• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Newtype's best characters of each decade. Animu stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox318

GekigangerV said:
80's list is ok
90's list really is missing Naruto (although I am not as huge a fan as I used to be)
00's . . . Death Note missing is just wrong. I would like some Ippo in there as well.

If Tifa can be on the list then so should Chun-Li.
If the list included Naruto nobody would be able to agree on which characters should be on the list.

List is better off without them.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Popular characters in popular anime win a popularity contest. It's like the most logical series of events ever.

Fox318

DominoKid said:
i'm just as flabbergasted. imo he's the most bitchmade character in all of anime.
8sjTw.png

I love him being at the top. He is one of the most flawed characters in Anime and throughout the series you really get a chance to see his growth and his character change. You also get to see his life fall apart around him and watch him struggle with the idea of what is the meaning of his life.

Tied with Asuka for me.

Fox318 said:
also where the hell is Misato?
Fox318 said:
I love him being at the top. He is one of the most flawed characters in Anime and throughout the series you really get a chance to see his growth and his character change. You also get to see his life fall apart around him and watch him struggle with the idea of what is the meaning of his life.

Tied with Asuka for me.
2z4grp2.jpg

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Fox318 said:
If the list included Naruto nobody would be able to agree on which characters should be on the list.

List is better off without them.
The fight over Sasuke vs. Naruto would rage for days.

Replicant

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Looking at the lists evolving decade by decade, it seems like Japanese viewers just weigh yaoi/loli fanservice and giant robots more and more.

How the fuck else do you explain Kaworu being in 2 episodes and being considered one of the greatest characters of all time?

While Newtype mostly focused on anime, it also branches into manga. Kaworu is featured rather prominently in the manga and while I won't call him the 2nd greatest character, he was used in an interesting way by Sadamoto. He actually highlights the possibility that Shinji can turn into his old man (a user) if he wasn't grounded by his pain/suffering.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
To tie off my Shinji/Rei rant, I appreciate that they're two of the most loved characters in Anime from one of the most loved shows. But to say they're particularly deep or well-written would be akin to making a videogame list about best characters and putting Master Chief, Doom Marine, or Link. They aren't so much great characters as they are memorable avatars for the audience's roleplaying.

Your idea of a well-written character can be on someone else's shit list and vice versa. Everytime you declare something as better, someone else have different opinion. Newtype basically aggregates the opinion of their readers and they chose those characters. Am I completely happy? No. But it doesn't make their opinion any less valid. I can see your point about Kaworu but Shinji and Rei were actually well-realized characters. They made their mistakes and in the most pivotal moment of their lives, they made the best decision for everyone with whatever little power they had. To me Shinji's final decision in EoE despite his painful experience with humans in general, as well as Rei's rejection of Gendou based on her experience with him vs her experience with Shinji show great character development on their part.

ampere

I wish Spike were higher for the 90s, and I'm shocked that Vash isn't even on there. At least Luffy made the list for 2000s and Lelouch isn't a bad choice for number 1, that first season was great.

Regulus Tera said:
I'm saying Luffy is original series Dragon Ball Son Goku with the ability to stretch.

Which is not bad. I looooved Dragon Ball. It's just that every other Straw Hat pirate has a more interesting backstory and personality to peruse.
Have you read the more recent (past few weeks) jump chapters of One Piece? I think Luffy is very goofy on the surface but there's some really interesting stuff in his backstory and his personality shows through his interactions with his crew members and mentors. Just gotta give the series time to flesh everything out I think :p

Fox318

Himuro said:
Jacking off on a comatose spunky red head.

God Shinji sucks.
Honestly that scene is one of the best in the series/films. Look at what Shinji just endured.

Father has been performing genetic experiment on Rei with the possible connection to his mother.
He almost killed his best friend
His adoptive parent has been using him as a tool for revenge in her own sick plot against the Angels
He just killed the one person who was there for Shinji when Asuka was out.
Misato is making sexual advances on her after the loss of Kaji
Kaji's dead
His relationship with Asuka was deteriorating despite his attempts to try and become closer with Asuka(Hedgehogs dilemma)

The kid when through hell before and all that he worked for to try and build a normal life has been destroyed. His one last friend, the one person he admires for her strength and her personalty. The only person which Shinji has any true feelings for is lying in a state of complete weakness. When he starts breaking down begging for her to wake up and she is exposed he uses her as a source of pleasure, and a source of escape from his own cruel and twisted world. However perverse it is it illustrate how desperate this young boy is looking for some way out and someone who he can help him get through the many twists and turns of life.

Replicant

Technosteve said:
Joke right? who the fuck thought he was a good character? He was in the show for two episodes! Spike not being in the top 5 is fucking sickening.

Kaworu in 2 episodes+EoE was far more developed than Spike Spiegel in an entire 24 episodes. He learned that he's nothing more than a tool for SEELE but with little power he has, he hands the fate of humanity to one person he thinks will make the best decision for his kind.

What do we know about Spike? Apart from the fact that he's pussy-whipped to a bitch called Julia and was almost dead in the hand of Vicious? Sure, he's cool and all but that doesn't amount to character development. He was a chain-smoker at the start of the series and still is a chain-smoker at the end of the series.

Fox318 said:
Honestly that scene is one of the best in the series/films. Look at what Shinji just endured.

Father has been performing genetic experiment on Rei with the possible connection to his mother.
He almost killed his best friend
His adoptive parent has been using him as a tool for revenge in her own sick plot against the Angels
He just killed the one person who was there for Shinji when Asuka was out.
Misato is making sexual advances on her after the loss of Kaji
Kaji's dead
His relationship with Asuka was deteriorating despite his attempts to try and become closer with Asuka(Hedgehogs dilemma)

The kid when through hell before and all that he worked for to try and build a normal life has been destroyed. His one last friend, the one person he admires for her strength and her personalty. The only person which Shinji has any true feelings for is lying in a state of complete weakness. When he starts breaking down begging for her to wake up and she is exposed he uses her as a source of pleasure, and a source of escape from his own cruel and twisted world. However perverse it is it illustrate how desperate this young boy is looking for some way out and someone who he can help him get through the many twists and turns of life.

See, I thought this was going to be Shinji's lowpoint in the "irredeemable and insufferable jerkass pussy" scale, but then he went into a state of living death in Nerv headquarters during the attack and simply allowed everyone around him, including Misato, his only remaining friend, to die instead of doing anything a responsible/fearful/caring/angry/vengeful/desperate human being would have done.

I don't really see how there's anything understandable about his behavior, he's like the protagonist from the Kite Runner without the "here I'll take the ass-kicking I deserved for 20 years that finally redeems me" scene at the end because he allows everyone to constantly walk over him for the entire series.

Replicant

Sho_Nuff82 said:
See, I thought this was going to be Shinji's lowpoint in the "irredeemable and insufferable jerkass pussy" scale, but then he went into a state of living death in Nerv headquarters during the attack and simply allowed everyone around him, including Misato, his only remaining friend, to die instead of doing anything a responsible/fearful/caring/angry/vengeful/desperate human being would have done.

I don't really see how there's anything understandable about his behavior, he's like the protagonist from the Kite Runner without the "here I'll take the ass-kicking I deserved for 20 years that finally redeems me" scene at the end.

He's a 15 year old boy who had to kill his own friend. You expect him to just snap out of it instead of cowering in terror while there are shootouts going on around him? That's realistic. I like to see you not turning catatonic during shootouts, while your friends have been dying left and right while you're that age. It's easy to talk big when you're not in similar situation yourself. Even the NERV crews were left quivering in terror.

The film highlighted the fact that they are just civilians thrust into war situation. They normally fight against faceless entities called Angels. All of a sudden their enemies are human beings. These people never took anyone's life before and understandably horrified at the idea of having to do that. Shinji took a human life and he's traumatized for good and couldn't snap out of it easily. Misato's death snapped him out and forced him to pilot the EVA but then he finds that the stupid robot is encrusted in bakelite. By the time the robot suddenly moves out of its own volition, he finds out that it's all too late and went insane.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
1990's best male characters:
Crtl F "Ryoga Hibiki".... :(
Crtl F "Tuxedo Mask"..... :(

1990's best female characters:
Crtl F "Rei Hino" .... :D
Crtl F "Utena" ..... :(

I also noticed that Sakura from CCS is there along with Asuka, so the female list is not that bad. Screw you Japan, I guess we don't have the same favorite 90's male characters.

Top 30 2000's Male Characters:
1. Lelouch Lamperouge (Code Geass)
4. Edward Elric (Full Metal Alchemist)
8. Gintoki Sakata (Gintama)
9. Sousuke Sagara (Full Metal Panic!)
10. Hei (Darker than BLACK)
11. Roy Mustang (Full Metal Alchemist)
22. Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)
23. Syaoran (Tsubasa Chronicle)

I like most of the list, but absent is Light and L from Death Note >_>

Top 30 2000's Female Characters:
5. Haruhi Suzumiya (Haruhi)
6. C.C. (Code Geass)
7. Sakura Shinguji (Sakura Wars)
9. Hitagi Senjyogahara (Bakemonogatan)
10. Saber (Saber Marionette)
11. Teletha Testarossa (Full Metal Panic!)
12. Motoko Kusanagi (Ghost in the Shell)
13. Riza Hawkeye (Full Metal Alchemist)
14. Mikoto Misaka (Toaru Majutsu no Index)
15. Hinagiku Katsura (Hayate the Combat Butler!)
17. Kallen Stadtfeld (Code Geass)
20. Kagome Higarashi (InuYasha)
25. Haruhi Fujioka (Ouran High School Host Club)

Holy shit, I love this list. Every single one of my favorites is represented, except Mio from K-On.

dschalter

Conan Edgar (Detective Conan)

Couldn't even spell his name right... Though it's good to see DC acknowledged, neither Ran nor Conan are particularly interesting as people so I found it sort of silly for them to be on the list.

Fox318

Sho_Nuff82 said:

I don't really see how there's anything understandable about his behavior, he's like the protagonist from the Kite Runner without the "here I'll take the ass-kicking I deserved for 20 years that finally redeems me" scene at the end because he allows everyone to constantly walk over him for the entire series.
I can't say I disagree with you. But he is dealing with suicidal thoughts and a wish for all of the pain to go away. Shinji was the badass that did try and save everyone when he rushed back to Nerv. So all of his decisions would have made sense had Asuka not been alive and fighting outside. Maybe he was afraid of seeing her after he used her in such a disgusting manner.

Pirabear

Banned
Not sure why everyone is surprised. Newtype makes top character list all the time...all of which are extremely Gundam/Sunrise centric and not very good.

Hcoregamer00

CassSept said:
Asuka > Rei

Top '00s male characters lacks L. While the second part of Death Note sucked, L definitely deserves a spot up there.

This post is double win, I prefer Asuka over Rei also.

Blablurn said:
where the fuck are light and L?

I said the same thing, Light Yagami and L are two of the best manga characters to be made in a long time.

leroy hacker said:
I want to know why the fuck Utena Tenjou is not on this list.

Lambtron said:
No Utena in the 90s list = auto fucking fail.

<3 Utena-Gaf

shintoki said:
Also about Lulu being the top of 2000. AWESOMELY FABULOUS! BRING ON MORE CODE GEASS.

I agree, Lelouch was freaking awesome.

hteng

Banned
Alucrid said:
Maybe I'm a biased motherfucker but I think that 99% of the 2000's list sucks.

yea agree, especially those gundam seed bitches, 80s and 90s for the win!

oh woah Patlabor characters made it into the list, i'm quite surprised (Male should have been Gotoh though).

No Gotoh on that list. And Asuma got on!? WTF!?

seconded lol

this is proof that animes are pretty teenager centric

Ikael

These are horrible, horrible lists. WTF @ the absence of Cowboy Beebop, Grave of the Fireflies or Black Lagoon, and many others. Agh, this is the problem with modern anime: not a lack of quality, but rather the triumpth of mediocre, derivative animes over the really good ones.

hteng

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:

i like you, you should watch some gaogaigar or gurren lagann

Replicant said:
Kaworu in 2 episodes+EoE was far more developed than Spike Spiegel in an entire 24 episodes. He learned that he's nothing more than a tool for SEELE but with little power he has, he hands the fate of humanity to one person he thinks will make the best decision for his kind.

What do we know about Spike? Apart from the fact that he's pussy-whipped to a bitch called Julia and was almost dead in the hand of Vicious? Sure, he's cool and all but that doesn't amount to character development. He was a chain-smoker at the start of the series and still is a chain-smoker at the end of the series.

Sorry No, Spike is memorable, Kaworu; he came from the moon.

Hcoregamer00

Ikael said:
These are horrible, horrible lists. WTF @ the absence of Cowboy Beebop, Grave of the Fireflies or Black Lagoon, and many others. Agh, this is the problem with modern anime: not a lack of quality, but rather the triumpth of mediocre, derivative animes over the really good ones.

That's true, what is popular is not the best quality, and people use what is popular as a measuring stick for the whole industry.

Hcoregamer00

DrForester said:
? He's #7

Yeah, I didn't type in the right name :lol

I am also kind of disappointed Sailor Pluto and Sailor Saturn didn't make it, but I guess it would be Sailor Moon overkill.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Hcoregamer00 said:
Yeah, I didn't type in the right name :lol

I am also kind of disappointed Sailor Pluto and Sailor Saturn didn't make it, but I guess it would be Sailor Moon overkill.

She was demoted

hteng

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
Newtype is supposedly read by girls in Japan, right?

what are you talking about ? it's read by most anime fans male or female, although it is very common for the magazine to put up gundam stuff regularly (newtype name comes from gundam afterall).

there's an american version too.

Belfast

As I'm sure has been stated numerous times in this thread already:

Monkey D. Luffy got robbed, but it's nice to see Gintama characters placing relatively high (Gintoki for Male 2000s, Kagura for Female 2000s). Certainly better choices than those Naruto and Bleach shitheels.

Dresden

What cracks me up is how Mari from the new Eva movie is on there. For what, 15 minutes of screentime, a majority of which was spent with her fighting shit in a giant robot? Lol readers.

May16

So, from the 90's...
Take the top 3 girls and top 3 guys...
And Evangelion has 4/6 of those characters.

Hey man, I like the series -- a lot -- but to stick its characters in there SO HIGH just because the series itself was cool is really lame. Plus lifeless Rei and superdumb Kaoru shouldn't be on there. Shinji number one? Really? ...Really?

Only 1 member of Cowboy Bebop's amazing cast makes it while anyone and everyone from Gundam and Sailor Moon make the cut?

Mandoric

Banned
hteng said:
what are you talking about ? it's read by most anime fans male or female, although it is very common for the magazine to put up gundam stuff regularly (newtype name comes from gundam afterall).

there's an american version too.

Not anymore!

Jex

Shouta said:
No Gotoh on that list. And Asuma got on!? WTF!?

Wait, what? As if the list hadn't already commuted enough crimes against sanity!

Oh well, dumb lists are dumb, no surprise here.

Kusagari

Regulus Tera said:
Luffy is to One Piece what Seiya was to Saint Seiya -any uninteresting protagonist who exists as so solely because he's the archetype used in the shounen genre and who is outclassed by the supporting cast in likeability.

Sounds like you just described Ichigo.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Dresden said:
What cracks me up is how Mari from the new Eva movie is on there. For what, 15 minutes of screentime, a majority of which was spent with her fighting shit in a giant robot? Lol readers.
She had more character in those 15 minutes than Rei did in one whole series and a full set of movies.

Dresden said:
Did she have a boob pop out or something during those 15 minutes? :lol

Fuzz Rez

Banned
o_O Onizuka is not on the list ? Isn't GTO one of most successful anime/manga series in Japan ? Also no Hajime No Ippo characters on that list is also travesty :mad:

And man, looking that 80's list really reminds me how cool sci-fi shows Japan could once deliver. Galaxy Express 999 and Galactic Heroes <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom