• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG-20200819-WA0044.jpg

Oh fuck...
hqdefault.jpg

kyliethicc

Dang so Lockhart could be holding the XSXs I/O back due to cost issues.

I never thought of it that way but it makes sense because both have to have the same I/O.
If anything thing is holding back Xbox 1st party games, its PC and Xbox One. Most PC gamers use SATA SSDs or HDDs (and Xbox One has a slow HDD too.)

Because all Xbox Studios games are PC games, they can't build a SSD for their console that would make PC ports impossible. They have to hold back in cost for Series S too sure, but they also have to consider PCs for all their games. Unlike Sony.

If anything thing is holding back Xbox 1st party games, its PC and Xbox One. Most PC gamers use SATA SSDs or HDDs (and Xbox One has a slow HDD too.)

Because all Xbox Studios games are PC games, they can't build a SSD for their console that would make PC ports impossible. They have to hold back in cost for Series S too sure, but they also have to consider PCs for all their games. Unlike Sony.

They can always make SSDs a requirement but they would lose a ton of sales and gamepass subscriptions if they did that.

kyliethicc

So I'm pretty sure this is drawing shows the differences between how the Xbox Series X and PS5 SSD's are set up. Hopefully this helps anyone who doesnt get the whole lanes/channels thing.

Of course no, its not to scale or too serious, just to show how the internal interfaces and external interfaces compare.

And yes, I'm assuming the XSX uses 4 channels and 4 nand dies. It could be a bit different, like maybe 2 or 8 nand dies.

VO3Mfbe.jpg

So I'm pretty sure this is drawing shows the differences between how the Xbox Series X and PS5 SSD's are set up. Hopefully this helps anyone who doesnt get the whole lanes/channels thing.

Of course no, its not to scale or too serious, just to show how the internal interfaces and external interfaces compare.

And yes, I'm assuming the XSX uses 4 channels and 4 nand dies. It could be a bit different, like maybe 2 or 8 nand dies.

VO3Mfbe.jpg

The only disadvantage that I see with the PS5s I/O is that the chips are smaller.

I don't know if this will cause any issues though.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The XSX seems to just be using 2 or 4 large density NAND dies. I doubt they are using 16 NAND dies in a drive this small. They are probably just buying larger density chips.

Their SSD looks like its 22 x 30 mm (like a M.2). It proably has 4 internal channels and then uses 2 lanes of PCIe Gen 4.

32WNYgY.jpg

Looks like both are the same size, speed, and density. Probably both made by Seagate.

They are both using 4 lanes, as shown on all graphs. Seen your other post as well. Let's not forget it's a read/write process, so you need them working in parallel?

kyliethicc

They are both using 4 lanes, as shown on all graphs. Seen your other post as well. Let's not forget it's a read/write process, so you need them working in parallel?
Nope. Xbox Series X only uses 2 lanes of PCIe Gen 4 for its SSD. It uses 2 more lanes for the Expansion Card. 2 lanes allows for up to 4 GB/s, so they don't need anymore than 2 per drive.

m2gXfx7.jpg

Seagate also confirms the Expansion Card only uses 2 lanes of PCIe Gen 4.

IGxNWZf.jpg

And consoles dont do much writing, only when installing games or patches. Saving game, etc.

Last edited:

TrippleA345

I can't imagine decompressing half of a texture from an SSD if that makes any sense.

I'm assuming you decompress the whole thing but you only store what you need in ram.

Yeah i understand, but the Software and Computer Industry surprise me every time what is Possible. In my studies there were also some things in computer science that surprised me, but as you say, unlikely that compressed data can be partially loaded for sfs.

TrippleA345

I think PS5 I/O is generation ahead of anything that exists on PC market.
At least for the 99% read workloads.

Generalization: Ps5 i/o (unit) is considerably more powerful/faster than any other gaming system currently available.
Because, for example, the DMA Controller in the I/O unit isnt new technology. Thats why is not "generation ahead", its just playing in his own league. Nothing can compet against it.

Last edited:

Lethal01

So how is SFS supposed to make up the difference?

It's what some people are saying and I don't really understand it.
SFS makes up the difference because you can use it to only load a specific part of a specific LOD. Meaning instead of loading a whole 10mb of texture data you might only need to load 2mb. Microsoft is saying due to only needing to load 40% of the textures their console would actually outperform a SSD that's 2.5x but has no SFS.

If anyone thinks they are wrong feel free to say why.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

I'm not convinced that the PS5 SSD will cost THAT much more than the XSX SSD. It all depends on how much more costly the 12 channels and 2 extra lanes of PCIe 4 are.

I assume Sony went with 12 channels to hit their speed goal without having to buy faster NAND, so it must cost less relatively to add more channels than to buy faster flash dies.

(Just like Microsoft chose to use a wider bus for their memory, instead of buying faster GDDR6.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom