• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Theory dev on Hellblade II demo It's all real-time, no tricks

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
People don't harp on Sony games because they are cinematic. They harp on Sony for making the majority of their franchises follow the same formula of being 3rd person action/adventure with a lot of cinematic "hold your hand" sequences.

Those are two different things.
You just contradicted yourself, but okay. lol

What makes that claim so ridiculous is that A LOT of games today are third-person/action/adventure with cinematic.

Assassins Creed Valhala, Odyssey, Avengers, Watchdogs, Resident Evil 2 Remake, Resident Evil 3 Remake, Marvel's Guardian's of the Galaxy, Mass Effect, Control, Sekiro, A Plague Tale, Elden Ring, Red Dead Redemption 2, Monster Hunter, Shadow of The Tomb Raider, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Dark Souls, Suicide Squad, Zelda Breath of the Wild, Evil Within, Bayonetta 1 & 2, Jedi Fallen Order, Metal Gear Solid V

It's funny that people will say, "No, one is an RPG, Open World, and Souls Game!"

Bloodborne is a Souls game
Horizon Zero Dawn, Ghost of Tsushima, and Days Gone are open-world games
The Last of Us and Uncharted are third-person action games like Rise of the Tomb Raider

Then there's always the excuse "Sony games focus on a lot of cinematics".

MOST triple-A titles have cinematic cutscenes. Shadow of the Tomb Raider has set pieces and many cutscenes like Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy

Assassins Creed has many cutscenes just like Horizon Zero Dawn and Days Gone.

People like to put all Sony third-person games in one category without realizing a lot of games are third person.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Come on. You can't be serious. Sony's games are scrutinized every bit as any other first party console game.
Stop LYING!! Lol Sony gets a pass on so much shit, they've been banned from playing every Monopoly board game in the solar system. TF?

sainraja

Come on. You can't be serious. Sony's games are scrutinized every bit as any other first party console game.
^^ Yup.

Why do you assume literally anyone expressing any sort of criticism thinks the exact same thing? That's rather presumptuous of you, no?
It's always tribals lines with some fo you; if you don't like A then you must also be B, or a salty fanboy, etc.
Simply because you claim to have never seen nor heard any criticism laid against the Uncharted series does not mean they do not exist. It's a rather arrogant notion to be honest.

I can praise to Uncharted games for their visual spectacle and character drama, but I take issue with "cinematic experience" games and the over-reliance on scripted set pieces regardless of who makes them or whatever platform they're exclusives to.
Dislike or criticizing game design should not automatically imply someone is a biased fanboy, that's unreasonable.
How can we ever have genuine, interesting discourse around the subject of game design or level design if this is the frame we default to?
You can't do that here. Specially when the game in question is for Xbox. You have to echo what they are saying or not say anything at all. If you do so, you are going to be categorized and labelled and they also love to put people on their ignore lists, not only that, they especially love to announce that they did.

And I have seen several Xbox fans make negative remarks about Sony's "cinematic" approach to gaming and yet here we are with a "cinematic" Microsoft game and now it is just fine. Sorry, but this works entirely both ways. I'm not saying the criticism of HB 2 here is fair. But claiming Sony's games don't get this kind of bullshit scrutiny is simply false.

QTEs in the Spider-Man reveal received the same "concern".
I am sure he knows that and is just trying to waste everyone's time.

This tribalism crap never gets old, lol.

sainraja

^^ Yup. I have enjoyed almost all of the games they have made (minus Enslaved — I haven't played it, only a little bit).

Last edited:
Most people are likely trolling Xbox fans on here because they were the ones criticizing PlayStation games for being "walking simulators" and "cinematic" video games with shallow gameplay.

Uncharted 4 was called a "climbing simulator"
Last of Us and God of War were called "Dad simulator"
Days Gone was called "The Last of Us" Clone when it was revealed.

Many Xbox fans have called the games "movies" instead of games. Oh, there's a place outside of this forum and this stuff happens a lot across social media.

Here are examples of people criticizing sony's "cinematic" games.

God of War reveal

Google search this image and see exactly how many twitter accounts that it's linked to.. You'll see that it's mainly Xbox fanboys.

767.jpeg

PS4 Games are Interactive Movies (let's hash this low level bait out)​

Just like I said earlier, people are likely trolling just to see how Xbox fanboys react now that MS is releasing a cinematic, over-the-shoulder, third-person action game - the type of game that was heavily criticized.
Although worded quite harsh, those are legit criticisms. They took a game series people loved and changed basically everything about how you play it, of course people will be harsh because it's not what they wanted when they first thought New God of war. Imagine if DMC next game was just like God of war 2018. Fans of DMC gameplay have every right to be upset.

CamHostage

Heh, well, maybe one trick, Ninja Theory...

