• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Trailer for The Matrix Ressurections

carlosrox

Banned
I liked the first trailer a lot more.

I'm glad Classic Keanu is back instead of John Wick Keanu. Happy to see him sport his old look here.

John Wick Keanu woulda worker better in Bill & Ted 3 but they screwed that up.

So it is true there will be actual footage of the original movies in this movie. Weird.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I feel like Im gonna watch this and still be as confused coming out of the movie as I was going in.

Last edited:

The Skull

I will say that action shot of Neo at the end of the trailer looks pretty dope. If there's plenty of good action, then I can forgive the narrative being lackluster.

Spaceman292

Banned
the thread title misspelling

Stressed Out Reaction GIF
Get used to it

Stuart360

There is something about 'The Matrix' isnt there?, i see a lot of excitement aroiund the web for this film, something you dont always get when a new film gets a new sequel nearly 20 years later.
I still think its a shame this is on HBO Max as it would of been cool to see how much a new Matrix film could gross in 2021.

As for me, i'm mixed on this film so far, even though i'm a big Matrix fan. Will def go see it though.

Last edited:
I still think its a shame this is on HBO Max as it would of been cool to see how much a new Matrix film could gross in 2021.
It's not grossing anything because of Spiderman and new potential restrictions in Europe.
Funny how its announcement was drowned out by the Sony-Marvel conflict back in August 2019 and now it's opening against Spiderman.

I think it looks like the machines kept Neo, from the end of the matrix revolutions, healed him, and put him back in for some reason.

Stuart360

I managed to see an early screening just now of this, from a friend who works at Vue and were testing the film on one of their screens (cheers buddy, well not really lol).
Oh boy lol. I'll post some spoiler feeling here -

As a mega Matrix fan (yes all 3 films) i thought this movie was awful, i mean really awful.

Very little action, and what action there is (like the few fight scenes) is filmed very badly, and doesnt 'feel' like the other films.. The story is very convoluted and doesnt really explain a lot of stuff in detail, which i'll go into further now with this story overview -

Ok so basically The machines healed and plugged Neo and Trinity back into the Matrix at the end of 'Revolutions'. Now obviously neither of them know this, and they are simply living their seperate lives (Trinity has a husband and family).
Neo is a videogame developer, who created the 'Matrix Trilogy' of games (the first 3 films). He has been having these visions and created these videogames using those visions . His visions are basically memories from what happend in the orig film trilogy (yes dont worry, the orig trilogy did happen).
Now his boss is Agent Smith (yes no joke, and no idea why he is there), and unfortuantely he doesnt talk or act like Agent Smith (unlike how Bane did in Reloaded and Revolutions) so whats the point of eevn having him here, and what are his motives as it doesnt really explain (a running theme of the movie)
Right next, its been 60 years since the orig trilogy, not 20 years. Morpheus is dead, Niobe is now old and in charge of a new city (called IO i believe). Zion isnt in the film, and we learn that this new city splintered off from Zion when there was some kind of confrontation or somthing.
Anyway the new Morpheus is actually a black agent that somehoe Neo created in his videogame and it infected the Matrix itself somehow (it talks about some stupid shit about Neo uploading him through a modem that infects the Matrix, or some shit). So this agent Morphues 'wakes up' and meets up with some humans in the Matrix, and they decied to try and find Neo. Thats when all the Red pill/blu pill scenes come in that you saw in the trailers. They eventually get Neo to take the red pill, after various attempts due to Neo moping around about his life (and he moped through most of the film). So Neo takes the pill on the train, and he escapes into his pod, which is seperate from the rest of the human pods. He sees another pod opposuite him and realizes its Trinity and she's alive.
The remainder of the film is Neo and this small band of humans trying to find a way to get Trinity out of the Matrix.

And thats part of the problem, there is no threat from the machines. Its explained that there was some peace after Revolutions, even to the extent that some robots went to live with humans. But now there is no peace anymore, but is there?, its never really explained if there still is or isnt peace. One thing for sure though is that this new City 'IO' is not under threat rom the machines, so there is no real threat in the film. I mean there are not eevn any agents in the new Matrirx (this is a new version of the Matrix rebooted after the end of Revolutions).
The only threat comes from the fact that both Neo and Trinity are 'The One' lol (yes Trinity is also The One, and thats why they were podded together but away from the rest of humanity). Why the machines need Neo and Trinity alive for this Matrix to succeed, its never really explained, or i didnt fully understand it anyway). So this new program in charge of the Matrix needs to not only stop Neo rescuing Trinity, but he also needs Neo back in a pod for this version of the Matrix to run correctly.

Its all pretty bizaar at times, with pointless scenes (the whole Frenchman scene is weird, and adds nothing to the film. He's a hobo now after what happened in Revolutions. Why though?). Agent Smith saves Neo at a couple of points in the film, but why?, and why is it never explained. Its really cheesy at times too, i mean i never really thought the orig trilogy was 'cheesy' but there is a lot of cheese and awkward comedy in this one (and some hilarious bad scenes like humans riding robots lol). And just wait until you see the final scene where Neo and Trinity confront the AI in charge of the Matrix, weird and facepalming doesnt do it justice lol.

The best i can explain is the film feels rushed, almost like they had a super strict deadline that they simply HAD to hit. Also that 'cool' vibe that the orig trilogy had, its gone from here. There is nothing 'cool' about this woke cash in.

4/10.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
I managed to see an early screening just now of this, from a friend who works at Vue and were testing the film on one of their screens (cheers buddy, well not really lol).

As a mega Matrix fan (yes all 3 films) i thought this movie was awful, i mean really awful.

Very little action, and what action there is (like the few fight scenes) is filmed very badly, and doesnt 'feel' like the other films.. The story is very convoluted and doesnt really explain a lot of stuff in detail, which i'll go into further now with this story overview -

Ok so basically The machines healed and plugged Neo and Trinity back into the Matrix at the end of 'Revolutions'. Now obviously neither of them know this, and they are simply living their seperate lives (Trinity has a husband and family).
Neo is a videogame developer, who created the 'Matrix Trilogy' of games (the first 3 films). He has been having these visions and created these videogames using those visions . His visions are basically memories from what happend in the orig film trilogy (yes dont worry, the orig trilogy did happen).
Now his boss is Agent Smith (yes no joke, and no idea why he is there), and unfortuantely he doesnt talk or act like Agent Smith (unlike how Bane did in Reloaded and Revolutions) so whats the point of eevn having him here, and what are his motives as it doesnt really explain (a running theme of the movie)
Right next, its been 60 years since the orig trilogy, not 20 years. Morpheus is dead, Niobe is now old and in charge of a new city (called IO i believe). Zion isnt in the film, and we learn that this new city splintered off from Zion when there was some kind of confrontation or somthing.
Anyway the new Morpheus is actually a black agent that somehoe Neo created in his videogame and it infected the Matrix itself somehow (it talks about some stupid shit about Neo uploading him through a modem that infects the Matrix, or some shit). So this agent Morphues 'wakes up' and meets up with some humans in the Matrix, and they decied to try and find Neo. Thats when all the Red pill/blu pill scenes come in that you saw in the trailers. They eventually get Neo to take the red pill, after various attempts due to Neo moping around about his life (and he moped through most of the film). So Neo takes the pill on the train, and he escapes into his pod, which is seperate from the rest of the human pods. He sees another pod opposuite him and realizes its Trinity and she's alive.
The remainder of the film is Neo and this small band of humans trying to find a way to get Trinity out of the Matrix.

And thats part of the problem, there is no threat from the machines. Its explained that there was some peace after Revolutions, even to the extent that some robots went to live with humans. But now there is no peace anymore, but is there?, its never really explained if there still is or isnt peace. One thing for sure though is that this new City 'IO' is not under threat rom the machines, so there is no real threat in the film. I mean there are not eevn any agents in the new Matrirx (this is a new version of the Matrix rebooted after the end of Revolutions).
The only threat comes from the fact that both Neo and Trinity are 'The One' lol (yes Trinity is also The One, and thats why they were podded together but away from the rest of humanity). Why the machines need Neo and Trinity alive for this Matrix to succeed, its never really explained, or i didnt fully understand it anyway). So this new program in charge of the Matrix needs to not only stop Neo rescuing Trinity, but he also needs Neo back in a pod for this version of the Matrix to run correctly.

Its all pretty bizaar at times, with pointless scenes (the whole Frenchman scene is weird, and adds nothing to the film. He's a hobo now after what happened in Revolutions. Why though?). Agent Smith saves Neo at a couple of points in the film, but why?, and why is it never explained. Its really cheesy at times too, i mean i never really thought the orig trilogy was 'cheesy' but there is a lot of cheese and awkward comedy in this one (and some hilarious bad scenes like humans riding robots lol).

The best i can explain is the film feels rushed, almost like they had a super strict deadline that they simply HAD to hit. Also that 'cool' vibe that the orig trilogy had, its gone from here. There is nothing 'cool' about this woke cash in.

4/10.
IO is a city where the humans and machines live together in peace, Zion fell after infighting following Morpheus' death. Niobi doesn't want to accept the resurrected Neo out of fear of sparking another conflict with the machines, who are fighting themselves in a civil war after the events of Revolutions.

Ulysses 31

Its all pretty bizaar at times, with pointless scenes (the whole Frenchman scene is weird, and adds nothing to the film. He's a hobo now after what happened in Revolutions. Why though?). Agent Smith saves Neo at a couple of points in the film, but why?, and why is it never explained. Its really cheesy at times too, i mean i never really thought the orig trilogy was 'cheesy' but there is a lot of cheese and awkward comedy in this one (and some hilarious bad scenes like humans riding robots lol).

4/10.
iu

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Seems like the embargo is lifted? I’ve read a few takes that say if you weren’t a fan of 2 & 3, you won’t like this one. So I guess I’ll skip it pending feedback here.
Stuart360’s review certainly is not helping my desire to watch it.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Seems like the embargo is lifted? I’ve read a few takes that say if you weren’t a fan of 2 & 3, you won’t like this one. So I guess I’ll skip it pending feedback here.
Stuart360’s review certainly is not helping my desire to watch it.

It's a direct sequel to those. So...

And the meta shit was ALWAYS going to make people hate it.

But at the same time I know people who were very disappointed with 2 & 3 and like this one more.

This still coming to HBO day 1?
Yes, probably will be up Tuesday afternoon like Dune and Suicide Squad.

Last edited:

Diddy X

From what I see there it looks like it's gonna fail hard, they are literally copying scenes from the originals and presenting them as deja vus, that new agent doesn't look good at all, trinity is in a bad shape, only good thing is Keanu, oh and also the woke stuff, nothing new, the trailer screams bad movie, wouldn't be interested if it wasn't Matrix.

It gives me Terminator genisys + Ghostbusters (2016) vibes.

Last edited:

Its all pretty bizaar at times, with pointless scenes (the whole Frenchman scene is weird, and adds nothing to the film. He's a hobo now after what happened in Revolutions. Why though?). Agent Smith saves Neo at a couple of points in the film, but why?, and why is it never explained. Its really cheesy at times too, i mean i never really thought the orig trilogy was 'cheesy' but there is a lot of cheese and awkward comedy in this one (and some hilarious bad scenes like humans riding robots lol). And just wait until you see the final scene where Neo and Trinity confront the AI in charge of the Matrix, weird and facepalming doesnt do it justice lol.

4/10.
At least this puts my hype in check, I'll go in with lower expectations and should enjoy the first viewing now.

Why do creatives/franchises always miss the continuation of what people loved. They watched/played your shit and loved it. You just need to extend and reveal more to the higher layers of the story/universe and not create these parallels of stories where things are not progressed in a meaningful way.

Diddy X

I'll take "poster who doesn't know who the Wachowskis are" for $1,000.

I know but that blue hair girl along pretty much everything in the trailer is presented badly, the action, the dialogue, sorry but it feels so behind the memorable original and closer to Terminator genisys + Ghostbusters (2016) like I said.

Ulysses 31

Why do creatives/franchises always miss the continuation of what people loved. They watched/played your shit and loved it. You just need to extend and reveal more to the higher layers of the story/universe and not create these parallels of stories where things are not progressed in a meaningful way.
Creative bankruptcy and/or lack of talent.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
It's a direct sequel to those. So...

And the meta shit was ALWAYS going to make people hate it.

But at the same time I know people who were very disappointed with 2 & 3 and like this one more.

Yes, probably will be up Tuesday afternoon like Dune and Suicide Squad.
Have you posted your impressions on it anywhere? I’d love to hear your thoughts.

4/10.

People really thought this would be any good?

From the trailer it seemed already pretty clear that it relies heavily on nostalgia and references to the previous movies.
Matrix resurrections has nothing worthwhile to tell, no message to convey, nothing of substance to portray, hence why it is not going to succeed.
It's pretty obvious they decided to make a movie before they even had a story.

The only reason people will go watch this is because of their fond memories of the first movie.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
People really thought this would be any good?

From the trailer it seemed already pretty clear that it relies heavily on nostalgia and references to the previous movies.
Matrix resurrections has nothing worthwhile to tell, no message to convey, nothing of substance to portray, hence why it is not going to succeed.
It's pretty obvious they decided to make a movie before they even had a story.

The only reason people will go watch this is because of their fond memories of the first movie.
Regardless of what I end up making of this movie, or my thoughts of it being made, it isn’t the case that it wasn’t thought out, or made by a they who had nothing to convey or story to tell. In interview after interview, Lana Wachowski says the story was born out of a grieving process she was going through. For her, it has something worthwhile to tell and convey. Whether people individually understand it or are on board with it is something entirely different.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I've read 'woke' mentioned for this film a few times on Twitter (I can't tell if they're being funny or are really serious), and I just have to shake my head. Has no one ever seen the director or the original film(s) and what their themes are? Lol.

The Matrix should have ended here:

9WrP.gif

Nothing else that could have been expressed could have lived up to the feeling and suggestion imparted by the conclusion of the original. It was inevitably going to be a downhill trek. (Having said that, I found the sequels enjoyable, at least in some aspects.)

Ulysses 31

9WrP.gif

Nothing else that could have been expressed could have lived up to the feeling and suggestion imparted by the conclusion of the original. It was inevitably going to be a downhill trek. (Having said that, I found the sequels enjoyable, at least in some aspects.)
Eh, I thought the Second Renaissance Part 1&2 gave enough material for a "Rise of the Machines" movie. 👀

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
I've read 'woke' mentioned for this film a few times on Twitter (I can't tell if they're being funny or are really serious), and I just have to shake my head. Has no one ever seen the director or the original film(s) and what their themes are? Lol.
Well, one can have certain opinions and still make art where those opinions are not distractingly and jarringly inserted.

I'm going to see this film in two days for nostalgia's sake, but I fear the worst.

Not only about the woke part, but just the fact that the first Matrix is the only truly great thing this director has made that I have seen. Even though I enjoyed the sequels to a certain extent.

ManaByte

Gold Member

9WrP.gif

The problem with the sequels are twofold:
1. At the end of The Matrix, Neo was confident. He was The One. He was going to fuck up the machines. Right at the start of Reloaded he was moping around thinking he wasn't The One. It invalidates that ending in the GIF completely.
2. In the original Matrix, every fight and action scene served a purpose to move the plot forward. This went away in the sequels, possibly because the Wachowskis got drunk on the praise of how cool the action was in the original, and you get meaningless fights and action sequences in the sequel that only exist to look cool, such as when Seraph fights Neo "just to see if he's The One".

9WrP.gif

I think they should have made better movies, waited another 4 years between reloaded and revolutions, and fully ended the machine war. lol if i made my own movie trilogy i would end part 2 on a MASSIVE cliff hanger, then make everyone wait 5-6 years for the conclusion.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

I think they should have made better movies, waited another 4 years between reloaded and revolutions, and fully ended the machine war. lol if i made my own movie trilogy i would end part 2 on a MASSIVE cliff hanger, then make everyone wait 5-6 years for the conclusion.
If Disney Star Wars trilogy taught on us anything, you need some sort of road map/plan to work towards. Where would your movies take the story to? :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

Corpsepyre

Banned
Gizmodo review upped early, but taken down. Mentioned this:

It’s hard to talk about The Matrix Resurrections without ruining some of its most exciting surprises or, frankly, after having only seen it once. This is, even more than the first three movies, a film built for repeat viewing. Nevertheless, after two decades away, the main thing fans need to know is that Resurrections is an excellent Matrix sequel that knows what you think you want in a Matrix sequel, and gives it to you in ways you aren’t expecting. Sometimes those things don’t work, but mostly they do, and as a result I’m confident to say: The Matrix is back.

And Comicbook 4/5:

Top Bottom