• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHK and Japan Ranks Top 100 Anime List to Celebrate 100 Years of Anime!

Yeah, I kind of see this list as both a mix of otaku and popular taste. It's very accurate in that sense.
I mean when a series gets enough fans some will inevitably be hardcore Otakus

I also wonder how a manga focused poll would look in comparison, since manga are much more mainstream in Japan

Kalentan

SAO has husbandos and waifus. Get with the times.

I just... I just don't get it... Like if they were talking about SAO abridged, then maybe? Cause that actually has things called, characters. But no, they're talking about plain old SAO...

Like no wonder why for every FMAB you get like 10 SAO's.

Ok let's have a topic about the list. If there was an anime fighting game that had characters from the top 100 NHK list, would you buy and play it?

MGrant

List seems to be mixed between TV series and movies... Love Live dumpster fire almost at the top, but no Dragonball, Doraemon, Tekkaman, FLCL, fuck, Akira down at 97 -- the more I look at this list the more ridiculous it is. Was the survey given exclusively to eleven year-olds?

rackham

Banned
Japan's full of weabs

Also...Yu Yu Hakusho at 65?? That's top 2 anime for sure. Berserk not even on the list? Go to hell

PSY・S;235589107 said:
Not even Cardcaptor Sakura? That's only one I recognize and thought most would too.
Code Geass was also pretty popular during it's run, though I suppose if you weren't active in the anime community back then it's be easy to miss

_Ryo_

I mean theyre right that Steins;Gate comes directly after Cowboy Bebop but theyre numbers placement is just all kinds of wrong.

Fate/Zero at No.50

aa6.jpg

I can't help but feel like Pizza Hut is responsible for this.

Of course you forgot to bold Code Geass.

Code Geass was also pretty popular during it's run, though I suppose if you weren't active in the anime community back then it's be easy to miss

I'm ashamed to say this was the ONE anime I did a cosplay for at one point in my life. I'll try to hunt down my old pics if I can find them, but I did a pretty kickin' Lelouch cosplay back in the day.

Now I'm a decade older, aged like shit, and can't pull it off anymore ;_;

I'm watching Tiger and Bunny for the first time as a result of this list. Let's just say it's more bizarre than JoJo.
Tiger and Bunny was a fun series (though I never got around to finishing it) but the real reason it's so high on the list is definitely the Fujoshi fanbase

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
How much quality is concentrated in the nearly 1000 episodes of Detective Conan?

PSY・S;235590094 said:
Woah wait, Dragon Ball isn't even on the list. These lists are always dumb lol.
Dragonball is super popular, but it's undercut by having less appeal to super hardcore otaku, a relatively poor adaption of the source material (in terms of animation, pacing, etc.) and being the series that a lot of people enjoy but don't consider a favorite

Linkark07

Banned
I'm ashamed to say this was the ONE anime I did a cosplay for at one point in my life. I'll try to hunt down my old pics if I can find them, but I did a pretty kickin' Lelouch cosplay back in the day.

Now I'm a decade older, aged like shit, and can't pull it off anymore ;_;

Lelouch or Zero? Or
Emperor Lelouch?
Details, details!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Love Live officially better than your favourite show*

Stay losing losers!

*With two exceptions

Apzu

This list is just...
Fx3GipH.gif

The only things I can agree with is that the first season of Code Geass was better than the second one and that Gintama is one of the best animes ever.

woopWOOP

I once looked up Tiger & Bunny, but was then turned off because it didn't star an actual tiger and bunny.

But I guess it's actually super duper awesome then?

It seems like there's anime compilation NHK picture going on when I go through the feed, but I dunno where the full image is:

C-6iRICXoAI5Szj.jpg:large

Anyone can help me?

I found a portion of it:

C-6fuVmWAAE2Bt4.jpg

Looks like it's not from the NHK nvm.

Galang

Banned
This list is a COMPLETE mess. I'm impressed they put Cardcaptor Sakura in the top 10, but otherwise yikes.

Honestly, this list is not good as a reflection of artistic quality but it's exactly what I'd expect from an online popularity poll. It's no worse than MAL's own Top Anime list, except that that list is centered around the tastes of Western male anime fandom whereas this list incorporates the tastes of Japanese male and female anime fandom. There's no need to view it as anything but a signifier of franchises with strong, active fanbases.

Zyrox

That list is quite something.

Giratina movie is kinda random but I'll allow it because Giratina is the best legendary.

Top Bottom