• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Quantum Break Impressions & Previews

Also, it's funny how the threads not focusing on impressions of what kind of game this is or actual gameplay are bigger than this damn thread.

Logged onto GAF just now, saw this thread was only three pages so, without watching any clips, it's safe to assume the game seems alright.

Yeah watching the gameplay videos... Sure if i never play a third person shooter before.. But i have and this just seems.. Unintersting

I don't think it looks like most third person shooters, it looks way more dynamic than most.

What would be an interesting TPS to you?

IvanJ

Banned
Looking at videos and reading some of the impressions in the OT, I have a strange feeling that this game will be Microsoft's The Order - Lots of style with little substance.
I expect a lot of disappointed people in two months time.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I disagree with your disagree.

Nathan Drake

bU2hY7O.jpg

Aiden

hmow0Tz.jpg
1)Remember this game is also getting a PC port, which will likely have much better IQ
2)They've completely changed the tone of that scene to have more natural colors, it's no longer representative of the game's visuals especially considering it's from an older build.

spannicus

Looking at videos and reading some of the impressions in the OT, I have a strange feeling that this game will be Microsoft's The Order - Lots of style with little substance.
Nah cant see it. The Order was something else entirely. Seems to be Microsoft and Remedy put a lot of effort into this in terms of Narrative and gameplay.

Conduit

Banned
Did you also use a tiny phone screen to determine which one looks better?

Well, you know, multifinger ability. You can get a closer look at those shots. I have a good screen on phone.

2)They've completely changed the tone of that scene to have more natural colors, it's no longer representative of the game's visuals especially considering it's from an older build.

Changing some tone doesn't change texture quality. Put some more "colored" shots if you want.

Jito

Banned
Yeah watching the gameplay videos... Sure if i never play a third person shooter before.. But i have and this just seems.. Unintersting

That was definitely the feeling I was getting, it looks like any other shooter but with a dash ability and freeze time ability, although this one is set around a generic looking American city and they've spent half the budget on a ton of actors.

Vitor711

Nah cant see it. The Order was something else entirely. Seems to be Microsoft and Remedy put a lot of effort into this in terms of Narrative and gameplay.

Hell, I like The Order.

But this is a Remedy game. The Order was the first real original IP by that studio and their first console game. Their inexperience showed.

I doubt Remedy will disappoint. They haven't done so ever for me.

kanuuna

Hm... visuals downgraded? Is it me or did the old footage look better?

There isn't a whole lot of like-for-like footage, but there's some changes visible even in compressed video (wow, a game in development, who'd have thunk).

Low-res textures in the environment could just be bad streaming. Other than that, AO seems more accurate in the gamescom demo.

derFeef

The german Gamestar video mentions that the shooting feels great with guns having good sound effects and enemies reacting to the shooting accordingly. Well I a not surprised but just to let you guys know another opinion.

Laeth

Neo Member
‘Quantum Break’ Looks Like the Superhero Gaming Surprise of 2016

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/quantum-break-looks-like-the-superhero-gaming-surprise-of-2016-449

...only Remedy could have made this game. An American story shaped by a Finnish writer from a desk that looks out over a landscape so commonly covered in snow. It's partially familiar, yet fundamentally different from its genre peers. And based on what I've seen so far – the entire first act, a full episode of the show, and more – it's a title to make time for.

derFeef

This reminds me of The Order: 1886, not exactly a great thing to be reminded of.

Not at all, like.. nothing. It's not a cover shooter, you can't even blind-fire. cover is automatic, you have to move or else you are screwed. It's thrid person.. the similarities end there.

I don't get The Order comparisons. That game had tons of slow cover-based shooting and QTEs, this game is a really agressive, dynamic shooter that emphasizes movement and experimenting with time powers.

It would be kind of weird if there are real graphical downgrades. I remember articles from a while ago where Sam Lake said they were actually going to improve the graphics even further. That this was one of the reasons it was delayed or something. Or the previous footage was all on PC.

What makes you think there is little substance? Is it multiple different powers you can use, or fact that enemies force you to move and use those said powers, or is it new way of integrating game to live action show, or maybe something else?

etta

my hard graphic balls
Good luck with that, this is Remedy.

eso76

Some people see downgrades. I see one of the best looking games around, up there with the order and uncharted 4 or even better in some regards.
Though, with the PC version releasing the same day, we can assume this is the PC version ?

Deviousx

I don't know what it is, but that scene from 1:12 to 2:49 in "So Suddenly Time Has Malfunctioned" looks fucking amazing. I've re-watched that part like 3 times now lol.

I feel like many has made up their mind long before these footages game out. Like these comparisons to the Order for example. There is like nothing similar gameplaywise in these games, better comparison is Uncharted, both require movement and has huge focus on narrative. But then again, other has different powers to further spice up gameplay, other has puzzles. But Order with cover based gameplay with QTE is very far from Quantum Break.

Some people see downgrades. I see one of the best looking games around, up there with the order and uncharted 4 or even better in some regards.
Though, with the PC version releasing the same day, we can assume this is the PC version ?

Xbox One footage, captured at the event on capture cards :).

Was going to pre order this game at best buy but wasnt sure if it comes with the bonus alan wake, I see it on amazon pre order but on best buy.com it doesnt mention it

etta

my hard graphic balls

I feel like many has made up their mind long before these footages game out. Like these comparisons to the Order for example. There is like nothing similar gameplaywise in these games, better comparison is Uncharted, both require movement and has huge focus on narrative. But then again, other has different powers to further spice up gameplay, other has puzzles.

Just don't mention who because then you'll be called out on your persecution complex.

Yeah true indeed. I have faith in these guys. Max Payne 1 and 2 were awesome, Alan Wake as well. I do remember one article last year though that pretty much said the same thing as he just did, basically that it really wasnt all that. The article seemed somewhat like a click bait article though.

If this game can combine shootouts with exploration and some puzzling in a good way, it should turn out great.

So many Remedy-isms in the world design, combat design, and animations. I don't know where people are pulling The Order from, but this looks distinctively like a Remedy title to me. The warehouse shootout where you call the elevator, or the one in the large room with the couches/bookcases look straight out of Max Payne, in the best way possible.

Only remaining concerns are whether the story is actually interesting and if the passive moments (cutscenes) become too intrusive over time.

derFeef

Gamestar video mentions no one has seen the PC version so far.

IvanJ

Banned
What makes you think there is little substance? Is it multiple different powers you can use, or fact that enemies force you to move and use those said powers, or is it new way of integrating game to live action show, or maybe something else?

I see Remedy as a one trick pony, coming up with bullet time and abusing it for two decades, finding more ways to implement it.
I see a rehash of several last-gen games (TimeShift, Singularity) with another generic story shoehorned in and reinforced with Syfy style live action cutscenes (just as they pilfered Stephen King in AW). I see these cutscenes as a means to hide a probably very short and unimpressive gameplay part.

Again, just like The Order, people will praise the fantastic graphical prowess, which is indisputable.

But I still firmly believe that the game itself will be mediocre at best (based on what I've seen so far).

Well damn...as an Xbox One owner it makes me really happy to see such a clean looking game on Xbox One. Remedy clearly knows what they are doing. I'd love to see some of that Gamersyde goodness on this.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Changing some tone doesn't change texture quality. Put some more "colored" shots if you want.
If you want an example of how much lighting and tone can affect the look of a game.
154_150131180718_1.gif

Texture quality is exactly the same yet the eyes perceive Geralt's shoulder pads as having more definition. In the case of Quantum Break:
quantum_break-4.jpg

There isn't a whole lot of like-for-like footage, but there's some changes visible even in compressed video (wow, a game in development, who'd have thunk).

Low-res textures in the environment could just be bad streaming. Other than that, AO seems more accurate in the gamescom demo.
You absolutely can not glean any sort of asset quality in those comparisons, only that the color filter has changed.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Unlike the Order, QB is made by a top tier dev with a record of stellar games. I don't see the comparisons at all other than TPS with nice graphics.

Theorry

If this is a Max Payne game in disguise I'm all over that.

Juuup.

"Behind the bluster, we seem to have a worthy new-gen expansion of Max Payne’s core ideals; of gunplay and time manipulation, and pulpy genre fiction - the very stuff that made Remedy famous in the first place"

Mula

Nah not even close sry.
I love remedy and their games, but they can't compete with ND and their tech lvl.

Theorry

Dont get the comparison with Uncharted really. But have their own style really. The faces are better in Uncharted but the slow mo, explosions is something else in QB.
Both have their strengths.

Top Bottom