• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo absent from Tokyo Game Show this year

Nintendo doesn't make games any more. They just issue press releases, and their barely-sentient fans invent lineups and "innovations" based on the announcements.

It's actually kind of fun. Beats Majestic, at any rate.

Flo_Evans

It's amazing to me how nintendo can continue to make seemingly irrational bussiness desicions, yet still rake in billions of yen....

terrene

Banned
monchi-kun said:
Nintendo has never been present @ TGS in the last few years
Yeah, but they could *really use* a little publicity. You know, to sell products or something.

And when was the last Spaceworld?

terrene

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
Nintendo doesn't make games any more. They just issue press releases, and their barely-sentient fans invent lineups and "innovations" based on the announcements.

Or anything on the DS, for that matter.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Nintendo never attends TGS.

Spaceworld generally was held at the end of August the last few years they had it. The last show was in 2001, I believe.

Drinky Crow said:

Dude, what's your problem? Did Miyamoto molest you as a child or something? Your hatred of Nintendo is annoying.

akascream

Banned
Drinky Crow said:

Well, that's what we do here anyway. It's nice to have a company that caters to the non-gaming gamer.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Drinky Crow said:

Kudos, this was funny

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
terrene said:
Yeah, but they could *really use* a little publicity. You know, to sell products or something.

And when was the last Spaceworld?

why do they care? DS is outselling PSP GBA is selling well why go to a show where youre gonna have to compete with xbox and ps3?

Nintendos smart for going off and doing their own thing. It puts the focus on them and they can use the space and time however they want.

terrene

Banned
sp0rsk said:
why do they care? DS is outselling PSP GBA is selling well why go to a show where youre gonna have to compete with xbox and ps3?

Nintendos smart for going off and doing their own thing. It puts the focus on them and they can use the space and time however they want.
Yeah, that way only the Nintendo Power subscribers will know about it!

They can even do the "smart thing" and skip shipping it to retailers and demand that consumers "prove their loyalty" by driving out to buy it from Nintendo's secret treehouse.

Then, after all the third party developers realize that Nintendo doesn't give a shit about publicizing their hardware platform (and they stop spending money on creating content), Nintendo can launch an online service that lets you play the original version of the NES Super Mario Bros for the 2,013,234,124th time.

Prine

Banned
terrene said:

They can even do the "smart thing" and skip shipping it to retailers and demand that consumers "prove their loyalty" by driving out to buy it from Nintendo's secret treehouse.

Then, after all the third party developers realize that Nintendo doesn't give a shit about publicizing their hardware platform (and they stop spending money on creating content), Nintendo can launch an online service that lets you play the original version of the NES Super Mario Bros for the 2,013,234,124th time.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
With the DS dominating in Japan and the GC dead in the water until Zelda this is inconsequential. If anything they need more publicity of all the great DS games coming to the west soon.

APF

sp0rsk said:

It furthers the perception that Nintendo isn't capable of competing in the same space.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
APF said:
It furthers the perception that Nintendo isn't capable of competing in the same space.

Well that and they keep saying they don't want to compete in the same space.

Jeff-DSA

I just think it's odd that they spend so much money on E3 which is held in a losing territory for them but that they don't spend a dime in Japan where they still have a shot.

APF

catfish said:
Well that and they keep saying they don't want to compete in the same space.
I read so many mixed messages about their goals I have no idea what to think.

sprsk

APF said:

Or does it mean nintendo is too good to be in the same room as sony and microsoft?

either way its not a bad thing.

Okay so what youre saying is

1. If nintendo isnt at a JAPANESE trade show no ones gonna cover it? are you fucking stupid?

2. Since when did nintendo having its own bigass debut party send messages to 3rd parties that they arent going to publicize their shit?

I guess no one covered the N64 premiere either? Only if you read nintendo power would you know about mario64! Nintendo knows they will get press no matter what they do, because retards like you cant shut up about them.

Link316

Banned
I don't mind Nintendo not going, they're just doing Sony a big favor by giving the PSP free reign at the show :)

Link

The Autumn Wind
Link316 said:
I don't mind Nintendo not going, they're just doing Sony a big favor by giving the PSP free reign at the show :)
Well, after E3, Nintendo owed them anyway.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Phoenix Dark said:
Dude, what's your problem? Did Miyamoto molest you as a child or something? Your hatred of Nintendo is annoying.

Actually, I find his hatred of Nintendo strangely satisfying.

terrene

Banned
sp0rsk said:
Or does it mean nintendo is too good to be in the same room as sony and microsoft?

either way its not a bad thing.
Uh, yeah. That's how to impress consumers. "We're too good to be in the same room as all the other companies and game developers."

Okay so what youre saying is

1. If nintendo isnt at a JAPANESE trade show no ones gonna cover it? are you fucking stupid?

I must be, because I don't remember saying that. It pleases me that you were clever enough to decode my hidden message.

2. Since when did nintendo having its own bigass debut party send messages to 3rd parties that they arent going to publicize their shit?

When? Where? Who will care?

Nintendo doesn't own the market anymore, and nobody owes them a spot in hardware. So long as people have finite incomes, there is a limited amount of money a consumer is going to spend on video games. Nintendo can play mini-games in La La land all they want, but guess what? Because of that singular fact, they're fucking competing with Sony and Microsoft, whether they like it or not -- especially because they refuse to make a machine that does anything but play games.

Nintendo fans need to stop pretending that their beloved company is run by geniuses. It isn't. And it's painfully clear to anyone with a working brain that they've got nothing to show and their hardware philosophy has been rendered obsolete. That's why they're not at the trade shows, that's why their E3 presentation was a 20 minute embarassment, that's why their platform is number 3 in the marketplace, and that's why nobody makes exclusive games for Nintendo systems anymore.

I guess no one covered the N64 premiere either? Only if you read nintendo power would you know about mario64!
If the N64 is your idea of a successful console, then this conversation may as well end now.

Nintendo knows they will get press no matter what they do, because retards like you cant shut up about them.
No, Nintendo will not get press "no matter what they do." Wake the fuck up.

Tiktaalik

If there is no Space World, is there another big show where Nintendo can debut the Revolution before it's launch in 2006?

Firest0rm

Zaxxon said:
If there is no Space World, is there another big show where Nintendo can debut the Revolution before it's launch in 2006?

There will be a place where Nintendo will do it before the end of this year. Either they'll choose an already existing show or they'll do their own thing.

Mooreberg

Zaxxon said:

I'm guessing they don't plan to have it out by next spring, so E3 2006 would be the big showing for them.

I would love to see a videogame 1st party company rise up that does what Nintendo doest best, only better, and all the confounding negative things that Nintendo does, this company does the exact opposite: HDTV stance, graphics matter, additional functionality, internet, online, attending TGS, etc.

sprsk

terrene said:
Uh, yeah. That's how to impress consumers. "We're too good to be in the same room as all the other companies and game developers."

I must be, because I don't remember saying that. It pleases me that you were clever enough to decode my hidden message.

When? Where? Who will care?

Nintendo doesn't own the market anymore, and nobody owes them a spot in hardware. So long as people have finite incomes, there is a limited amount of money a consumer is going to spend on video games. Nintendo can play mini-games in La La land all they want, but guess what? Because of that singular fact, they're fucking competing with Sony and Microsoft, whether they like it or not -- especially because they refuse to make a machine that does anything but play games.

Nintendo fans need to stop pretending that their beloved company is run by geniuses. It isn't. And it's painfully clear to anyone with a working brain that they've got nothing to show and their hardware philosophy has been rendered obsolete. That's why they're not at the trade shows, that's why their E3 presentation was a 20 minute embarassment, that's why their platform is number 3 in the marketplace, and that's why nobody makes exclusive games for Nintendo systems anymore.

If the N64 is your idea of a successful console, then this conversation may as well end now.

No, Nintendo will not get press "no matter what they do." Wake the fuck up.

They are getting press because they arent going to be at tgs for the umpteenth time.

"Yeah, that way only the Nintendo Power subscribers will know about it!"

"I must be, because I don't remember saying that. It pleases me that you were clever enough to decode my hidden message."

I was going to get up in arms about this, but i have a better idea.

sprsk

Drinky Crow said:
What the hell? We're banning because of DISAGREEMENTS now?

Christ, sp0rsk, should I just ban 9/10th of the forum?

Do you want i should help you?

Red Scarlet

Drinky Crow said:
What the hell? We're banning because of DISAGREEMENTS now?

sp0rsk said:
Do you want i should help you?

swb251lt.jpg

Link

The Autumn Wind
Drinky Crow said:
Could you? Anything's an improvement at this point.

EDIT - I'm already regretting this idea.

oldskool

Nintendo has a Pokemon show coming up where they will debut the DS version. Maybe they will expand upon it and include some Revolution info.

Top Bottom