• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Quantum Break Impressions & Previews

Muddimar

I know it sounds stupid, but
the fact the guy picked up 45 Assault Rifles with no consequences is a little strange to me. I mean, I think it would be better if you either had to carry the item on you visibly or move it elsewhere to make it unusable until they pick it back up?

Looks great otherwise!

Looking at videos and reading some of the impressions in the OT, I have a strange feeling that this game will be Microsoft's The Order - Lots of style with little substance.
I expect a lot of disappointed people in two months time.

I work on the game, so I would say this, but no, we have plenty of substance. Lot of replay value with a branching story, content from radio shows to emails to discussion changing depending what you the player choose to do. Plenty of dynamic objects in the enviroments too.

Theorry

I work on the game, so I would say this, but no, we have plenty of substance. Lot of replay value with a branching story, content from radio shows to emails to discussion changing depending what you the player choose to do. Plenty of dynamic objects in the enviroments too.

All the footage is Xbox One right?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Nah not even close sry.
I love remedy and their games, but they can't compete with ND and their tech lvl.
They already are considering that these environments are just as dynamic if not more dynamic than UC4's environments. Not to mention, the tech behind the game, UC4 has nothing on the level of DMM. And there's certainly a lot to be said about their facial capture method.

Sam Lake snowball fight

sam_lake_snowball_by_digi_matrix-d9rcwxt.gif

Looking at videos and reading some of the impressions in the OT, I have a strange feeling that this game will be Microsoft's The Order - Lots of style with little substance.
I expect a lot of disappointed people in two months time.

Mmmmhmm, right.

This isn't you, by chance?

f22c684995844f8f9c2d457a31f94978.png

zsynqx

They already are considering that these environments are just as dynamic if not more dynamic than UC4's environments. Not to mention, the tech behind the game, UC4 has nothing on the level of DMM. And there's certainly a lot to be said about their facial capture method.

Not wanting to butt in on this little battle but how do you know this?

Game is looking fantastic! Will be my first Remedy game.

LostDonkey

God Dayum the visuals in this game are absolutely stunning. I can't believe some people are saying it looks average. wtf.

arhra

I still don't see how the live action TV show melds with the video game? Anyone care to explain?

As I understand it, each act of the game ends in a "Junction" sequence where control switches over to the villain, Paul Serene, and you play out a short exploration/narrative sequence (some of the previews straight up called it "TellTale-style") where you can make various decisions, large and small, that may impact the narrative. Then the cutscene/show episode plays out, some scenes of which will have alternate takes depending on what decisions you've made previously. The decisions will also affect the gameplay segments in various ways, from characters not appearing because one of your decisions got them killed, to in-game radio shows having different hosts and playing different music.

Apparently there's only one ending, but lots of branching paths on the way there before they all converge back together at the end (one of the previews mentioned there being something like 40-odd paths through the game).

Crossing Eden

Not wanting to butt in on this little battle but how do you know this?
Just based on these videos and ofc prior footage, (the bridge scene). The expensive tech they're using has most definitely been put to good use.

Zemm

The visuals and combat look so fucking good. A good story would just be icing on the cake because I can already see I'm going to have a lot of fun with the combat.

Still a day one purchase. Looks absolutely fantastic.

Yep, complete with screen tearing we had in the demo build, but that's, obviously, been fixed.

If you don't mind could you please confirm if screen tearing (Xbox One version) has been fixed during gameplay as well?

Thanks

Crossing Eden

Theorry

I get why some people talk about a cover shooter. Because of some early level gameplay. But i think the Gamesradar preview says it best. The gameplay is really offensive. It introduces itselfs as a cover shooter but then teaches you very quick that you cant stay behind cover.for a period of time because you get rushed like crazy. And the Ai is designed to push you out of cover like Tomb Raider really.

If you want an example of how much lighting and tone can affect the look of a game.
154_150131180718_1.gif

Texture quality is exactly the same yet the eyes perceive Geralt's shoulder pads as having more definition. In the case of Quantum Break:
quantum_break-4.jpg

You absolutely can not glean any sort of asset quality in those comparisons, only that the color filter has changed.

Fuck that looks good.

DMM is prebaked destruktion, nothing impressive, userd In HL2 and many others

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=722144&page=2

Yeah, I mean the implementation here is super impressive. But those big destruction scenes are prebaked, and all you can really do is fast forward or rewind the destruction. I am not demeaning the implementation, because I think it is super cool, but it is not very dynamic. Personally, I find the chase scene in U4 more technically impressive, and there seems to be more physics going on in the environments than this game.

shandy706

That HL2 scene absolutely does not compare to it's use in this game. Prebaked or not it's still incredibly impressive, the use of physics in general is incredibly impressive. From that link you posted. To say it's not impressive shows a fundamental misunderstanding of how much work is going on behind the scenes.

Don't waste your time arguing with Mula.

Sometimes it's best to just click a person's post history...then move on.

People are coming out of the woodwork, LOL.

Happy this is coming to pc :)

Me too!!

I'm looking forward to playing this on the X1 and the PC. Plan to downsample the PC build for some amazing screenshots.

butman

Gameplaywise, it's looks kinda meh.
Contrary was the case when i saw TLOU gameplay videos, i wanted to play it right now!

70 Metacritic.

Mula

Yeah, I mean the implementation here is super impressive. But those big destruction scenes are prebaked, and all you can really do is fast forward or rewind the destruction. I am not demeaning the implementation, because I think it is super cool, but it is not very dynamic. Personally, I find the chase scene in U4 more technically impressive, and there seems to be more physics going on in the environments than this game.

Yes the Car scene is much more impressive than the destructions seen so far from QB

Alienous

I'm going to look at a few more videos but so far I feel like I have a better understanding of why Remedy seems so eager to make Alan Wake 2.

This seems insipid. Stylish, I guess, but it's not very exciting.

Crossing Eden

Consider that every time you dash in this game it causes objects in the environment to move. The gamestar video showcases this well as well as how many objects are destructible. It's incredibly dynamic. It's even better because you compare how differently the environment "reacted" to the scenario in the gamesradar video.

Stormy

The gameplay looks frenetic and awesome. Best graphics console wise I have seen yet as well to be honest. Cannot wait to play this in a couple months. Those who are saying this looks anything other than unbelievable need to have their eyes checked. LOL

Ugh, most of these videos have absolutely TERRIBLE bitrate and compression.

I know I sound like a snob, but this is a day one regardless on PC now, so I'mma just go in dry.

Crossing Eden

Ugh, most of these videos have absolutely TERRIBLE bitrate and compression.

I know I sound like a snob.
You don't sound like a snob at all it fucking sucks. The gamestar video has the highest bitrate, youtube makes no sense.

Theorry

Its a shame yeah. Was the same with The Division. Until youtubers who care about the quality of their vids showed up and gave us some decent footage with high bitrate.

Consider that every time you dash in this game it causes objects in the environment to move. The gamestar video showcases this well as well as how many objects are destructible. It's incredibly dynamic. It's even better because you compare how differently the environment "reacted" to the scenario in the gamesradar video.

The distortion effect is supercool, but you are talking about the actual destruction, which happens at point? Yeah, it looks good, pretty similar to what was shown in U4 actually. The large scale stuff is different though, that is prebaked. Very impressive of course, but much less impressive than if it was dynamic. On the other hand, as a spectacle and gameplay feature it does what it sets out to.

Top Bottom