• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo Direct upcoming Live on September 1st at 16:00 CEST for 3DS

oti

Banned
I appreciate them being upfront about what will be talked about, at least.

That said, this is probably gonna be a snoozefest.

Oh god could you imagine the nuclear GAF meltdown if they didn't disclose that upfront? GAF's servers would melt immediately after the broadcast.

My list of already-known stuff that could appear in the direct.

CrHcIRTXgAQ8r5k.jpg

The verbiage is that it's EXCLUSIVELY focused on 3DS. Chances of Wii U or NX info are next to none.

CrHfrRVW8AA96fg.jpg

That is seriously the most boring and uninteresting lineup for a Direct I have ever seen. Not a single thing in there interests me.

kunonabi

Can't say I'm surprised by 3DS direct considering how much they ignored at e3. 3DS has a really 2016 but it would be even better if they announced a culdcept localization.

LoveCake

I hope I made it clear enough in the op that this Direct is not about NX.

I admit I sped-read it, I did edit and change my comment before you quoted, I just don't know how they can keep going so long without saying anything, that's all, would a sneak image or something be out of the question though?

I guess it makes sense to only talk about products currently on market as they're getting ready for the holiday quarter starting next month. Need a more focused message for consumers.

Maybe they really won't talk about NX until January.
Waiting until January is fine by me. Delay the system if need be.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Completely forgot about Ever Oasis and the Animal Crossing fall update. Those are almost locks.

maxcriden

Seriously, and think about it: Nintendo's remasters have sold well. Wind Waker HD, Ocarina of Time 3D, Majora's Mask 3D, etc. It isn't out of the question that they'd have commissioned another remaster for this holiday season. Mario Galaxy would be a great game to choose.

Hm, I thought they said SMG port was the prototype that became 3DL because it didn't run as they wished? Maybe they got it to work better... or, maybe they got it to work better on N3DS but I would be very surprised if they released such a major title as a N3DS exclusive (and the 3DS remasters have definitely been major titles for the system, as you said).

Of course, a SMG3 would be even cooler, but, see my reply below.

3D Land 2.

Please Nintendo.

Seemed likelier before Miyamoto-san's E3 comments regarding seeing a new Mario next year (implying, at the earliest). 3D seemed implied but it was unclear.

--

I don't want to be shooting down any Mario games' likelihood of coming. I want very badly for them to come. Just trying to temper my expectations a bit.

Something is up.
Why on earth would Regie announce the Galaxy 3DS when they hold a Direct 3 days later? Makes no sense.

After some thinking here are scenarios I came up with, in no particular order:
  • NoA didn't knew about Direct until yesterday, communication at Nintendo keeps sucking.
  • The Galaxy-Style New Nintendo 3DS XL (further referred to as Gal3DS) is available in stores now/soon, since it arrived now/soon, and the thing is, it was supposed to arrive earlier and doesn't really tie into whatever things that are in the Direct (maybe even a 3DS price cut announcement, or maybe just the format has changed, or maybe something different).
  • The Gal3DS is in stores now/soon, but it was supposed to arrive later, however Nintendo didn't want to play the PS4 Slim game for a rather mediocre system color variety.
  • The Gal3DS was pushed aiming at parents giving their kids a last minute departure-to-remote-school gift or something like that. I don't know, this sounds stupid, but so do all the back-to-school game deals. (not as deals mind you)
  • The Gal3DS is an eyesore to a high-ranking NCL executive and was not approved to appear in main Direct.
  • The Direct is, defying all the NXpectations, going to contain something potentially lowering value of Gal3DS. This something may not even be announced in America if it's more substantial than proposition above, but Nintendo ain't stupid enough to think you won't realize this, otherwise they would still probably be surprised we know of Mother 3 existing.

Waiting until January is fine by me. Delay the system if need be.

True. I'd really like to see Nintendo completely bottom out before watching them resurge, stronger than ever. We're getting close. Just a couple more months of silence or totally tone-deaf responses!

Neoxon

Seriously, and think about it: Nintendo's remasters have sold well. Wind Waker HD, Ocarina of Time 3D, Majora's Mask 3D, etc. It isn't out of the question that they'd have commissioned another remaster for this holiday season. Mario Galaxy would be a great game to choose.
But at the same time, the 3DS is almost dead & Sun/Moon will be more than up to the task of moving units this holiday season. No use in wasting a golden goose like SMG 1 & 2 remasters on the 3DS when such remasters could be saved for the NX.

Knowning Nintendo, 3DS ports of the SMG games could still happen, but it would be a pretty dumb move considering that the 3DS is near the end of its life.

BD1

Banned
The only sliver of hope I'll allow myself is that maybe they will announce the NX reveal date, but who am I kidding?

random25

I hope the surprise announcement is Devil Survivor 3. I mean, c'mon Atlus. You can't spell Devil Survivor 3 without 3DS.

Anarky

Banned
If I don't hear the words 'Mother 3' or 'Great Ace Attorney localization' then this direct is gonna be a waste of time.

True. I'd really like to see Nintendo completely bottom out before watching them resurge, stronger than ever. We're getting close. Just a couple more months of silence or totally tone-deaf responses!
Nah it's more that I'm a patient person and a delay is not the end of the world.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Capcom's Hiroyuki Kobayashi retweeted Direct announcement:

Monster Hunter Stories?

Well, yeah, it was a given to see MHStories in the Japanese Direct, after all.

Ah, the retweet valzer, it's been so long, lol

EDIT: Wait, from what I've seen he's not been involved with MH titles at all so far, unless I missed the news he's working on Stories.

Red Devil

If there is even a mention of the NX in this direct then Gaf will meltdown! is there a back-up?

Probably even if they say something like they aren't talking about NX at the direct during the direct.

Maybe Nintendo will announce one new and last big Title for the holidays (another N64 Remake?)

That's been announced months ago, it's called Pokémon Sun/Moon.

3D Land 2.

Please Nintendo.

Should've been 3D World 2,
or an expansion ala New Super Luigi U
. :(

L Thammy

I don't think he's involved with that, is he?

There were multiple portable Sengoku Basara titles on the PSP; if he's anything he's involved with is going to be there, I think that's a possibility. But it's more likely an unrelated Capcom thing I guess.

LMAO

3DS is my favorite system of all time, so I'm always down for new announcements. But damn do I want NX news already. Jeez.

Well all aboard a couple more unannounced games I guess. Hopefully they reveal the NX announcement date too.

Hydrus

My list of already-known stuff that could appear in the direct.

CrHcIRTXgAQ8r5k.jpg

The verbiage is that it's EXCLUSIVELY focused on 3DS. Chances of Wii U or NX info are next to none.

CrHfrRVW8AA96fg.jpg

Cant imagine a price cut, when they just announced the $199 galaxy 3ds.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Super Mario Sunshine with its full utilization of the analogue L and R triggers and the Galaxy games with motion controls both have pretty unique control schemes, don't know how good they'd work on the go, and I wouldn't want to collect star bits on the bottom 4:3 screen or use the stylus at all for example.

Ironically, with the GameCube adapter, Sunshine would have worked amazingly on Wii U.

Monster Hunter Stories?

For Japan? Definitely.

Nah it's more that I'm a patient person and a delay is not the end of the world.

Nintendo has delayed and delayed at this point though. There's a point when that starts to look less like careful planning and more like they aren't sure what to do.

I'd say unless they have something very exciting to show 3DS owners, doing a direct at this point focused on 3DS starts to make it look like they don't have much of a big picture plan.

Chronos24

Here's my thought on this. Why have a direct on the 3DS when essentially the NX will both be mobile and a home console in 1...supposedly. this makes me question the validity of recent rumors on what the NX is supposed to be. I guess we'll see, but still I'm not sure why a direct would focus solely on 3DS.

Top Bottom