• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier 2 announced (Square Enix, Yoko Taro, Platinum Games, Akihiko Yoshida, PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D1 is one of the strangest things I've played.
The music actually makes me feel sick, and the repetition of the combat compounds that nauseous feeling. Really a hellish experience, when tied in with the insane plot.

aravuus

Maybe sleazy just doesn't mean what he thinks it means lol

I love SWERY, but I have a really hard time seeing what's sleazy about Nier

Golnei

I love SWERY, but I have a really hard time seeing what's sleazy about Nier

tumblr_nq5lm4yO5I1tujpdlo1_1280.jpg

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The thing about Yoko's stuff is that it actually has a point, its not just weird for the sake of being weird.

Both Drakengard and Nier are very specific responses to the way that mass-slaughter is often portrayed as being a laudable thing in videogames. To my mind he's closer to Kojima than Swery or Suda.

Rymuth

The thing about Yoko's stuff is that it actually has a point, its not just weird for the sake of being weird
This, so much.

The weirdness in Deadly Premonition was hit-or-miss for me but it *kinda* worked given the Twin Peaks inspiration.

D4 was try-hardy to the point of awfulness.

pLow7

Can someone explain the Hype ?

Never palyed the first Game but seeing the reviews it looks pretty average. Is it because of Platinum Games ? Im just curious, don't know much about the Game at all.

pLow7

Seyavesh

if you want a real answer, basically it's just got charming characters and an interesting story lined with a unique tone to the game overall. there are pretty unique uses of the medium in terms of narrative function that help to drive the themes of the game through extremely well, especially if one sticks through to the completion of the game itself ("100%ing", effectively)

alongside that it's got one of the best soundtracks made for the medium ever so that helps a lot

in terms of gameplay it has a lot of interesting ideas that are never executed or fleshed out as nicely as they should be but hold enough entertainment value in how interesting they are.

they're interesting enough to where a developer like platinum games getting their hands on it could lead to some well-developed, unique and satisfying gameplay over simply being amused by competent base executions of the ideas

to summarize: the hype is built up from the key members of the 'good' parts of nier combining with one of the most lauded development studios in the business- there's a real hope for a game that has that rare combination of compelling and truly unique gameplay, story and concepts with this absolutely bizarre and insane team

also a lot of it is because literally 0 people expected it to happen because the director's games (including nier) have a long history of selling generally poorly- they always have a clear, interesting vision to them that never is executed well and this may be the first (and last) chance for folks to experience the possibility of the vision realized

It looks nice and everything but i can make a Trailer of FF13 and make it look like an amazing Game. Still curious why it's so hyped while the Reviews are average at best.

The typical hated by Journalists but loved by Gamers ?

The combat system is lack-lustre, the graphics aren't especially amazing, and on the initial playthrough the story can feel pretty generic. I'd say that the character interactions are fairly top-notch all the way through, though, which is usually what keeps you going. (The game kind of unfurls more of its narrative on the first NG+, which I'm guessing a fair few journalists never even bothered with).

It has a lot of things that would get it panned by critics, though, so in a lot of ways I can see why it reviewed mediocrely even if it's one of my favourite PS3 games.

pLow7

if you want a real answer, basically it's just got charming characters and an interesting story lined with a unique tone to the game overall. there are pretty unique uses of the medium in terms of narrative function that help to drive the themes of the game through extremely well, especially if one sticks through to the completion of the game itself ("100%ing", effectively)

alongside that it's got one of the best soundtracks made for the medium ever so that helps a lot

in terms of gameplay it has a lot of interesting ideas that are never executed or fleshed out as nicely as they should be but hold enough entertainment value in how interesting they are.

they're interesting enough to where a developer like platinum games getting their hands on it could lead to some well-developed, unique and satisfying gameplay over simply being amused by competent base executions of the ideas

to summarize: the hype is built up from the key members of the 'good' parts of nier combining with one of the most lauded development studios in the business- there's a real hope for a game that has that rare combination of compelling and truly unique gameplay, story and concepts with this absolutely bizarre and insane team

also a lot of it is because literally 0 people expected it to happen because the director's games (including nier) have a long history of selling generally poorly- they always have a clear, interesting vision to them that never is executed well and this may be the first (and last) chance for folks to experience the possibility of the vision realized

That's very good to hear. Will take a look at this for sure and if i had a PS3 or an 360 i would have gotten my hands on the first one too, it sounds very interesting.

Thanks!

The combat system is lack-lustre, the graphics aren't especially amazing, and on the initial playthrough the story can feel pretty generic. I'd say that the character interactions are fairly top-notch all the way through, though, which is usually what keeps you going. (The game kind of unfurls more of its narrative on the first NG+, which I'm guessing a fair few journalists never even bothered with).

It has a lot of things that would get it panned by critics, though, so in a lot of ways I can see why it reviewed mediocrely even if it's one of my favourite PS3 games.

Well a pretty unknown Studio developed the first Title, so i understand everybodys hopes for better gamplay since Platinum is on it now, this could get interesting especially on the "gameplay" department

PirateKing

Nier became something more on the second play through. The addition of the subs for the Gestalts made me question so many things in gaming. I just can't look at other games the same way. I mean, I was playing Final Fantasy right then I fight a few monster then questioned why the hell am I killing these monsters for? I mean, surely a lot of these monster encounters can be avoided right? Hell you're invading their territory, aren't hey defending their home?

You guys get what I'm trying to say? Drakengard gave me a lot of perspective but it really wasn't until Nier that made me question a lot of things.

Christhor

Still curious why it's so hyped while the Reviews are average at best.

The typical hated by Journalists but loved by Gamers ?

The thing is that most reviewers never finished the game. Or they did, but only once. The first playthrough of Nier is still pretty good, there's a lot of fun to be had, nice characters, etc, etc. But the truly unique parts of the game are added in new game+. I absolutely refuse to believe that any of the people who gave Nier a low score got ending B, let alone ending D.

Yoko's games just don't jive well with how the whole review system works.

Hektor

The thing is that most reviewers never finished the game. Or they did, but only once. The first playthrough of Nier is still pretty good, there's a lot of fun to be had, nice characters, etc, etc. But the truly unique parts of the game are added in new game+. I absolutely refuse to believe that any of the people who gave Nier a low score got ending B, let alone ending D.

Yoko's games just don't jive well with how the whole review system works.

One of the biggest german gaming sites said word for word, that the game is 15 hours long and has no replay value whatsover. One of the many reasons to not trust any kind of gaming press.

Usobuko

Banned
Can someone explain the Hype ?

Never palyed the first Game but seeing the reviews it looks pretty average. Is it because of Platinum Games? Im just curious, don't know much about the Game at all.

It's both.

This collaboration is taking advantage of the strengths of each party. I would get excited if it's a new Platinum project with sufficient budget. But add Yoko Taro and the rest of the NieR's team in this? High potential to deliver a good quality product.

Christhor

It's both.

This collaboration is taking advantage of the strengths of each party. I would get excited if it's a new Platinum project with sufficient budget. But add Yoko Taro and the rest of the NieR's team in this? High potential to deliver a good quality product.

Real talk, Platinum is probably the aspect of New Nier Project that worries me most. I've played some Platinum games, they're great action games, but have they ever made an atmospheric game with lots of things to do in it? If the only thing this game gets right is the action, then it'll be a major let down compared to the original.

Usobuko

Banned
Real talk, Platinum is probably the aspect of New Nier Project that worries me most. I've played some Platinum games, they're great action games, but have they ever made an atmospheric game with lots of things to do in it? If the only thing this game gets right is the action, then it'll be a major let down compared to the original.

You read this piece from gamespot yet?

'At first I thought it was going to be a battle-heavy action game, but luckily for us, a lot of Platinum Games' staff members really respect Nier and took it to heart, and understand the project.'

Still looks like Yoko Taro is in charge of the direction of this project. Platinum role seems to be like Access Games role in Drakengard 3.

Golnei

I don't think that's likely. Taro is still directing and writing the game, after all - just because Platinum were contracted for the strength of their action games doesn't necessarily mean that they're incapable of producing anything else. Look at Cavia's output before Nier; there's not all that much there which would suggest they had the potential to create something like the first game. They might not be able to adapt instantaneously to a more open structure; (especially since it's improbable that any design staff who worked on Okami would be part of this project) but they'll likely still be able to create a similar sort of atmosphere - the more rushed or underfunded projects aside, art direction has always been strong in Platinum games; and their ability to create stylised, memorable scenarios which display an acute awareness of their medium might be the perfect set of tools to produce something akin to Nier's unique nature.

Or it could be a flat, dull ARPG with some decent writing, but that all depends on how they're directed.

fvng

Is there a thorough list of all the specific games that Nier pays homage to?

I always thought the fixed camera angles in the mansion were a deliberate throwback to resident evil but my friend thought I was crazy

Hektor

I always thought the fixed camera angles in the mansion were a deliberate throwback to resident evil but my friend thought I was crazy

Your friend is the crazy one. How can he deny that?

Seyavesh

it's definitely a throwback to RE lol
the game even changes to where you can inspect almost all the random background items like in a survival horror game

as for there being a list...
off the top of my head, for gameplay shifts:
3d zelda - temple of shifting sands puzzles
2d zelda - red mountain ambushes where the camera shifts overhead, including zelda bombs
2d platformer - temple of drifting sands between rooms
diablo/isometric action game - lab under emil's mansion
text adventure - forest of the myth
shootemup - minecraft sections in red mountain
RE/survival horror - emil's mansion
lightgun game/first person shooter - DLC

there's probably a ton more that i'm forgetting

ike_

Starbucks not appreciating the hype right now

Great, now I'm hyped and hungry for some coffee ice cream. You should tweet those to SE.

Speaking of Twitter, man what is going on with Swery lately. I love the guy but him giving it to one of his PR guys about that D4 demo recently and now this. Kind of a bummer.

fvng

Speaking of Twitter, man what is going on with Swery lately. I love the guy but him giving it to one of his PR guys about that D4 demo recently and now this. Kind of a bummer.

What did I miss? What happened with Swery with the D4 demo?

Gbraga

I don't mind the whole Swery thing, your comments made me think it was far more than it actually was, haha.

He dislikes the game, big deal. Kamiya also doesn't give a fuck about some of the stuff that I love, and I still love his work and personality. People need to stop idealizing game devs so much.

Yes, it is kind of an asshole thing to say, that you're upset because something you didn't like is getting a sequel, but eh, whatever. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I just think he is salty because they didn't go back to Access games for another game but after Drakengard 3 I'd a company with a good record of stable frame-rates working on it. Go work on D4 Swery I want that second season.

fvng

That "BTW Platinum is cool" felt like he was trying to salvage whatever was left of a bridge he just just set fire to but honestly the damage is done. Platinum is #TeamNier from here on out

I just think he is salty because they didn't go back to Access games for another game but after Drakengard 3 I'd a company with a good record of stable frame-rates working on it. Go work on D4 Swery I want that second season.

Those Drakengard 3 frame rates were totally unacceptable and I'm very forgiving of frame rates as long as it's not consistently awful

ike_

Those Drakengard 3 frame rates were totally unacceptable and I'm very forgiving of frame rates as long as it's not consistently awful

Yeah, and towards the end of the console's generation to boot. I actually kind of oddly enjoyed that part of the spectacle. Plus it was the only game I can remember that gave me scenes like this:

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Eh, I thought D3 was fine, but what do I know. I thought Access did great on it. It's Drakengard, not Metal Gear.

When the game actively makes you play worse because of how bad it's running that is in no way fine. I say this as someone who actually likes the game and got the CE and all the DLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom