved thanks to them but RE0 setting, atmosphere and overall design is closer to REmake1 its a survival horror game not just pure action they need to focus on the atmosphere ,level design and puzzles as well to deliver a more fleshed out game

Its gonna be pretty interesting to see what they do

This one is supposed to be taken with a massive grain of salt, according to Andi. Unconfirmed rumors have stated that the 2011 tsunami in Japan flooded offices, and files for Resident Evil 1, 2, 3, and Outbreak were lost. This is why there won't be a Remaster Collection unless Capcom decides to use AI in the future.
That does sound like bullshit. AFAIK Capcom Japan has only ever had offices in in Osaka and Tokyo, and neither of those cities experienced flooding due to the tsunami.

bumpkin

The RE5 controversy can fuck right off, IMHO. 80 plus percent of Africa’s population are black, and I’m sure it’s even higher in rural areas like the fictional province RE5 takes place in. It’s a goddamn video game, no real POC are being killed. People need to stop being so damn sensitive about works of fiction.

I played through RE5 more than any recent entry in the series, primarily because of the co-op, but largely because it was fun even if it’s not “scary”.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

That does sound like bullshit. AFAIK Capcom Japan has only ever had offices in in Osaka and Tokyo, and neither of those cities experienced flooding due to the tsunami.
Now wait a minute...I remember reading something from around then that an earthquake had damaged an important Capcom storage warehouse that contained prototype boards, dev units and all kinds of stuff. I particularly remember reading that the earthquake had caused water pipes to burst and everything that was stored below a certain height was ruined.

nbkicker

So just like we all no western parts of the company spoiling eastern games, usa capcom should not have any say in a japan capcom game

Idk why Capcom is so hung up on remakes. I know Residen Evil has a shit ton of games but they are running out of games to remake. And it's like every RE needs a remake. Give Code Veronica, RE5, and RE6 then we are good.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
There's always a wild claim buried away in a rumor that sinks the whole thing's credibility. This one has this nugget:

fbfYmOE.png

Just lmao.

Yep, most of these 'rumors' seem like he ran Dusk Golem's tweets through a 'copy my homework but change some words' filter.

Arachnid

Thank god for the focus on Leon. Unless she's brought more in line with VothJill, I have no interest in playing as her. Her remake version is the worst take in any of the remake characters.

Jesb

Mr. Ed's Member

A few days ago, a leak was posted on this subreddit based on a video from Screenfire Germany. Unfortunately, the post contained mistranslations and combined personal speculation/ opinion with insider information. The post also didn't cover the whole video.

In the video, which is the recording of a livestream, Andi from Screenfire Germany answers questions from his community. I have watched (I'm German) and combined all the insider information he received from his sources. Some of his answers are vague, and it's not 100% clear where info from sources ends and speculation begins. I tried my best to separate it and only include insider info in this post. The video was published on May 12. Andi's last update from sources was around February/ March 2024, as stated in another video.

RESIDENT EVIL 9

-Resident Evil 9 began development as a multiplayer game in 2016/2017. The development was restarted at the end of 2018, and multiplayer was abandoned.

A multiplayer game? That doesn’t make any sense.
-Leon is the main character of the game.

I’m not sure how I feel about them playing together. I like the feeling of feeling isolated and not having someone by my side. I like how RE2 did it where your with ada than are separated eventually and are looking for her to help her.
-Last year in August, Andi received information that Jill could potentially be cut as a coop partner.

-Resident Evil 9 will release in the first quarter of 2025.

VARIOUS REMAKES

-Little to no cut content for upcoming Remakes due to higher budgets than Resident Evil 2 and 3 Remake.

I sure hope so. We need these remakes to be more like RE2 and less like RE3 in terms of content.
I’d prefer this over RE5. But I’m not sure how they go about it. I find that the REmake is perfect and I’d be fine if it all mostly the same game with just a new coat of paint.

-Resident Evil 5 Remake is a hot topic. Capcom USA has concerns about the racism controvery. Capcom Japan is less concerned about this. Capcom wants to remake Resident Evil 5, but is unsure about how and when.

Just leave RE6 lol. Nobody cares about this.

Was anyone actually expecting anything more?

RESIDENT EVIL CODE VERONICA REMAKE

-Hirabayashi is working on it.

-Next game to release after Resident Evil 9.

-Opening sequence has been changed. Claire visits Umbrella HQ in Paris with a group of tourists and sneaks off to steal information. She gets caught and sent to Rockford Island. This section is, allegedly, playable. This replaces the helicopter opening.

God no, not the helicopter scene. 🥹. I was recently just saying how I hope that scene stays/gets expanded on.
-Steve is more likeable.

-Rodrigo's role has been expanded, similar to Luis in RE4R.

-Claire now fights Alexia.

-Chris fights Wesker.

RESIDENT EVIL ZERO REMAKE

-Resident Evil 0 Remake has been in development at M2 since 2023.

-Partner Zapping System returns.

-The game will have online coop.
Meh. Nothing very exciting here.

CANCELLED GAMES

-Resident Evil Revelations 3 was in development as a Nintendo Switch exclusive starring Rebecca Chambers. Andi has heard that the game was cancelled.
Thats too bad. I was thinking that Capcom has been prepping some kind of RE for the switch. I do see them getting the remakes at some point.

-Resident Evil HANK was never a Hunk game. Andi doesn't know what happened to this game.

-Resident Evil Outrage was a Wesker game. Andi is not sure what it looked like exactly. It was cancelled because the quality was too low.

This is depressing. I have always thought Wesker should have had his own game where he is the main character. Awful to hear they were doing one and cancelled it. They need to revisit this idea again.
-This one is supposed to be taken with a massive grain of salt, according to Andi. Unconfirmed rumors have stated that the 2011 tsunami in Japan flooded offices, and files for Resident Evil 1, 2, 3, and Outbreak were lost. This is why there won't be a Remaster Collection unless Capcom decides to use AI in the future.

BONUS INFO

-No Dino Crisis Remake in development as of August 2023.

Resident Evil Sunglasses GIF by Xbox

Draugoth

Gold Member
Why would they release RE9 in Q1 2025 when they already have MH Wilds scheduled for that time?

Last edited:
Now wait a minute...I remember reading something from around then that an earthquake had damaged an important Capcom storage warehouse that contained prototype boards, dev units and all kinds of stuff. I particularly remember reading that the earthquake had caused water pipes to burst and everything that was stored below a certain height was ruined.
There was a press release a few days after their earthquake where they reported damages to some of their arcades in the affected areas. I can maybe see them storing arcade boards or whatever in those locations, but the source code and files for console games? That seems kind of odd.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
There's always a wild claim buried away in a rumor that sinks the whole thing's credibility. This one has this nugget:

fbfYmOE.png

Just lmao.
You would think this excuse wouldn't get thrown around after Konami's Silent Hill HD Collection and Bluepoint shooting them down because they Remaster from the retail disc

Kokoloko85

I hope they dont cut content from CV or Zero. Just fix the item issues and save points. Keep all the areas and content of the game

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Yep, most of these 'rumors' seem like he ran Dusk Golem's tweets through a 'copy my homework but change some words' filter.

Agreed.

I'm not really buying any of it.

We know RE9 is coming and clearly we know they will continue to do remakes.

RE0 made before RE1 seems odd and unlikely

The rest of the comments about Capcom USA sound so fake and forced, like they are looking for some narrative or some self serving type of thing to say or something that it comes across as fake.

As in, this is what we THINK people want to hear.

The rest of it sounds fake as fuck

-Steve is more likeable. (subjective as I liked him in the original, someone can like him in a remake)

-Claire now fights Alexia. (Sheeeee always fights her, fuck are you talking about)

-Chris fights Wesker. (um...ok, like he does in the original, fuck is this person talking about)

None of that is some wild "leak"

Here I can spread the same horse shit.

RE1 remake LEAK BROZ

-Dogs will now bite

-Chris now fights the shark

-Richard NOW gets bit by snake

-Richard more likeable

Top Bottom