• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS5 model lighter, uses less W, and possibly more efficient in cooling

Melchiah

I'm gonna be honest with you mate, I have no idea what you're trying to argue here. The coil whine is widely reported. What point are you trying to make here? That the PS4 pro is louder? It certainly isn't from my experience.

You can doubt all you want. The feeling is mutual, because I don't believe for even a second that you can hear your PS4 pro from three rooms away. The fans are nowhere near large enough for that to even be possible.
That the coil whine would actually be LOUDER than the more widely reported Pro's fan noise, and thus making the PS5 the loudest console ever. The fact that many of the videos representing coil whine have to put the mic right next to the system speaks volumes.

It's funny, that you put a personal experience of an unusually silent Pro over widely reported issues of its fan noise, while doing the exact opposite when it comes coil whine. It's all the same to me if you don't believe the fan noise can be heard three rooms away. Most of us don't live in a mansion. You have been very lucky to get two Pros without excessive fan noise. Far luckier than getting a PS5 without a bothersome coil whine.

Rayderism

I guess I'm just lucky then because my PS5 is very quiet, no coil whine at all. I have to get within a foot of it just to hear the fan. The loudest thing about my PS5 is the beep when I turn it on. Never put a disk in the drive to hear what that sounds like.

Of course, I'm 54 so maybe I just can't hear coil whine anymore. I dunno.

From my own experience, the ps5 is much louder than the XSX. So far the |X is silent (even when disc in drive) compared to the PS5. Ps5 for me is LOUD, I can hear it ramp up the fans (I have it behind my tv, to the side for disc access), and the X on opposite side I never hear. While it doesn’t bother me, I do definitely notice it.

reinking

Gold Member
From my own experience, the ps5 is much louder than the XSX. So far the |X is silent (even when disc in drive) compared to the PS5. Ps5 for me is LOUD, I can hear it ramp up the fans (I have it behind my tv, to the side for disc access), and the X on opposite side I never hear. While it doesn’t bother me, I do definitely notice it.
Anecdotal. I have two PS5's and an XBSX. I can't hear any of the three under normal circumstances. Discs in any of the three are loud (compared to the very quiet systems) but my XBSX disc drive is louder than both of the PS5's. It is loud enough I almost returned it when I first got it. Then I realized it would be easier to buy digital than to try and replace it during launch.

ZoukGalaxy

tom hardy bane GIF

I have the original disc version from release and I can't hear anything except the subtle sound of the fan at maybe two feet away and it's whisper quiet!
I confirm this.
Not a single coil whine never heard from mine too. Even closer.
The only whine I ever heard is from them, crying that's it's not true.
Cheddar Cheese Crying GIF by Dietz & Watson

Some people just refuse to accept they lost the lottery, it's unbelievable and hilarious, they end to accuse your hearings "capabilities" then.
Big Mouth Lol GIF by MOODMAN

bboris77

Neo Member
My PS4 Pro also had coil whine that varied in frequency depending on the frame rate, but it was completely overpowered by the jet-engine exhaust fan. The "problem" with my launch PS5 and my CF-1200 series PS5 is that their fan is literally inaudible. Therefore, any other noise coming from the console seems a lot worse. Like I mentioned in my original post, the coil whine is still there depending on what kind of frame rates the PS5 is pushing, but it is much more subtle on the new PS5 version, to the point that it is not a factor anymore, even in a very quiet room.

Anecdotal. I have two PS5's and an XBSX. I can't hear any of the three under normal circumstances. Discs in any of the three are loud (compared to the very quiet systems) but my XBSX disc drive is louder than both of the PS5's. It is loud enough I almost returned it when I first got it. Then I realized it would be easier to buy digital than to try and replace it during launch.
That’s interesting! I wonder if there’s a diff drive manufacturer. The loudness of my ps5 is def making switch to digital (I’ve gone full digital on S|X for the ease of it).

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Got the DE edition last November from Sony Direct. A year later, still going strong, silent, no whine, etc..

I've seen the new God of War model in action (the physical version) and you're lucky you got the DE, cause the disc drive is fucking looooooooud when installing stuff.

solidus12

I've seen the new God of War model in action (the physical version) and you're lucky you got the DE, cause the disc drive is fucking looooooooud when installing stuff.
Can you check for me if his PS5 does this mechanical noise when it’s turned on with no disc inserted?

Mike does this every time I turned it on when no disc is in.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Weird, my launch PS5 (digital) is super silent even at heavy load 🤔

Rykan

That the coil whine would actually be LOUDER than the more widely reported Pro's fan noise, and thus making the PS5 the loudest console ever. The fact that many of the videos representing coil whine have to put the mic right next to the system speaks volumes.
No, that fact doesn't "Speak volumes" at all. The vast majority of videos that have recorded these issues do so using a mobile phone, a device that is not at all properly equipped to handle sound recording well for anything that is more than a few meters away. PS4 pro's fan noise being more widely reported on is very, VERY debatable.
It's funny, that you put a personal experience of an unusually silent Pro over widely reported issues of its fan noise, while doing the exact opposite when it comes coil whine.
The only thing that's funny is the strawman you're trying to pull here. Here is what I've actually said:

1. My PS5 is the loudest console that I have owned
2: The PS5 was significantly louder than both PS4 Pro's I've owned.

At no point have I not made it abundantly clear that I was speaking about my own experiences. I have not made any broad or absolute statements that the PS4 Pro fans are louders than PS5's coil whine or vice versa other than my own experiences. The only statement I've made that was not solely based on my own experience was the claim that PS5 coil whine is widely reported on, which is an easy demonstrable fact.
It's all the same to me if you don't believe the fan noise can be heard three rooms away. Most of us don't live in a mansion. You have been very lucky to get two Pros without excessive fan noise. Far luckier than getting a PS5 without a bothersome coil whine.
Nice, trying to defend a physical impossibility with another hyperbole. You don't have to live in a mansion to understand how comically impossible it really is. The tiny fans in the PS4 pro are literally not capable of producing that much noise that you can hear them in any kind of establishment from three rooms away. Just acknowledge that this was an absurd hyperbole and move on.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Can you check for me if his PS5 does this mechanical noise when it’s turned on with no disc inserted?

Are you talking about the little spring-loading type sound ? Sure I'll check.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
He's forgetting the Series X uses a vapor charmber cooling. That also more expensive than standard cooling
True, when they explaining vapor chamber for RTX4090 lately, there is a lot of things involved, it really impressed me how hard is it to get right. I will video if I found it.

Here, it's related to any vapor changer cooling.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Seems like there is a similar sound, but its not as clear (might be because of the phone mic). It sounds like the disc tray initializing which gets drowned out by the disc spinning sound if you have one inside.

FrankWza

I confirm this.
Not a single coil whine never heard from mine too. Even closer.
The only whine I ever heard is from them, crying that's it's not true.
Cheddar Cheese Crying GIF by Dietz & Watson

Some people just refuse to accept they lost the lottery, it's unbelievable and hilarious, they end to accuse your hearings "capabilities" then.
Big Mouth Lol GIF by MOODMAN
There was a guy last year who tried out like 10 PS5s because he kept hearing coil whine and then he banned himself because he couldn’t believe there were PS5s that you couldn’t hear unless you put your ear up close.
Classic Film Smiling GIF

acm2000

There was a guy last year who tried out like 10 PS5s because he kept hearing coil whine and then he banned himself because he couldn’t believe there were PS5s that you couldn’t hear unless you put your ear up close.
Classic Film Smiling GIF
To be fair, not all of us can even hear it, very much depending on what frequencies it produces and what you're ears can still hear.

Melchiah

No, that fact doesn't "Speak volumes" at all. The vast majority of videos that have recorded these issues do so using a mobile phone, a device that is not at all properly equipped to handle sound recording well for anything that is more than a few meters away. PS4 pro's fan noise being more widely reported on is very, VERY debatable.

The only thing that's funny is the strawman you're trying to pull here. Here is what I've actually said:

1. My PS5 is the loudest console that I have owned
2: The PS5 was significantly louder than both PS4 Pro's I've owned.

At no point have I not made it abundantly clear that I was speaking about my own experiences. I have not made any broad or absolute statements that the PS4 Pro fans are louders than PS5's coil whine or vice versa other than my own experiences. The only statement I've made that was not solely based on my own experience was the claim that PS5 coil whine is widely reported on, which is an easy demonstrable fact.

Nice, trying to defend a physical impossibility with another hyperbole. You don't have to live in a mansion to understand how comically impossible it really is. The tiny fans in the PS4 pro are literally not capable of producing that much noise that you can hear them in any kind of establishment from three rooms away. Just acknowledge that this was an absurd hyperbole and move on.

No, this is what you've said...

There sure are other polls. Like this one which has 75% of participants reporting that their unit has coil whine.
Implying that it is but a fraction of users is flat out ridiculous. It is a genuine widespread issue.

This is why having a discussion about this subject is frustrating. People are constantly trying to argue that those talking about it are "exaggerating" or in some cases "Lying" to "Discredit" the PS5, which is frankly ridiculous.

I had no coil whine in the system menu. No coil whine when playing BC PS4 games. Very little coil whine playing PS5 games at 30 fps. But the moment a game runs at 60 FPS? That system starts screeching. It's extremely distracting when you're playing games with a lot of silence, such as Demon's Souls or Resident Evil 8.

I've been playing games for well over 25 years. I've owned high end PC's loaded with fans. Xbox 360's. PS4 Pro's. PS5 is the ONLY system where I absolutely had to use a headset to play it. The difference between coil whine and Fan noise is that fan noise is "white noise". It can be distracting, but it's much easier to ignore than coil whine which is a loud, high pitched grinding noise. So no, it's absolutely not exaggerated. You just won the PS5 lottery. There's a difference.

Yet you are doing exactly the same, claiming talk about Pro's fan noise is exaggeration and lying.

You do realize, that people live in smaller apartments? The fan noise can definitely be heard in the bathroom that's furthest from the living room. And you do realize, that smaller fans, like that in the Pro, tend to be louder than the larger ones? There are differences between fans of same size as well, like between the launch PS3 models which were manufactured in China and Japan. The former, which I got, was obnoxiously loud, and was a pain in the ass when watching movies.

Pro's fan noise is far louder than that of PS3 fatty's for me. I had to play all the later PS4 1st party titles with headphones on, as the noise drowned the dialogue, especially during cutscenes where the fan went overdrive. I've had no such issues with any noise coming from the PS5, even with games running at 60fps. The only time it made some distracting sound, was when it had gathered some dust inside, but that was fixed with removing the plates and vacuuming the insides as instructed by Sony. The Pro's fan noise is ever present, and the loudest in game menus, maps, cutscenes, certain gameplay sections (like the aforementioned closed area with multiple enemies), and when accessing the system menu while a game is running.

I don't know anyone with a silent Pro like yours, and I have never witnessed as loud system during my 37 years of gaming, including a high end PC in mid-2000s with multiple cheap fans. You won the PS4 Pro lottery. Congrats.

You're talking about what's more distracting noise subjectively, not what's more loud objectively. Hence, the PS5 can't be the loudest console known to man. It's absurd to even make such a ridiculous claim. It's rich you're talking about hyperbole to me. Talk about hypocrisy.

EDIT: As for what's more widely reported...

IQdpyGd.jpg

rBHsVn3.jpg

Last edited:

Rykan

Yet you are doing exactly the same, claiming talk about Pro's fan noise is exaggeration and lying.

How you managed to misinterpreted something as simple as this:
The difference between coil whine and Fan noise is that fan noise is "white noise". It can be distracting, but it's much easier to ignore than coil whine which is a loud, high pitched grinding noise. So no, it's absolutely not exaggerated.

is beyond me

NOTHING about the quote even remotely claims that talk about PS4 pro's fan noise is exaggeration or that people are lying about it. How the fuck do you even begin to interpret it as such? That entire post you quoted isn't even about the PS4 to begin with. Is this a joke?

You do realize, that people live in smaller apartments?
I frankly don't care. We both know that your "three rooms away" comment was either hyperbolic or an exaggeration, and I'm not going to pretend that it wasn't.
Pro's fan noise is far louder than that of PS3 fatty's for me. I had to play all the later PS4 1st party titles with headphones on, as the noise drowned the dialogue, especially during cutscenes where the fan went overdrive. I've had no such issues with any noise coming from the PS5, even with games running at 60fps. The only time it made some distracting sound, was when it had gathered some dust inside, but that was fixed with removing the plates and vacuuming the insides as instructed by Sony. The Pro's fan noise is ever present, and the loudest in game menus, maps, cutscenes, certain gameplay sections (like the aforementioned closed area with multiple enemies), and when accessing the system menu while a game is running.

I don't know anyone with a silent Pro like yours, and I have never witnessed as loud system during my 37 years of gaming, including a high end PC in mid-2000s with multiple cheap fans. You won the PS4 Pro lottery. Congrats.

You're talking about what's more distracting noise subjectively, not what's more loud objectively. Hence, the PS5 can't be the loudest console known to man. It's absurd to even make such a ridiculous claim. It's rich you're talking about hyperbole to me. Talk about hypocrisy.
Where the fuck did I ever say anything even remotely about the PS5 being the loudest console known to man? Can you at least take the effort to properly read my posts before responding?

Here, let me again remind you what i've actually said. Bold part is important.
It can be fixed. Xbox series x puts a dampening goo on the components to prevent coil whine and it works great. Series X is the quietest console I've ever owned. By contrast, the coil whine in the PS5 makes it by far the loudest console I've owned.
I'm going to pretend that you did not just try to "prove" that something is more reported on by typing in separate words in google search and use that as evidence, because that would be hilariously inaccurate.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

I sit roughly two feet from my ps5 and never hear the thing at all. But then again I haven't used a disk game in about a year

rofif

Banned

You do realize, that people live in smaller apartments? The fan noise can definitely be heard in the bathroom that's furthest from the living room. And you do realize, that smaller fans, like that in the Pro, tend to be louder than the larger ones? There are differences between fans of same size as well, like between the launch PS3 models which were manufactured in China and Japan. The former, which I got, was obnoxiously loud, and was a pain in the ass when watching movies.

IQdpyGd.jpg

rBHsVn3.jpg
by the way. You realize that google is full of shit? It always says 40040543534 results found!!! Then you click and it's 11 pages lol... most of which have nothing to do with ps5 at all

A4Dlai9.png

This is better but it's still singular searches
pM9G3Yk.png

Last edited:

Melchiah

How you managed to misinterpreted something as simple as this:

is beyond me

NOTHING about the quote even remotely claims that talk about PS4 pro's fan noise is exaggeration or that people are lying about it. How the fuck do you even begin to interpret it as such? That entire post you quoted isn't even about the PS4 to begin with. Is this a joke?

I frankly don't care. We both know that your "three rooms away" comment was either hyperbolic or an exaggeration, and I'm not going to pretend that it wasn't.

Where the fuck did I ever say anything even remotely about the PS5 being the loudest console known to man? Can you at least take the effort to properly read my posts before responding?

Here, let me again remind you what i've actually said. Bold part is important.

I'm going to pretend that you did not just try to "prove" that something is more reported on by typing in separate words in google search and use that as evidence, because that would be hilariously inaccurate.

Yet you continue to claim it's a lie, exaggeration, and hyperbole, despite of complaining about people doing just the same with coil whine issues. The hypocrisy would be hilarious, if it wasn't so pathetic.

There's absolutely no hyperbole about Pro's fan noise being heard everywhere in a small apartment. Be grateful you were lucky and don't have the issue, and continue to whine about a smaller issue, which bothers you mostly during silent parts in games. Talk about first world problems.

You claimed the PS5 was the loudest console you've ever had, starting from 360. If that's not hyperbole, or a stark contrast to the norm at best, I don't know what is.

Google results are certainly more unreliable than some random YouTubers. :messenger_poop: Search with commas is 35k vs. 2,6k, in Pro fan noise's favor again. But I know you will be putting fingers into your ears with that as well, so you can continue believing your issue to be more widely spread.

Last edited:

Rykan

Yet you continue to claim it's a lie, exaggeration, and hyperbole, despite of complaining about people doing just the same with coil whine issues. The hypocrisy would be hilarious, if it wasn't so pathetic.
The only thing that's pathetic here is your stunning lack of reading comprehension, because the only bullshit I've claimed is on your hyperspecific example of your PS4 pro's fans being audible from 3 rooms away. Every other accusation you've made against me is, quite simply, a lie.
There's absolutely no hyperbole about Pro's fan noise being heard everywhere in a small apartment. Be grateful you were lucky and don't have the issue, and continue to whine about a smaller issue, which bothers you mostly during silent parts in games. Talk about first world problems.

You claimed the PS5 was the loudest console you've ever had, starting from 360. If that's not hyperbole, or a stark contrast to the norm at best, I don't know what is.
That's not hyperbole, that is a fact. My PS5's coil whine was significantly louder than any other console I've owned and that includes the 360. Saying that my X console is louder than Y console isn't a hyperbole. Saying that you can hear a consoles tiny fans from three rooms away is.
Google results are certainly more unreliable than some random YouTubers. :messenger_poop: Search with commas is 35k vs. 2,6k, in Pro fan noise's favor again. But I know you will be putting fingers into your ears with that as well, so you can continue believing your issue to be more widely spread.
I like how you're unintentionally right here.

Last edited:

Ovek

7Member7
My PS5 gets shocking coil whine, but only when I initially put it to sleep. After about 2 mins, it will stop. I assume because the PS5 is fully hibernated at that point.

I could have more whine, but it's actually quite far away from my TV so I wouldn't easily be able to hear it.

Melchiah

The only thing that's pathetic here is your stunning lack of reading comprehension, because the only bullshit I've claimed is on your hyperspecific example of your PS4 pro's fans being audible from 3 rooms away. Every other accusation you've made against me is, quite simply, a lie.

That's not hyperbole, that is a fact. My PS5's coil whine was significantly louder than any other console I've owned and that includes the 360. Saying that my X console is louder than Y console isn't a hyperbole. Saying that you can hear a consoles tiny fans from three rooms away is.

I like how you're unintentionally right here.

It's ridiculous how you can't believe it because you're an extreme outlier with two silent Pros, and complain about people downplaying a less common issue of coil whine on the very same thread. And you keep on denying doing so, and deflecting in a desperate manner.

The example was not hyperspecific. As I just told you, three rooms away is the maximum distance in my apartment. Meaning, the noise can be heard everywhere, not just in the same room, unlike it's apparently with coil whine.

Painting the PS5 as the loudest console in three generations is a hyperbole, and an extreme opposite to the norm. The fact is, for most of us, the PS5 is the most silent Sony console since the PS2, or the PS3 slim, if those iterations are included. The launch PS4 wasn't known for being silent either. In that context, your claims sound unrealistic, and quite frankly, bullshit.

Since you seem to put more weight on YouTubers, try to do the same search there, and see which one gets more results.

Last edited:
My PS5 is much quieter than my previous PS4. Also the noise stays at the same level even after more than a year which is really nice (I think thanks to liquid cooling). At the end the noise produced by my Pro was a reason I wasn't playing some games.

Rykan

It's ridiculous how you can't believe it because you're an extreme outlier with two silent Pros, and complain about people downplaying a less common issue of coil whine on the very same thread. And you keep on denying doing so, and deflecting in a desperate manner.
Here, let me help you out a bit: What you think I've said and what I've actually said are two entirely different things.

Here is what you think I've said:
The Playstation 4 pro is a silent console and the Playstation 5 is the loudest console. People who complain about PS4 sound are lying or overreacting. The PS5 is louder.

Here is what I've actually said:
The coil whine in the PS5 makes it the loudest console that I've owned. It is louder than the two PS4 pro's that I've owned. The amount of coil whine can vary greatly per console, just like the sound of PS4 Pro fans can vary greatly depending on which model you own. At no point have I said any absolute statements about either system's noise level because, As I have pointed out repeatedly, these can vary between systems. Want me to make it any clearer? Here you go: The statements are all based entirely on MY systems. Not the PS5 or any other system in general.

Painting the PS5 as the loudest console in three generations is a hyperbole, and an extreme opposite to the norm. The fact is, for most of us, the PS5 is the most silent Sony console since the PS2, or the PS3 slim, if those iterations are included. The launch PS4 wasn't known for being silent either. In that context, your claims sound unrealistic, and quite frankly, bullshit.
Yeah it's clearly a hyperbole that someone experiencing this wouldn't consider his PS5 to be the "Most silent sony console", right? You've spend about 3 or 4 posts on this subject and your argument literally comes down to: "My PS5 doesn't make that noise, so yours can't either". It's a joke. I'd ask you for a source on your "factual claim" that for "most of us" it's the most silent Sony console, but you and I know both know what's going to happen if I do.

Last edited:

JeloSWE

There is nothing to fix.
My 3080 got way worse coil whine. It’s normal electrical noise which is hardly audible. Ps5 is really quiet
Nope, I can hear mine clearly from across the room, some got it worse and some have barely none. I ended up putting it in another room and using a long HDMI cable. Same with my PC so now my game are is dead silent and I don't need to cover the noise up with loud volume.

Also, just because someone is fatter than another one doesn't mean one isn't fat. Same with coil whine. Sony just count on not enough people caring enough and saving a few bucks.

Last edited:

solidus12

Seems like there is a similar sound, but its not as clear (might be because of the phone mic). It sounds like the disc tray initializing which gets drowned out by the disc spinning sound if you have one inside.

Wow thank you 🙏🏼
I can hear the sound; it’s not as loud as the one I have.

Top Bottom