• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Quantum Break Impressions & Previews

derFeef

Small gif bomb:

24337609193_25429c3913_o.gif
24871024261_f1998e5582_o.gif

24870907931_85fe4beff3_o.gif
24846397762_db126e4047_o.gif

24871233981_2fa6b48d4a_o.gif
24846586922_73f8784956_o.gif

Majestad

Banned
Remedy games outclass almost everything when it comes to style, atmosphere and presentation. The good part though is that the gameplay in their games is actually good too. Quantum Break is looking excellent.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The distortion effect is supercool, but you are talking about the actual destruction, which happens at point? Yeah, it looks good, pretty similar to what was shown in U4 actually. The large scale stuff is different though, that is prebaked. Very impressive of course, but much less impressive than if it was dynamic. On the other hand, as a spectacle and gameplay feature it does what it sets out to.
It quite literally wouldn't be possible, ever, for any system, to handle destruction like that in complete realtime with reasonable performance, the calculations would likely melt the machine. The impressive part is how they control it as well as the scale of it. It's impressive regardless of the fact that prebaked. The distortion combined with the actual destruction is incredibly impressive. That's what I mean by more dynamic.

Lime

so it'll be a AAA cover-based shooter with time mechanics and fancy cutscenes with experienced actors performing a video game script.

If Lance Reddick had been the main character instead of standard white scruffy dude #8742 I might have been interested, and already my expectations are pretty damn low for the narrative of this game since Alan Wake was poorly written and executed in my opinion. The time manipulation mechanics and the celebrity actors are the only things that make the game stands apart for me so far.

Theorry

so it'll be a AAA cover-based shooter with time mechanics and fancy cutscenes with experienced actors performing a video game script.

If Lance Reddick had been the main character instead of standard white scruffy dude #8742 I might have been interested, and already my expectations are pretty damn low for the narrative of this game since Alan Wake was poorly written and executed in my opinion

:)

I get why some people talk about a cover shooter. Because of some early level gameplay. But i think the Gamesradar preview says it best. The gameplay is really offensive. It introduces itselfs as a cover shooter but then teaches you very quick that you cant stay behind cover.for a period of time because you get rushed like crazy. And the Ai is designed to push you out of cover like Tomb Raider really.

Crossing Eden

If Lance Reddick had been the main character instead of standard white scruffy dude #8742 I might have been interested, and already my expectations are pretty damn low for the narrative of this game since Alan Wake was poorly written and executed in my opinion. The time manipulation mechanics and the celebrity actors are the only things that make the game stands apart for me so far.
Your post comes off as way too overly hostile and negative as well as a bit misinformed and misguided...I don't think Lance Reddick would suddenly make the game narrative better, (especially since he's already a character), not to mention I can't see him pulling off the character Shawn Ashmore is playing at all compared to what they have him doing. Also what's wrong with Shawn Ashmore? It's also not a cover shooter, that's quite literally the opposite of how the game encourages you to play.

Mula

It quite literally wouldn't be possible, ever, for any system, to handle destruction like that in complete realtime with reasonable performance, the calculations would likely melt the machine. The impressive part is how they control it as well as the scale of it. It's impressive regardless of the fact that prebaked. The distortion combined with the actual destruction is incredibly impressive. That's what I mean by more dynamic.
I think you misunderstand something the objects dont move. It's just a screen tear effect It's no destruction not prebaked/realtime or whatever.

Crossing Eden

I think you misunderstand something the objects dont move. It's just a screen tear effect It's no destruction not prebaked/realtime or whatever.
Some objects do appear to move whenever the player uses that moves. Depending on how close he is. The dash isn't the only thing that causes distortion either.

You're doing a lot of work just to downplay a pretty good marriage between convincing SFX and an interative damage model.

Shredderi

Goddamn the graphics are supersweet. Windows10 only? I don't want to rock the boat by leaving my W7 in fear of some softwares not working properly anymore :(

Mula

Some objects do appear to move whenever the player uses that moves. Depending on how close he is. The dash isn't the only thing that causes distortion either.
Yes that's right. There are still realtime physics on some objects i think.
But lets end this here, i just answered to your opinion "this is technicaly better or on par with The Order or UC4"

Crossing Eden

Yes that's right. There are still realtime physics on some objects i think.
But lets end this here, i just answered to your opinion "this is technicaly better or on paar with The Order or UC4"
I never mentioned the Order, and yes I still believe that it's on par if not better visually than UC4 with the tech and team behind it.

Here's hoping that those recommended specs stand for "Very High, 60fps 1080p"

They already are considering that these environments are just as dynamic if not more dynamic than UC4's environments.

Hm? How? I haven't seen much dynamism apart from the exploding shelf (in combat) and the reverse-time sudden box reintegration (out of combat). I have only watched one of the previews though.

Really want to pre order this game but am confused about if both best buy and amazon give you alan wake included..I dont see it mentioned on best buys site at all, only if you pre order the digital version(I want the disc version) is it better to just pre order the game on amazon?

I'm not really feeling the cutscene lighting or whatever it is they are doing. It looks a bit too gamey/stylized for my tastes. Hard to explain.

Definitely digging the rest though. Hopefully I'm done with my other games by the time this is out, because I really want to day one this.

Boke1879

Gameplay is pretty much a 3rd person shooter with time elements. An expansion of Max Payne imo. ALL IN.

At first wasn't sure if I would get this day one, but it looks fun enough. Hopefully the story delivers.

eso76

Does anyone else think the main character looks like an older Monaghan, who is also in the game ?
Is this known plot related or just coincidence?
Strange they cast two mains who look so much alike if there's no reason.

Stare-Bear

Banned
Well someone at Remedy has been playing Infamous;Second Son a lot. Dark industrial complexes with orange highlights, lighting streaks following characters, warping between locations quickly. Imitation is the highest for of flattery I guess?

Theorry

Does anyone else think the main character looks like an older Monaghan, who is also in the game ?

Well they are brothers in the game.

Eoin

They're meant to be brothers I think.

rashbeep

Banned
I never mentioned the Order, and yes I still believe that it's on par if not better visually than UC4 with the tech and team behind it.

It's definitely close. I feel as if ND gets a little too much credit sometimes for how good their games look. I wouldn't put them on Crytek's level in terms of pushing tech for instance.

It's definitely close. I feel as if ND gets a little too much credit sometimes for how good their games look. I wouldn't put them on Crytek's level in terms of pushing tech for instance.

Agreed. No studio has any particular lock on perfection, but you'd swear that no one ever can do anything remotely close to the level of righteous awesome that Naughty Dog can.

It gets old.

Agreed. No studio has any particular lock on perfection, but you'd swear that no one ever can do anything remotely close to the level of righteous awesome that Naughty Dog can.

It gets old.

True, there is exaggeration on all sides. ND and Remedy are known for pushing visuals and it is clear from this and U4, that hasn't changed. I personally think the looks that both games are going for are so different that it is difficult to compare. The level of detail and lighting we are getting in games is awesome.

Rashbeep: I would definitely put them on a level with Crytek. Even just going through their old games again through the remasters...Uncharted 3 looks very impressive.

Game looking good both visually, and with gameplay. I just hope the story pans out good like Allen Wake.
Glad I pre-ordered back when Amazon had that pre-order deal :)

FLAguy954

Came here to educate myself on the game since it was confirmed for PC.

And holy shit, I'm definitely interested in this one.

The real question still remains though...

Are we going to get some new POTF (Poets of the Fall Music) for QB? There was hints and such with AW and American Nightmare but it's been pretty silent on that front for Quantum Break.

Lime

Thanks for that. Sounds interesting.

Your post comes off as way too overly hostile and negative as well as a bit misinformed and misguided...I don't think Lance Reddick would suddenly make the game narrative better, (especially since he's already a character), not to mention I can't see him pulling off the character Shawn Ashmore is playing at all compared to what they have him doing. Also what's wrong with Shawn Ashmore? It's also not a cover shooter, that's quite literally the opposite of how the game encourages you to play.

Maybe GAF isn't my community any longer if my reactions to this is considered hostile. I'm not intending to hurt anyone by stating my gut reaction to the game's marketing. It's just how I feel. Maybe it's too raw or short for some people who are attached to the game?

My issue with the character is that I'm frankly tired of seeing the same type over and over and over again. Same age, same gender, same skin color, probably same sexuality. It's seriously so damn boring that any form of change is a breath of fresh air. It matters to simply have a different main character that isn't some white dude. And of course it makes a huge difference between just being a side character and the main playable character. It would've been much more refreshing to have someone like Reddick be the focal point and playable rather than the same type of white dude I've played a bazillion times before (shit, ALL of Remedy's games centers a white dude)

RoKKeR

Watched the IGN preview, looking really damn good. Bummed I will be leaving the country for 4 months just a week or two before it comes out.

FuturusX

Thanks for that. Sounds interesting.

Maybe GAF isn't my community any longer if my reactions to this is considered hostile. I'm not intending to hurt anyone by stating my gut reaction to the game's marketing. It's just how I feel. Maybe it's too raw or short for some people who are attached to the game?

My issue with the character is that I'm frankly tired of seeing the same type over and over and over again. Same age, same gender, same skin color, probably same sexuality. It's seriously so damn boring that any form of change is a breath of fresh air. It matters to simply have a different main character that isn't some white dude. And of course it makes a huge difference between just being a side character and the main playable character. It would've been much more refreshing to have someone like Reddick be the focal point and playable rather than the same type of white dude I've played a bazillion times before (shit, ALL of Remedy's games centers a white dude)

The focus on white dudes is not a Remedy problem it's an industry problem. But I hear you.

Top Bottom