• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
This.

I don't think i've seen anyone arguing no-LODs at all in UE5.

I'm not sure who onesvenus onesvenus is actually speaking to.
lol I have a few times, with the caveat that they just weren't clear on it, and that I admittedly don't know WTF I'm talking about

Bo on the other hand has been convinced there are definitely no LODs and has been in a lot of arguments about it.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

lol I have a few times, with the caveat that they just weren't clear on it, and that I admittedly don't know WTF I'm talking about

Bo on the other hand has been convinced there are definitely no LODs and has been in a lot of arguments about it.
even tho Lods are still here you cant see any off the transition effects or change in LoD during todays video. nanite is doing a good job at hiding it

onesvenus

This.

I don't think i've seen anyone arguing no-LODs at all in UE5.

I'm not sure who onesvenus onesvenus is actually speaking to.
You can take a look at like 10 pages back where I answered this same question with various quotes from posters saying that UE5 wouldn't feature any LOD system at all.

Thanks. It seems I was right this time. Sorry for the heated discussions though, I know I can seem rude when writing here.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

even tho Lods are still here you cant see any off the transition effects or change in LoD during todays video. nanite is doing a good job at hiding it
Yeah but that is likely using an enormous amount of data, generating potentially more LODs than is feasible to store for a game.

All PS5s are gone.

Holy heck.
Shopping Corona GIF by jjjjjohn

Animated GIF

I was lucky getting my first bundle through them they let me return everything I didn't want but I think they stopped that

That's trash. If they had some crazy bundle with Demons Souls, Spiderman and Ratchet I'd be all for it. But there's always one game that I don't want at all in these bundles. Not to mention many bundles include accessories that I don't need just to inflate the price.

I guess I'll have to keep playing the online lottery with the bots until I get the one I want. Really frustrating though.

assurdum

Banned
I thought it was a native 4K before this video. The fact that ElAnalistadeBits just ran with a Native 4K without double checking for reconstruction is very questionable.
Eh you missed a lot of his videos. During the one X Vs pro era, he continually spread out higher resolution from the nothing many times.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
So seems it was 1080p on all platforms in the end. ElAnalistdelBite competency strikes again.

I thought it was a native 4K before this video. The fact that ElAnalistadeBits just ran with a Native 4K without double checking for reconstruction is very questionable.
There is a reason why they ban threads about their videos here, lol.

I'm shocked other sites dont do the same....

IntentionalPun

Hate to pat myself on the back*, but this paragraph from the Nanite documentation sounds like it was copied from like 50 of my posts over the last year lol:

Data size on disk is an important factor when considering how content is delivered — on physical media or downloaded over the internet — and compression technology can only do so much. Average end user's internet bandwidth, optical media sizes, and hard drive sizes have not scaled at the same rate as hard drive bandwidth and access latency, GPU compute power, and software technology like Nanite. Pushing that data to users is proving challenging.

Nanite compression is still fucking amazing though.

* I do not, in fact, hate, to pat myself on the back

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

That seems like a likely next candidate for a PC release.

TLOU would probably be next.

Does sound like day-one PC releases are in store from some future Sony GAAS titles, which also makes sense.

I bet they'll keep their big prestige SP games exclusive for a while though.

Last edited:

LucasBR

That seems like a likely next candidate for a PC release.

TLOU would probably be next.

Does sound like day-one PC releases are in store from some future Sony GAAS titles, which also makes sense.

I bet they'll keep their big prestige SP games exclusive for a while though.

I guess if they launched their games at the same time on both platforms it'd be "bad" for PlayStation, I believe this kind of strategy to launch its IP's on PC after two or three years is perfect.

IntentionalPun

I guess if they launched their games at the same time on both platforms it'd be "bad" for PlayStation, I believe this kind of strategy to launch its IP's on PC after two or three years is perfect.
Well I'd love day one releases.. but for Sony I think it makes more sense to focus on PS5, not just for exclusivity reasons, but just to hit a better release rhythm. And they'll keep it mysterious, never really telling us which games/when.

They'll likely be considering PC during development though more often than not, but I could also see some games just completely ignoring PC.

LucasBR

Well I'd love day one releases.. but for Sony I think it makes more sense to focus on PS5, not just for exclusivity reasons, but just to hit a better release rhythm. And they'll keep it mysterious, never really telling us which games/when.

They'll likely be considering PC during development though more often than not, but I could also see some games just completely ignoring PC.
I'm not a PC guy, only Football Manager on it so for me it doesn't matter at all releasing Sony's Ips on PC. I 100% agree with you when you say is a better rhythm and better for the platform.

LucasBR

According to Joe Miller on twitter GoW Ragnarok will be PS5 only, can't wait to see what Santa Monica will do with PS5 hardware.

IntentionalPun

According to Joe Miller on twitter GoW Ragnarok will be PS5 only, can't wait to see what Santa Monica will do with PS5 hardware.
Makes sense to me; it's always been a bit of a "set piece" showcase series, and PS5 is gonna be able to push scenes PS4 can't in that regard.

LucasBR

Makes sense to me; it's always been a bit of a "set piece" showcase series, and PS5 is gonna be able to push scenes PS4 can't in that regard.

Yeah, and GoW is like a "franchise player" to Sony, everyone loves it and want to see it using 100% of PS5 without any setbacks on development, I guess Horizon will be the last major IP to be cross-gen.

Maybe. It's still telling you what it "is". Uncharted is still Uncharted, and God of War "Ragnarok" is still obviously the upcoming sequel.

Yes, but it also could be another mistake. Fact is, companies don't usually make formal announcements for game releases on new platforms by haphazardly including it on a slide.

There's been no formal announcement, so why not exercise caution and wait for it?

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Could be a mistake.. but I wouldn't really call googling logos a mistake.. it's what would be expected of a presentation like that.

But still possible.. thing is UC4 being one of the next games just makes sense.

I mean they've got a movie coming out too.

And are probably porting their engine for Factions.

Last edited:
Could be a mistake.. but I wouldn't really call googling logos a mistake.. it's what would be expected of a presentation like that.

But still possible.. thing is UC4 being one of the next games just makes sense.

I mean they've got a movie coming out too.

And are probably porting their engine for Factions.

I don't disagree it makes sense, and it probably is coming.

The game has sold all it is going to sell on PS4, and PS5 gamers got it for free with the PS Plus collection. So extracting additional value from the IP from the PC audience sounds like a solid move.

I just would caution anyone jumping to conclusions based on the tenuousness of this slide, until a full announcement.

Last edited:
Okay so after today's UE5 presentation, we can kinda confirm that some next gen games running on that engine will be 1080p and use Temporal Super Resolution to reach 4K?

IntentionalPun

Okay so after today's UE5 presentation, we can kinda confirm that some next gen games running on that engine will be 1080p and use Temporal Super Resolution to reach 4K?
Epic seems to suggest next-gen consoles should expect 1080p->4k upscales. 60FPS for large open worlds, 30FPS for indoor games that use more advanced lighting:

Lumen's Global Illumination and Reflections primary shipping target is to support large, open worlds running at 60 frames per second (fps) on next-generation consoles. The engine's High scalability level contains settings for Lumen targeting 60 fps.
Lumen's secondary focus is on clean indoor lighting at 30 fps on next-generation consoles. The engine's Epic scalability level produces around 8 milliseconds (ms) on next-generation consoles for global illumination and reflections at 1080p internal resolution, relying on Temporal Super Resolution to output at quality approaching native 4k.

But that doesn't mean we wouldn't get scalability options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom