• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New #PowerYourDreams commercial for Xbox Series X|S

supernova8

Banned
We had an equally bullshit Playstation commercial recently. Two in fact! This was Xbox's chance to break the mould and actually do something interesting.

I want a "Apple vs Microsoft" level of "freshness" in these, as usual, boring and predictable commercials.

Hell even recruit Jerry Lambert (you may remember him as Kevin Butler - the PS3 man) and intentionally make a joke about how he used to play consoles designed with boomerang controllers or something.

Have fun with it!

Sick of these pointless, absolutely nonsensical commercials from both Sony and Microsoft.

We had an equally bullshit Playstation commercial recently. Two in fact! This was Xbox's chance to break the mould and actually do something interesting.

I want a "Apple vs Microsoft" level of "freshness" in these, as usual, boring and predictable commercials.

Hell even recruit Jerry Lambert (you may remember him as Kevin Butler - the PS3 man) and intentionally make a joke about how he used to play consoles designed with boomerang controllers or something.

Have fun with it!

Sick of these pointless, absolutely nonsensical commercials from both Sony and Microsoft.
Just like your pointless, absolutely nonsensical comment.

it’s dumb . There is no actual real game let alone many real games which you would want to see when talking about a video game console.

But yall were busting a nut over that Ships Sailing fest Sony commercial with no game footages, but it was a 2nd coming "Oh shi that's fiyah!!" Maan, ya too predictable..shit like that will never change on SonyGAF anyway.

These commercial are aimed from a different perspective..but you not that stupid or acting dum-dum? to understand that Right?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
But yall were busting a nut over that Ships Sailing fest Sony commercial with no game footages, but it was a 2nd coming "Oh shi that's fiyah!!" Maan, ya too predictable..shit like that will never change on SonyGAF anyway.

These commercial are aimed from a different perspective..but you not that stupid or acting dum-dum? to understand that Right?

Did you eve read my first post?

Well I guess Sony couldn’t be the only one to have a console commercial that’s not about gaming.

...for those of you interested, this right here is regarded by many as the single best piece of video game advertising ever made, and is still taught in marketing lessons:

It's fucking sublime - for many reasons I don't have time to go into now.

That is funny. So people want to criticize the Xbox Series X "Power Your Dreams" commercial in the OP because they don't see any gameplay or games or whatever but this "single best piece of video game advertising ever made" didn't show us any games in its commercial either. Make up your mind. Do you want to see games in your commercial about a console that plays games or don't you?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
That advert is just awful imho. Its just empty flash that makes the Playstation equivalents look Oscar-worthy by comparison.

Not sure what sort of emotional response they were looking for, total flatline for me.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

With all those bans recently "sonygaf" is really unfounded...

Joe T.

That ad fell flat with me mostly because it dedicated so much screen time to Master Chief, doesn't land so well after the mess with Halo Infinite and its delay. It reminded me of the copy/paste areas of the gameplay reveal, too.

Screenshot-6016.png

jOk674e.jpg

jakinov

Overall I think the trailer was pretty bad. The trailer was pretty. But I think if I didn't know it was an Xbox trailer and If i didn't know who master chief was, I'd think this was some music or headphones commercial until the end. I don't think the video makes it clear the whole time he's being immersed in video games. The fact that the humming/singing starts when he puts on the headphones and they also only show him touching headphones before they transition into the immersed reality further gives off the idea that it's selling you on something music related. Then The ending finishes off with only a couple of seconds of text saying that it's a new Xbox and what the name is. No voice over just a quick showing of text that's not memorable and can easily be missed. Visuals and music were good but the commercial was poorly designed.

Kagey K

Banned
That advert is just awful imho. Its just empty flash that makes the Playstation equivalents look Oscar-worthy by comparison.

Not sure what sort of emotional response they were looking for, total flatline for me.

Lets be honest, nothing they could do would have measured for you.
That ad fell flat with me mostly because it dedicated so much screen time to Master Chief, doesn't land so well after the mess with Halo Infinite and its delay. It reminded me of the copy/paste areas of the gameplay reveal, too.

Screenshot-6016.png

jOk674e.jpg
There are a bunch of Halo games that are going to playable on Day 1 for people that saw the ad and bought it.

Infinite delay or not.

Better than both PlayStation commercials imo. This one was more to the point, had a recognizable actor, and had a recognizable game mascot which sells you the idea it's a game's related commercial. I like it.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

That is funny. So people want to criticize the Xbox Series X "Power Your Dreams" commercial in the OP because they don't see any gameplay or games or whatever but this "single best piece of video game advertising ever made" didn't show us any games in its commercial either. Make up your mind. Do you want to see games in your commercial about a console that plays games or don't you?

That advert was done in 1999 or so, which was the second or third phase the Playstation was entering. Early adaptors had it, then gamers had it. And from there the system went mainstream and really cheap. No need to show gameplay, the system was 4 years old. Gameplay footage of the PS1 had long been shown since 1995 lol.

Last edited:
That advert was done in 1999 or so, which was the second or third phase the Playstation was entering. Early adaptors had it, then gamers had it. And from there the system went mainstream and really cheap. No need to show gameplay, the system was 4 years old. Gameplay footage of the PS1 had long been shown since 1995 lol.
Right, but what does it have to do with Xbox entering a new console generation?

If you are going to compare commercials, then at least stick to recent ones such as PlayStation's "The Edge - Play Has No Limits" which only got interesting right at the end. Meanwhile, only 15 seconds into Xbox's "Us Dreamers" commercial and I'm seeing the player transported to a virtual world, and 30 seconds in we get a nice close-up of their mascot character Master Chief from Halo. No, it's not the best video game commercial (and to be fair, this thread was never about that) but we will probably see variations of it for other Xbox IPs including newly acquired ones.

I'm not really a fan of Xbox to begin with but I do like their slogan, "Power Your Dreams". I think it's catchy, emphasizes the console is powerful, and reminds me of when Peter Moore talked about games being like lucid dreams. Not quite as simple as "Jump In" but still interesting in my opinion.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Lets be honest, nothing they could do would have measured for you.

I always give credit where its due if that's my honest opinion.

In this case my opinion is that the ad fails to really sell... anything. I mean, without re-watching the ad, tell me what you saw and what you felt it all meant.

My takeaway was it was Daniel Kaluuya (who I like), Master Chief, some colorful abstract landscapes and planets and that's it. How am I supposed to feel? CG in itself doesn't wow me anymore, its ubiquitous at this point.

Really liked the ad personally. Nicely nails the feeling of sitting down to relax after a long days work and having many options in terms of worlds to get lost in. Which personally, is the best feeling I have concerning gaming.

I've watched it several times now actually. The music is really cool and something I didn't think would go with that type of futuristic setting.

DaGwaphics

It definitely feels like one of those ads where there are a ton of Easter eggs, but you have no idea what to look for yet. Can't wait to start hearing about all these projects the first-party studios must be working on. There's what 20+ and they all must be working on something.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Haha so both ads have a black person as the main focus. I wonder if it's because of a social media outrage thing?!?! Corporations really do care.

Papacheeks

Banned
Just make some fucking quality software Microsoft. I get it, your trying to be all social and have artistic expression with this cool psychedelia experiment. But seriously this wont make anyone view xbox in a different light that will amount to anything.

Just concentrate on making quality software, and manage your shit correctly.

Bernkastel

Just make some fucking quality software Microsoft. I get it, your trying to be all social and have artistic expression with this cool psychedelia experiment. But seriously this wont make anyone view xbox in a different light that will amount to anything.

Just concentrate on making quality software, and manage your shit correctly.
Dont worry they spend less doing these things then the other console. Its not the job of the marketing department to make games.

Atrus

Gold Member
Who is MoonLiteWolf and why was she chosen to visualize a dream for? Based on the results I'd have lied about the premise and made it more XBOX, Microsoft or even gaming related than bunnies, whales, flying and forests. MoonLiteWolf's targeted dream doesn't really say much about the brand or gaming in general.

I liked the music at the end with Master Chief DJ'ing but the first 90% could have been much better,

Papacheeks

Banned
Dont worry they spend less doing these things then the other console. Its not the job of the marketing department to make games.

Well regardless if the other console does this, the other console has a slate of games already announced, and shown that we know are coming soon. Microsoft has a bunch of delays, CGI trailers and unproven teams that need to make quality games.

Because thats the biggest L on the internet right now. Is one platform has been under-promising over delivering the other is is over promising and not delivering and it's not like this is a one time occurrence.

Top Bottom