• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier 2 announced (Square Enix, Yoko Taro, Platinum Games, Akihiko Yoshida, PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Sorry if this has been asked before, but is the 360 version the one to go for with the first Nier? I have both consoles, but I know multiplat games of that era were often pretty rough on PS3, and it seems like 360 copies are about half the price on Ebay anyway.

I've always heard good things about Nier, but now that Platinum's doing the sequel it's shot to the top of my must-play list.

They are more or less the same, but I think the PS3 version had better sound quality or something like that. Still, it's such a minor difference you can't go wrong with either version.

aravuus

Looks like I've lost my Nier copy so I gotta ask here, anyone know of a fun 100-ish% Nier let's play? Commentary is a plus as long as the LPer isn't obnoxious.

Hektor

Dammit, I keep seeing this and it makes me want to turn Neir back on to get the C and D endings.

If you've never experienced those endings, you didnt actually finished the game, lol.

Looks like I've lost my Nier copy so I gotta ask here, anyone know of a fun 100-ish% Nier let's play? Commentary is a plus as long as the LPer isn't obnoxious.

Nier is a game you've to expereicne for yourself. You will lose out on a huge thing that i dont wanna spoil, by watching a LP.

aravuus

Nier is a game you've to expereicne for yourself. You will lose out on a huge thing that i dont wanna spoil, by watching a LP.

Sure, but like I said, I've only lost my copy. That is, I've already finished it a couple of times (and seen all the endings, yeah yeah).

4Tran

This is mostly a screenshot LP, but it's probably the best one of Nier out there. It goes all the way to ending D and even includes details from Grimoire Nier.

RyoonZ

Banned
I always spend hours just standing here

iba3x4u.jpg

fvng

By the way, for first time players, here's how you handle side quests for Nier.

niersidequestchart.png

Basically, if you don't want to do them for story purposes, don't. The game is incredibly easy. You don't have to do any of them. It's not like Xenoblade. So many reviewers ripped on the game for the side quests. They should be considered bonus material.

You do realize that the perks of the side quests was even more well written banter between the characters on their way and back from the side quests? The writing in this game was my favorite, so i ate it all up

fvng

I saw Emi Evans tweeting about Nier 2... Okabe is confirmed, so I hope she's in it as well. She had a big part in making Nier's soundtrack, making up the fictional languages and obviously lending her gorgeous voice.

What did she say in her tweet?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Neither Kaine nor Grandma. It's Song of the Ancients.

Oh snap, yeah that's the Song of the Ancients indeed. Man this game has me so excited, I hope you get to explore the outside world all overrun by nature and shit. NieR itself took place in a sectioned off area

Lothar

Banned
You do realize that the perks of the side quests was even more well written banter between the characters on their way and back from the side quests? The writing in this game was my favorite, so i ate it all up

That's what I was meaning when I said only do side quests if you want to do them for purposes of the story. As in if you want to see more witty banter along the way. If you want to help someone out in the town. The minute one of them sounds like a pain in the ass to do, don't worry about that one.

Gbraga

new deets from famitsu, translated here: http://dokidokikusoge.moe/post/121729261991/new-nier-details-from-this-weeks-famitsu

i guess the char in the trailer isn't kaine

Thanks for this! Interesting that it isn't Kainé or Yonah, but it makes it even more interesting that it's not exactly a sequel. Can't wait to get into his twisted mind again.

I played Nier for the first time like a month ago, the timing is great!

Finished the main story and then got the second ending. Fuck collecting all the weapons, though. Watched the last one on YT.

In terms of story, I seriously was expecting more after all the GAF hype. It wasn't your standard JRPG/action game story, but it wasn't mindblowing either. I expected more weird revelations.

The bosses' backstory also could be implemented in the first playtrough. I don's see why not. It would save the players a couple of hours of doing the same thing for a bunch of cutscenes.

Anyway, the music in Nier is indeed PHENOMENAL and overall, it's a great, but flawed game. Waiting for the second one :)

It's seriously one of my favorite stories in games, the entire Gestalt/Replicant plot was very interesting and the way they handled NG+ was absolutely brilliant.

"Platinum is great at creating action games, and we've asked them to make things a little more simplified, slightly. At first I thought it was going to be a battle-heavy action game, but luckily for us, a lot of Platinum Games' staff members really respect Nier and took it to heart, and understand the project.

"We're really fortunate in that they essentially took the battle system and the game design of the original Nier and added Platinum Games-type elements on top of it to make this hybrid if you will. It's not like it's a completely new game, they really have respect for the previous game."

Oh fuck yes!!

It's truly happening!

Don't worry, the only thing that awaits you past that part in Drakengard 3 is heartbreak and rage

Mainly rage

Actually, you should just youtube it because the rage will consume you. (Further spoiler below for Drakengard 3)

HAHA YOU THINK THE LEVEL IS OVER BUT NOPE FUCK YOU PLAYER I'M YOKO TARO I DO WHAT I WANT FUCK YOU YOU GOTTA DO THE WHOLE BOSS OVER!!

I found out about that prior to starting it. I keep on failing on the
last part before everything slows down. It gets me every time. I know the last note needs to be played after Zero says "What?" and right before Mikhail starts talking. That is trolling of the highest degree. I wonder how many people went in blind and failed at that part thinking that they had completed the fight after the screen turned black.

"Platinum is great at creating action games, and we've asked them to make things a little more simplified, slightly. At first I thought it was going to be a battle-heavy action game, but luckily for us, a lot of Platinum Games' staff members really respect Nier and took it to heart, and understand the project.

"We're really fortunate in that they essentially took the battle system and the game design of the original Nier and added Platinum Games-type elements on top of it to make this hybrid if you will. It's not like it's a completely new game, they really have respect for the previous game."

Oh fuck yes!!

It's truly happening!

It sounds so perfect. How can this be real?

Zhao_Yun

I'm on Gaming page 1 and see Nier 2, The Last Guardian, Shenmue 3, FFVII Remake, Star Ocean 5 AND KH3. (and FFXV exists).

Wtf is going on?

Especially surprised that this happens during E3. Imo E3 has been pretty boring for fans of mainly Japanese games these last few years but this year has been pretty good (apart from Persona 5 not having a more prominent role).

This is first announcement that has gotten me super excited. I remember hearing good things about NieR years ago and decided to check it out. Bought it for $12 at Gamestop after it got hammered by critics.

ABSOLUTELY LOVED the entire game, especially the music and storyline.

Just a few days ago my nephew was over and he was asking if I had any PS3 games and my first recommendation was NieR. It's crazy how this announcement just came out of nowhere.

So hyped.

Gbraga

Emi Evans ‏@emirevans 7 hHá 7 horas
I'm absolutely delighted that NieR 2 has been officially announced!!

Officially announced, so she already knew, so she's in. Am I jumping to conclusions or does that sound reasonable?

To be honest, I like more the serious but toned down Taro from Nier 1 than the crazy Taro from Drakengard 1 and the short stories from Grimoire Nier/ Drama CD.

Totally agree with that, actually.

Kainé masturbating after killing shades, ok, I can go with that, it was an interesting side story, not to mention super hot
aPg9e4u.png
, but stuff like fucking a corpse is very close to being 3edgy5me. If that kind of stuff was in the game, I'm not sure I would be able to fall in love with it as much as I did, and then be able to deal with all the crazy stuff because I'm already invested in that world.

This is a reality based on a fantasy.

You just put a huge smile on my face. What a time to be alive!

fvng

You guys worried about CERO A should actually read the Interview itself.

He said they shot for a lower rating for Nier and ended up with D, pretty much implying that even though they are shooting for CERO A doesn't have any indication on what the final product will be.

Emi Evans ‏@emirevans 7 hHá 7 horas
I'm absolutely delighted that NieR 2 has been officially announced!!

Officially announced, so she already knew, so she's in. Am I jumping to conclusions or does that sound reasonable?

Totally agree with that, actually.

Kainé masturbating after killing shades, ok, I can go with that, it was an interesting side story, not to mention super hot
aPg9e4u.png
, but stuff like fucking a corpse is very close to being 3edgy5me. If that kind of stuff was in the game, I'm not sure I would be able to fall in love with it as much as I did, and then be able to deal with all the crazy stuff because I'm already invested in that world.

You just put a huge smile on my face. What a time to be alive!

I wish I could go back in time to relive it all again :D

Man.

This is all kinds of trippy, particularly coming straight off of Drakengard 3 and thinking that they should pair the creator's weird ideas and tone to some developer who can actually make decent action combat. Apparently, somebody thought the same thing at SE.

And that just warms my heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom