• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Newtype's best characters of each decade. Animu stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
X26 said:
and here I was hoping my post would get me some lists of newish stuff that proves me wrong

too bad, since I would love to check out a good, recent anime
What you said is pretty much taken as a trollish phrase nowadays. I'd give you a list, but I don't care right now since I want to finish watching Dexter.

S. L.

leroy hacker said:
I want to know why the fuck Utena Tenjou is not on this list.

I decided to count:

Top 30 '80s male characters:
5 from Gundam

Top 30 '80s female characters:
8 from Gundam

In total: 33 characters from Gundam appear on these lists.
all 80s Gundam characters are rightfully on that list
so awesome

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
ninj4junpei said:
I just realized that Fei Valentine is absent from the 90's list. :( That's just depressing.

My understanding is that Bebop was not very popular in Japan.

And her VA was not a good fit for the character in Japanese

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
DrForester said:
My understanding is that Bebop was not very popular in Japan.

And her VA was not a good fit for the character in Japanese
Well she was amazingly cast in the US, as are all the characters in Bebop.

No Harry Ord? this list is irrelevant.

jkvm1f.jpg

the fucking man

not gonna even get into the lack of Kamina

7Th

Only native English-speakers prefer Bebop's American dub over the original. In fact, I actually like the Catalonian dub better.

Blader

7Th said:
Only native English-speakers prefer Bebop's American dub over the original. In fact, I actually like the Catalonian dub better.

I'm pretty sure Watanabe himself prefers Bebop's English dub.

7Th said:

So you're saying people that have mostly spoken english their whole lives...prefer the english version.

You sir, are a genius. I applaud you.

7Th

Blader5489 said:
I'm pretty sure Watanabe himself prefers Bebop's English dub.

[citation required]

Wormdundee said:
So you're saying people that have mostly spoken english their whole lives...prefer the english version.

You sir, are a genius. I applaud you.

No, I'm saying that ONLY native English speakers prefer the English version. Learn to reading comprehension.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The fact that Kira Yamato and Athrun Zala are near the top of the 2000's list is a testament to how bad anime has become.

Arthrus

I was kind of hoping to see more Ghost in the Shell characters. Most of Section 9 are likable, dynamic, and contrast/complement each other well.

togasa.jpg

God I love the 1980-90's list... best decade of anime no question. Things will never be the same... 00's are the proof of a drop in quality :(

Gotta get myself a Lupin blu-ray / DVD collection or something...

Mandoric

Banned
I find it hilarious that this list is 'biased' and 'wrong' when it's the results of a reader response poll.

Tieria as the highest-ranked 00 guy fuck yeah. :lol

Kukuk

Banned
It pains me to see Bakemonogatari characters on there, especially the really cliche ones.

Typical harem lead and typical tsundere character? Those should be on no one's list of best characters.

Alex

I don't even watch anime at all anymore but... Good Lord, this is the worst list of all lists, ever.

*search: Justy Ueki Tylor*

*0/0*

Mother fucker...

charsace

Seriously, Rahxephon is the best anime of the 2000's. Kamina should be at the top or near the top of this list. Well written plot, diverse characters, great animation and music.

thetrin said:
The fact that Kira Yamato and Athrun Zala are near the top of the 2000's list is a testament to how bad anime has become.
Don't be so cynical. We're talking about a list compiled by Newtype's reader base.

I need to rewatch RahXephon. I loved it back when I first watched it, even more so than Evangelion. Though over the years my appreciation for Evangelion has grown a lot more than it.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
ninj4junpei said:
Don't be so cynical. We're talking about a list compiled by Newtype's reader base.
That explains the rankings for the recent ones.'

Himuro said:
The best anime tv series of the 2000's goes to either Ghost in the Shell: SAC or Gankutsuoh: Count of Monte Cristo.
This is true.

Himuro said:
I can't remember anything Rei Ayanami said or did in Evangelion.

Goddamn, Rei sucks.

Asuka 4 lyfe

I still remember that scene where auska got upskirted by some dude, that in exchange dropped his pants.

From there on she won me over :lol

God I miss those days of watching anime with the pals...

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Regulus Tera said:
Why the fuck would anyone consider Shinji Ikari the best male character of the nineties?

Just what was the criteria?

He was very influential for every weenie male lead in anime from then on out.

Replicant

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Is there anyone here who actually like Shinji and Rei as characters?

Rei is a damned robot and Ikari spends half the anime crying in self pity and cowardice.

Shinji IS an interesting character. You have to look at this list with the realization that most Japanese viewers are not bogged down with macho-ism bullshit that some of us are fixated on. To them it's okay to have a protagonist who's incredibly flawed and weak. The other point is that Shinji was a teenager who's learning how to understand people better. He fucked up terribly but it's not like he's done growing up.

Calcaneus

DrForester said:
Imagine Evangelion if the characters were likable and had social skills.
That kinda makes it a completely different kind of show, though. The point of most of Eva's characters were that they were fucked up.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Himuro said:
Himura Kenshin, Luffy, and Spike are too low on the 90's list and Shinji Ikari is too high.

Evangelion *rolls eyes*
Luffy is a shitty character and doesn't deserve to be it on all.

And how the fuck did they mess up the YuYu cast. All 4 are great, but no way in hell should Hiei and Kurama be above Yusuke, and the mother fucking man Kuwabara!

Also about Lulu being the top of 2000. AWESOMELY FABULOUS! BRING ON MORE CODE GEASS.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
DrForester said:

The list makes no fucking sense. Son Goku, Kurama, Spike, and the like have nothing in common with Shinji besides having a penis.

Replicant said:
Shinji IS an interesting character. You have to look at this list with the realization that most Japanese viewers are not bogged down with macho-ism bullshit that some of us are fixated on. To them it's okay to have a protagonist who's incredibly flawed and weak. The other point is that Shinji was a teenager who's learning how to understand people better. He fucked up terribly but it's not like he's done growing up.

I agree with this though.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Ctrl F Berserk, "no matches found"

Fuck that shit.

Oh and Rahxephon is basically a more colorful, happier version of Evangelion.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Luffy is to One Piece what Seiya was to Saint Seiya -any uninteresting protagonist who exists as so solely because he's the archetype used in the shounen genre and who is outclassed by the supporting cast in likeability.

DrForester said:
Imagine Evangelion if the characters were likable and had social skills.
People like saying that, but that is by no means an apt description of RahXephon. RahXephon is more about a love story than anything else.
Himuro said:
The best anime tv series of the 2000's goes to either Ghost in the Shell: SAC or Gankutsuoh: Count of Monte Cristo.
I still need to see Gankutsuoh. Also, Planetes says, "hi".

Replicant said:

Looking at the lists evolving decade by decade, it seems like Japanese viewers just weigh yaoi/loli fanservice and giant robots more and more.

How the fuck else do you explain Kaworu being in 2 episodes and being considered one of the greatest characters of all time?

I remember watching a few episodes of the original .hack and thinking "Eww, they got Shinji all over the protagonist."

Himuro said:

This x1000.

Also, Albert, The Count, and Franz are definitely great characters, and definitely don't fall into the macho-ism of the characters I mentioned above (there are fairly strong homosexual undertones in the series between Albert/Count and Albert/Franz).

To tie off my Shinji/Rei rant, I appreciate that they're two of the most loved characters in Anime from one of the most loved shows. But to say they're particularly deep or well-written would be akin to making a videogame list about best characters and putting Master Chief, Doom Marine, or Link. They aren't so much great characters as they are memorable avatars for the audience's roleplaying.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Himuro said:
Are you saying that Luffy only exists because he's an archetype or because of Seiya?

What is wrong with you people? How can you not find Luffy a good main character? He carries the whole cast on his shoulders.

I'm saying Luffy is original series Dragon Ball Son Goku with the ability to stretch.

Which is not bad. I looooved Dragon Ball. It's just that every other Straw Hat pirate has a more interesting backstory and personality to peruse.

Fox318

Top 30 1990's Female Characters:
1. Rei Ayanami (Evangelion)
2. Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon (Sailor Moon)
3. Asuka Langley Soryu (Evangelion)
syxm2q.jpg

also where the hell is Misato?

How is the most hypocritical character on Evangelion not on the list?

80's list is ok
90's list really is missing Naruto (although I am not as huge a fan as I used to be)
00's . . . Death Note missing is just wrong. I would like some Ippo in there as well.

If Tifa can be on the list then so should Chun-Li.

DominoKid

Regulus Tera said:
Why the fuck would anyone consider Shinji Ikari the best male character of the nineties?

Just what was the criteria?

i'm just as flabbergasted. imo he's the most bitchmade character in all of anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom