• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Newtype's best characters of each decade. Animu stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

watatatow said:
T&A, ambiguously gay pretty boys, giant robots, non-generic protagonist (by anime "standards"), sheer unpredictability, shitloads of cheap thrills, and a huge train wreck appeal.

Why wouldn't it be popular?
Greatest anime ever made.

Anth0ny

1. Lelouch Lamperouge (Code Geass)
2. Kira Yamato (Gundam)
3. Athrun Zala (Gundam)
4. Edward Elric (Full Metal Alchemist)
5. Kyon (Haruhi)
6. Ryomo Echizen (Prince of Tennis)
7. Yuri Shibuya (Kyou Kara Mach)
8. Gintoki Sakata (Gintama)
9. Sousuke Sagara (Full Metal Panic!)
10. Hei (Darker than BLACK)
11. Roy Mustang (Full Metal Alchemist)
12. Haji (Blood +)
13. Ken Sugisaki (Seitokai no Ichizen)
14. Sanzo Genjyo (Saiyuki)
15. Tieria Erde (Gundam)
16. Shinichi Chiaki (Nodame Cantabile)
17. Shinn Asuka (Gundam)
18. Koyomi Araragi (Bakemonogatari)
19. Kazuma (Scryed)
20. Setsuna F. Seiei (Gundam)
21. Masamune Date (Sengoku BASARA)
22. Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

THE FUCK?

I'm not saying Luffy should be number one, but Lelouch definitely shouldn't be higher than him, let alone number 1 :lol

And Goku should be #1 on the 80's list, Kenshiro soon after. Come on now.

Where is L?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
What hilariously awful lists.

The 1980s females list is the only one even remotely somewhat in the right ballpark.

I especially enjoy Luffy being in the wrong decade (One Piece is a 1997 manga and a 1999 anime), and Hagi from Blood+ being near the top of the male list, when his big contribution to the show is being silent and getting impaled CONSTANTLY in fights. :lol

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
WyndhamPrice said:
No
o.jpg
???

what the fuck
This.

While I'm glad to see Miyazaki's characters do well, the lack of Misato Katsuragi in the 90's list just breaks my heart. :( Luckily Shinji is number 1 one on the male list, but Asuka deserves to be higher than Rei. :\ I'm not even going to touch the 2000's lists.
Kagari said:
I approve of this.
Does that mean SEED is somewhat worth watching?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's pretty obvious Lelouch Geassed the editors.

CassSept

Asuka > Rei

Top '00s male characters lacks L. While the second part of Death Note sucked, L definitely deserves a spot up there.

Is there anyone here who actually like Shinji and Rei as characters?

Rei is a damned robot and Ikari spends half the anime crying in self pity and cowardice.

I want to know why the fuck Utena Tenjou is not on this list.

I decided to count:

Top 30 '80s male characters:
5 from Gundam

Top 30 '80s female characters:
8 from Gundam

Top 30 '90s male characters:
7 from Gundam

Top 30 '90s female characters:
4 from Gundam

Top 30 '00s male characters:
6 from Gundam

Top 30 '00s female characters:
3 from Gundam

In total: 33 characters from Gundam appear on these lists.

thetechkid

ninj4junpei said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, what I'm trying to say is don't watch it.

Ctrl+F Vash and kamina, doesn't see, rages.

Sho_Nuff82 said:

Rei is a damned robot and Ikari spends half the anime crying in self pity and cowardice.
I actually think Shinji is a damn good character and Rei isn't that bad either. Misato and Asuka are way better than Rei though, even Ritsuko.

X26

Banned
Alucrid said:
Maybe I'm a biased motherfucker but I think that 99% of the 2000's list sucks.

has there even been a decent show worth watching in the last few years? one without little kids and perversity

wasn't that long ago good stuff was still being made like samurai champloo, now there's absolutely nothing decent

Dresden

X26 said:
has there even been a decent show worth watching in the last few years? one without little kids and perversity

wasn't that long ago good stuff was still being made like samurai champloo, now there's absolutely nothing decent
here we go again

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
ninj4junpei said:
While I'm glad to see Miyazaki's characters do well, the lack of Misato Katsuragi in the 90's list just breaks my heart. :( Luckily Shinji is number 1 one the male list, but Asuka deserves to be higher than Rei. :\ I'm not even going to touch the 2000's lists.

Nope, but my user name is based off the katakana spelling of that character's name, so... yeah.

Calcaneus said:
What exactly do people see in Rei?
Unfortunately, I think it really comes down to the sex appeal. :\
Kagari said:
Nope, but my user name is based off the katakana spelling of that character's name, so... yeah.
Ah, for a second there I thought that there might actually be a good character from SEED.
Dresden said:
here we go again
Have we had an anime thread without one of those posts?

CassSept

Sho_Nuff82 said:

I'd say Kaworu on second spot is bigger stretch than Shinji. I mean, I liked the character and think it was great, but he appeared in barely one episode. His combined appearances are under 30 minutes (that's including giant Kaworu from EoE).

Then again, you have to give it to Gainax if they made a character with such lasting impression, even though he had so few airtime compared to other characters.

ninj4junpei said:
I actually think Shinji is a damn good character and Rei isn't that bad either. Misato and Asuka are way better than Rei though, even Ritsuko.
How is Shinji a better character than Vash, Knives, or Wolfwood? How does he beat Spike?

How do neither Mugen or Jin get a nod?

Jubei from Ninja Scroll?

Am I watching all the wrong anime?

Why isn't Porco number one in the 90s exactly, I don't see any of these other 90s fuckers being voiced by both Michael Fucking Keaton and Jean Fucking Reno.

Good call for Lupin though.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
ninj4junpei said:
Ah, for a second there I thought that there might actually be a good character from SEED.

She is a good character. Unfortunately she got screwed over in the sequel. :/

mollipen

Sho_Nuff82 said:
How is Shinji a better character than Vash, Knives, or Wolfwood? How does he beat Spike?

Are you kidding? None of those characters can reach the deep emotional depths that Shinji can! Nor are they any match for the expert skills in sulking, whining, or being a doormat!

Dresden

shidoshi said:
Are you kidding? None of those characters can reach the deep emotional depths that Shinji can! Nor are they any match for the expert skills in sulking, whining, or being a doormat!
You can't have character depth without masturbating to an unconscious girl!

6. Ryomo Echizen (Prince of Tennis)
13. Ken Sugisaki (Seitokai no Ichizen)
19. Kazuma (Scryed)
25. Keroro (Keroro Gunsou)
27. Coud Van Giruet (Elemental Gelade)

I don't really care about how "correct" these lists are, but I feel that none of these characters deserve a spot on the list.

X26

Banned
Dresden said:
here we go again

and here I was hoping my post would get me some lists of newish stuff that proves me wrong

too bad, since I would love to check out a good, recent anime

shidoshi said:
Dresden said:
You can't have character depth without masturbating to an unconscious girl!
:lol I still <3 Shinji though.
Sho_Nuff82 said:
I actually like all of those characters too. Admittedly, Spike really should be number 1.

Dresden

I think Shinji is up there, tbh. Not sure if he is the 'best,' but Eva is so iconic that it's hard to argue against his inclusion. You could even say that the choice reflects the attitudes of that era.

But then again, this is fucking Newtype, they love their mecha shit. :lol

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
80s list isn't so bad. (for both male and female). It listed lupin three, nausicaa, legend of GALACTIC heroes, macross, CHAR from gundam.

No lafiel in 00 best female characters makes me very sad though.:(

watervengeance said:
I don't really care about how "correct" these lists are, but I feel that none of these characters deserve a spot on the list.
kazuma is fucking awesome. maybe you should go watch loli animu or something instead of MANLY MEN DOING MANLY THINGS

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Wow the entire main cast from season 1.

2. Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon (Sailor Moon)
7. Ami Mizuno/Sailor Mercury (Sailor Moon)
16. Minako Aino/Sailor Venus (Sailor Moon)
19. Rei Hino/Sailor Mars (Sailor Moon)
29. Makoto Kino/Sailor Jupiter (Sailor Moon)

7. Mamoru Chiba/Tuxedo Mask (Sailor Moon)

RabbitHighFive.jpg

Can I get some Griffith, Guts, Ippo Makunouchi, Shishio and Revy. Toboe (Wolfs Rain) was a good character too, but its easy to see why he'd get no list love.

shahkur

No Gatsu from Berserk, no L from Death Note, and no Mugen from Samurai Champloo. Wow, not such a good a list is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom