• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crunchyroll: Character Deaths: Which Shocked Anime Fans the Most? (Spoilers)

NIna's death is one of the few deaths in anime that still bothers me :( i was shocked man, wasn't expecting that. Also Kamina's as well, thought he'd be the main character. Krillin's is probably the only one i agree with on that list, i wouldn't put lelouch on the list since in the same episode they hint that he's not dead.

Some of these are kinda weird, others are fair enough.

Bernie from Gundam 0080 at 26? You see it
the burgers
coming from a mile away.

Except that we see the exact same thing happen to multiple other characters prior to his reveal?
Yeah but Kite wasn't that important so I figure they'd actually off him and make death real for once. LIke, it wasn't gutwrenching or anything. It was just "oh, so people CAN die in this thing!" they even built up to it too. then they took it away because Shonen.

Moaradin

Yeah but Kite wasn't that important so I figure they'd actually off him and make death real for once. LIke, it wasn't gutwrenching or anything. It was just "oh, so people CAN die in this thing!" they even built up to it too. then they took it away because Shonen.

Seems weird to complain about characters not dying in HUNTER X HUNTER of all things.

dpunk3

Spike Spiegel isn't on this, list invalidated.

And why the FUCK isn't Nagisa on here!?

Edit: Apparently Nagisa is on here. At 37. Yea, fuck this list.

Go ask Squala how temporary HxH death is.

No siegfried Kircheis? Or even the magician Yang guys? Their dead came so suddenly.

Siegfried was foreshadowed so fucking hard. Literally every line about him that wasn't from Reinhard was "He's such a great guy. That will get him killed. This war is no place for a man like him".

casiopao

Siegfried was foreshadowed so fucking hard. Literally every line about him that wasn't from Reinhard was "He's such a great guy. That will get him killed. This war is no place for a man like him".

We know he is probably going to perish for sure. But his dead come with such a shokingly low key event.

It come out of nowhere as at that time Reinhard and most of the viewer is still enjoying the winning Euphoria over those disgusting nobles lol. But boom. Kircheis is gone. Wut.0_0

LotusHD

Banned
Another one that comes to mind is Berserk, where
the entire fucking Band of the Hawk dies because Griffith is so fucking selfish.
In hindsight it's not really surprising that it happened, but still shocking in the sense that shit hit the fan so very quickly.

LOL. This is just as stupid as Haki in One Piece. No, probably stupider.

tenor.gif

LOL. This is just as stupid as Haki in One Piece. No, probably stupider.

Haki isn't even complicated. It's manifested willpower. It's no different then ki in Dragon Ball, or most other similar things. Unless it's gotten significantly more complex (the last thing I saw done with Haki was the manifestation of Usopp's, so it's been awhile since I read any), it's not even on the same tier of something like Nen. Nen is similar to furyoku and spirit shit in Shaman King, if we're attempting to make comparisons.

Haki isn't even complicated. It's manifested willpower. It's no different then ki in Dragon Ball, or most other similar things. Unless it's gotten significantly more complex (the last thing I saw done with Haki was the manifestation of Usopp's, so it's been awhile since I read any), it's not even on the same tier of something like Nen. Nen is similar to furyoku and spirit shit in Shaman King, if we're attempting to make comparisons.

Nen reminds me more of Stands honestly

Nightbird

I feel like Kamina is a great example whether you like him as a character or not.

The narrative sets him up not as a supporting character but as the clear deuteragonist. He is arguably the driving force behind the early part of the show, and the only reason you would ever really know Simon is the main character is because genre-savvy fans know that the core drill and Lagann will be important, and Simon will EVENTUALLY grow past his early timidness to become the real lead. But even then, the show sets up several moments to let you know that Kamina has an arc of his own ahead, that much of his bluster is a front and he will need to have the OPPOSITE arc Simon does (learning it's okay to be vulnerable and that you don't have to be the hero 100% of the time).

And then the show kills him with no warning Gurren gets taken out while fighting the first of the four generals, and you basically don't find out until after the whole battle is won that he actually died in the process. The show then does everything in its power to make that loss hurt, draining the color from the artstyle and leaving us with only a moody and supremely unlikable Simon for quite some time (until Nia comes along, literally bringing color back to the show as she brings positive energy back to the cast). And long after Kamina's death, the team is basically patterning their imagery and attitude all off of one man.

Kamina is easily one of the most impactful deaths in all of anime, and it makes no sense that he isn't in the top 10. Not behind fucking Mami and Kaworu.

Great post.

Kamina is one of the heaviest deaths I've ever seen in anime. But also the best.

It really meant something and did change the series.

Simple answer

First few episodes and the main character gets his chest blown out? God damn

HAHAHAHAHA

Effect

Did Lelouch's death really surprise people? I always felt that story could have ended one of two ways. Him in control or him dying with it always leaning toward him dying in the end. Same thing with Death Note. To much shit was pulled by the characters and they had to much blood on their hands to live or get away.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
That's the only form of emotional resonance one could get from it imo. Not because of Ace himself.

Also, as I strictly believe the magic of One Piece is the entire crew/nakama relationship, the splitting up of the team by Kuma earlier on had a much more resonating effect for me than Ace's death. Again, I honestly didn't give a damn about Ace; only when we got that flashback did I manage to care, but womp, too little too late. I have many problems with the Whitebeard War stuff overall, the handling of Ace's character being just one of them.
Ace was and continues to be a popular as fuck character in Japan. More popular than most SH's.

In the same way Yamcha and Light were, yea.

Lelouche isn't even dead so this is complete bullshit to begin with.
I don't know about Light, but don't compare Yamcha to Spike. The reason why Yamcha should be shocking is because all of these characters that you've been attached to for years have now all been slaughtered right before you, without ceremony. No build up, just "Boom dead." I don't know anything about Light. Spike was built up though. He's an inherently tragic character walking to his final confrontation that ends his character arc. They did everything to let the viewer know, just short of actually saying it, that Spike is going to die.

They're not even close to the same type of death. No one would have assumed Yamcha would be murked so easily after they spent all that time training. There was no reason to believe he would die before even doing literally anything.

daveo42

Banned
Totally Ace because of Oda's unwillingness to kill off any characters up to that point. Then BAM. Ace and Whitebeard killed back to back. I think it blew pretty much everyone away at that point. I mean, OP had guys actually explode still survive and come back a few issues later just covered in bandages.

Nicholas D. Wolfwood.

Never forget.

Never FORGIVE.
This is why you just kill people instead of trying to grow kindness...granted Knives controlled the dude at the time but still. Legatos is also super fucked up.
In the same way Yamcha and Light were, yea.

Lelouche isn't even dead so this is complete bullshit to begin with.
Light was shocking the first time. On subsequent viewings you just start realizing motherfucker gotta get got.

Kamina was the ultimate swerve, didn't even make it halfway through the total episode count.
That said Maes Hughes got me the most, he was just too likeable, in a sense I should've known he was destined to die.

Meanwhile the number one character choice here was dull as dishwater and the only thing his death got out of me was "oh, so people can die outside of flashbacks!", fuck Ace.
But yeah I suppose it was unexpected as a result.

Kamina was the ultimate swerve, didn't even make it halfway through the total episode count.
That said Maes Hughes got me the most, he was just too likeable, in a sense I should've known he was destined to die.

Meanwhile the number one character choice here was dull as dishwater and the only thing his death got out of me was "oh, so people can die outside of flashbacks!", fuck Ace.
But yeah I suppose it was unexpected as a result.
Nina Tucker got me bad. "Ed...Waaard"
heart-attack.jpg

Servbot24

Banned
Not reading the OP since I haven't seen every anime ever made.

For me the biggest shocks were in Death Note and Gurren Lagan.

rackham

Banned
Maes from full metal was the only one that was kind of shocking.

Also, neji dying and actually staying dead was a surprise in naruto.

Maes from full metal was the only one that was kind of shocking.

Also, neji dying and actually staying dead was a surprise in naruto.
Neji only really stayed dead cause Deva Pain couldn't Dragonball his fucking ass up and Cobra Commander Kabuto couldn't rez his ass. If his death was earlier then I'm pretty sure he would've came back in some form.

rackham

Banned
Neji only really stayed dead cause Deva Pain couldn't Dragonball his fucking ass up and Cobra Commander Kabuto couldn't rez his ass. If his death was earlier then I'm pretty sure he would've came back in some form.
Say it however you want but the fact that a younger character actually died was a surprise. Even Might Guy disintegrated nearly his entire body and survived.

Alx

Wolfwood
in Trigun got me bad. His deaths are quite different in the anime and the manga, but both are very powerful. I liked the character.

Nina Tucker got me bad. "Ed...Waaard"
I can still send some of my friends into a shock state by uttering the chimera style "big brother...ed"

Say it however you want but the fact that a younger character actually died was a surprise. Even Might Guy disintegrated nearly his entire body and survived.
Neji died so Naru-Hina could live.

the most surprising thing in Naruto regarding dead dudes is that Jiraiya was actually left in the depths of the rain village instead of trotted back out for the war arc so Naruto could have some closure.

McBryBry

Mayuri
in Steins;Gate. Didn't see it coming at all. Was a total shock that then became a plot point for the rest of the show.

What was Neji even going to do if he had lived? Date Ten Ten?
I can still send some of my friends into a shock state by uttering the chimera style "big brother...ed"
I think the first time I watched that it fucked my entire day up.

Top Bottom