Physics when the giant slams the barrier apart do not seem tied to the actual collision or velocity. They probably put a physics propulsion effect event on there to throw the debris on the trigger. (It's like when a Hollywood stunt uses a ramjet to toss bodies and cars and junk around for explosions. In those, if it's not cut just right or at a perfect angle, or if you slomo it, then you can often catch the seams... on a game, it's further complicated because you can't really "cut just right" a realtime interaction.) I'm not up enough on tech to know for sure but AFAIK other games would not do that physics effects sequence "without tricks" either, but with the physicality of the giant and the lack of 100% animation control since they're building the giant as a real creature with IK on a 40-foot-tall thing and oversized physics, not just the typical hand-animated massive object approach, maybe you "see the trick" a little more.

lRDORM.gif

(Anybody who thinks I'm crazy and that it looks perfectly physical, I'm willing to be countered. I only caught it after watching it like 5 times...)

On the whole though, the physical destruction there were great, with lots of retained particles (albeit the camera pans to "reset" what you see) and a great trajectory of the debris, with wood particles floating in the air like splinters caught in the wind. Good stuff, I'm only pointing out the "tricks" as I see this one since we'll probably catch tricks more often as new hardware and technology pushes further into simulated reality.

Last edited:
I am not arguing against that, though. That was never my contention.
I agree and Hellblade 2, as of this post, sets a new bar for realtime visuals in a commercial game.
How much more definitive praise can I give? lol

Visuals are still only half of the equation, and the other half is the interactive game.
I found that latter half lacking in this case, so I hope the next showing is a lot more interesting.

Honestly, once I better understand what took place in the footage, I'm more liking what I see. I was thinking "what the hell, those spears they're throwing around sticking at all?" but I noticed that they were all literally bouncing off. Either they suck at throwing them, or that giant has absurdly strong skin.

I fully agree the raw gameplay has to look much more fun than that, but due to it being early I'm okay with not getting a more substantial gameplay demonstration.

Keihart

Although worded quite harsh, those are legit criticisms. They took a game series people loved and changed basically everything about how you play it, of course people will be harsh because it's not what they wanted when they first thought New God of war. Imagine if DMC next game was just like God of war 2018. Fans of DMC gameplay have every right to be upset.
I doubt it, Platinum has had quite the success doing open world action games, i see no reason why Capcom would not be able to do it.
This is aking at how MH changed with the release of world or even rise, there is an underlaying understanment of what the game "spirit" is, gameplay and aesthetics wise that carries over that didn't on Dino's game.

You can even see this recently with GGS, lots of fans were talking shit about it , but despite the undeniable gameplay changes, the spirit of the series is still there and the game is a success because of it, lots of franchises change with time but there is requirement on whoever is making it to understand what defines the franchise and Ninja Theory were completly out of touch.

Zelda BoTW is incredibly faithfull to the series despite diverging dramatically from the last formula that got stuck with the franchise in the previous entries, that is another great example.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
People critique reveals from MS studios far more then they do sony studios it seems. I don't see criticisms like this in every game thread.

Puddle Gate

This video of Horizon Zero Dawn was circulating across the web and people were calling it a downgrade. The footage being compared was a blurry gameplay footage from a Taipei show.

Guerilla Games actually made a statement about this because fanboys were spreading it across social media.

Ratchet and Clank could be done on last-gen hardware despite developers stating otherwise?
(No one comments on this because I'm not going to debate this topic. Devs have stated the levels are loaded instantly. Blizar Prime loads an entirely new level instantly)

This was also circulating all over social media.

This also wasn't the first time. Many Xbox fans were accusing Insomniac of being liars. This video by a dev was used as proof months later.

People are very critiquing reveals and this is not even half of it.

FlyyGOD

Meh, I think it looks average. Maybe it's because the first reveal was easily 10x better looking.

Edit: also... 30fps.... every game this gen is supposed to be 60fps. How can I even play this crap? It's impossible to go back to 30fps now. It must be because the devs didn't optimize the game properly /s
Show me a video of a game that looks better, ill wait.

I doubt it, Platinum has had quite the success doing open world action games, i see no reason why Capcom would not be able to do it.
This is aking at how MH changed with the release of world or even rise, there is an underlaying understanment of what the game "spirit" is, gameplay and aesthetics wise that carries over that didn't on Dino's game.

You can even see this recently with GGS, lots of fans were talking shit about it , but despite the undeniable gameplay changes, the spirit of the series is still there and the game is a success because of it, lots of franchises change with time but there is requirement on whoever is making it to understand what defines the franchise and Ninja Theory were completly out of touch.

Zelda BoTW is incredibly faithfull to the series despite diverging dramatically from the last formula that got stuck with the franchise in the previous entries, that is another great example.
None of those games are nearly as drastically different gameplay wise as old gow to new gow
Puddle Gate

This video of Horizon Zero Dawn was circulating across the web and people were calling it a downgrade. The footage being compared was a blurry gameplay footage from a Taipei show.

Guerilla Games actually made a statement about this because fanboys were spreading it across social media.

Ratchet and Clank could be done on last-gen hardware despite developers stating otherwise?
(No one comments on this because I'm not going to debate this topic. Devs have stated the levels are loaded instantly. Blizar Prime loads an entirely new level instantly)

This also wasn't the first time. Many Xbox fans were accusing Insomniac of being liars. This video by a dev was used as proof months later.

R&C 100% could be done on last gen hardware just not at the same visual fidelity.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
It basically looks like Deep Down in gameplay, and Deep Down in cutscene. You can tell when it switches to a scripted sequence.

What is more impressive is that the realtime gameplay loop immediately thereafter looks pretty much the same. That's impressive.

clintar

How much shit do people expect in a short video lol. What was shown is impressive regardless of what the hell it was. Ppl commenting on lack of gameplay have never played part 1. Shit like this is possible we just played and seen the matrix demo in realtime. Wtf do people want to see devil may cry style combos or someshit.
YES PLEASE!

Call it actual gameplay, not demo, not real time, not beating around the bush. Demo means a lot of things and as a dev he knows that or at least should know that. "Gameplay" in the video means absolutely nothing. If that is actual 100% user input gameplay and the game has no interface then I'll eat my words when it comes out.
Good god man, it's a gameplay reveal for crying out loud 🤣

The faces need a bit of help. Certainly looks like real time game assets to me, unlike the music video thing which clearly wasn’t.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Physics when the giant slams the barrier apart do not seem tied to the actual collision or velocity. They probably put a physics propulsion effect event on there to throw the debris on the trigger. (It's like when a Hollywood stunt uses a ramjet to toss bodies and cars and junk around for explosions. In those, if it's not cut just right or at a perfect angle, or if you slomo it, then you can often catch the seams... on a game, it's further complicated because you can't really "cut just right" a realtime interaction.) I'm not up enough on tech to know for sure but AFAIK other games would not do that physics effects sequence "without tricks" either, but with the physicality of the giant and the lack of 100% animation control since they're building the giant as a real creature with IK on a 40-foot-tall thing and oversized physics, not just the typical hand-animated massive object approach, maybe you "see the trick" a little more.

lRDORM.gif

(Anybody who thinks I'm crazy and that it looks perfectly physical, I'm willing to be countered. I only caught it after watching it like 5 times...)

On the whole though, the physical destruction there were great, with lots of retained particles (albeit the camera pans to "reset" what you see) and a great trajectory of the debris, with wood particles floating in the air like splinters caught in the wind. Good stuff, I'm only pointing out the "tricks" as I see this one since we'll probably catch tricks more often as new hardware and technology pushes further into simulated reality.

There's loads of "tricks" like that in the demo, but the fact that you have to really look carefully and analyse the scene to spot them shows that they are nailing it.

I really wish people (generally) would be more open to appreciating the value of these sort of theatrical tricks in gaming. I know there's a natural interest in the technology and the prowess of new pieces of hardware, but this sort of stage-craft is arguably more impactful.

And I think its more fun, to be honest! Who the hell is down on illusionists because ultimately we understand what they are doing is a trick, not actual magic?

Corndog

Banned
Most people are likely trolling Xbox fans on here because they were the ones criticizing PlayStation games for being "walking simulators" and "cinematic" video games with shallow gameplay.

Many Xbox fans have called the games "movies" instead of games. Oh, there's a place outside of this forum and this stuff happens a lot across social media.

God of War reveal

Google search this image and see exactly how many twitter accounts that it's linked to.. You'll see that it's mainly Xbox fanboys.

767.jpeg

Just like I said earlier, people are likely trolling just to see how Xbox fanboys react now that MS is releasing a cinematic, over-the-shoulder, third-person action game - the type of game that was heavily criticized.
I thought death stranding was the walking simulator.

CamHostage

There's loads of "tricks" like that in the demo, but the fact that you have to really look carefully and analyse the scene to spot them shows that they are nailing it.

I really wish people (generally) would be more open to appreciating the value of these sort of theatrical tricks in gaming. I know there's a natural interest in the technology and the prowess of new pieces of hardware, but this sort of stage-craft is arguably more impactful.

And I think its more fun, to be honest! Who the hell is down on illusionists because ultimately we understand what they are doing is a trick, not actual magic?

Oh, I'm not complaining, I'm totally with you... if you shoot a car or motorcycle or mailbox with a shotgun, it'll just put some holes in it, but if I'm watching a movie and any of those things don't explode with a 10-foot fireball with every blast, I'm tossing that disc and putting in an old John Woo movie. Thanks, but no thanks, reality. Gimme those tricks.

Discovering the tricks that go into making your favorite games can help you understand and appreciate the artistry that goes into your games, if you're into learning how the magician does his tricks. It's one of the things I love about Shesez' Boundary Break, that it breaks down things you cannot understand are possible in a game while showing that seemingly perfectly normal things are anything but. Landing that log right on the guy when the giant smashes everything every which way, that's a lucky shot even if you're aiming, but if you handle the camera just so, the player would never notice that they just swap a guy-under-log model set in when nobody's looking...

Just pointing it out partly to begin and end the conversation about what's "not a trick", as of course there are tricks. However, it seemed apt to point out on this giant since it'd be an interesting postmort of what the giant can and can't do for "real". Usually when you make a massive computer-animated creature, you put Andy Serkis in a mocap suit and go, "OK, act really big..." Or take a normal human model, drop its movement speed 20% from a normal-sized being, add some ground-shake when it walks, and scale it 8X your player character, something like that... that's the poor man's process, at least. Here, they've actually gone to the trouble of simulating what the body frame of a 40-foot-tall giant would be, and how it would move in Earth gravity. They've taken extra effort to see what it might be like if it was real. So some of that work is going to translate right into the game; other parts of the work are nice work for the process of understanding the model, but there may still be compromises or tricks if the designers will still want it to specific things, and even then, only so much of the work can actually translate to the way the game works and you probably will have to leave the physics events independent of the character animation... it just looks cooler if it all smashes in a perfect cacophony of chaos every time the giant swipes through the barrier, so don't trust "real", trust what you can rig.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The only other I've known to have their work questioned for it looking so good, that it couldn't be real time is Naughty Dog with TLOU2.

Is Ninja theory on the level of Naughty Dog? I tend to think that Ninja Theory still has to prove itself in some respects, but in terms of sheer quality of the production...Xbox has something that can nearly match a Sony Studio.

Never woulda seen it coming...

Every post on this game divulges into controversy...I wonder why. But fr play the first game. I hope Hellblade II sticks to the first games formula and doesn't copy standard third person tropes to much. No skill trees, keep the world fairly linear, and more puzzles actually.

cragarmi

Yes it's real time even noticed LOD shift on her face at one point. On what machine? That's the question.
Yes the shifts are difficult to miss, hardly seamless as others have been impling, likely running on a dev kit at this point. The skin shaders are nice, but otherwise is a very dark scene so difficult to pick out details. Nice pom used outside the cave on the rocks though. Animations could definitely use some work, it let's the presentation of the scene down imho

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
I think it’s more the fact that neogaf has more Sony supporters. So Sony gets less criticism because there are not as many Xbox supporters.
That, or MFs are simply drinking a bunch more "Kool aid" 'round these parts!

nikolino840

God of War reveal

767.jpeg

For the last part :
Games that sells billions of sw+hw so maybe is the right formula

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Yo, i been shitting on Ninja Theory games since the PS3 days, don't bring Uncharted into this discussion.
At least ND games are heavy on the combat and mechanics department despite what warriors like to say and even setpieces are more often than not interactive which is what makes them shine when you compare them with other so called "cinematic" games.

No to mention, Uncharted and TLoU have revealed gameplay with combat segments even if only vertical slices for demo porpuses, this was just a cinematic, very hard to get any exciment over it

I agree but the Uncharted series gets a lot of criticism for being walking simulators/movie games from people that never played them. The gameplay is actually top notch with lots of variety (+ multiplayer too). They have to promote HB2 now so there's no going back. They like those games and they were craving them for years. The truth is out 😅

I played 1 hour of Uncharted 4 and 1 hour of Lost Legacy yesterday on a new 4K HDR TV and it still looks phenomenal. Visually more impressive than some games coming out in 2021.

Puddle Gate

Thank you for taking the time to prove them wrong. They've been using the victim card for so long when in reality it's always Sony and their studios that gets the most controversy (even from journalists like Jason Schreier too).

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
None of those games are nearly as drastically different gameplay wise as old gow to new gow

R&C 100% could be done on last gen hardware just not at the same visual fidelity.
There are 2D games that fail to load instantly. It's like saying many next gen games can run on last-gen hardware if you just really, really, really tone down the graphics. The point is that R&C doesn't have to do any tricks to achieve instant loading.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Thank you for taking the time to prove them wrong. They've been using the victim card for so long when in reality it's always Sony and their studios that gets the most controversy (even from journalists like Jason Schreier too).

I forgot to add this, too.

30fps was trending on Twitter after the Horizon Forbidden West State of Play reveal. I mentioned it in the State of Play reveal thread.

I saw 30fps trending on twitter..

You can guess why and which community was criticizing it. lol

No one obviously pointed out HB2 running at 30fps.

Funny.

lRDORM.gif

Yep.. I think we're overanalyzing now, but then this is my ass on Halo Infinite for months, so I can't really talk. :messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom