• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

sircaw

Banned
SONY FANBOYS NEED SOME SORT OF GOTCHA RIGHT NOW

Why? Have you seen the games sony people are getting on their console at release?

What will you be playing? Got something to compare to demon souls or SM-mm, i did not think so.

Rachet and clank is coming with in the first 3-6 months, how are your titles looking.

Hows that footage going on your console, waiting i see.

Please don't tell me its multiplats your looking forward to cos if it is, you're missing out on the best version if you don't get a Ps5, that's right a much better ssd + sound engine plus a controller that with actually give you a next-gen experience. its already been confirmed ps5 is 60 fps 4k, their goes another fallacy of yours.

But what's the bet your getting a ps5 anyway, i be you are, playing it in secret in your bedroom.

More preorders tomorrow, don't forget to get yours. "lollipop_disappointed:
Enjoy your so-called gotcha moment, by the sounds of it it will be lasting about 3 years why you wait for your games.

:messenger_grinning:

Last edited:

DeeDogg_

Banned
Why? Have you seen the games sony people are getting on their console at release?

What will you be playing? Got something to compare to demon souls or SM-mm, i did not think so.

Rachet and clank is coming with in the first 3-6 months, how are your titles looking.

Hows that footage going on your console, waiting i see.

Please don't tell me its multiplats your looking forward to cos if it is, you're missing out on the best version if you don't get a Ps5, that's right a much better ssd + sound engine plus a controller that with actually give you a next-gen experience. its already been confirmed ps5 is 60 fps 4k, their goes another fallacy of yours.

But what's the bet your getting a ps5 anyway, i be you are, playing it in secret in your bedroom.

Enjoy your so-called gotcha moment, by the sounds of it it will be lasting about 3 years why you wait for your games.

:messenger_grinning:
You’re so mad you wrote an entire essay that I will not read. 🙃

For the record, im not saying believe the 4 chan leak. But for the people dismissing it because of what

One month of sales with the drop off collapsing 2 months later isnt good. It means the word of mouth has been atrocious, and anyone paying attention to TLOU2 couldve seen that coming from a mile away.
In terms of player growth, TLOU2 is growing as fast as... Days Gone. The game had such a huge launch to the point it looked like it was poised to perform similarly to Spider-Man. And then, the growth rate just plummeted. Launch aligned, Horizon is doing significantly better. Ghost of Tsushima is adding players at a greater pace, too. The kicker out of all of this is that I'm comparing TLOU2 to new IPs.

I'd have to agree. Obviously, MS's biggest play in gaming at the moment is GP, thus, they will probably be looking for a ROI from the Bethesda deal via growth in subscriptions. The Xbox and PC sales would just be on top of that. But they did continue to leave MC on every platform available, so, anything is possible.
There is absolutely nothing that connects Minecraft to a blockbuster next-gen RPG though.
Minecraft had already sold 50mill copies on every platform possible BEFORE ms decided to buy it.
Starfield, along with Avowed and the next Elder Scrolls, they will serve as motivations to join microsoft's eco system, and they will be doing that for a long-long time

Last edited:
this video is out of whack...
what about the fact that -at least S- targets those who want a cheap point of entry into next-gen?
add gamepass to series S for value, and you can see where this goes....

also, dude starts by basically saying the $100 price difference is insignificant, then spends two minutes discussing why ps5 should undercut series X by ....$50 :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

there's no need to be upset.gif

oh yes, Series S, people want it so bad that it isn't sold out yet :messenger_tears_of_joy:
and Microsoft believes so much in that console that we saw pictures of stores having 1 or 2 of them lol
only one who is upset is you, every time a good PS5 news come out.
I understand, I would also be upset if I bought most powerful console in the world, Series X, and have no exclusives at launch :messenger_grimmacing_

Andodalf

Banned
In terms of player growth, TLOU2 is growing as fast as... Days Gone. The game had such a huge launch to the point it looked like it was poised to perform similarly to Spider-Man. And then, the growth rate just plummeted. Launch aligned, Horizon is doing significantly better. Ghost of Tsushima is adding players at a greater pace, too. The kicker out of all of this is that I'm comparing TLOU2 to new IPs.

Spider-Man feels almost unfair, it's one of the Biggest I.P. in the world, beyond gaming

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Yeah..and THIS is part of what Microsoft sees as long term competition. On the other hand AWS and others are going to have more struggles with Sony when it comes to exclusives, etc. It's pretty clear that a number of players are making a push to change the gaming market into a subscription-only service. We'll have to see how it goes.

Everyone was talking about Microsoft getting one over on Sony with the Bethesda acquisition. But they were looking in the wrong direction.

Only 30fps on old game with the monster 🤔

Forza Horizon 3 is a 2016 game that next week gets de-listed from the microsoft store.
They are just stating that it will be backward compatible in order to catch a final sale.
FYI it is native 4k on xbone x since the day it was released.

Forza Horizon 4, an already 2-year old game is getting enhanced, and it will be native 4k 60fps on X, along with whatever else improvements they will do.

What's happening here is the absolute definition of grasping at straws

Its like saying that sony is bad because they offer for free the next-gen enhancments for TLOU2, but didn't make enhancements for TLOU1, and TLOU1 is about to be de-listed.

Last edited:

xacto

In my mind i see Tron motorbike

In my mind, I see Quorra. I swear, man, at times, you're so strange... even for a fish 😂

xd5krXJ.png

oh yes, Series S, people want it so bad that it isn't sold out yet :messenger_tears_of_joy:
and Microsoft believes so much in that console that we saw pictures of stores having 1 or 2 of them lol
only one who is upset is you, every time a good PS5 news come out.
I understand, I would also be upset if I bought most powerful console in the world, Series X, and have no exclusives at launch :messenger_grimmacing_
Series S is not a console aimed for the hard-core gamers, but for the price-sensitive.
Pre-orders of an unreleased console usually attract the former, not the latter.

I can see that everything inside your head is a milk-shake right now, mixing it all up with "no exclusives"
I am pretty sure this new generation is going to be great ...fun for you :messenger_smiling_horns:

jose4gg

If Tomorrow PS announce factions behind TLOU2 paywall, expect a big jump in sales, TLOU2 is not a failure in terms of sells, but it is not the same loved game that it was before...

For anyone taking this route for preorders make sure to click your personal link on the browser you plan to preorder from.

Several people hung around in a general queue for 30-60 minutes that didn't lead to the PS5 page when they had direct access to the preorders with a much shorter wait.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting comments from Matt Hargett in RGT's podcast on the benefits of a super fast I/O.

Matt thinks the biggest benefits of the SSD won't be no loading and gameplay design (like long corridors or elevators) but it instead it will be much more efficient use of RAM which will be a significant upgrade over current gen.

This is because the fast I/O will allow only what's in the immediate field of view to be streamed in and out instantly instead of anything which is much further away and out of view. Matt called the data which is in the field of view and relevant as "warm/hot" data and the much further data as "cold". This will also allow the developers to stream in much more polygon/triangle heavy assets as well as much higher quality textures to the point were the GPU may become the bottleneck because can it even render such high polygon assets and high resolution textures fast enough?

Can we speculate on the math of this? I'm not good with numbers so hopefully someone can do a better job than me.

PS4 had 8 GB of RAM and 4.5 GB of it was available for the game, keep in mind this 4.5 GB the game was using would most likely be made up of 50-60% of cold data which was not even in the field of view and irrelevant for the next few seconds of gameplay, this was due to the constraints of the slow HDD. Considering this, developer were still able to create jaw dropping visuals and graphics like we saw in Uncharted 4, Last of Us 2 and God of War.

Now let's think about the RAM usage on the PS5, it's 16 GB total and how much will be available for the game? does 2 GB sound like a fair figure for the OS RAM reserve? maybe more but let's run with the numbers. Now the PS5 would have 14 GB of RAM available to the developer and for the game, that's a 200% increase over the PS4. More importantly this 14 GB of RAM will only need to be filled with hot/warm data thanks to the PS5's SSD and would contain zero cold data, the potential for this is insane when you think about it.

This is all speculation of course and I might have gotten some of the numbers wrong but would be curious to know what everyone else thinks?

one site here in Croatia opened pre-orders for games today and new wave of PS5 consoles will be on sale tomorrow.
it's nice that they are selling games at a discount.
games in Croatia were always 500kn (77$) which is a lot and now you can see prices of 599kn (92$) . damn
btw. I bought Destruction AS and will wait for Godfall to show up or buy COD.
I love car combat games and that last Godfall trailer looked nice and colorful.
I'll wait couple of weeks after launch for people to start selling their Spiderman MM copies

bfo6Zsq.png

Dibils2k

Only 30fps on old game with the monster 🤔

do all these people realize Horizon 4 is the new game and Horizon 3 is an old game thats even been discontinued...

Horizon 4 will be 4k/60fps, since you know its actually getting a patch. what you see with Horizon 3 is automatic upgrade using just backwards compatibility which is incredible

Last edited:

GreyHand23

this video is out of whack...
what about the fact that -at least S- targets those who want a cheap point of entry into next-gen?
add gamepass to series S for value, and you can see where this goes....

also, dude starts by basically saying the $100 price difference is insignificant, then spends two minutes discussing why ps5 should undercut series X by ....$50 :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

there's no need to be upset.gif

He mentions all that in the video near the end, but I do agree with him that Series S isn’t really competing with PS5 Digital.

sircaw

Banned
Interesting comments from Matt Hargett in RGT's podcast on the benefits of a super fast I/O.

Matt thinks the biggest benefits of the SSD won't be no loading and gameplay design (like long corridors or elevators) but it instead it will be much more efficient use of RAM which will be a significant upgrade over current gen.

This is because the fast I/O will allow only what's in the immediate field of view to be streamed in and out instantly instead of anything which is much further away and out of view. Matt called the data which is in the field of view and relevant as "warm/hot" data and the much further data as "cold". This will also allow the developers to stream in much more polygon/triangle heavy assets as well as much higher quality textures to the point were the GPU may become the bottleneck because can it even render such high polygon assets and high resolution textures fast enough?

Can we speculate on the math of this? I'm not good with numbers so hopefully someone can do a better job than me.

PS4 had 8 GB of RAM and 4.5 GB of it was available for the game, keep in mind this 4.5 GB the game was using would most likely be made up of 50-60% of cold data which was not even in the field of view and irrelevant for the next few seconds of gameplay, this was due to the constraints of the slow HDD. Considering this, developer were still able to create jaw dropping visuals and graphics like we saw in Uncharted 4, Last of Us 2 and God of War.

Now let's think about the RAM usage on the PS5, it's 16 GB total and how much will be available for the game? does 2 GB sound like a fair figure for the OS RAM reserve? maybe more but let's run with the numbers. Now the PS5 would have 14 GB of RAM available to the developer and for the game, that's a 200% increase over the PS4. More importantly this 14 GB of RAM will only need to be filled with hot/warm data thanks to the PS5's SSD and would contain zero cold data, the potential for this is insane when you think about it.

This is all speculation of course and I might have gotten some of the numbers wrong but would be curious to know what everyone else thinks?
Thank you for the precis of the video, appreciate it.
I think this is a debate that is beyond my understanding, maybe geordiemp geordiemp slut face one will be around some time, to help out.

Hi Geordie

Precisely. More efficient usage of RAM is the benefit. It's just that more efficient usage of RAM is directly tied to what I have bolded in red. That warm/hot data you speak of will allow the player to explore the world at a much faster, less restricted pace because you don't have to worry about the player running into an unloaded section because you can always load just in time.

I chuckle whenever I hear people say that the SSD won't help with graphics. The SSD won't make the GPU more powerful, but it will allow for more efficient usage of RAM, which will allow for higher quality textures and assets which will be perceived by your eye as "better graphics".

Guy im not saying the 4chan leak is gospel, or even true, but the last of us 2 being a disappointment to sony is probably the most realistic thing on there. Weird hill to die if your going to dismiss that litst.
4 million in 3 days at a min price of $60 which is $240 million in revenue and the game has probably sold few more millions at his price. There is a cut for retailer but not on the store so i think Sony would love to have a lot of disappointments like The Last of Us Part II.

HAL-01

Holy shit!

Please be true. It's the one thing I didn't like about PSVR: the controllers (and tracking in general). Going for a larger tracked space with proper controllers and PS5 level graphics.... Wow!
If the Oculus Quest 2 is anything to go by, you'll get near 4K resolution, hand and finger tracking controllers, and inside out tracking for something in the ballpark of $250. (Not to mention possibly Wifi 6 wireless VR streaming)

zaitsu

Banned
If the Oculus Quest 2 is anything to go by, you'll get near 4K resolution, hand and finger tracking controllers, and inside out tracking for something in the ballpark of $250. (Not to mention possibly Wifi 6 wireless VR streaming)
Yes my predictions for PSVR2 :
-price lower than 300$
-oled
-120HZ
-at least 2K for Eye
-controllers ala INDEX
-GTA5 VR timed exclusive :D
-WIRELESS !!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom